Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:32   #4231
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust
.I am thinking of moving to Triban RC 520 considering it to be a Gravel bicycle. The roads I ride on are village roads with poor road quality and potholes .Will the move to RC520 be good or should I stick to the existing hybrid?
The RC 520 and 500 are great value bikes, these are meant to me all in one bikes - can do everything well. Something like Jack of all trades.
These bikes can take upto 36mm tyres whereas your current bike has 38c tyres. So please bear that in mind. The RCs maybe less comfy than the current bike but inherently better bikes than the current bike.

However, you may have to take a call as you ride on village roads and poor roads.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:58. Reason: Quote fixed.
sanjbmw2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 17:28   #4232
BHPian

Hello there!

Need your valuable inputs and advice!

I am a regular runner clocking something around 180 to 250 km per month. During March 2018 I had a serious fall and was out of running for over 4 months due to jones fracture. I again, gradually came back to running from September and as I was about to hit my usual, ended up with plantar fasciitis in May this year. My last race was TCS World 10k Bengalure with 43 minutes. The foot pain was so bad that I had to literally struggle to reach back home after the race.

Typically planters pain would take a month or two to get well or sometimes even more. After 1 week of rest, as my pain was not reducing but to keep myself engaged, I picked up cycling. I started using my sons Hero Sprint. With 10 to 15 kms during week days, I slowly moved to 40 on a weekend and then progressed to 50 and then to 75 on the 3rd weekend. On my 4th weekend I hired a Giant Roam 3 and completed my maiden 100.

Now after 4 weeks of biking, I am getting a serious interest towards it. My planters issue has not recovered to a great extent. I believe I may take few more weeks to months to be back on track.

Since cycling is new to me I request your help in making a decision on the type of cycle/ model to purchase. To be very honest, I am currently confused. Pointers;
- I always thought all cycles are same!
- I enjoyed Hero Sprint till I rode Giant. What a difference. Now I know how other models, over value chain, will make the difference
- For past 3 weeks, I have been visiting decathlon I had my eye on Triban 100, until
- I rode Gaint on rough roads within the city and felt suspension will make a difference (or not sure if I will get used to non-suspension)
- I would like to use my bike for my daily cycling (not for office commute) 15-20 km and weekend long rides 50 to 100+)
- I always thought (through my study over last couple of weeks), that a hybrid bike means without a suspension and has only one gear at front
- The guy who gave me Giant said it is hybrid and it had suspension (lockable) and 3 gear rings at front
- On my last visit to decathlon the sales man confused me even further by telling ROCKRIDER 520 MTB can be made a hybrid by wearing a thin tyre
-All the hybrids at decathlon has single gear at front and comes with suspension

I don’t know much of other brands. I think after sales are also a vital part. I am also learning that gearing system plays an important role. Read that Acera sets are a decent once, however I guess most of the decathlon once are their own.

To put is short, 'please help me' with other choices from other brands or of decathlon. My budget is around 25k.
Old 3rd July 2019, 07:33   #4233
Senior - BHPian

I think most Indians from the '70s and 80s batch would identify with your story. Growing up we just had basic bikes like a Hero or Atlas. I used to pedal the fixie all the way from Basavangudi to Rex theatre (on Brigade Road), a good 25 Kms, without strain. Then, in the '90s I 'test rode' the Firefox fixie at a dealership and it was a new world for me. It was definitely a lot smoother and was no stress at all! That opened my eyes to what lay beyond. Then I moved overseas and picked up a Specialized Sirus. This is a hybrid and has no suspension. On suspension: Actually, suspension looks cool but is unnecessary in a road bike. The bike is doing duty till date. Slowly I added a Giant and Scott to the collection. A few weeks back I had a bad fall as well and am now recuperating in bed, but can see my Bike is rearing to go. Unfortunately, no riding for now!

Maintence: The thing about India is that you can buy these expensive bikes but maintenance is a problem. Committed mechanics are very hard to come by, and when you do find a good place - it is invariably expensive. The quality of work is just not 'up there'. For example, I was shocked that Bums On The Saddle charges Rs. 3,000 for a full service (Required Annually).

My suggestion: Since you're just getting started my recommendation to you would be (Raleigh)/Ti cycles ACT range and yes the Decathlon cycles are very good. Next would be a visit to TrackNTrail to check out the Schwinn/Cannondale hybrids (price quoted to me was 20-23 grand and there was a sale going on then). Hybrid (non-suspension model) is always a great choice since the tyre width is small and resistance, therefore, is lowest. You get great speed and agility. If you can afford a Giant/Specialized/Scott/Trek, go for it - but I do feel that it would be the next step, post this. Don't listen to sales talk (they're there to sell), spend some time with the bike (a lot of time) before purchase. Sorry for the long post, but this is just my two bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
sales man confused me even further
The Bicycles thread-img_4257.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 20:59. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 3rd July 2019, 09:57   #4234
BHPian

Hi guys - just discovered this amazing thread today! Never realized there was a robust bicycling thread on team-bhp!

I'm training to become an amateur triathlete, and have been using a Triban 100 hybrid from Decathlon for the past year - I've fitted it with a Favero Assioma power meter and use my Garmin 935 to track the cadence and power on it (yep, still an beginner but profoundly geeky about it!). It's my first non-MTB bike, and I really love the speeds that a lightweight bike can give.

I've been thinking about upgrading my bike...I have my eye on the higher end Tribans - but I just can't make up my mind on what kind of bike would be best, or what would be the right time to upgrade - any suggestions or guidelines to clarify my muddled thinking at this point would be very welcome!
Old 3rd July 2019, 10:28   #4235
Senior - BHPian

One of the biggest improvements seen in the new generation Tribans over the last two borderline poor generations has been the wheels.

The new wheels and hubs are really good. Whereas the older ones were pathetic and kept getting out of true, popping spokes and grenadine hubs.

New geometry, discs, build quality, fatter rubber (28c) and clearances, better saddles, and topline componentry, all at very competitive pricing, all add to the vfm proposition of the new RC series.

Cheers, Doc
Old 3rd July 2019, 10:47   #4236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kaybee View Post
I've been thinking about upgrading my bike...I have my eye on the higher end Tribans - but I just can't make up my mind on what kind of bike would be best, or what would be the right time to upgrade - any suggestions or guidelines to clarify my muddled thinking at this point would be very welcome!
Using Triban 500. You can see pics on the previous page of this thread. Happy with it but sadly not cycling as much as I should. I upgraded the rear cassette to 12-32 (for better ratios while climbing) and got clipless pedals. After upgrading to this I saw a good improvement in my avg. speed just due to a better hardware. The cycle is kept inside my home and its light enough to be carried to the first floor and then hung up on the wall without keeping it down (to avoid making the floor dirty).

Initially I was surprised at how fast the cycle goes. It can keep up with much faster bikes.

Last edited by blackwasp : 3rd July 2019 at 10:52.
Old 3rd July 2019, 14:53   #4237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I used to pedal the fixie all the way from Basavangudi to Rex theatre (on Brigade Road), a good 25 Kms, without strain.
Thank you very much! You made me old by quoting 70s and 80s.

Take care and get well soon.

I remember my dad saying me similar stories, pedalling from Basavangudi to Rex and even to his college near Hebbal.

Thanks for your inputs it helps. Request other experts to share there opinion too!
Old 3rd July 2019, 21:31   #4238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
Planning on upgrading to a road bike. My present ride is a Scott Sub Cross 40. Budget <60k. Preferably Carbon fork and Sora groupset(or better! I know very ambitious).
Any suggestions please?
Cheers.
You would do well with a Scott Speedster 30. Sora groupset, some friends have it. Works well. Just get the proper size for your height.

Quote:
Thinking on the same lines. Was in Delhi yesterday and checked out both at Decathlon Pacific mall. Personally I felt that both these are very tempting with the specifications and the corresponding cost against each. Will most probably finalise one if I succeed in warding off the pressure of going for a Bergamont or Scott (as my first seller keeps egging me on for either of these since he's the dealer in my near vicinity!).
Thanks.
Scott Speedster 30 would work for you too. Similar to Btwin 520. Wouldn't suggest the Bergamont.

Quote:
Taking all the inputs into consideration, my search is prodding along at a slow pace. Need an input on which bike carrier is reasonable and reliable. I need a carrier for a lone bike that can be mounted on the tailgate. Mine is a Renault Lodgy.
Secondly, I have sent a request for joining the Team Bhp Strava Club. I was out of Strava for a while and am making a comeback. Request the admin to do the needful.
Thanks and Cheers.
I have a BnB rack for my hatchback (carries 3 cycles). It's a decent choice. Cost me 6k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I had purchased a Btwin Riverside 900 hybrid bicycle about 3months back .I have given the bike to Decathlon as the brakes (hydraulic) are low on pressure (complaint of poor brakes since I bought ) . I understand from them they will be replacing the brakes with Tektro, once they receive the package from France on recall basis .I have been using this bike for upto 70kms ride .I also have an option to change bike of my choosing due to my dissatisfaction on component quality of various items like brakes , crank , high speed stability etc .I am thinking of moving to Triban RC 520 considering it to be a Gravel bicycle .The roads I ride on are village roads with poor road quality and potholes .Will the move to RC520 be good or should I stick to the existing hybrid ?
The Btwin Riverside 900 is the high end hybrid it sells but have heard of issues with it from another owner. The Btwin RC 520 is a good choice but it's a drop bar. Other mid and high range hybrids with hydraulic discs and 32c+ tyres might be a better choice.

Head to https://www.choosemybicycle.com/en/bicycles/hybrid, apply filters:- 30-50k and 50-1L range and fork material as rigid. You'll get some 15 models that will suit you well across various brands. You should check those specific models at your local bike store. My friend is doing the same exact thing as he's searching for a new high end hybrid.

Quote:
Hi guys - just discovered this amazing thread today! Never realized there was a robust bicycling thread on team-bhp!

I'm training to become an amateur triathlete, and have been using a Triban 100 hybrid from Decathlon for the past year - I've fitted it with a Favero Assioma power meter and use my Garmin 935 to track the cadence and power on it (yep, still an beginner but profoundly geeky about it!). It's my first non-MTB bike, and I really love the speeds that a lightweight bike can give.

Yes, it is a good time to upgrade. Triban 100 is a starting point (albeit, a good one at that).

At a min, would recommend a 105 groupset equipped bike for you. These will start at 80k. Good ones like Scott Speedster 10, Btwin Ultra, Cannondale, Fuji, Giant.. You can do you research on the BOTS and choosemybicycle website and then head to some local bike shops.
Old 3rd July 2019, 21:44   #4239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I'm hoping to get all of these in my current new ride
I picked up a Cannondale Quick 4 hybrid a few weeks back.
The Bicycles thread-img20190624wa0001.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 21:01. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 3rd July 2019, 23:18   #4240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
I picked up a Cannondale Quick 4 hybrid a few weeks back.
It's a lovely lightweight and fast hybrid. Congratulations!

I just love that iconic name boldly across the downtube.

Cheers, Doc
Old 4th July 2019, 07:48   #4241
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm training to become an amateur triathlete, and have been using a Triban 100 hybrid from Decathlon for the past year - I've fitted it with a Favero Assioma power meter and use my Garmin 935 to track the cadence and power on it (yep, still an beginner but profoundly geeky about it!).
It is great to see a fellow Triathlete (that too a Geeky Triathlete) here. All the best with your Triathlon aspirations. What are your long term goals? A full ironman?

Quote:
...but I just can't make up my mind on what kind of bike would be best, or what would be the right time to upgrade - any suggestions or guidelines to clarify my muddled thinking at this point would be very welcome!
If you want to get into triathlon, then a road bike is the best to start with (a tri bike would be the ultimate choice). It gives you better speed and as you progress in Triathlon, you can fix those clip on aero bars to further improve speed.

Regarding specific model, what is the budget you have in mind? If you have a budget of 80K, you will find lot of options in Scott, Giant, Decathlon, Merida etc. with 105 groupset.

Make a list of all the bikes in the price range with their specifications and short list based on the best components and value. And then do some test rides and choose the one that is the most comfortable. Test ride is the most important part.
Old 4th July 2019, 09:28   #4242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
It is great to see a fellow Triathlete (that too a Geeky Triathlete) here. All the best with your Triathlon aspirations. What are your long term goals? A full ironman?
A full ironman is definitely a long term dream graaja! I really savored reading your thread on your Goa Triathlon experience. But that is still a good couple of years away for me I think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
If you have a budget of 80K, you will find lot of options in Scott, Giant, Decathlon, Merida etc. with 105 groupset.

Make a list of all the bikes in the price range with their specifications and short list based on the best components and value. And then do some test rides and choose the one that is the most comfortable. Test ride is the most important part.
Thank you for your valuable advice! I think I will take the plunge this year and use your inputs as a roadmap!
Old 6th July 2019, 00:46   #4243
BHPian

Stuck at crossroads with respect to the choices I have in selecting my road bike.

1. Giant SCR 0 - Tiagra groupset and carbon fork. Retailing at ~ 70k
2. BMC Teammachine ALR01 - Sora groupset and carbon Fork (2018 Model) - retailing ~ 72k.
3. Polygon Strattos S5 - 105 groupset and carbon fork. Retailing ~ 90k
4. Polygon Strattos S4 - Tiagra groupset with carbon fork. Retailing ~80k

So, out of the above, I have ridden the BMC and it is super smooth. Lightweight and breeze to handle albeit with a Sora groupset. The others, I haven't ridden owing to where I am located and the shortage of options and access to see these models in flesh and blood.

I will request the members to pitch in with their two cents as to what is the opinion on these models in particular and the brand in general.

As I shortlisted these few bikes, suddenly a pre-worshipped Merida Reacto 400 Lampre Team Edition (2016) bursts into the scene. With 105 groupset, carbon fork, Reacto lite frame, this aerodynamic bike is available at a lucrative 55k price (where a new one is available ~ 90k approx). Ridden for about 3500 km and seems to be coming from a very genuine seller. This one has totally got my attention. Since time is tight and others would be vying for this one too, I request expert comments on this deal too.

Thanks in anticipation.
Cheers.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 21:03. Reason: Spacing, typos.
Old 6th July 2019, 09:34   #4244
Senior - BHPian

Tank and the missile

The Bicycles thread-img_20190704_073951.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20190704_074003.jpg

Cheers, Doc
Old 6th July 2019, 12:42   #4245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bumping up the post. Can someone please recommend some sane and logical options? With respect to the pre owned Merida Reacto 400, time is slipping by.
Thanks and Cheers.
I haven’t checked these models in detail. But my suggestion would be to keep the choice limited to Tiagra and 105. Also, check out the frame geometry of each bike and choose based on your preference - endurance vs. race geometry. If you are not able to get a test ride, then at least make the choice based on geometry.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks