Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2018, 17:20   #3856
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

A bicycle is a lightweight machine and moves as a result of manual physical inputs. Unlike a car, where you may take a while to realise that you have been driving with low engine oil levels, but still getting decent performance, with a bicycle, you will immediately know if something is amiss. This is because the human body can generate comparatively less force and you need the best out of the machine to get your optimum performance.

I have been riding for quite a few years now and as the years have gone by, I have come to realise that while components like mainly wheels and to a lesser extent, components like derailleurs play a part, the most cruicial is the frame.

Not only is the material used to build the frame extremely important, but also the size and the geometry of the angles.

In fact, riding for all these years, I realised that most frames are not perfectly suited to my physical dimensions. So, I went ahead and got a frame built by Praveen Prabhakaran of Pune. He used very high quality steel tubes and lugs of my choice. The resultant frame rides so well that I hardly ride my other frames, including a Fuji Carbon frame.

So, to answer your question, the frame is the most important component of the whole bike. Another reason for its importance is, it is the most expensive of all the parts. The other parts all fit onto the frame. So, if the frame is not built out of the best quality materials, or is not perfectly aligned, the result will not be the best. So, one should always buy the best frame one can afford. Parts can be upgraded over time.

I had once, as an experiment purchased an Avon steel frame and built a fixed gear bike with it. It was terrible. The steel was so flexy that I rode it maybe twice and then gave the frame away.

It is important to also try out the frames of different brands. Different brands have slightly differing approaches and while you may love the feel and ride of one frame, someone else may not give it another thought.

Weight plays a small role. I would prefer lighter, of course, but if I am only riding on weekends, I would not spend a hefty sum to get a light and strong bike. I would rather look to get lighter wheels which in motion, would save more energy than heavier wheels, compared to a lighter frame.

If you have more questions, do feel free to ask.
Old 10th September 2018, 23:45   #3857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
Just wanted to understand how much of a role does the frame of a road bike play in riding regularly?
Pardon the short reply, but a bicycle is it's frame.

All else is bought out components.

If you want to nitpick, the frame and then it's wheels.

But the frame really is the bike. Period.

I learned this when I rode 6 roadies of friends in my group, all with the same level gruppos and exact same thickness tyres.

Scott, Giant, Merida, Cannondale, Specialized, Fuji.

They were like chalk n cheese. On the same 8 km run from University to Chandani Chowk.

A ride is all it takes ...

If you are set on Firefox, go for the Mistral. It's geometry is a copy of the Trek 1.1. The Sirocco is .... an Indian bike. I'd buy a mint used Mistral for around 20 k than a brand new Sirocco for whatever final price you negotiate.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 18:19. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 11th September 2018, 06:31   #3858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
Hello team, I have a query for all the veteran cyclists here. I'm thinking of getting myself a bike for serious cycling. Now the issue is that I am reluctant to go for two bikes for self and wife. Preferably a hybrid that can suit both our requirements should be economically viable.
I went out to check out BTwin, Firefox, Frog and Raleigh because that's the range of cycles that are available offline at my location.
So without going into specifics of the models, can someone give me a heads up on which of these brands is a better option in terms of ride and maintenance?
Any suggestions on other better brands would also be welcome.
Thanks in anticipation.
Hello Guys, bumping up my previous post regarding a query on which hybrid brand to go to for a beginner who is seriously contemplating regular biking trips!
Apart from Firefox and Montra that offer a better set of components at an aggressive price, I was also looking at brands such as Scott, Merida and Giant. There are hybrid options available in these below 30 k. Should these be preferred over the indigenous Firefox and Montra owing to a better frame quality or is it still prudent to go ahead with the former brands?
Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 09:33   #3859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys, bumping up my previous post regarding a query on which hybrid brand to go to for a beginner who is seriously contemplating regular biking trips!
Apart from Firefox and Montra that offer a better set of components at an aggressive price, I was also looking at brands such as Scott, Merida and Giant. There are hybrid options available in these below 30 k. Should these be preferred over the indigenous Firefox and Montra owing to a better frame quality or is it still prudent to go ahead with the former brands?
Thanks
Unless you and your wife are the same size and plan to ride the same bike at different times of the day, I'd personally say you were not really contemplating serious cycling - which by the general norm equates to over 9 hours a week.

Or as the common coaching maxim goes, 3 rides a week to maintain, 4 to improve, 5-6 for competition.

That being the case I would go with with either Montra or Firefox. Maybe add Schwinn and BTwin to the mix too.

Cheers, Doc
Old 11th September 2018, 10:44   #3860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Unless you and your wife are the same size and plan to ride the same bike at different times of the day, I'd personally say you were not really contemplating serious cycling - which by the general norm equates to over 9 hours a week.

Or as the common coaching maxim goes, 3 rides a week to maintain, 4 to improve, 5-6 for competition.

That being the case I would go with with either Montra or Firefox. Maybe add Schwinn and BTwin to the mix too.

Cheers, Doc
Thanks. I forgot to mention in my second post that the plan of having a common bike for wife and self was shelved post checking out at the Firefox Showroom. There's no way that a common bike can accommodate both of us with the kind of height difference we have. So now the bike is solely for me.
With regards to whether or not I can dive into serious cycling, I'd rather not get into a discussion over it. As of now, I go for a 6 km run every day irrespective of when I get back from office. Want to add a routine of cycling to it in conjunction. If not 9 hours a week, I can definitely begin with 5 hours a week.
Thanks for the suggestions with regards to Firefox and Montra.
Old 11th September 2018, 11:41   #3861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
I couldn't find enough info on the Montra madrock.
I own a Montra Madrock that I share with my son. I bought it after comparing with equivalent BTwins and Montra Rock. I just liked the Montra better (as compared to BTwins) and the bright paint job actually differentiates it nicely from the plethora of BTwins around us. Also, the Montra Rock was superior but not commensurate to the price difference.

I have been ridding the Montra Madrock for the past eight months (a maximum of 20kms at one go). I have no complains so far. I have really not ridden any of the expensive bikes to really comment on them. But if you are on a budget, Montra Madrock is a good pick.
Old 11th September 2018, 11:54   #3862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There's no way that a common bike can accommodate both of us with the kind of height difference we have. So now the bike is solely for me.
Hi, after reading this post, I'd checked out the BSA Mach City (just casually, not with any serious purchase intent) and thought that it was a decent buy for the asking price. If it is available in your city, please do check it out.

Disclaimer: I am not a regular/serious biker, much less a biking Guru

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 11th September 2018, 14:47   #3863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
I own a Montra Madrock that I share with my son. I bought it after comparing with equivalent BTwins and Montra Rock. I just liked the Montra better (as compared to BTwins) and the bright paint job actually differentiates it nicely from the plethora of BTwins around us. Also, the Montra Rock was superior but not commensurate to the price difference.

I have been ridding the Montra Madrock for the past eight months (a maximum of 20kms at one go). I have no complains so far. I have really not ridden any of the expensive bikes to really comment on them. But if you are on a budget, Montra Madrock is a good pick.
Thanks for your inputs. Yes, even I'm not able to justify the price difference between Madrock and Rock.
I guess I'll go ahead and buy the Madrock then.
Old 11th September 2018, 15:14   #3864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I forgot to mention in my second post that the plan of having a common bike for wife and self was shelved post checking out at the Firefox Showroom. There's no way that a common bike can accommodate both of us with the kind of height difference we have. So now the bike is solely for me.
With regards to whether or not I can dive into serious cycling, I'd rather not get into a discussion over it. As of now, I go for a 6 km run every day irrespective of when I get back from office. Want to add a routine of cycling to it in conjunction. If not 9 hours a week, I can definitely begin with 5 hours a week.
Thanks for the suggestions with regards to Firefox and Montra.
Thank God! Lol

You are a serious runner, so if cross training is your aim, you should buy a serious cycle.

Buy a flatbar hybrid with 700c wheels and thin tyres (32 or 35 max) and a rigid fork. No suspension please. Buy at least a 3x8 speed drivetrain. And buy an alloy frame (the lightest you can afford) that you are comfortable on and fits you properly.

Cheers, Doc
Old 13th September 2018, 17:25   #3865
Senior - BHPian

While trying to straighten the slightly bent pin of the Presta valve, I happened to break it. Can it be replaced and the inner tube salvaged, or do I now need to replace the entire (puncture-less) tube ?

The Bicycles thread-img_20180913_171028.jpg

Please help!

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 13th September 2018 at 17:27.
Old 13th September 2018, 18:03   #3866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While trying to straighten the slightly bent pin of the Presta valve, I happened to break it. Can it be replaced and the inner tube salvaged, or do I now need to replace the entire (puncture-less) tube ?

Cheers, Doc
I did something similar. I had another unusable tube lying around I was able to use the valve from that tube. You can remove the assembly using nose pliers. Just look for the flat area on the rings of the valve. That's where you grip the valve from, so that the threads are not ruined.
Old 13th September 2018, 18:03   #3867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I got laughed when I asked that a few years ago To my knowledge and experience, you can't; but try at your local bikeshop if there's a jugaad option
Old 13th September 2018, 18:19   #3868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I did something similar. I had another unusable tube lying around I was able to use the valve from that tube. You can remove the assembly using nose pliers. Just look for the flat area on the rings of the valve. That's where you grip the valve from, so that the threads are not ruined.
I plan to try doing the same.

The Bicycles thread-img_20180913_175722.jpg

Cheers, Doc
Old 13th September 2018, 19:29   #3869
BHPian

Checked with Decathlon for servicing my Btwin 7s and the service cost was mentioned as 1000 bucks. For a bicycle costing 8k, the servicing cost is more than servicing my bike

As the gear system is not working as expected - it is bit hard to change them while moving uphill. Are there any reliable shops in North Bengaluru where I can get the servicing done at nominal price? What is the value add if I get it serviced at Decathlon compared to outside servicing?
Old 13th September 2018, 22:24   #3870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Checked with Decathlon for servicing my Btwin 7s and the service cost was mentioned as 1000 bucks. For a bicycle costing 8k, the servicing cost is more than servicing my bike

As the gear system is not working as expected - it is bit hard to change them while moving uphill. Are there any reliable shops in North Bengaluru where I can get the servicing done at nominal price? What is the value add if I get it serviced at Decathlon compared to outside servicing?
I can't answer any of your questions directly, but would suggest that you try adjusting the cable tension using the barrel adjuster. Look up youtube for the kind of derailleur that your bike has. Most of the times that solves the problem.

I recently got myself a Spin Doctor Pro G3 bike stand, just so that I dont have to run to the bike shop for these minor adjustments.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks