Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2018, 20:47   #3601
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
32 is the new 28 in terms of real world application of tires on bikes, unless all your riding is in a velodrome or buttery smooth tarmac.

Gators are solid in terms of being puncture resistant. But horrible compared to the comfort of 32mm tires, specially when you are in the saddle for 8 hours or more.
I have done upwards of 4000kms on 32mm, 28mm (and 23mm) with brevets on both. Haven't really found a difference between both to be able to make such a blanket statement on what suits which tarmac; forget riding in a velodrome. Have ridden 28mm and 32mm on routes without a proper road too.

IMO a lot more matters - the type of bike, the make of the tire and where you ride; both I have found decent enough for city and rural roads. Vs 23mm yes, both the wider tires do give more durability against punctures.

I opted for Schwalbe two years back against gatorskin ; haven't had a single moment to regret that. But gatorskin ain't so bad either.

Guess it's just one person's opinion against another's

Last edited by ninjatalli : 17th May 2018 at 20:49.
Old 17th May 2018, 23:14   #3602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
IMO a lot more matters - the type of bike, the make of the tire and where you ride; both I have found decent enough for city and rural roads. Vs 23mm yes, both the wider tires do give more durability against punctures.

I opted for Schwalbe two years back against gatorskin ; haven't had a single moment to regret that. But gatorskin ain't so bad either.

Guess it's just one person's opinion against another's
You are right that a lot matters with the make of the tire and where you ride, even if we keep the bike constant.

Last year I did most of my riding on 32mm as well.

Right now I have two bikes, one with 23mm Schwalbe and one with 28mm
Gator tires. I switch between both for my commute, which in a week comes to around 160 kms. For this short commute, it doesn't really matter that much. The bike with 28mm gators does service in brevets too, but speaking with a few PBP veterans in those rides, I get the distinct impression that wider (good quality, of course) tires are the ones that are becoming more and more dominant. I didn't feel like arguing with those guys
Old 18th May 2018, 08:57   #3603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
I have Trek Marlin 5 which has Bontrager XR2, 29x2.20" front, 29x2.00" rear tires. I am looking to swap them for slightly slick touring tires for 100+ km tours. Have shortlisted Schwalbe Range Cruiser and Schwalbe Road Cruiser 700X35c.

Any other options that are easily available in Mumbai?

Thanks in advance.
Have heard that the Shwalbe Marathon Plus is better that the Marathon, but couldn't lay my hands on them.

But rest assured that the Shwalbe Marathon is good enough for my 40 Km per day commute - No puncture in the last one year.

But I make sure the tyre pressure stays above 50 PSI.
Old 18th May 2018, 18:46   #3604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have done upwards of 4000kms on 32mm, 28mm (and 23mm) with brevets on both.
We should connect on Strava, if you are also there and if we are not already connected . Here's my profile

Amitoj on Strava

Last edited by amitoj : 18th May 2018 at 18:47.
Old 19th May 2018, 05:52   #3605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpdgod View Post
Have heard that the Shwalbe Marathon Plus is better that the Marathon, but couldn't lay my hands on them.

But rest assured that the Shwalbe Marathon is good enough for my 40 Km per day commute - No puncture in the last one year.
Both are excellent tires in terms of durability and resistance but very heavy tires. I opted for Durano plus which was a shade lower in terms of the puncture resistance (wrt Marathon series) but lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
We should connect on Strava, if you are also there and if we are not already connected
We are already connected A year back we were supposed to do one of the brevet/populaire together (lol).
Old 19th May 2018, 22:08   #3606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Pro Sports and Bikes, Prabhat road:
- Merida dealer, I had called and was told speeder 200 and 500 are available, but when I reached, I was told they are in warehouse, never on display and no test rides. There was one Scott Metrix 10 (2017 model) which had hydraulic disc brakes, Altus/Acera groupset with Deore rear derailleur and rapidefire shifter. Took it for a short spin and fell in love. Bought it for 42k.

Some highlights:
- Super light, @12.5kg when I weighed it at home
- Hydraulic disc brakes (super brake feel and progression, no shuddering)
- Deore I am told is way up in Shimano hierarchy
- Internal cable routing
- 38C Kenda tyres are fast enough for me
- Lovely color, looks beautiful
- Rapidfire shifter - way better than ones on my Hero
- 26:34 should help climb Sinhagad, 48:11 is fast enoiugh on flats
- Fit me well (it seems Scott Metrix series has smaller frames than others)

Rode back home (8k) and did 16k today, good fun.

Here is a picture:
Attachment 1754563
Congratulations Anand on getting your Scott Metrix 10, sorry for being a bit late to wish you, but seeing your message only now. Wonderful bike. I am very new to biking (started taking interest just few weeks back). Today I took a test ride of Marin Fairfax SC4, pretty light weight & nimble, asking price 55K. How would you compare the Scott Metrix 10 against the Marin Fairfax SC4? Below are some pics that I took of the bike.

The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20180519-4.58.08-pm-1.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20180519-4.58.08-pm-2.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20180519-4.58.08-pm.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20180519-4.58.09-pm-1.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20180519-4.58.09-pm-2.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20180519-4.58.09-pm-3.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20180519-4.58.09-pm-4.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20180519-4.58.09-pm-5.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20180519-4.58.09-pm.jpeg

Since the dealer did not have a Merida Hybrid for test ride, I rode this Merida MTB as well, priced at 37K. Sharing some pics

The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20180519-4.58.10-pm.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20180519-5.00.23-pm-1.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20180519-5.00.23-pm-2.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20180519-5.00.23-pm.jpeg

Last edited by AutoIndian : 19th May 2018 at 22:09.
Old 21st May 2018, 02:57   #3607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are already connected A year back we were supposed to do one of the brevet/populaire together (lol).
LOL, oh yeah, right! I am sorry I am terrible at remembering names.

Are you still around in these neck of the woods?
Old 21st May 2018, 08:26   #3608
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ nopes, back to the motherland
Old 21st May 2018, 14:03   #3609
Senior - BHPian

Can someone please give me feedback on Canondale Quick 8? I have almost finalized on this bike one for me and one for my friend. Two of us will be purchasing it together. MRP is Rs 37.9K and the Track&Trail dealer in Chinchwad is offering me for 31K. Is this a good deal. More than that, is this a good bike for 15km daily morning exercise ride and 60-80 kms over the weekend?

Below is the list of Features & Specifications Age 16+
Bike Type Commute, Hybrid, Leisure, Sports/Fitness
Bikefit Category City, Commute, Hybrid
Bottom Bracket Tange Cartridge
Brake Lever Cannondale Forged Alloy
Brakes Cannondale Mini V, Cartridge Pads
Brand Cannondale
Cogset Sunrace MFM2A, 7-Speed
Color Jet Black
Crank PROWHEEL, 48/38/28T
Chain KMC Z51, 7-Speed
Front Derailleur Shimano Tourney, 31.8mm Clamp, 3-Speed
Fork Quick, Cromoly, 1-1/8" Steerer
Frame Quick, SmartForm C3 Alloy, SAVE, 1-1/8" Head Tube
Frame Height Large (19.3in), Medium (17.3in), Small (16.3in), X-Large (21.3in)
Gender Man
Grips Cannondale Ergo Performance, Lock-On
Handlebar Cannondale C4, 6061 Alloy, Rise: 20mm,10 Deg. Sweep, Width: 640mm
Headset FSA Si 1-1/8"
Hubs Alloy, Sealed, Loose Ball Bearings, QR, 32-Hole
Pedals Cannondale Fitness Reinforced Composite
Rear Derailleur Shimano Acera, 7-speed
Rim Cannondale C4, Double Wall, 32-Hole
Road Type Paved Road, Road
Saddle Cannondale Fitness Ergo
Seat Post Cannondale C4, 6061 Alloy, 27.2x350mm
Shifter Shimano ST-EF41, EZ Fire, (3×7-Speed)
Stem Cannondale, 6061 Alloy, Dia: 31.8mm, 12 Deg.
Tires Duro 7044, 700x35c

Sharing few pics below (Courtesy --> https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/w...-8-2017-review)
The Bicycles thread-cannondalequick82017.jpg

The Bicycles thread-cannondalequick82017brakesandsteering.jpg

The Bicycles thread-cannondalequick82017brakesandsteering2.jpg

The Bicycles thread-cannondalequick82017design.jpg

The Bicycles thread-cannondalequick82017frame.jpg

The Bicycles thread-cannondalequick82017gearing.jpg

The Bicycles thread-cannondalequick82017gearing2.jpg

The Bicycles thread-cannondalequick82017tires.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 22:41. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Old 21st May 2018, 16:17   #3610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Congratulations Anand on getting your Scott Metrix 10
Thank you!

Quote:
Today I took a test ride of Marin Fairfax SC4, pretty light weight & nimble, asking price 55K. How would you compare the Scott Metrix 10 against the Marin Fairfax SC4? Below are some pics that I took of the bike.
Great to know SC4 is available for test ride, as you know, this was one of the short-listed ones by me but wasn't available. Where did you get the test ride? Cycler?

And thank for real life pics, they help a lot to imagine/visualize the bike rather than the official photos from the promo material. One thing I must say is Scott Metrix 10 looks way more beautiful than this one :-)

As far as specs are concerned, Marin SC4 has Sora groupset while Metrix 10 (2017) has Altus/Acera with Deore derailleur at rear. I have never riden Sora, not sure if it's superior to Altus/Acera, only test riding would tell. In theory, Sora is a road groupset, while Altus/Acera are MTB, but it should not matter much.

If Metrix 10 (2017) is still available, you can give it a try (you can checkout mine). in case you like it, you will save good 13k.

Quote:
Can someone please give me feedback on Canondale Quick 8? I have almost finalized on this bike one for me and one for my friend. Two of us will be purchasing it together. MRP is Rs 37.9K and the Track&Trail dealer in Chinchwad is offering me for 31K. Is this a good deal. More than that, is this a good bike for 15km daily morning exercise ride and 60-80 kms over the weekend?
I would say go for a bike with hydraulic disc brakes. Their stopping power is awesome and modulation is good. Also, on long downhills, they will be way better than rim brakes.

BTW, tourney is the entry level group set. If you are ok with Tourney, check out the Montra Blus 1.2 D. It comes with mechanical discs and priced around 26k.

For spec to spec, from what I have seen, Cannondale is expensive. two brands which are more value for money (spec to spec) are Scott and Merida.

There is a Cannondale at Track and trail which has hydraulic discs and price tag of 49k (discounts available).
Old 21st May 2018, 16:52   #3611
BHPian

Quote:
MRP is Rs 37.9K and the Track&Trail dealer in Chinchwad is offering me for 31K. Is this a good deal. More than that, is this a good bike for 15km daily morning exercise ride and 60-80 kms over the weekend?
I don't know if it is good deal or bad deal, but from ride perspective, you can comfortably do 15 kms daily or 60/80 kms weekend ride on it. I have an entry level Hercules and I am able to do these distances without any discomfort.

BTW, who is the track and trail dealer in Chinchwad?
Old 21st May 2018, 17:48   #3612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
is this a good bike for 15km daily morning exercise ride and 60-80 kms over the weekend?
I am sure it will be comfortable for those distances (assuming you select the right size that fits you). The groupset and brakes matter when it comes to speed. If speed is not a criteria then these things don't matter much.

Regarding exercise - well, actually a heavy and slow bike will be more efficient for exercising :-) as you will have to put in more effort for the given distance and speed. From my experience, cycling is way easier than running. I have 10k route with decent slopes - I can run it in 55 min, but on Scott I can cycle the same route in 23 min - both figures in "race mode", which means I am trying my best. Even then, I am much less tired after cycling compared to when I run it. I would say cycling takes 1/4th or 1/5th of the effort compared to running. So as an exercise, 10km running = 40 or 50km of cycling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
you can comfortably do 15 kms daily or 60/80 kms weekend ride on it. I have an entry level Hercules and I am able to do these distances without any discomfort.
Yes, modern cycles are very comfortable - generally. Componentry matters when target distance and target speed - both are considered together.
Old 21st May 2018, 17:54   #3613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Where did you get the test ride? Cycler?
I got the test ride at Cyclerepublic in Nigdi (near to my residence)

Quote:
I would say go for a bike with hydraulic disc brakes. Their stopping power is awesome and modulation is good. Also, on long downhills, they will be way better than rim brakes.

BTW, tourney is the entry level group set. If you are ok with Tourney, check out the Montra Blus 1.2 D. It comes with mechanical discs and priced around 26k.
Thanks for your suggestion. However the Montra Blues 1.2 D has front shock absorber whereas I am looking for solid fork only. Shockers unnecessarily add to the weight of the bike.

Quote:
There is a Cannondale at Track and trail which has hydraulic discs and price tag of 49k (discounts available).
I guess the Quick 5 comes with disc brakes. Can you please share the link if you have it handy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I don't know if it is good deal or bad deal, but from ride perspective, you can comfortably do 15 kms daily or 60/80 kms weekend ride on it. I have an entry level Hercules and I am able to do these distances without any discomfort.

BTW, who is the track and trail dealer in Chinchwad?
Thanks Shipnil for your response. Dealer in Chinchwad is -->
MODERN CYCLE

SHOP NO-5 & 6, JAY TOWER BUILDING, KALBHOR NAGAR, , CHINCHWAD ROAD, , OLD MUMBAI PUNE HIGHWAY, NEAR HIGHWAY TOWER,CHINCHWAD CHINCHWAD, MAHARASHTRA 411019
Email
moderncyclechinchwad@gmail.com
Telephone
Contact Person
MR. HEMANTH SINGHAL
Old 21st May 2018, 18:00   #3614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion. However the Montra Blues 1.2 D has front shock absorber whereas I am looking for solid fork only. Shockers unnecessarily add to the weight of the bike.

I guess the Quick 5 comes with disc brakes. Can you please share the link if you have it handy?
I agree. Shock absorbers are really not needed.

Here:

Cannondale Quick 5 Disc 2017:
https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/w...sc-2017-review

Scott Metrix 10 Disc 2017:
https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/w...10-2017-review
Old 21st May 2018, 20:54   #3615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpdgod View Post

But I make sure the tyre pressure stays above 50 PSI.
Thanks for the info svpdgod and apologies for a delayed response.

Marathon Plus although appears to be a descent tyre, it is way out of my budget right now. Wizbiker is quoting 4k for one which is my entire budget for two tyres. (Saving for Apache 310 )

Current Shortlist (700x35):
1. Schwalbe Range Cruiser
2. Schwalbe Road Cruiser
3. Vittoria Adventure III

Will decide in a day or two.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks