Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2018, 23:21   #4021
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
When you are into MTB, fork becomes crucial and itch of upgrade starts as soon as you taste the ride on trails or bad roads. And tapered head-tube opens way for wide range of fork options.
All along I’ve been using my MTB on roads. But, since last month after I got a roadie, I take MTB on trails and have fun with it. Inspite of owning an MTB for long I’m a beginner. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post

My budget is around 10K, and I am looking for a hybrid bicycle that would be comfortable over bad roads. Is the Kross bicycle the way to go? Except for those slim high-speed tyres, it seems to have everything else - and that front disc brake seems like a bonus.
Get the bike that you like. But before that Try and see if the bike fits you. Get a good first bike. Believe me it’s addictive. I’ve seen others and including me spending on a nice upgrade very early into the product life.

Rent a bike for few days and make your decision.

Since I see you from chennai, a hybrid owned by a fellow bhpian might come up for sale as he is upgrading to a roadie

Last edited by varunanb : 20th November 2018 at 23:23. Reason: Added a comment
Old 28th November 2018, 22:23   #4022
Senior - BHPian

Sincere thanks to all the contributors in this thread for re-igniting the interest in cycling. I 've been a silent observer of this thread for last few months and finally picked up a less than a year old Merida crossway 20D hybrid (picture below) through a decent olx deal in the vicinity. Although I wan't very interested in disc brake and front suspension but somehow liked the overall feel of the bike. Thankfully have been able to convince a few other colleagues to take up cycling on the weekends and now we have a small group of 5-6 people going out for small rides (till now upto 60-70 km) in the weekends.
I need some suggestion on a decent tyre & tube for the hybrid, size 700x40c (which are available in India), as someone has badly damaged the rear set. I am yet to assess in detail but in all probability both might need to be changed. The OEM tyre is Kenda K 1024 700x40c but I am unable find it online. Any suggestion will be helpful.

The Bicycles thread-merida.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 19:16. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 29th November 2018, 00:23   #4023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Sincere thanks to all the contributors in this thread for re-igniting the interest in cycling. I 've been a silent observer of this thread for last few months and finally picked up a less than a year old Merida crossway 20D hybrid (picture below) through a decent olx deal in the vicinity. Although I wan't very interested in disc brake and front suspension but somehow liked the overall feel of the bike. Thankfully have been able to convince a few other colleagues to take up cycling on the weekends and now we have a small group of 5-6 people going out for small rides (till now upto 60-70 km) in the weekends.
I need some suggestion on a decent tyre & tube for the hybrid, size 700x40c (which are available in India), as someone has badly damaged the rear set. I am yet to assess in detail but in all probability both might need to be changed. The OEM tyre is Kenda K 1024 700x40c but I am unable find it online. Any suggestion will be helpful.
Nice bike.

Your saddle is probably too low.

Those rims can easily take 35c or even lower.

32c would be nice. 28c even nicer.

Unless you weigh 90+. In which case I'd suggest 32c. Or even 35c.

40 and 42 are too wide and do not provide any benefit over 32 or 35.

Cheers, Doc
Old 29th November 2018, 09:43   #4024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Your saddle is probably too low.

Those rims can easily take 35c or even lower.
Thanks Doc for the detailed reply. Actually this was the pic taken right after bringing the bike home, the seat post has been re-adjusted thereafter.
Since I am 2-3 Kg short of 90, probably going for 35/32C would be better. Only thing is it will be a mismatch and may be slight eyesore to have a thinner tyre on the front and a wider one at the back. Could you suggest any suitable brand/model for the tyre for hybrid usage (road & light trail).
Online I could see Btwin Trekking 1 (~900 Rs), Schrodinger15 40035 WANDA (~700 Rs) and Michelin protek cross (~ 1600 Rs). For tube as of now, I have an unused Btwin tube worth 200 Rs!

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 19:17. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 29th November 2018, 10:05   #4025
Senior - BHPian

Kenda tyres are easily available. Try the shops, these days they stock everything. In Bangalore many of these outlets have it but pricing was not uniform. So probably those imports without proper distributor (Grey Market), not sure!

Those are my bikes. The Scott got new Kenda shoes. Letting go of the Specialized ... since I'm using Scott mostly

Quote:
The OEM tyre is Kenda K 1024 700x40c but I am unable find it online. Any suggestion will be helpful.
The Bicycles thread-image13.png

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 19:18. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 29th November 2018, 10:16   #4026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Doc for the detailed reply. Actually this was the pic taken right after bringing the bike home, the seat post has been re-adjusted thereafter.
Since I am 2-3 Kg short of 90, probably going for 35/32C would be better. Only thing is it will be a mismatch and may be slight eyesore to have a thinner tyre on the front and a wider one at the back. Could you suggest any suitable brand/model for the tyre for hybrid usage (road & light trail).
Online I could see Btwin Trekking 1 (~900 Rs), Schrodinger15 40035 WANDA (~700 Rs) and Michelin protek cross (~ 1600 Rs). For tube as of now, I have an unused Btwin tube worth 200 Rs!
Bro obviously you dump the remaining 40 and change both tyres.

Will be worth it in terms of speed and ease of rolling.

Any decent Indian tyre will do for now. I've done 7000 Kms and 3 brevets and multiple other 200 and 300 km rides on the GRLs (Govind Rubber Limited).

I've used Ralco (Ralston) in the past.

Both are good sturdy nylon tyres. Made for export. And cost 300-350 bucks each - the cost of a Schwalbe inner tube.

As Modiji says, make in India!

Cheers, Doc
Old 29th November 2018, 10:30   #4027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Kenda tyres are easily available. Try the shops, these days they stock everything. In Bangalore many of these outlets have it but pricing was not uniform. So probably those imports without proper distributor (Grey Market), not sure!
Those are my bikes. The Scott got new Kenda shoes. Letting go of the Specialized ... since I'm using Scott mostly
Nice sets of bikes. Yes need to visit the shops around, should be having more options than online.

Quote:
Bro obviously you dump the remaining 40 and change both tyres.
Was thinking from a miser point of view to continue the other one as far as possible. Makes sense to change entire lot. Good to know the Indian tires are good enough, surely saves some good money! BTW, your ACT 110 build-up and the whole philosophy behind it is really motivating, somewhat matches with an old jeep restoration framework

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 19:19. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 29th November 2018, 11:07   #4028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice sets of bikes. Yes need to visit the shops around, should be having more options than online.

Was thinking from a miser point of view to continue the other one as far as possible. Makes sense to change entire lot. Good to know the Indian tires are good enough, surely saves some good money! BTW, your ACT 110 build-up and the whole philosophy behind it is really motivating, somewhat matches with an old jeep restoration framework
I just love my ACT man.

A Btwin sport saddle (which I dumped coz the shape didn't suit my rear), a rear Shimano 7 speed MegaRange freewheel, and the tyres are allI really bought new for her as parts.

The two bolt seat post and a stronger lighter rear wheel I got free from the company after I complained of the miserable quality of the originals.

Over and above that I customized her by cannibalising some parts from my previous ride, the steel framed Hercules To Gear - the bare ends came from her.

Then lights, computer, front, saddle, top tube and frame bags, and frame pump I bought for my brevets.

And over time replaced most of the consumables like brake pads (Jagwire), cables (Shimano) and top quality front and rear hub bearings, and acreconditioned bottom bracket (where the Giant guys replaced the end bearings on the same spindle and dust tube assembly, saving me 500 bucks on a new one).

People spent a year telling me how the geometry and size is all wrong for me. But I love her. Have done more miles on her than any other cycle. And am faster on her than the way more premium and expensive Scott Sportster I used briefly. At my peak last year, I was keeping up with roadies, and achieving average speeds touching 30 kmph in the first splits of the brevets I did (150-200 Kms).

It's not about the bike!

Cheers, Doc
Old 2nd December 2018, 15:25   #4029
BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestion will be helpful.
You can try and get Schwalbe marathon supreme in 32mm or 35mm. Very good tyre. About 3200.00 per tyre.

Old 4th December 2018, 16:06   #4030
BHPian

Quote:
I just love my ACT man.
Hey another fellow ACT 110 owner!

I bought a second hand (I'm the 3rd owner) ACT 110 about 18 months back from my friend. This bike is ~10 years old. Have restored it over the past 18 months to an almost new condition.. even did a long write up of it (it's in a notebook). (If there's enough interest, will share it in this thread.)

I use it daily for commute and errands. Have a road bike for longer rides but love the ACT.

Old 4th December 2018, 20:06   #4031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
Hey another fellow ACT 110 owner!

I bought a second hand (I'm the 3rd owner) ACT 110 about 18 months back from my friend. This bike is ~10 years old. Have restored it over the past 18 months to an almost new condition.. even did a long write up of it (it's in a notebook). (If there's enough interest, will share it in this thread.)

I use it daily for commute and errands. Have a road bike for longer rides but love the ACT.
Would love to read your writeup buddy. With photos would be even better.

For the experts, I measured my rim inner bead width - where the tyre wire bead seats. It's between 16 and 17 mm. So per my research, these rims can take 25, 28, 32 and 35c tyres.

I have been riding on the stock 35c tyres for 7000 Kms.

A couple of days ago, on a whim, just to see if they mount, and how they look, I mounted a spare 23c road bike tyre on to a spare wheel set I have (the original rear wheel ... which has now been upgraded to deeper aero Montra ones). Stronger, better rolling, and solved my issue of spokes breaking.

I took all the precautions while fitting the Presta tube into the Shraeder rim. A rubber patch with a hole in the center slipped over the valve, on the inside of the rim. And making sure the lock ring threaded down securely against the rim on the outside so that the thinner Presta valve does not move around in the wider Shraeder rim hole.

The tyre fitted beautifully and looked really hot compared to the commuterish 35c one. I left the wheel aside for the past two days. Last night I noticed the tyre was flat.

Removed the tube and saw that the rubber flap over the valve on the inside was split on one side along the length of the tube. And the tube had a small pinch puncture close to the valve on that side. Bummer.

I'm wondering why it happened. In spite of the precautions. And not even riding on the wheel.

Any clues guys?

There go my plans of buying only Presta valve tubes and switching them between both the roadie and the hybrid.

Cheers, Doc
Old 4th December 2018, 21:19   #4032
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any clues guys?
I doubt a rubber patch would prevent the tube to squeeze in through the bigger hole of the schrader valve. You will need a stiffer material to reduce the hole size - maybe a small piece of plastic cut from a thick PET bottle (coke bottle?), and Presta size hole drilled on this piece of plastic. Over this, provide the rubber patch, and this should hold.
Old 4th December 2018, 22:44   #4033
Senior - BHPian

Oh boy cycling is an expensive hobby! Specially when you get into the spirit of Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals. Below are few of the things I splurged upon:

1. Wahoo Elemnt bike gps (got the bigger one at the price of smaller one)
2. Wahoo TickrX heartrate monitor (10% off, plus I had some store credit)
3. Wahoo speed and cadence sensors (same as above)
4. Some apparel from Rapha, noteworthy their brevet long sleeve windblock jersey
5. Showerspass base layer and waterproof socks

Since getting all this gear, I have put in 3 rides, totaling almost 120 miles, which also helped me meet my 2018 goal of 4500 miles.

The Wahoo setup is really useful, specially when you pair cadence and heart rate to the gps. The first ride was a 25 mile ride so I went hard on that ride, confirmed by an average bpm of 160 and cadence of 88rpm. Yesterday I went on a 70 mile ride in the morning, followed by 25 miles in the afternoon. Naturally I was a bit tired for the second ride but keeping a check on the cadence (ensuring I don't go beyond 90 rpm) kept my heartbeat from exceeding 150 bpm. As a result, I was not totally dead by the end of it!

The Rapha windblock jersey, paired with Showerspass baselayer was ideal for the 40-50F windy day yesterday. I think this is going to be the most versatile piece of clothing for me, given the variances in New England weather here.

The waterproof socks are too thick to wear under my biking shoes, so they will be used for other outdoor activity.

Overall, I am ready to tackle my 2019 goals of earning a P-12 award (one sub 200K randonneuring event every month) and the Super Randonneur honorific (200K, 300K, 400K and 600K rides in one year)

Having said that, my P-12 has hit a roadblock as Randonneur USA has stopped all permanents because of a lawsuit. Will see how that goes. Hopefully the Regional Brevet Admin will schedule a 100K every month.

Anyway, that was a long unwieldy, unstructured update from me.

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 6th December 2018, 21:37   #4034
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Below are few of the things I splurged upon:

1. Wahoo Elemnt bike gps (got the bigger one at the price of smaller one)
2. Wahoo TickrX heartrate monitor (10% off, plus I had some store credit)
3. Wahoo speed and cadence sensors (same as above)
4. Some apparel from Rapha, noteworthy their brevet long sleeve windblock jersey
5. Showerspass base layer and waterproof socks

Since getting all this gear, I have put in 3 rides, totaling almost 120 miles, which also helped me meet my 2018 goal of 4500 miles.
Nice shopping list there. Congratulations on reaching your goal for 2018. 4500 miles is some serious mileage!

Quote:
The Wahoo setup is really useful, specially when you pair cadence and heart rate to the gps. The first ride was a 25 mile ride so I went hard on that ride, confirmed by an average bpm of 160 and cadence of 88rpm. Yesterday I went on a 70 mile ride in the morning, followed by 25 miles in the afternoon. Naturally I was a bit tired for the second ride but keeping a check on the cadence (ensuring I don't go beyond 90 rpm) kept my heartbeat from exceeding 150 bpm. As a result, I was not totally dead by the end of it!
Welcome to training with numbers. Once you start training with numbers like heart rate, cadence, power etc., you can easily step up your performance. When you keep your heart rate in the optimum zones based on ride duration (for example Zone 2 for long rides, Zone 4 and 5 for intervals etc), you can finish the rides strong.

You are on track to the next step that is training with power

Quote:
Oh boy cycling is an expensive hobby!
Words of wisdom
Even I have been splurging the past few weeks. Following is my list and the justification I gave my family.
1. Custom built wheels with AI33 rims, DT Swiss 350 hubs and Sapim CX Ray spokes - Had broken spokes in two consecutive years in Thonnur Triathlon.
2. Wahoo Kickr Core smart trainer - To keep up training in rain and for structured training
3. Garmin Vector 3 power meter pedals - For training with power
4. Scott Road Bike shoes (ordered, yet to arrive) - For the Garmin Vector pedals.

Have to lay low for another year now!
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 02:14   #4035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Even I have been splurging the past few weeks. Following is my list and the justification I gave my family.
1. Custom built wheels with AI33 rims, DT Swiss 350 hubs and Sapim CX Ray spokes - Had broken spokes in two consecutive years in Thonnur Triathlon.
2. Wahoo Kickr Core smart trainer - To keep up training in rain and for structured training
3. Garmin Vector 3 power meter pedals - For training with power
4. Scott Road Bike shoes (ordered, yet to arrive) - For the Garmin Vector pedals.

Have to lay low for another year now!
Nice! Specially the Wahoo Kickr Core trainer!

Power meter is the main thing that is missing from my setup. But my expense account for bike shopping is closed for some time

The most important item on my wishlist right now is to have our Regional Brevet Admin schedule populaires throughout the year so that I can shoot for a P-12 award.

Most Viewed