Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2018, 13:22   #3841
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

The three reasons why I don't ride my roadie in the rains are:

Same here.
Hydraulic discs on my Metrix are so much effective and 38mm tyres are so much more confidence inspiring during rains than the B'Twin roadie that has rim brakes and 25mm tyres.
Old 31st August 2018, 19:06   #3842
Senior - BHPian

August has been a pretty low mileage month for me, due to various issues. Could only manage 440 odd miles. But hope to get back in the saddle in September. Next two months are ideal for riding here. Cool temps and nice fall foliage starting to show.
Old 31st August 2018, 22:57   #3843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
August has been a pretty low mileage month for me, due to various issues. Could only manage 440 odd miles. But hope to get back in the saddle in September. Next two months are ideal for riding here. Cool temps and nice fall foliage starting to show.
I forgot to ask. How was your 300? Any photos?

Cheers, Doc

P.S. @ninjatalli, great idea! But totally committed till the end of September, with just three weekends left for big rides before I travel abroad, and then the 600 at the end of the month.

October would be too hot. Don't know about Mumbai, but I think the rains are done here in Pune.

P.P.S. Maybe Specialized has the right idea by putting discs on their Tour bikes this year. Most manufacturers have disc breaked versions of their popular roadies. I think the slight weight add is ok for the benefits it offers. Another issue you don't need to grapple with is binding pads and rim trueness issues with discs. Or rim life.

Cheers, Doc
Old 2nd September 2018, 14:52   #3844
Team-BHP Support

This is how my hardtail looked after this morning's 100 km ride to Fountain Hotel, Ghodbunder Road and back. The left lane of the road (where we cyclists usually ride) is in poor shape and there's lots of mud and slush everywhere. I've done this circuit on my road bike many times, but I'm glad I didn't take it today.

The Bicycles thread-img_20180902_112635481.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20180902_112640666.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20180902_112646223.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20180902_112713683.jpg
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 18:55   #3845
Senior - BHPian

Did an informal 300 BRM with the BRM boys yesterday. Pune-Umbraj-Pune. Just to make things interesting, I started and ended my ride from home (am additional 22 km) and started an hour after the official flagoff at 6 a.m.

Started catching guys around Khed Shivaji, and caught another bunch on the Khambatki climb. Reached the turnaround point at 2 and found that of the 35 starters (for homologation), 16 had come in before me. Lots of rain and slush and a washed out NH4 with potholes, construction and diversions meant the return leg especially after dark was much slower.

Reached back just before 12 midnight, which was a trifle disappointing coz I was targeting a 11 p.m. finish. Also a total break of around 1.5 hours at the turnaround and then a "dinner" of Dal khichdi did not help. I was carrying 4 potato butter cheese egg sandwiches in foil, and having one at 4 hour intervals. One fast n up at each bottle refill stop. And rajgira laddus and salted peanuts on my shorts pockets on either side.

The terrain was full.of huge flyovers and steep rollers throughout, in addition to the Katraj, Khambatki and Khind ghats. Took care of my knee and kept spinning without ever getting near to redlining.

The Bicycles thread-img20180903wa0022.jpg

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20180903095047955_com.strava.png

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20180903095110791_com.strava.png

Cheers, Doc

P.S. Not entirely sure, as I'm not on the official WhatsApp group, but it seems there were 10-11 guys who finally finished earlier. The fastest in a mind numbing 12 hours!

Last edited by ebonho : 3rd September 2018 at 19:03.
Old 4th September 2018, 18:47   #3846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I forgot to ask. How was your 300? Any photos?
The 300 was quite fun actually, after the first few initial hiccups.
I had left a buffer of 15-20 minutes at the start so that I could get some breakfast. But those 15 minutes were taken up by me trying to fit my handlebar bag. Thankfully I had packed enough food that I could skip breakfast. And then in the first couple of miles, my headlight fell off and the batteries got scattered all over the road, which meant that I had to ride alone now. So, I gathered up all the batteries, put the light in my pocket and started pedaling down the road at a medium place. I was able to catch up to a group of riders after 25 miles or so, and I stuck with them till the end of the ride. We stopped at Plymouth around mile 140 and thats when the heavens opened up. It was a steady downpour and after waiting 15-20 minutes, we decided that it is not going to stop so we better get going. The next one hour was in soaking wet rains! But I didn't mind that.

Here are a few photos from the ride:
The Bicycles thread-ner300k.jpg

The Bicycles thread-mt-hope.jpg

The Bicycles thread-rusa-control.jpg

Last Saturday, I did a 94 mile trip around White Mountains. That was quite an experience. Riding in the mountains is so vastly different from riding on the back roads! The climbing came in chunks of 1000 ft in 5 miles or less, with the most brutal one at the end, which was almost 1500 ft in 5.5 miles!
The Bicycles thread-white-mountains.jpg

Quote:
P.P.S. Maybe Specialized has the right idea by putting discs on their Tour bikes this year. Most manufacturers have disc breaked versions of their popular roadies. I think the slight weight add is ok for the benefits it offers. Another issue you don't need to grapple with is binding pads and rim trueness issues with discs. Or rim life.
Also, discs allow for fatter tires too, which is becoming quite a popular trend these days
Old 5th September 2018, 02:45   #3847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
The 300 was quite fun actually, after the first few initial hiccups.
I had left a buffer of 15-20 minutes at the start so that I could get some breakfast. But those 15 minutes were taken up by me trying to fit my handlebar bag. Thankfully I had packed enough food that I could skip breakfast. And then in the first couple of miles, my headlight fell off and the batteries got scattered all over the road, which meant that I had to ride alone now. So, I gathered up all the batteries, put the light in my pocket and started pedaling down the road at a medium place. I was able to catch up to a group of riders after 25 miles or so, and I stuck with them till the end of the ride. We stopped at Plymouth around mile 140 and thats when the heavens opened up. It was a steady downpour and after waiting 15-20 minutes, we decided that it is not going to stop so we better get going. The next one hour was in soaking wet rains! But I didn't mind that.

Here are a few photos from the ride:
Attachment 1796174

Attachment 1796173

Attachment 1796175

Last Saturday, I did a 94 mile trip around White Mountains. That was quite an experience. Riding in the mountains is so vastly different from riding on the back roads! The climbing came in chunks of 1000 ft in 5 miles or less, with the most brutal one at the end, which was almost 1500 ft in 5.5 miles!
Attachment 1796176

Also, discs allow for fatter tires too, which is becoming quite a popular trend these days

I was going to comment when I saw your yummy bike that you travel light! But where do you fit your headlight with that big bag right in front? On the bag itself? If so, wouldn't the beam be too unsteady for decent clip riding at night?

What app is that? Or is that your Garmin feed?

You are a fast rider man. Is it common out there for the whole pack to travel together? How many riders usually? How do you manage breaks then?

Out here in the daytime it's usually strung out within the first 10-15 kilometers itself, with riders breaking off into their comfort paces, either solo or on 2s and 3s. People tend to wait to pack up only when the sun goes down. And that's for the obvious security at night.

What food do you usually pack? What do you usually pack? And what supplements do you carry and consume during the ride?

I just finished working on the two painful contact points during my 300 - the saddle and the handle grips.

Swapped out the Syncross saddle for the one from my ACT. Put foam slip-on grips covers (of motorcycles) on to the spindly grips. And fitted the barends of my ACT (I was REALLY missing those).

Hope these little changes help. Developed a small saddle sore on the unmentionables. And the second finger of my left hand is still sleeping.

The Bicycles thread-img_20180905_005913.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20180905_005631.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20180905_005654.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20180905_005724.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20180905_005809.jpg

Cheers, Doc
Old 5th September 2018, 10:56   #3848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did an informal 300 BRM with the BRM boys yesterday. Pune-Umbraj-Pune. Just to make things interesting, I started and ended my ride from home (am additional 22 km) and started an hour after the official flagoff at 6 a.m.

P.S. Not entirely sure, as I'm not on the official WhatsApp group, but it seems there were 10-11 guys who finally finished earlier. The fastest in a mind numbing 12 hours!
I guess i started the return leg and you reached the CP. Would have been great to meet up. Reached Chandni Chowk at around 11.40 PM. Did not have any bike issues till Khambhatki in the return leg and was very happy no punctures and just at the start of the tunnel one puncture.

Were you riding alone? Could have done the official BRM

First guy to complete it reached CC at 6.15 PM.

Cheers,
Amit
Old 5th September 2018, 11:52   #3849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I guess i started the return leg and you reached the CP. Would have been great to meet up. Reached Chandni Chowk at around 11.40 PM. Did not have any bike issues till Khambhatki in the return leg and was very happy no punctures and just at the start of the tunnel one puncture.

Were you riding alone? Could have done the official BRM

First guy to complete it reached CC at 6.15 PM.

Cheers,
Amit
Hi Amit!

Yup, two riders were pulling out across the road at the CP just as I rolled in (alone, on a white n blue Scott hybrid). Are you on Strava? I've shared my Strava feeds here so we can sync up.

I was riding alone till after crossing Satara on the return leg. Then as it started getting dark, since it was suddenly pouring (strong downpour) I wanted to check if my phone charging on the Powerbank was safe n dry. Plus I wanted to fix my headlights too. Not finding a suitable dry spot or shelter, I pulled into a petrol pump.

While I was moving my stuff around and filling water from their cooler I saw a white light approaching (sure sign of a fellow randonneur). Turned out to be superman (Ajit Mane, on his single speed Hercules MTB). Called out to him (we had crossed each other a couple of times earlier as well, plus had a cup of tea and a quick bite together at the CP .... we left together though I lost him soon).

Ajit and I then rode the rest of the way together, stopping for some Dal khichdi after Khambatki and a tea halt at the toll just before the Sasewadi climb before the mouth of the Katraj tunnel. Always nice to have company at night, and both of us enjoyed riding (and suffering) together. Lol

He's already done his SR this year on his roadie, and is now attempting it on this single speeder. Hats off! For me, I've already got my 200, 300 and 400, and just need a 600 homologation for my SR. Saw no reason to register for this ride therefore when I could as well do it on my own for the practice miles.

The Bicycles thread-img20180903wa0024.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img20180903wa0021.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img20180903wa0020.jpg

Cheers, Doc
Old 5th September 2018, 15:35   #3850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Amit!

Are you on Strava? I've shared my Strava feeds here so we can sync up.

Ajit and I then rode the rest of the way together, stopping for some Dal khichdi after Khambatki and a tea halt at the toll just before the Sasewadi climb before the mouth of the Katraj tunnel. Always nice to have company at night, and both of us enjoyed riding (and suffering) together. Lol

He's already done his SR this year on his roadie, and is now attempting it on this single speeder. Hats off! For me, I've already got my 200, 300 and 400, and just need a 600 homologation for my SR. Saw no reason to register for this ride therefore when I could as well do it on my own for the practice miles.
Yeah i am there on strava and just now started following you. So you should get the notification.

Hats off to Ajit. When we did Pune - Pandharpur - Pune he was on the same mono geared bike. He is really a super man.

Great so you are registering for 29th 600 to complete the SR? I am late in the game so no SR this year. Only did 200 and 300 in last one month. Someone was giving me ideas to do the 400 in Baroda on 15th and then 600 on 29th in Pune. But don't think i am game for it as yet . SR target for next year on a road bike possibly. Lets see.

Cheers,
Amit
Old 5th September 2018, 15:52   #3851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Yeah i am there on strava and just now started following you. So you should get the notification.

Hats off to Ajit. When we did Pune - Pandharpur - Pune he was on the same mono geared bike. He is really a super man.

Great so you are registering for 29th 600 to complete the SR? I am late in the game so no SR this year. Only did 200 and 300 in last one month. Someone was giving me ideas to do the 400 in Baroda on 15th and then 600 on 29th in Pune. But don't think i am game for it as yet . SR target for next year on a road bike possibly. Lets see.

Cheers,
Amit
I saw your messages looking for company and was tempted. But the logistics are a pain and I am traveling abroad for 10 days immediately after that, so it would be tight.

Cheers, Doc
Old 5th September 2018, 18:30   #3852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was going to comment when I saw your yummy bike that you travel light! But where do you fit your headlight with that big bag right in front? On the bag itself? If so, wouldn't the beam be too unsteady for decent clip riding at night?
Yes fitting the headlight with the handlebar bag mounted was a concern for me. I solved this by getting an Origin8 eyelet that I have fixed near the front axle. This is not the ideal position. The fork has a braze-on but the screw that came with the mount was not long enough. I need to get that.

The Bicycles thread-sl300.jpg

I have highlighted the current location in the below pic. When I took the pic the light was not mounted.
The Bicycles thread-rusa-control.jpg

I use Busch Muller IXON light which has a nice throw to illuminate all the potholes. It runs on rechargable AA batteries. So, if I carry a few spare alkaline AA batteries with me.

Quote:
What app is that? Or is that your Garmin feed?
That's just a screenshot from RideWithGPS.com
Most of the routes from New England Randonneurs are on RWGPS.

Quote:
You are a fast rider man. Is it common out there for the whole pack to travel together? How many riders usually? How do you manage breaks then?

Out here in the daytime it's usually strung out within the first 10-15 kilometers itself, with riders breaking off into their comfort paces, either solo or on 2s and 3s. People tend to wait to pack up only when the sun goes down. And that's for the obvious security at night.
It's more or less the same story here too. Within a few miles, a few groups form based on pace. If not in the few miles, then at first control. Having said that, I have done a few 200Ks solo as well. Ironically, whenever the turnout is large, the possibility of riding solo increases.

Quote:
What food do you usually pack? What do you usually pack? And what supplements do you carry and consume during the ride?
I carry one bottle of plain water, one with 70-30 mix of Gatorade-water, which i keep topping up with water at every stop. I also carry a spare Gatorade for rides longer than 200K. For food, i pack a couple of bananas, couple of slices of banana bread and GU energy gels. The bananas and energy gels are for on-the-bike nutrition. If control point is at a local cafe, then I eat a croissant or pastry at the cafe.

Quote:

Hope these little changes help. Developed a small saddle sore on the unmentionables. And the second finger of my left hand is still sleeping.

Cheers, Doc
Google "ulnar nerve gliding exercises" for the finger being numb. Less than a minute every day and they work like a charm!! Try these for exampel
Ulnar Nerve Exercises

EDIT: following you on strava now

Last edited by amitoj : 5th September 2018 at 18:50.
Old 8th September 2018, 21:54   #3853
BHPian

Hello team, I have a query for all the veteran cyclists here. I'm thinking of getting myself a bike for serious cycling. Now the issue is that I am reluctant to go for two bikes for self and wife. Preferably a hybrid that can suit both our requirements should be economically viable.
I went out to check out BTwin, Firefox, Frog and Raleigh because that's the range of cycles that are available offline at my location.
So without going into specifics of the models, can someone give me a heads up on which of these brands is a better option in terms of ride and maintenance?
Any suggestions on other better brands would also be welcome.
Thanks in anticipation.
Old 10th September 2018, 00:25   #3854
BHPian

Hey guys, after searching this thread extensively (sort of), I couldn't find enough info on the Montra madrock. Hence posting my query separately.

So, I was riding a Hercules Ryders ACT 106 since 2010, until last month on one of the rides, it's rear frame got bent. It served me well for 8 years!
So now I'm looking for a new bike, MTB with a budget of 15k.
I've narrowed down my search to the Montra madrock and Roadeo A50. I'm 23 so the image is not really an issue for me - that Roadeo is a kids/teenagers brand, etc.
Which of the 2 would be a better choice?
Would've preferred a Rock 1.0 or 1.1 but it seems to be out of budget. What's the difference between Rock and Madrock?
One negative point for the Madrock is that it doesn't have a Quick Release wheel, and the tacky paintjob of course.
Would be great if someone who owns any of these could help me out here. Also, please tell me if there are any other options that I should consider.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10th September 2018, 16:31   #3855
BHPian

Hi guys,

Just wanted to understand how much of a role does the frame of a road bike play in riding regularly?

For e.g. everywhere I get advice not to buy road bikes from Montra / Firefox and instead increase my budget to consider a Scott / Fuji / Trek. My question is what is wrong with these Indian brands? For e.g. the Firefox Sirocco which comes in at 33K with Sora Groupset and other decent components.

How much of a role does weight play into picture? Lets say the Firefox weighs in at 11 kg ( wild guess ) and a Scott Speedster 40 (with Claris) at 48K would weigh around 9 kg ( again a wild guess ), how much of a difference does the 2 kg translate into normal training / touring over long distances? How much difference would there be in average speed / comfort etc?

Now some say that you can't get the geometry of the Scott / Trek but how hard is it to copy the geometry for a brand like Firefox and replicate the same?

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 18:17. Reason: Spacing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks