Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2018, 14:05   #3886
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I somehow could not convince myself just to look at the groupset and geometry. Brand and color too mattered to me. I was mainly looking at Specialized, Cannondale, Giant. I most likely would go for entry level Cannondale which is on offer at the moment.
By brand not mattering, I meant that all the well known and reputed brands are usually on par with each other when it comes to quality. This is because, many if not most companies get their bikes manufactured by OEMs in China and very often two different bike companies could be using the same OEM.

Of course, I wouldnt recommend any cheap and unknown brand, those guys cheap out on quality and materials.

I feel it's more important to have a good LBS, which stocks a good range of brands and bikes, and also carries out the servicing. So that you can give a bunch of bikes a ride and choose the one you feel suits you the best, and have peace of mind when the time comes for a repair or service.
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:26   #3887
BHPian

Thank you for the explanation. Looks like you have done your research well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar101 View Post
I also like the fact it looks like a normal bike rather then electric one with the battery not sticking giving a temptation to steal.
Having a branded battery should definitely help in long term reliability. However, in the event that the battery goes kaput and needs to be replaced, how does one go about it? The battery seems to be concealed in the frame and the only way to access it would be to cut the frame open, right? Could you please clarify this.
Old 22nd September 2018, 14:23   #3888
Senior - BHPian

We have a good ol Specialized bike (Canadian make), a hybrid, which needs some love. It's in perfect condition, needs some oiling. Had been to Track n Trail, JP Nagar, and they offered a good buy-back of Rs. 15K. Should I take it? Another option is to take it to Bums On Saddle, opt for Bronze Service package costing Rs. 600, and rejuvenate it.

Query 2: The pure leather seat needs stitches at the seams. Who will do it in Bangalore?

Thanks in advance

The Bicycles thread-img_7253.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 18:30. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 22nd September 2018, 17:12   #3889
BHPian

Guys, i did cycling as a kid, till class 5 if I remember correctly. After that it was straight to scooter at age 30. Being using scooter since last 7 years now (looks like a maths problem to find the age) . So since class 6 till now no touch with cycling.
But now I am planning to buy one for my trips to gym and errands. Nothing hi-fi. Liked the Hercules TZ130, gearless with suspension. My questions to experts :
1) Being away from cycling since so many years but riding scooter, how easy or difficult would it be to adapt?
2) For my use would a gearless suffice? I am on a tight budget. The Track n Trail in Chennai is quoting around 6800 for TZ130. The one with 18 gears is for 7800. I am wary about the maintenance aspect of geared cycles.

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 22nd September 2018 at 17:13.
Old 22nd September 2018, 18:15   #3890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
1) Being away from cycling since so many years but riding scooter, how easy or difficult would it be to adapt?
2) For my use would a gearless suffice? I am on a tight budget. The Track n Trail in Chennai is quoting around 6800 for TZ130. The one with 18 gears is for 7800. I am wary about the maintenance aspect of geared cycles.
1) There would be no issue at all. I am not sure what you meant by adapt? Cycling just like swimming is something you dont forget. I my self started cycling after about 20 years.

2) For local short trips you may not even need suspension. More savings.
Old 22nd September 2018, 19:10   #3891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
1) I am not sure what you meant by adapt?
Couple of months ago I went to Decathlon and tried a cycle. Found it difficult to pedal and maintain balance. In scooter the legs are still. That's what I meant. Maybe it's not as difficult as I make it out to be.
Thanks for your response.
Old 22nd September 2018, 20:12   #3892
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
We have a good ol Specialized bike (Canadian make), a hybrid, which needs some love. It's in perfect condition, needs some oiling. Had been to Track n Trail, JP Nagar, and they offered a good buy-back of Rs. 15K. Should I take it? Another option is to take it to Bums On Saddle, opt for Bronze Service package costing Rs. 600, and rejuvenate it.
That's a good bike - you should retain it. Considering it has Sora components, that's not bad; I didn't think Sora components were used on hybrids. Plus the shock absorber(?) under the seat seems to be quite interesting. Plus Shwalbe tires and a Dolce seat - someone has spent a decent amount of money on this bike in the past.

It's a size S; else I'd have quoted a price too

Last edited by ninjatalli : 22nd September 2018 at 20:13.
Old 23rd September 2018, 08:45   #3893
Senior - BHPian

Yes, we tested several bikes and none are as smooth or as comfortable. So going to retain it. I'll get the leather seat fixed.

That 'someone' is 'Wolfi's in Dubai'. Whenever he services a bike he will always change a component to something better. Thank you.

But your observation is spot on regarding all the components, its amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
That's a good bike - you should retain it. Considering it has Sora components, that's not bad; I didn't think Sora components were used on hybrids. Plus the shock absorber(?) under the seat seems to be quite interesting. Plus Shwalbe tires and a Dolce seat - someone has spent a decent amount of money on this bike in the past.

It's a size S; else I'd have quoted a price too

Last edited by Sebring : 23rd September 2018 at 08:51.
Old 23rd September 2018, 20:55   #3894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
1) There would be no issue at all. I am not sure what you meant by adapt? Cycling just like swimming is something you dont forget. I my self started cycling after about 20 years.

2) For local short trips you may not even need suspension. More savings.
Got the Hercules TZ130 home today evening. Rode from the shop to home, a distance of 6kms. All my apprehensions vanished once I started pedaling. Feels great. Thank you.

Last edited by Samurai : 24th September 2018 at 07:54. Reason: typo
Old 24th September 2018, 13:48   #3895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Thank you for the explanation. Looks like you have done your research well.

This is very good point you make and I wondered that myself. I tried to call them a few times on the customer care line but they dont answer their phones which is somewhat disconcerting. I would have expected better from a large manufacturer like Hero!

Last edited by ampere : 24th September 2018 at 13:52. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 24th September 2018, 15:11   #3896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar101 View Post
I would have expected better from a large manufacturer like Hero!
Definitely. I urge you to get this point clarified before spending so much. Specifically, whether the battery warranty involves a frame replacement in the event that the battery itself cannot be replaced. If not, then you will be left with a very overpriced regular bicycle.
Old 25th September 2018, 11:48   #3897
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Got the Hercules TZ130 home today evening. Rode from the shop to home, a distance of 6kms. All my apprehensions vanished once I started pedaling. Feels great. Thank you.
Wow! You bought a gearless one!

BTW, yes I agree with Amit, suspension is not needed. In fact, after riding around 880km in last 5 months in the city as well as on the hills and rural roads/state highways on my hybrid and roadie, I will say suspension is not required at all.

Enjoy the cycle and wish you many happy kilometers!
Old 25th September 2018, 13:15   #3898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Wow! You bought a gearless one!

BTW, yes I agree with Amit, suspension is not needed. In fact, after riding around 880km in last 5 months in the city as well as on the hills and rural roads/state highways on my hybrid and roadie, I will say suspension is not required at all.

Enjoy the cycle and wish you many happy kilometers!
Thanks for the wishes.
This is my first bicycle purchase. With backpain recurring now and then thought it would be a good idea to have suspension in whichever small way it helps. And the gearless one was keeping in mind my usage. I don't plan to venture out further than 2-3 kms from my home.
Once again thanks for the wishes.
Have a nice day.
Old 3rd October 2018, 11:08   #3899
Senior - BHPian

Any recommendations on a decent bike lock ? I checked the decathlon website but the better ones are on the heavier side .
Old 3rd October 2018, 11:44   #3900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
A year has gone by, and had my first major upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
My advice: Get a 20k budget, and buy a nice basic (and AWESOME!) aluminium hybrid. Something like a Montra Blues!
Its time to post an update. Haven't posted in while, but here is the newest member in our family. Presenting to you *drum roll* - Isabel (Triban 500). Yeah, not the most creative name, but found it nice. The new Decathlon store in Belapur sealed the deal. Got her in early August.
The Bicycles thread-img_4148.jpg

The Bicycles thread-bc36c5b5d41847bd9f51af68411b7eea.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_3722.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_3836.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I will see how long the LA-S serves me. If issues crop up, mostly I will replace it.
Sold the LA-S to friend who is happy with that as well. So roughly used the bike for 3.5 years. It also affirmed my commitment to cycling and allowed me to splurge on a nice upgrade.

Last edited by blackwasp : 3rd October 2018 at 11:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks