Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2018, 10:46   #3586
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Airlines recognize it as a sports item and have the charges decided upfront (~$150-$250). A few airlines used to allow one sports item for free (Virgin Atlantic allowed it for free for me)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manas_270 View Post
Thanks navin_bhp. Nope, didn't have to pay any as it was below the Rs.50,000 limit.
Niranjan, Manas, is 50,000 limit standard for all tourists? I mean, is it same for NRIs as well as PIOs too?
Old 10th May 2018, 12:44   #3587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hello folks, one good friend of mine, who is a cycling enthusiast is helping me choose the right bike. He is hell bent on the Cosmic Air. One of his close friends got it recently for around 17K & it is very light weight (around 7-8 kilos). Does anyone here have any feedback/experience regarding this bike?
First of all just not possible for a hybrid to weigh around 7-8 kgs and that too from an unknown brand,road bikes from well known brands weigh around that(alloy ones). For that budget better to check Firefox, Montra or Btwin.

Last edited by manson : 24th May 2018 at 20:11.
Old 11th May 2018, 12:46   #3588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Well I luckily happen to notice the bike weight on the box 16.6kgs.( pretty heavy I guess). I saw most of the bike makers at entry level do not mention the weight. Attaching it's pic.
OK, I see. Still better than Hero Ranger that I have (23kg!)

I was looking for bicycle stands/careers for cars and came across this one: http://youlovebikes.com/

Their installation video is very neat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Attachment 1758737

Spotted this beauty in my hometown, it's a Raleigh and inspite of the age it comes with a speedometer.

Do share specifics if you know better.
Interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Guys, is there any single-mode multiple-gears MTB under 25K with 27.5" wheels?

Test rode BTwin Rockrider 520, liked it, bought it but found some issues in gears of my particular piece so returned it.
By "single-mode multiple gears" do you mean only rear gears, no front gears? I have seen a few hybrids and road bikes with such gears, not sure of any MTB. You can check out Specialized Alibi - it only has rear gears, though it's not a MTB as such.

http://blog.bumsonthesaddle.com/2016...-alibi-review/

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
He is hell bent on the Cosmic Air. One of his close friends got it recently for around 17K & it is very light weight (around 7-8 kilos).
During my research, I have not come across any bike that weighs <9kg and priced at 17k. Can you share the URL please?
Old 14th May 2018, 11:16   #3589
BHPian

Recommended Dust / Pollution Masks:

Hi,

Recently started my joy ride on MTB. But the pollution and dust irritates the 40+ lungs.

Are there any recommended dust / pollution breathable masks ? Not sure about the brands, but if they are washable, it would be really great.

Daily 5 km is now turning out to be horrendous with all itching and hard breathing.

Appreciate your help
Old 15th May 2018, 09:54   #3590

You can get a mask, online, from respro. It's in the UK.
Expensive though.
http://respro.com/pollution-masks
Old 15th May 2018, 12:09   #3591

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Attachment 1758737

Spotted this beauty in my hometown, it's a Raleigh and inspite of the age it comes with a speedometer.

Do share specifics if you know better.
A beauty she sure is !!
Looks like she has brake drums in front... might be in the back too.
Old 15th May 2018, 13:05   #3592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Pro Sports and Bikes, Prabhat road:
- Merida dealer, I had called and was told speeder 200 and 500 are available, but when I reached, I was told they are in warehouse, never on display and no test rides. There was one Scott Metrix 10 (2017 model) which had hydraulic disc brakes, Altus/Acera groupset with Deore rear derailleur and rapidefire shifter. Took it for a short spin and fell in love. Bought it for 42k.
Anand, did this dealer have road bicycles on display? Does he allow all bicycles for test ride? Is he dealer for Merida as well as Scott?
Old 15th May 2018, 19:42   #3593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Anand, did this dealer have road bicycles on display? Does he allow all bicycles for test ride? Is he dealer for Merida as well as Scott?
No, he generally does not offer test rides, very few bikes on display (and hardly any road bikes). He sells Merida and Scott, both, but he told me most are in the their stockyard rather than on display!

A friend told me Track & Trail at Baner is a much more friendly shop and they offer test rides. But I haven't been there.
Old 15th May 2018, 20:18   #3594
Senior - BHPian

Here is my ride for the last two years or so. Scultura 200. Nice entry level road bike. However, couldn't ride it all that much last year due to a wrist fracture sustained during the Chadar trek.

The Bicycles thread-img_20180501_072628868.jpg
Old 15th May 2018, 20:59   #3595
Senior - BHPian

In the fitness of things I ended up posting my Merida moments before Matej Mohoric of Bahrain Merida won the tenth stage at Giro d'Italia :-) Congratulations team Merida.
Old 16th May 2018, 01:41   #3596
BHPian

I have Trek Marlin 5 which has Bontrager XR2, 29x2.20" front, 29x2.00" rear tires. I am looking to swap them for slightly slick touring tires for 100+ km tours. Have shortlisted Schwalbe Range Cruiser and Schwalbe Road Cruiser 700X35c.

Any other options that are easily available in Mumbai?

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th May 2018, 07:44   #3597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
I have Trek Marlin 5 which has Bontrager XR2, 29x2.20" front, 29x2.00" rear tires. I am looking to swap them for slightly slick touring tires for 100+ km tours. Have shortlisted Schwalbe Range Cruiser and Schwalbe Road Cruiser 700X35c.

Any other options that are easily available in Mumbai?

Thanks in advance.
I moved to 23mm tyres (less than 1 inch) which greatly improved the speed of my ride (I ride on tarmac on a hybrid). Also bike became very responsive.
Schwalbe Marathon.
This was when I had to change rims due to excessive wear out on my old ones.
Not a single puncture ever since I am using them. Junked my puncture repair kit.
You may need to check the thinnest tyre size you can go on your rims, if you decide so (may need to need change tubes too).
But if your goal is everyday commute, riding mostly on roads etc., IMHO, this is the way to go !
If I am not wrong your bike has 29" wheels. So you can probably swap 700C tyres and 29" MTB tyres using the same rims... I haven't done it myself, so check with a more knowledgeable guy first. That way you don't need two bikes (MTB and road).
Sorry... too much in a single post... maybe
Old 17th May 2018, 17:58   #3598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpdgod View Post
I moved to 23mm tyres (less than 1 inch) which greatly improved the speed of my ride (I ride on tarmac on a hybrid). Also bike became very responsive.
It is become increasingly common now to ditch narrow tires for wider ones. The combination of speed, comfort and reliability from wider tires is gaining popularity rapidly. Check out Compass tires and their reviews. They are going to be my next set of tires as soon as I am done with these horrible Gatorskin 28mm tires.
Old 17th May 2018, 19:51   #3599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
It is become increasingly common now to ditch narrow tires for wider ones. The combination of speed, comfort and reliability from wider tires is gaining popularity rapidly. Check out Compass tires and their reviews. They are going to be my next set of tires as soon as I am done with these horrible Gatorskin 28mm tires.
Usually the above view is taken for 23mm vs 28mm, not for the next level. Don't think I have heard "horrible" associated with Gatorskin
Old 17th May 2018, 19:56   #3600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Usually the above view is taken for 23mm vs 28mm, not for the next level. Don't think I have heard "horrible" associated with Gatorskin
32 is the new 28 in terms of real world application of tires on bikes, unless all your riding is in a velodrome or buttery smooth tarmac.

Gators are solid in terms of being puncture resistant. But horrible compared to the comfort of 32mm tires, specially when you are in the saddle for 8 hours or more.

Most Viewed