Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2019, 15:15   #4111
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho
That's a really neat ACT you have there @bugatti! Beautifully kept and maintained. I can feel the passion and obsession!
Thank you. It's taken much trial and error but I realized, the only equivalent (weight and quality wise) of this bike is the Firefox volante (31k) or Cannondale Quick 4 (48k) so whatever I've spent repairing it is probably a bargain (in my eyes).

I had already spent 6-8k before I realized it might need much more, but I felt ok. This led me to bring the bike upto better than new condition.

Quote:
The triple crank of the ACT is a hybrid road crank. 48/38/28. Not an MTB one. What exactly was bent? The chain rings? The BB axle? the crank arms?

You got a new crank AND all of the above for just 1750? Just does not add up bro. How much as the crank for? Which brand? I hope you've not replaced an original TI crank with a low cost alternative. The crank is the heart of the bike.
So, by chance, at your request, checked the screenshot (which I've attached in this post, it's not available on the choosemycycle website anymore), the crank is 42,34,24. And that's what I have now. I don't recall the brand but it cost me 850/-. It works well for now, let's see. One or two of the chainrings in the original crankset were bent.

The original Sypo brand brake calipers cost me 700 for the set.

Which is why adding it up came up to 1750 with some labour costs.

Quote:
Can you share that screenshot here please for the rest of us ACT owners as well? 1 mm actually makes no difference. There is a huge taper at both ends that gives massive adjustability. The problem lies elsewhere I think.
I too thought that a minor difference will hardly matter, but trust me, it does. After getting the bottom set changed, I've not had the chain fall off even once. And I've now commute on this bike.. Also, the shifting is very precise after changing the bottom set. I asked the mech at Shop 5 if the FD was working well, he said, it was good, no need to change. The crank too is of the same type that was installed earlier. So my only suspect is the bottom set.

I don't recall the exact size and taper differences, but when he checked it with the Vernier calipers, it was not the same as in the screenshot.

Quote:
The ACT wheels have 36 spokes, not 32.
My bad, yes, 36. My road bike had 32.

Quote:
Original ACT spokes are impossible to find. Not even TI could send me a set. I wrote and spoke to their top guys in Chennai.

Which brand spokes did you get? What was the price per spoke? I have been replacing spokes with the expensive Giant ones at 50 bucks a spoke. Some smaller shops charge even 100-200 bucks a spoke! Mad
I spoke to TI myself (sometime mid 2018) for confirmation and availability of the bottom set, but got not reply so didn't pursue it further.

Shop 1 had the original spokes. I have the entire stock now, haha (some 4 pieces, after installing 6).
It cost me 30 + 10 (each spoke + nipple).

You can go to any nice bike shop (Mastermind in bombay etc) and ask them for Sapim J bend spokes. They will cut it to the exact size (281mm) and create a thread. Each costs 50-75 only (excluding nipple).

Quote:
This will be on my list soon as well. What was the cost and which brand did you get? Specs?
I don't know the details. Sorry. This replacement happened at Shop 2. I'm guessing it must be some local brand. However, Shop 5's mech confirmed that, after the replacement at Shop 2, the headset bearings & hub bearings are OK. So I'm OK with that for now. You can get replacements from any good bearings shop (if it dismantled in front of you).

Quote:
You story and experience of going shop to shop, different shops for different things, attitude etc. is all part and parcel of riding an "Indian" bike and expecting "imported" bike standards, parts, service. I know it sucks. I get less attitude getting my KTM serviced. But that's the dysfunctional cycling and cycle shops scene in India. Short of doing all the work on your own, you have to go along and get the work done so that your bike can keep rolling. Without some hamfisted hathoda cchaap mechanic doing some irreversible damage.
Cheers, Doc
Which is the very reason why I shared this story. I was surprised at the level of knowledge and service I received at various shops.
If I had a 1.5L road bike, I would understand the costs for its maintenance but this wasn't so demanding. And these shops still couldn't get it right. I shudder at the quality of service other bikes receive in their hands.There's the high end (2-3k plus for service etc) and the bottom end (few hundreds) but nothing reasonable with good quality in the middle. Much time and effort.
(My road bike experience and service can be another long post too, )
The Bicycles thread-hercules-act-110-neco-bottom-bracket.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:01. Reason: formatting. EDIT: Quotes added. Please check the Announcements section on how to quote posts. Picture inserted in-line. Thanks!
Old 2nd February 2019, 15:47   #4112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
Thank you. It's taken much trial and error but I realized, the only equivalent (weight and quality wise) of this bike is the Firefox volante (31k) or Cannondale Quick 4 (48k) so whatever I've spent repairing it is probably a bargain (in my eyes).
Any cycling enthusiast will tell you that the ACT is as good as many 30-35K hybrid imports. I have no idea why they discontinued it. They do sell the Trance Pro under Montra though. Except for the fork, its pretty much the same bike.

Quote:
So, by chance, at your request, checked the screenshot (which I've attached in this post, it's not available on the choosemycycle website anymore), the crank is 42,34,24. And that's what I have now. I don't recall the brand but it cost me 850/-. It works well for now, let's see. One or two of the chainrings in the original crankset were bent.
I'm not doubting you, but if you are only going per choosemybicycle (which is often wrong), please physically count the number of teeth on the old (original) crank and tell me. I know 100% that mine (original) is 48/38/28.

Quote:
You can go to any nice bike shop (Mastermind in bombay etc) and ask them for Sapim J bend spokes. They will cut it to the exact size (281mm) and create a thread. Each costs 50-75 only (excluding nipple).
The spokes, all sides, front right and left, rear right and left, are 270 mm (+ 1-2 mm is ok). I know coz I've replaced one recently and had a 290 mm spoke cut and re-threaded at Giant for the same.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:01. Reason: Spacing.
Old 2nd February 2019, 16:15   #4113
BHPian

Quote:
Any cycling enthusiast will tell you that the ACT is as good as many 30-35K hybrid imports. I have no idea why they discontinued it. They do sell the Trance Pro under Montra though. Except for the fork, its pretty much the same bike.
They discontinued it because they shifted all models to Montra. The only montra close to the ACT 110 is the Timba 1.1 2017 (without discs). But I still prefer the ACT.

Quote:
I'm not doubting you, but if you are only going per choosemybicycle (which is often wrong), please physically count the number of teeth on the old (original) crank and tell me. I know 100% that mine (original) is 48/38/28.
I counted the Hercules' crank's chain rings , its 42, 34, 24.
Checked the original crank's rings, its 42 too.

Quote:
The spokes, all sides, front right and left, rear right and left, are 270 mm (+ 1-2 mm is ok). I know coz I've replaced one recently and had a a 290 mm spoke cut and re-threaded at Giant for the same.
I've attached a photo of a spare spoke measuring. It's 281mm.

Some things I need to keep a watch on for future replacement as they might not be close to original quality.
  1. crank.
  2. chain.
  3. bottom set.
  4. headset bearings.
  5. hub bearings.
The Bicycles thread-herculesspokelength.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:04. Reason: Quotes added. Please check the Announcements section for how to add Quotes. Picture inserted in-line. LIST added.
Old 2nd February 2019, 18:38   #4114
BHPian

Hey guys,

I just picked up the Firefox Rapid earlier in the day for everyday commute and short weekend runs. All good except while taking a closer look back at the bike at home, I see this (picture attached) on two of the 4 joints under the top tube of the main frame. Is this going to be a problem or you think it is just a bad finish with the paint job and I shouldn't really worry about it?

Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks,
Ramki

The Bicycles thread-img_2295.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:04. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 2nd February 2019, 23:12   #4115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamki View Post
Hey guys,

I just picked up the Firefox Rapid earlier in the day for everyday commute and short weekend runs. All good except while taking a closer look back at the bike at home, I see this (picture attached) on two of the 4 joints under the top tube of the main frame. Is this going to be a problem or you think it is just a bad finish with the paint job and I shouldn't really worry about it?

Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks,
Ramki
Congrats on the Rapide. Its a really nice bike. I think it scores over the similar spec Montras on the shifters and/or Rear derailleur too.

I don't understand what I'm supposed to be looked at or for? That looks like a normal weld. Anyways it's not weight or stress bearing. Its a cable routing external eyelet. That's all.

Please post detailed photos of your bike with specs. That would help future riders interested in the same model.

Cheers, Doc
Old 3rd February 2019, 15:30   #4116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Congrats on the Rapide. Its a really nice bike. I think it scores over the similar spec Montras on the shifters and/or Rear derailleur too.

I don't understand what I'm supposed to be looked at or for? That looks like a normal weld. Anyways it's not weight or stress bearing. Its a cable routing external eyelet. That's all.

Please post detailed photos of your bike with specs. That would help future riders interested in the same model.

Cheers, Doc
Thanks Doc. Yeah, maybe it's just bad paint job over the welds, guess I was being paranoid! :-) Not quite happy with the overall quality of finish though, the showroom also seem to have handled the bike quite roughly through it's assembly, spotted quite a few scratches after I picked it up.

Anyway, with a budget of 20k for a hybrid XL in mind, I was pondering over the BTwin Triban100, Montra Trance and the Firefox Rapid for a week before finalising on the Rapid thanks to some invaluable advice from my cycling friends on the running group I am part of. The Rapid did have better specs (drivetrain specifically) and also looked a lot better compared to the other 2.

Did a 50km roundtrip to Chikka Tirupathi this morning and I enjoyed the ride. Yet to find the correct seating position (saddle height) but hopefully i'll get there soon.

Pics and Strava link to my activity shared below. Already looking forward to my next long ride!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2120481910

The Bicycles thread-c014a28f6f094ff6a7d0c353c350b521.jpg

The Bicycles thread-c10224468c4c47fca07239880875d628.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:05. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
raamki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 15:46   #4117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pics and Strava link to my activity shared below. Already looking forward to my next long ride!
That looks like a quality frame and very nice fork.. Not much choice in the market for XL size. The Triban has a single chainring up front if I'm not mistaken. And the Trance Pro has a basic rear derailleur while the Rapide I think has an Acera.

If you have a Giant or a cycle weighing scale close by, could you weigh your bike and tell.me the weight please. Exact, in kilos. Please remove the add-ons like the cable lock, bags, bottle, pump, etc. before you weigh her.

Don't worry about nicks and scratches. They build character. Birthmarks!

Cheers, Doc
Old 4th February 2019, 09:16   #4118
BHPian

Quote:
Did a 50km roundtrip to Chikka Tirupathi this morning and I enjoyed the ride. Yet to find the correct seating position (saddle height) but hopefully i'll get there soon.
A quick and dirty way ... Put your heel on the pedal, ensure pedal is at 6 o'clock position. Your knees should be straight w/o straining. This would give you, your saddle height.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:06. Reason: Quote trimmed.
sanjbmw2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 20:48   #4119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
I counted the Hercules' crank's chain rings , its 42, 34, 24.
Checked the original crank's rings, its 42 too.
I did count the ones on the largest gear on my bicycle this evening, and it is 42T only. But I really have no clue if the previous owner changed something. I sent their customer care a mail to help with spares, and they very promptly gave me a call in less than a hour since I sent the mail! That was extremely impressive, and I inquired if there was a manual or specification sheet which could help us understand all the original specifications of the bicycle, but unfortunately the customer care executive said something like that was not available.

And though I am certainly not happy with the way the photos have turned out, I wanted to share them as this was a request from ebonho that has been pending for sometime now.

I really want to take better pictures of the bicycle before I share more

The Bicycles thread-img_20190131_062111.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20190131_062130.jpg

The scar above the nose showing the exposed aluminium frame beneath -
The Bicycles thread-img_20190131_062153.jpg

The broken rear gear shift housing that is missing. I will start hunting for a replacement assembly soon.
The Bicycles thread-img_20190131_062219.jpg

This is certainly the best picture of the bicycle yet. And I think all the thread visitors would agree with the sign board in the picture
The Bicycles thread-img_20190202_075004.jpg
Old 4th February 2019, 21:16   #4120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I did count the ones on the largest gear on my bicycle this evening, and it is 42T only. But I really have no clue if the previous owner changed something. I sent their customer care a mail to help with spares, and they very promptly gave me a call in less than a hour since I sent the mail! That was extremely impressive, and I inquired if there was a manual or specification sheet which could help us understand all the original specifications of the bicycle, but unfortunately the customer care executive said something like that was not available.
Wonderful photos of an ACT finding a loving owner n home and coming back to life!

We can start a club now! Lol

In a sea of expensive fancy bikes, when I see a sibling ACT it just makes me love and cover mine all the more.

Had brewed a nice cup of filter coffee (Shukla's Nilgiri roast) when I read your post and it sent me into a flutter of panic. Two guys saying 42???? Don't tell me man! Cannot be.

I left my coffee and went to check my bike. Chalk mark made I counted the teeth.

48!

It seems therefore there are two iterations of the ACT. One (mine) with the road gearing, and one (yours and Bugatti's) with the lower MTB gearing.

The other inkling I got was the shifters. They are different to mine. Mine are Made in Taiwan Shimanos (the stickers are still there on the underside of both).

Even the brake calipers (black, not alloy) and saddle are different.

Mine is a 2016 billed bike, so I guess it was the last lot made and sold here before they discontinued it. The silver grey and dark green ones are the older models.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. That straight bar is a classic. Have had tons of riders admire it. It just feels right. Now when I ride a riser bar, it feels weird. And it's a compact one. For an urban bike. To filter in and out of traffic with.

P.P.S. So glad you've not put a side stand on her!

P.P.P.S. Also I don't know if its convention or there is a technical reason, but the lever of the quick release of both wheels is always on the left side. On your bike it's on the right.

Last edited by ebonho : 4th February 2019 at 21:44.
Old 4th February 2019, 22:57   #4121
Senior - BHPian

Can't edit my previous post due to the time window. Got some photos to point out the differences ....

The shifters

The Bicycles thread-img_20190204_220122.jpg

The black V brake arms

The Bicycles thread-img_20190204_220302.jpg

The badge (sticker)

The Bicycles thread-img_20190204_220225.jpg

The saddle

The Bicycles thread-img_20190204_222350.jpg

Cheers, Doc
Old 5th February 2019, 10:54   #4122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wonderful photos of an ACT finding a loving owner n home and coming back to life!

We can start a club now!
Thank you for the kind words Doc. But I am definitely disappointed by the quality of the images I had shared. Maybe I need to plan a proper photo-shoot with my DSLR to do justice to this beauty.

And yes, going by the new logo on your bike, it definitely points to two variants of the ACT 110 having been produced and yours is certainly the more road-inclined version with taller gearing and sportier colour options

I initially had plans for a kick stand for the sake of convenience, but I somehow was never convinced with all the large and unwieldy options that were offered so chose to skip it for the time being.

Need of the hour is a nice and fast-rolling front tyre as the one that is already on the bike has cracks and is out of its useful life for sure.

Noob Query: Once I develop the legs, can I consider switching the crank set with 48T like on yours, to improve the speed? (like you had already mentioned, biker influence I suppose ) And for the gear shift assemblies, can I again upgrade to the ones on your bicycle instead of replacing it with whatever is already on my bicycle?

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:08. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 5th February 2019, 13:14   #4123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I initially had plans for a kick stand for the sake of convenience, but I somehow was never convinced with all the large and unwieldy options that were offered so chose to skip it for the time being.
A kick stand is useless unless you have luggage and are on tour. A cycle is much cleaner without one, its useless weight, and sometimes the ones from the center of the frame foul with the pedals.

Quote:
Need of the hour is a nice and fast-rolling front tyre as the one that is already on the bike has cracks and is out of its useful life for sure.
Change both, since the bike has been standing for an indeterminate amount of time. Tubes too (you can keep the present ones as spares if they do not have more than a couple of patches). I'd strongly suggest that you go in for a 28 instead of the current 35.

Quote:
Once I develop the legs, can I consider switching the crank set with 48T like on yours, to improve the speed? (like you had already mentioned, biker influence I suppose )
You don't need legs for that. 42/32/22 is just too low for road use. If you don't mind spending a bit more, I'd suggest you get a decent Shimano Tourney or Altus triple crank on to her right away. Giant had one some time ago for hardly 1800 bucks. Best 2K you would spend on the bike, especially if you are going on group rides and want to keep up with the faster guys. You would/might need a new chain too.

Quote:
And for the gear shift assemblies, can I again upgrade to the ones on your bicycle instead of replacing it with whatever is already on my bicycle?
If you are replacing, I'd suggest going a step up. To Altus or even Alivio. Instead of the EF 50 EZY Fire shifters. The Tourney trigger shifters are 1000 bucks for a set or thereabouts. Definitely not expensive to replace new.

Since you are in a place where most of the gradients are flat, I would not suggest changing the stock freewheel to a MegaRange like I did (for steep climbs).

Here are a couple of photos from my ride to the new Katraj Tunnel today morning. Nice constant gradient 7 km climb. With a killer descent on the return.

The Bicycles thread-img_20190205_071628.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20190205_071654.jpg

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 5th February 2019 at 13:22.
Old 5th February 2019, 14:08   #4124
Team-BHP Support

Got a B'twin Riverside 500 Hybrid today...

The Bicycles thread-00000img_00000_burst20190205155635791_cover.jpg

The Bicycles thread-00000img_00000_burst20190205155739333_cover.jpg

The Bicycles thread-00000img_00000_burst20190205155800338_cover.jpg

The Bicycles thread-00000img_00000_burst20190205155725627_cover.jpg

The Bicycles thread-00000img_00000_burst20190205155357007_cover.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:09. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Old 5th February 2019, 15:26   #4125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A kick stand is useless unless you have luggage and are on tour. A cycle is much cleaner without one, its useless weight, and sometimes the ones from the center of the frame foul with the pedals.
Agreed Doc, so the kick stand just got kicked-out from my bicycle-update plan.

Quote:
Change both, since the bike has been standing for an indeterminate amount of time. Tubes too (you can keep the present ones as spares if they do not have more than a couple of patches). I'd strongly suggest that you go in for a 28 instead of the current 35.
The seller told me that he got the rear tyre replaced just few weeks before I went and bought the bicycle. It has Ralson 700x35C at the rear. I was planning to update to 700x32C at the front for two reasons -
1. Would handle bad roads better than 28c (roads are quite bad near my house)
2. Not much difference when compared to the 35c in the rear.

Your views Doc?

Quote:
You don't need legs for that. 42/32/22 is just too low for road use. If you don't mind spending a bit more, I'd suggest you get a decent Shimano Tourney or Altus triple crank on to her right away. Giant had one some time ago for hardly 1800 bucks. Best 2K you would spend on the bike, especially if you are going on group rides and want to keep up with the faster guys. You would/might need a new chain too.
Yes, so that is definitely on the cards now. What difference would a Altus crank have over the regular Tourney crank? Also, should I get the bottom bracket replaced along with the crank?

Quote:
If you are replacing, I'd suggest going a step up. To Altus or even Alivio. Instead of the EF 50 EZY Fire shifters. The Tourney trigger shifters are 1000 bucks for a set or thereabouts. Definitely not expensive to replace new.

Since you are in a place where most of the gradients are flat, I would not suggest changing the stock freewheel to a MegaRange like I did (for steep climbs).
Would it make a difference when I retain the Tourney derailleurs and change to just the shifters to Altus or Alivio ones? Also, is it a mandatory to have the shift cables replaced while replacing the shifters?

Quote:
Here are a couple of photos from my ride to the new Katraj Tunnel today morning. Nice constant gradient 7 km climb. With a killer descent on the return.

Cheers, Doc
Your cycle looks brand new, and the brass spoke ends from Giant are really shining making it stand out. Kudos for all the inspiration and advice you have been providing.

I really want to thank lots of people on this specific thread for helping my understand bicycles better, and for igniting that spark in me to take by cycling seriously... Heart felt thank you to each one of you guys. Sometimes, I really miss that 'Thank You' button in these Shifting Gears forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Got a B'twin Riverside 500 Hybrid today...
Looks really chic with that flat-black finish!

Most Viewed