Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2018, 08:30   #3556
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I am looking for a cycle for my fitness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Try Montra Blues range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I would split the bicycle selection into two steps - choose the type and then choose the model.
Anand is a marathon runner(similar to you graaja) with many marathons under his belt. Please suggest a bicycle that will aid/supplement his running.
Old 17th April 2018, 11:00   #3557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Try Montra Blues range. It is a hybrid bike with/without suspension.
There are 3 types I guess - 1) Hardtail 2) Blues 1.1 3) Blues 1.2

If your budget is low, Montra Downtown is a good way to start.
It all boils down to your budget, you can then filter your way through brands.

BTWIN has Riverside range, which is has bikes from budget ( Riverside 100 ) to premium ( Riverside 900 ), which you can consider.
Since ghat roads are in your vicinity, you will mostly need a bike with front derailleur.
Thanks a lot!
I googled about the 3 Montra cycles. 1.2 has disk brakes and good reviews. Will check it out. What's this name "Hardtail" - does it depict some kind of technology or just a brand name?

I want to ride fast in the city and I also want to ride up to the Sinhgad top parking without touching my feet to ground even once :-) I know this will have more to do with my strength than the type of cycle, but I have seen gears help. My current cycle has 3x6 gears, it was bought 8 years ago from a small shop near Shanivarwada for Rs.4500. It says Ranger something, let me post a pic. The gear shifts are not smooth and sometimes some gears slip and I have to then further downshift/upshift and then come back to the one I wanted. of course, the cycle hasn't been cared for and has withstood a lot of neglect and continues to work. This morning did 11k in 36 min on it! However, a lot of load is exerted on the wrists, so the size and fit may also be not the best for me. And the cycle can't go very fast may be because it's heavy, with big tyres and sub optimal gear ratios. Also, on downhills it free-wheels far too early thereby limiting the speed. Will Montra 1.2 address all these issue?

Quote:
I would split the bicycle selection into two steps - choose the type and then choose the model.

As you want a fast bike for flat road and ghats, no off-roading, you should go for hybrid or road bike.

For a budget in the 10K to 15K, you have Riverside 100
For a budget in the range of 20K, you can check out Montra blues or Riverside 500
For a budget in the range of 40K, you can check out Trek FX, Fuji Absolute etc.

If you want a reliable bike with minimum maintenance issues, I would suggest you start at least with the 20K budget range.
Thanks for the inputs. Yes, i want to go fast, but want a comfortable upright posture, no aggressive crouching/committed posture. is there a road bike that offers comfortable upright posture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Anand is a marathon runner(similar to you graaja) with many marathons under his belt. Please suggest a bicycle that will aid/supplement his running.
Thanks Suhas! Wow, @graaja is a runner! I am sure I can learn a lot from him then.
Old 17th April 2018, 12:08   #3558
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a lot!
I want to ride fast in the city and I also want to ride up to the Sinhgad top parking without touching my feet to ground even once :-) I know this will have more to do with my strength than the type of cycle, but I have seen gears help...

The gear shifts are not smooth and sometimes some gears slip and I have to then further downshift/upshift and then come back to the one I wanted...

Will Montra 1.2 address all these issue?
For doing hill climbs, you need to look at the lowest gear ratio, and for fast rides on flat roads, you need to look at the highest ratio. Montra blues has the following front and rear gear ratios.

Front 48/38/28
Rear - 11-32 8 speed

It has a lowest ratio of 0.875 (28:32), which should be good enough for hills with medium grade climbs. Also 48/11 is a reasonably fast high end ratio for flats (road bikes have still higher ratios like 54/11 or 54/10 etc).

Just for comparison, here are the ratios of two other bikes at a higher budget.

Fuji Absolut 1.5 (51K)
Front - 48/36/26
Rear - 11-32 9 speed

Trek DS3 (54K)
Front - 48/36/26
Rear - 11-34 9 speed

Both these bikes have still lower ratios which will make this good for long climbs. Also, they have 9 speed cassettes which will make it easier to be in the right gear.

Quote:
Yes, i want to go fast, but want a comfortable upright posture, no aggressive crouching/committed posture. is there a road bike that offers comfortable upright posture?
Road bikes with endurance geometry or cyclocross bikes will have a little relaxed posture. But even those will be very aggressive posture compared to a hybrid bike. So, if you are particular about straight posture, road bike is ruled out. But believe me, once you get addicted to speed, you will naturally graduate to a road bike in the future

Quote:
Wow, @graaja is a runner! I am sure I can learn a lot from him then.
I am not a very fast runner. I am into Triathlons and running is my weakest link. Working on that now. As first step, I am working on reducing my weight. Have managed to bring it from 89 to 75 (targeting 72). Because of this weight reduction, have been able to improve my 10K pace from 8:30 to 6:55. Have to bring it down to 6:00 to achieve a decent timing in an Olympic distance Triathlon (my best so far is 4:00 hours, want to bring it down to 3:30 hours). It would be great if you can provide me with some tips to improve my running pace
Old 18th April 2018, 16:33   #3559
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks a lot!

Montra Blues 1.2 D looks pretty decent for the price. Any idea what's the weight?
Trek DS3 has some interesting features: hydraulic disc brakes, internal cabling! Tempting. Sadly, no dealer in Pune.

I weighed my current bike - Hero Ranger Swing: 23kg! I see some road bikes are as light as 9.5kg. Any upright/hybrid that weighs under 10kg? Trek DS3 is 14kg. While googling I saw:
- Merida Speeder 300. It weighs 9.8kg. Does not have very low gearing but has the SRAM shifter.
- Marin Fairfax SC4: Hybrid with 28C tyres and hydraulic discs. But weight is not mentioned. This one looks perfectly targetted to road use but with relaxed posture.

If I let go my requirement of low gear ratio, keeping weight as the top-most criteria (<10kg), which bikes would you recommend? what's your opinion on these 2 bikes (Merida and Marin)?

Also, regarding Shimano hierarchy - how important is this? Is SRAM decisively better than Shimano?

Regarding running and pace: I would say intervals would help (they have certainly helped me improve my pace). 200m and 400m intervals once a week or so would be worth a try. I have cut down on distance and I am focusing on pace right now, so I do a lot of short runs (1/2/3km) and intervals. I will see how much my half marathon time improves with this (will try one HM in 1st week of May). My 10K best is 55 min, but that was in winter of 2016. Want to bring it to 50 min this year.

Cheers!
Old 18th April 2018, 17:44   #3560
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a lot!

Montra Blues 1.2 D looks pretty decent for the price. Any idea what's the weight?
If I let go my requirement of low gear ratio, keeping weight as the top-most criteria (<10kg), which bikes would you recommend? what's your opinion on these 2 bikes (Merida and Marin)?

Also, regarding Shimano hierarchy - how important is this? Is SRAM decisively better than Shimano?

Regarding running and pace: I would say intervals would help...
I would focus on the gearing first and then on the weight. Having a lighter bike, but improper gearing ratio will actually be worse for performance, especially if you want to do hill climbs.

Of the two bikes, I would prefer the Marin. This has the high end almost the same as the Merida (48:11 vs. 50:12), but has a very good low end (32:34 vs. 34:28). Even if the Marin is a few kilograms heavier than the Merida, this gearing will help you in your hill climbs.

Having said that, it also depends on your fitness and cycling power. If you have good cycling power, then the 34/28 ratio in the Merida should not be a problem at all, and in that case, Merida will definitely be a better option as the Tiagra components in the Merida are one level higher than the Sora components in the Marin.

Regarding Shimano vs. SRAM, personally I do not have experience with SRAM as all the bikes I have ridden have been with Shimano. But both are famous component manufacturers and both have a range of products from entry level to pro level. So, if you want to actually compare, maybe you should list the SRAM and Shimano hierarchies side by side and compare the actual level where the components fall in these hierarchies.

In my opinion, compared to your present 25kg Hero Ranger, any of these bikes will feel much much faster. If you can take a test ride, ride both the bikes and choose the one that you feel more comfortable. If you are not comfortable on a bike, all other factors like components, gear ratios etc. do not matter.

Sorry that I am not able to provide a very straight answer. When it comes to choosing bicycles, there are lots of variables that affect the selection. That is why you will always end up upgrading bikes or components as you improve your riding skills.

Wow. A 55 minute 10K! You are fast! Thanks a lot for the tips on intervals. I have been doing hill intervals. Will also incorporate 400 meter intervals on flats now.

Last edited by graaja : 18th April 2018 at 17:46.
Old 18th April 2018, 18:05   #3561
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Trek DS3 has some interesting features: hydraulic disc brakes, internal cabling! Tempting. Sadly, no dealer in Pune.
I'd suggest looking at buying bikes like you are buying a car. Online specs are good to start with; but it's the test ride that determines what suits you within the budget you are looking for. In addition to gearing; the bike frame structure / geometrics also plays a decisive role. Try a few bikes and you'll understand. A few kilos here and there (IMO) don't really play that much of a difference.

Edit: Going against my earlier/above point; this site seems to have a discount on select trek models. A friend bought the Trek Domane recently from the site.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 18th April 2018 at 18:09.
Old 18th April 2018, 18:16   #3562
BHPian

Hi All,

I stumbled upon this amazing thread (frankly I wasnt expecting a cycle thread on T-Bhp). I recently bought a Hero Sprint Pro Trans (MTB) and took it out for a short ride.

How I arrived at this model/make:
I wanted to buy a bike since the day my LO started cycling without the trainer wheels in March - end. I had been checking out Decathlon and had zeroed out on Rockrider 340 given my budget was limited (upto 15k). I went to the market hunting for similar bikes especially Montras as it was suggested on an FB group. I was suggested Firefox, Montra Mudrock, Montra Rock1.0D, Schnell Dodge Koopa (I liked this one a lot) and few others. I took a test ride of Hero Ceralo and Trans at a LBS in which I liked Trans. the shopkeeper was asking for 13.5k. I was not able to trial Montras but they were available at Track and Trail. They quoted me 11k for Hero Trans. This was when I decided I will go ahead with Hero Trans and save some 5k vis-a-vis Montra.
The shopkeeper also conceded that this model from Hero is pretty good and they have sold many of them recently. Schnell was less specifications. Just to enumerate Hero Sprint Pro Trans features: Aluminium Alloy 6061 frame, Shimano shifters and deraileur, front suspension with lockout, disc brakes, QR saddle & front wheel, stem alloy, double wall alloy rim, alloy handle bar. This one had everything that I was looking for and much more at a lesser price.

What I would like to know:
  1. Uphill climb in a lower gear ratio: I see that my cadence is maintainable but speed of the climb is slow. How can I climb fast on an uphill?
  2. What is the ideal way to park your bike safely? I have a number lock but is that enough? Or should I use tying it to a pole in a public place?
  3. Essential Accessories - (I have already bought back-light, helmet, lock and bottle holder) - I plan to buy cycling shorts and t-shirt, bell. Am I missing anything else?
  4. What is the ideal way to carry the bike on/in my XUV? I believe I will like to take it to cycling tracks (if any in Mumbai to start with) and also take it along on my road trips.
  5. What is the ideal speed one should aim?
Any pointers on the above queries will be great.

TIA

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 21:45. Reason: Typos. LIST added.
Old 18th April 2018, 21:19   #3563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
  1. -
  2. What is the ideal way to park your bike safely? I have a number lock but is that enough? Or should I use tying it to a pole in a public place?
  3. Essential Accessories - (I have already bought back-light, helmet, lock and bottle holder) - I plan to buy cycling shorts and t-shirt, bell. Am I missing anything else?
  4. What is the ideal way to carry the bike on/in my XUV? I believe I will like to take it to cycling tracks (if any in Mumbai to start with) and also take it along on my road trips.
I am a newbie cyclist using Montra Rock 1.0D.

2) Ideally you should park near a busy shop/area to avoid theft.
Invest in good quality lock, which will deter theft from happening in first place.

4) If you have a XUV, you should be easily able to carry your bike after flipping last and middle row seats. Bike needs to be rested horizontally though. You would be surprised, but I was able to fit montra easily in my Nano after removing front wheel.( Diagonally after flipping rear seats ).So be patient and try few combinations.

5) Ideal speed will vary according to terrain and individual capability/experience.As long as your average speed keeps increasing you know you are improving. I use STRAVA app.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 21:46. Reason: Quote edited.
Old 18th April 2018, 21:36   #3564
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What I would like to know:
  1. Uphill climb in a lower gear ratio: I see that my cadence is maintainable but speed of the climb is slow. How can I climb fast on an uphill?
1. The only way to increase your speed is to maintain the same cadence at a higher gear, for which you have to develop your cycling power. Regular rides in hills will naturally improve your power and you will be able to ride faster as time goes.
2. Tie it to a pole or some other solid support using a chain based lock.
3. Get a saddle or top tube bag, and keep a spare tube and tire levers. Also get a small pump. This will help if you get flats on long rides. If you want to do some serious cycling and log the results, you can consider a bike computer or use an app like Strava in your phone.
4. You could remove the wheels and easily put the wheels and frame in the back of the XUV. If you are planning many such regular trips where you want to carry the bike, you can also get a rear mounted bike carrier or even better a roof rack.
5. This one is very subjective and depends on various factors like type of bike, type or roads you ride on, your cycling power and so on. On flat roads, with an MTB, an average rider can target anywhere from 18kph to 22kph average. With hybrids and road bikes, this will be higher. My suggestion, ride at a comfortable pace and see what speed you do. Keep riding and try to improve on your own speed.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 21:46. Reason: Quote edited.
Old 20th April 2018, 13:14   #3565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Of the two bikes, I would prefer the Marin. This has the high end almost the same as the Merida (48:11 vs. 50:12), but has a very good low end (32:34 vs. 34:28). Even if the Marin is a few kilograms heavier than the Merida, this gearing will help you in your hill climbs.

Having said that, it also depends on your fitness and cycling power. If you have good cycling power, then the 34/28 ratio in the Merida should not be a problem at all, and in that case, Merida will definitely be a better option as the Tiagra components in the Merida are one level higher than the Sora components in the Marin.

In my opinion, compared to your present 25kg Hero Ranger, any of these bikes will feel much much faster. If you can take a test ride, ride both the bikes and choose the one that you feel more comfortable. If you are not comfortable on a bike, all other factors like components, gear ratios etc. do not matter.
Ok, I will check out the bikes tomorrow. Marin responded pretty quickly via FB and confirmed SC4 weighs around 11kg. Merida Speeder 300 is not available, 200 is and priced similar to SC4 and also comes with Sora.

However, Montra Blues 1.2 D is particularly interesting because it's review is very positive and price is so attractive. Only concern is - how reliable is the review and the Tourney components would mean it won't be a true upgrade over my current Hero as far as gearing is concerned. I will check out this bike first, if I like it it will save me a lot of money!

Quote:
Will also incorporate 400 meter intervals on flats now.
Yes. Just make sure not to be aggressive right away - to avoid shin splints. Of course you are a seasoned athlete but I make this mistake time and again, hence thought of mentioning :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I'd suggest looking at buying bikes like you are buying a car. Online specs are good to start with; but it's the test ride that determines what suits you within the budget you are looking for. In addition to gearing; the bike frame structure / geometrics also plays a decisive role. Try a few bikes and you'll understand. A few kilos here and there (IMO) don't really play that much of a difference.

Edit: Going against my earlier/above point; this site seems to have a discount on select trek models. A friend bought the Trek Domane recently from the site.
Yes, agreed, I will check out the bikes tomorrow and update. not sure if they allow a test ride, good if they do.
Thanks for the tip on the Trek sale, sadly no flat bar models on sale. But may be those are available in some lesser known shops here, i will check tomorrow.

Quote:

This was when I decided I will go ahead with Hero Trans and save some 5k visasvis Montra. the shopkeeper also conceded that this model from Hero is pretty good and they have sold many of them recently. Schnell was less specifications. Just to enumerate Hero Sprint Pro Trans featuers: Aluminium Alloy 6061 Frame, Shimano Shifters and Deraileur, Front Suspension with Lockout, Disc Brakes, QR saddle & front wheel, Stem Alloy, Double wall alloy rim, alloy handle bar. This one had everything that i was looking for and much more at a lesser price.
Wow, 11k is a very good price for the given specs! What's the weight of the bike?

Last edited by anandpadhye : 20th April 2018 at 13:34.
Old 20th April 2018, 15:33   #3566
BHPian

Hello Folks - I used to cycle for about 30 mins in our township on my BTwin 7s about an year ago.

Few months later, I had to undergo Hernia surgery. The doctor then suggested me to stop cycling and also advised not to lift Bubble top water containers.

So, my question to you - "Is cycling the cause for Hernia (in rare cases)?"
Old 22nd April 2018, 18:58   #3567
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post

Not every cyclist gets Hernia. but always good to listen to the doctor. Does he advise you not to cycle for the rest of your life or just for a few months?
Old 22nd April 2018, 20:34   #3568
Distinguished - BHPian

Tried checking out the following bikes physically yesterday:
Track and trail Karve road:
1. Montra Blues 1.2 D (price 26.5k) - no test ride offered. Just got feel by sitting on it and lifting it. Felt decent and light.
2. Cannondale flat bar (not sure which model, price:49.9k): No test ride oferred. Super light and beautifully finished frame. Hydraulic brakes, Acera/Altus groupset

Cycler (Marin dealer, near Solaris, Karve road):
1. Marin Firefax SC2 (price 37k): Took a test ride, felt light, nimble and fast. But this had rim brakes and I was more interested in checking out SC4 which is not available in stock.

Pro Sports and Bikes, Prabhat road:
- Merida dealer, I had called and was told speeder 200 and 500 are available, but when I reached, I was told they are in warehouse, never on display and no test rides. There was one Scott Metrix 10 (2017 model) which had hydraulic disc brakes, Altus/Acera groupset with Deore rear derailleur and rapidefire shifter. Took it for a short spin and fell in love. Bought it for 42k.

Some highlights:
- Super light, @12.5kg when I weighed it at home
- Hydraulic disc brakes (super brake feel and progression, no shuddering)
- Deore I am told is way up in Shimano hierarchy
- Internal cable routing
- 38C Kenda tyres are fast enough for me
- Lovely color, looks beautiful
- Rapidfire shifter - way better than ones on my Hero
- 26:34 should help climb Sinhagad, 48:11 is fast enoiugh on flats
- Fit me well (it seems Scott Metrix series has smaller frames than others)

Rode back home (8k) and did 16k today, good fun.

Here is a picture:
The Bicycles thread-scottmetrix10.jpeg

Last edited by anandpadhye : 22nd April 2018 at 20:55.
Old 22nd April 2018, 21:18   #3569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Hello Folks - I used to cycle for about 30 mins in our township on my BTwin 7s about an year ago.

Few months later, I had to undergo Hernia surgery. The doctor then suggested me to stop cycling and also advised not to lift Bubble top water containers.

Absolutely not. I fear your question is lacking critical details - it is simply coincidental and not causal.

a. Did you have any major issue in riding the bike? Any major discomfort?
b. Did you have any hernia symptoms before the surgery? Did you feel them getting aggravated while cycling? It may well be that it worsened existing symptoms.

Of course, post the surgery, all such activities would be stopped since they can cause a recurrence / rupture.

In my six years of active cycling, I got to know well over a hundred active cyclists - to the best of my knowledge, I am yet to come across one such case.

But I'm a layman - what did your doctor specifically diagnose for you?
Old 23rd April 2018, 09:35   #3570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There was one Scott Metrix 10 (2017 model) which had hydraulic disc brakes, Altus/Acera groupset with Deore rear derailleur and rapidefire shifter. Took it for a short spin and fell in love. Bought it for 42k...
Congratulations on the new bike. Bike looks awesome and Scott bikes are very well built. My present road bike (and the previous one as well) is a Scott. Wishing you thousands of miles of rides and fitness in the new bike

PS: You could plan for duathlons now!

Last edited by graaja : 23rd April 2018 at 09:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks