Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2020, 06:08   #4621
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
By the way, is your trainer up for grabs as you are not using it anymore?
Not really, I do plan to use it. But if you are in the market for a used one, https://marketplace.cyclop.in/?category=indoor-trainer has some listings.
itisravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 20:48   #4622

Hi guys, I'm 52 and I've just discovered the joys of cycling thanks for Covid. I use the cycle for exercise because I have genetic heart disease in my family, and I need to do cardio exercise as a preventive. At the moment I'm using my daughter's Firefox Dart 2.4, and loving every moment on the bike. I now want to get myself a 'proper' hybrid bike, and I'd love some advice from all the experts on this group. I've been following the group for a while and I realise that many are really knowledgable ! My budget is about 30-35K- can you please reccomend something good to me ? Also, I live in Gurgaon, so anyone in Gurgaon who can reccomend a good cycle shop here ? Thanks for all your help!

Sushil
Old 27th July 2020, 15:09   #4623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilJ View Post
Hi guys, I'm 52 and I've just discovered the joys of cycling thanks for Covid. I use the cycle for exercise because I have genetic heart disease in my family, and I need to do cardio exercise as a preventive. At the moment I'm using my daughter's Firefox Dart 2.4, and loving every moment on the bike. I now want to get myself a 'proper' hybrid bike, and I'd love some advice from all the experts on this group. I've been following the group for a while and I realise that many are really knowledgable ! My budget is about 30-35K- can you please reccomend something good to me ? Also, I live in Gurgaon, so anyone in Gurgaon who can reccomend a good cycle shop here ? Thanks for all your help!

Sushil
You can consider Montra Trance or Blues and Firefox Road Runner/Rapide. I just had my bike serviced last week from the Firefox place in DLF Phase 1. Quite a decent store. It is located bang opposite DT Megamall. It's a stand alone store called Gurgaon Bikes. (9958967353).
Old 27th July 2020, 15:42   #4624

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
You can consider Montra Trance or Blues and Firefox Road Runner/Rapide. I just had my bike serviced last week from the Firefox place in DLF Phase 1. Quite a decent store. It is located bang opposite DT Megamall. It's a stand alone store called Gurgaon Bikes. (9958967353).
Thanks, yes, I think I've seen that shop from outside. I will go and check it out- thanks for your help.
Old 29th July 2020, 12:48   #4625
Senior - BHPian

Guy's , Do you any of you have any experience with Omobikes which is an Indian brand. It seems pretty cheap for what all it offers but how is it's reliability and quality in the long term ?

Is it worth buying or better to buy a slightly expensive Montra in that price range ?
Old 29th July 2020, 12:54   #4626
BHPian

Couple of years back I bought a very basic MTB (Kross Maximus 26”). And, as usual, I then stumbled upon this resourceful thread in Team-BHP later on and realized my mistake that I should have gone for a hybrid/road bike, even if at a little higher budget . The cycle wasn’t used much over these years (maximum 350 - 400 kms overall, I guess) but now I have started again, like many of the people over the country. I have been cycling on road only and don’t intend to venture off-road (atleast not proper off-road, only the craters and potholes that our roads offer! ). With the current requirements in mind, I intend to modify the bike and make it more efficient as well as friendly for on-road use. So that, if I’m really able to take this up seriously, then I can upgrade to something better.

Now, I seek help of some of the experts here on the following topics:-
  1. The tyres on the bike seem to have become hard and have developed small cracks (mostly due to prolonged parking in rain/sunlight without much usage). Currently, I’m running 26 x 1.95 tyre size in MTB pattern. Is it good option to swap them for road/hybrid tyres from a similar size. I have seen Hybrid pattern tyres in similar sizes available from BTwin (link or link). Should I go for these? Any other good options that someone would like to recommend, along with an online store from where they can be sourced?
  2. Secondly, since the front suspension is more or less useless, is it advisable to change it to rigid one to save on weight?

Any help or pointers would be very helpful. Thanks a lot in advance for all the help!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 29th July 2020, 13:16   #4627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrakkar View Post
Is it good option to swap them for road/hybrid tyres from a similar size. I have seen Hybrid pattern tyres in similar sizes available from BTwin [*]Secondly, since the front suspension is more or less useless, is it advisable to change it to rigid one to save on weight?
Your both upgrades are spot on. Go for them. That front suspension is from Zoom I guess, which is worst of the lot. Better to install a lightweight rigid fork. That combined with fast rolling tyres will make your bike more usable.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 13:58   #4628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any other good options that someone would like to recommend, along with an online store from where they can be sourced?
If you are open to spending a bit, I'll recommend getting slick/semi-slick tires from global brands. The grooves are thinner, lesser weight and they make a whole lot of difference in riding.

A few years ago, I had upgraded the default tires on my Btwin rockRider with Maxxis Detonator slicks (26'') - they helped a lot as I graduated from doing ~20 km rides to 50+ kms. The tires are also quite durable, still running on the same bike nearly 5 years later.

Check for similar options from Schwalbe, Vittoria and other global brands - local stores should be able to source them if you ask them or online stores (Bumsonthesaddle, Amazon). I recently purchased a pair of hybrid tires from Bumsonthesaddle - they deliver in a week and their prices are pretty decent.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 29th July 2020 at 14:05.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 18:54   #4629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Your both upgrades are spot on. Go for them. That front suspension is from Zoom I guess, which is worst of the lot. Better to install a lightweight rigid fork. That combined with fast rolling tyres will make your bike more usable.
Thanks tbppjpr. Any recommendations (Brand + Model) on what I can get in a decent budget? I don't think spending more than 2k on fork would be advisable since in the long term I would like to upgrade to an Aluminium framed bike (the current one is Steel frame) though overal weight is still less than 15kgs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
If you are open to spending a bit, I'll recommend getting slick/semi-slick tires from global brands. The grooves are thinner, lesser weight and they make a whole lot of difference in riding.

A few years ago, I had upgraded the default tires on my Btwin rockRider with Maxxis Detonator slicks (26'') - they helped a lot as I graduated from doing ~20 km rides to 50+ kms. The tires are also quite durable, still running on the same bike nearly 5 years later.

Check for similar options from Schwalbe, Vittoria and other global brands - local stores should be able to source them if you ask them or online stores (Bumsonthesaddle, Amazon). I recently purchased a pair of hybrid tires from Bumsonthesaddle - they deliver in a week and their prices are pretty decent.
Thanks ninjatalli! What size of Maxxis Detonator are you using?
Any other dependable online stores than bumsonthesaddle, choosemybicycle, decathlon? Asking since many stores are running out of stock these days due to high demand.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 29th July 2020, 19:10   #4630
BANNED

I had a brief experience with Decathalon with Riverside 900. The bike was taken back by them after issues with brakes even though I was out of 3months period and done more than 2000kms on it. I picked up Rockrider 540 today and hope it will be not give any issues.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 29th July 2020 at 19:11.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 19:43   #4631

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I had a brief experience with Decathalon with Riverside 900. The bike was taken back by them after issues with brakes even though I was out of 3months period and done more than 2000kms on it. I picked up Rockrider 540 today and hope it will be not give any issues.
I'm curious, what was your experience with riverside 900, in terms of ride etc. I am considering it for myself.
Old 29th July 2020, 19:50   #4632

Can I please get some advice from all the experts here? I am looking to buy a hybrid bike, and am considering whether to buy from Decathlon, or buy an imported bike (Trek Fx1 looks very good- any thoughts?). One question I would lime advice on is servicing. The shops that sell foreign bikes- do they do a good job of servicing them? Do they have the expertise to service them? I'm asking because (I think) at least in Decathlon there will be good service. Please do share any experiences.
Old 29th July 2020, 21:35   #4633
BANNED

Quote:
I'm curious, what was your experience with riverside 900, in terms of ride etc. I am considering it for myself.
The brakes were an issue but recently they have fixed that and earlier faulty models are going through for sale at 22000Inr. The improved model still retails at 40K Inr. However the crank is still the same and it creaks a lot, the front end is prone to wobble (say going down a long flyover when speeds near 30kmph plus). It is a decent bike as long as you don't demand much from it. The ride and posture is comfortable on the Riverside 900.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 10:21   #4634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
.Should we take the rim size or the the tyre size.
On my cycle rim this is printed (722 700c etrto 622*19c) whereas on the tyre it is (700*870 37-622)
Its always RIM size as per my best knowledge. Experts can correct me if i am wrong.
Old 30th July 2020, 11:17   #4635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ninjatalli! What size of Maxxis Detonator are you using?
Any other dependable online stores than bumsonthesaddle, choosemybicycle, decathlon? Asking since many stores are running out of stock these days due to high demand.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
No idea - that was 6 years ago. The bike isn't with me any more. Not aware of any other site.

Quote:
Can I please get some advice from all the experts here? I am looking to buy a hybrid bike, and am considering whether to buy from Decathlon, or buy an imported bike (Trek Fx1 looks very good- any thoughts?). One question I would lime advice on is servicing. The shops that sell foreign bikes- do they do a good job of servicing them? Do they have the expertise to service them? I'm asking because (I think) at least in Decathlon there will be good service. Please do share any experiences.
Never believed there's a dependency on the store I purchased the bike for servicing. The 3 years I owned/used my Btwin bike - I never went to Decathlon for servicing. Same goes for my current Cannondale - don't ever plan on going back to the store I bought from, unless for warranty issues.

There are numerous cycle servicing shops in every city at different price points - local cyclists will be the best source for the good ones. If servicing price isn't a big concern (especially for expensive brand cycles), then there are slightly premium options in every city - for e.g. Giant store in Pune, Mastermind Bicycle store in Mulund (Mumbai), etc.

Choose you bike basis your fitment and test riding feedback. Like you'd do for a bike or a car. Servicing should be the least of your concerns.

Edit: Trek fx series are excellent hybrid options.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 30th July 2020 at 11:28.

Most Viewed