Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2020, 13:01   #4666
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Congrats on your new bike. We should exchange notes.
I did my usual CV Raman Nagar to Koramangala (20 km) morning ride yesterday.

And boy was I exhilarated with the bike. It's handling, responsiveness and speed. Seemed like a Sports car compared to my previous bike (single speed steel frame). The 120 fits me like a glove and I was immediately comfortable in the saddle. Only thing is I have to get used to the paddle gear shifts. But getting there slowly. The gears are smooth shifting. Also got to get used to the pedal clips.

Thanks for the advise. The bike handles so well and is so agile I literally feel like flying through traffic
You are 100% correct. This seems like a totally different machine. The gear shifts are easy once you get the hang of it. I have covered a couple of 100Km rides in the past 3 weeks without a big sweat.
If you are on Strava, dm me your id.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
What all options you had in mind before you made up your mind to buy RC120? I had the same bike on the radar but with the Flat Handlebars. Like someone said in aforementioned post, all the good bikes are out of stock, one has to just go by the reviews and requirement to finalise one these days.
Thanks!
The rest of my options were all hybrids around the 35K range: Scott SubCross 50, Ridley Cordix CX1, Trek FX 2 Disc, & Polygon Path 2. But as you said, none of them are available nearby and if so, weren't right for my size/fit. Finally, also thought I would rather go for a road, rather than the hybrid.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th August 2020 at 07:30. Reason: Spacing fixed.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 13:10   #4667
BHPian

Quote:
what I was wondering is, are hybrid bikes susceptible to puncture and tyre blast as they say on the internet. Can it handle aggressive turns and minor potholes? what was the main sore point during your ownership period? Thanks!
I had just one puncture in all these years till now (total 3 bikes), never owned a roadie. My experience is with hybrids and MTB.

Sure it can handle aggressive turns but don't expect to put a knee down like on a track. If your route has potholes, I would suggest to go for any bike which has lockable suspension. You can use it whenever you want, turn it off when road is good.

Sore point was gear shifting. Acera and Tourney are basic entry level shifters and are not the smoothest. Also, rolling resistance was more as compared to a similar spec Montra. Montra felt far smoother to ride (Blues 1.1 rigid - specific model).
Old 7th August 2020, 14:41   #4668
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Acera and Tourney are basic entry level shifters and are not the smoothest.
Actually, Tourney is the entry level groupset for MTBs. Next is Altus and then Acera. So, Acera is actually a mid-level groupset for enthusiasts and quite smooth shifting.

Tourney < Altus < Acera < Alivio < Deore

For pros, it starts from SLX and goes all the way to XTR Di2.
kat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 14:44   #4669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Montra felt far smoother to ride (Blues 1.1 rigid - specific model).
It's incredible how this obscure entry level hybrid keeps coming up years after it was launched. I owned a Montra Blues for 1.5-2 years before I upgraded to a road bike. The Blues was fast, versatile, no nonsense and the guy who bought it off me, still rides it and hasn't faced any problems. I consider it a really good entry level cycle, that punches way above the money it takes to buy.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 14:46   #4670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Actually, Tourney is the entry level groupset for MTBs. Next is Altus and then Acera. So, Acera is actually a mid-level groupset for enthusiasts and quite smooth shifting.
Well, my experience with Acera was quite average. It would get stuck quite a few times during upshifts. I took it to service but they couldn't find anything concrete. May be that specific bike had a problem, not sure.
Old 7th August 2020, 14:50   #4671
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Well, my experience with Acera was quite average. It would get stuck quite a few times during upshifts. I took it to service but they couldn't find anything concrete. May be that specific bike had a problem, not sure.
Should be. I have an Altus groupset Cannondale MTB for 8 years now and shifting is still as smooth as it was when I bought it. Of course, I get my bike serviced periodically by quite a reputed service person. And I have ridden an MTB with Acera groupset briefly and it was much smoother than Altus.
kat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 15:29   #4672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Sore point was gear shifting. Acera and Tourney are basic entry level shifters and are not the smoothest. Also, rolling resistance was more as compared to a similar spec Montra. Montra felt far smoother to ride (Blues 1.1 rigid - specific model).
I have Shimano 105 components on my road bike which sits just one level below the Ultrega and is supposed to be much better than the more common Claris, Sora & Tiagra groupsets.

But I find the Acera components on my hybrid much "smoother" and easier to use. I believe it's all a matter of how well the components are maintained as well as our ease / familiarity with the groupset. The general view from most cyclists I know - Acera & Altus are pretty decent groupsets to use for hybrids / MTBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
+1

Also there are a host of cheaper groupsets that are available on the lower end bikes (like a M50 or something) which are pretty sad.

Quote:

Thanks ash.ggn for your speedy and informative reply, what I was wondering is, are hybrid bikes susceptible to puncture and tyre blast as they say on the internet. Can it handle aggressive turns and minor potholes? what was the main sore point during your ownership period? Thanks!
It all depends on the tires - the better the puncture proof-ness, the lesser punctures you have. This is irrespective of the type of bike you ride.

As a generic measurement of tire thickness, MTB >> hybrid >> road bikes but there are a wide set of choices for each type of bike. I upgraded my road bike default tires with Schwalbe Duranos - haven't had a single puncture over 4 years. My current hybrids came with default Kenda tires, got a puncture within a week of riding. Upgraded them with Vittoria tires; it's been ~a month and 600+ kms of urban and offroad riding; zero punctures. Half a decade ago, a similar story with my MTB, upgraded tires ==> minimal punctures.

All tires will handle aggressive turns and minor/major potholes; similar logic as above applies when you start comparing. Trust you get the point.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 7th August 2020 at 15:49.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 17:38   #4673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Pop-up Cycle lane coming-up in Bangalore ORR. Hope this get implemented.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4857291 (Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation)
Got this via whatsapp: http://urbantransport.kar.gov.in/mycr/mycr.html
#MarkYourCycleRoute
Old 7th August 2020, 20:07   #4674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
You are very right. Due to issues with imports I think. But I was lucky to get a Small size. I did a few test rides and found the S was much more comfortable than the M.
Look up the following products:- Ass saver (does exactly what it says ), Cateye BM45 mirror.

Get a decent floorpump. They have reversible sides for both presta and schrader valves.

Optimal pressure is based on tyre width and your weight. With 28c tires, you should start with about 80-85psi. and go from there. Don't bother with tubeless for the time being, carry some extra tubes and a mini-pump. Learn how to change tubes/fix a puncture (an essential skill).

Last edited by aah78 : 9th August 2020 at 07:31. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 23:42   #4675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
Not really, I do plan to use it. But if you are in the market for a used one, https://marketplace.cyclop.in/?category=indoor-trainer has some listings.
An Anecdote I Thought Worth Sharing

After leaving behind the vast, open and sprawling spaces of Rajasthan, I was posted to a place that was the exact opposite. Restricted in space, bound by the hills and shrouded under the 'security' umbrella. This setting didn't exactly fit well into the entire 'cycling' scene that I was accustomed to since the past couple of years.
I was forced to think of options to keep my cycling candle burning. And I came up with options. Home Trainers are meant for exactly these situations. One can ride indoors, come rain or sunshine, within the confines of our own home. I then started scouting for one which would sit comfortably within my budget. To my surprise, I found out that the trainers were in short supply owing to the massive demand generated by the lockdown. Finding a trainer was turning out to be an exercise that could rival the 'needle in the haystack'.
During one of these online search expeditions of mine, I chanced upon an advertisement where a 'Semi Smart Home Trainer' was up for grabs. I immediately noted down the contact details and shot off a prompt message inquiring about the availability of the trainer.
I received an immediate response. And then I called up the person.
He told me that the trainer was available and had been sparingly used and in good condition. He asked me where I was located and on hearing about the location, he asked me whether by any chance, I was from the Army. I answered in the affirmative.
What he said next, left me speechless.
He said that I could get it picked up from Delhi without paying him a single penny. After I came out of the initial shock, I asked him if he was serious. And he said "yes, of course". I told him that it is not correct. And he shot me down. He was pretty much clear that the trainer was mine and I just had to pick it up. I mumbled a Thanks and yet was to come to terms with what had just happened.
Later he messaged me, asking for details of someone in Delhi who could pick it up from his place. I asked a friend to do the honours. And yet another surprise, when the next day itself, he got the Trainer delivered to my friend by his own Car. Subsequently, the friend got the package couriered to me.
I received the package yesterday.
And taped to it, was a note from him.

"I think it’s totally normal.

It’s a small thank you for what you do for us without any expectations.

And a BIG thank you to your family for the support they give you to enable you to do what you’re doing.

There is *zero* reciprocation required or expected.

As I said we will meet up for coffee when you’re in town and we are even. Maybe I’ll have a G&T also. Let’s see.

I am just hoping it connects properly to Zwift and doesn’t disappoint. 🤞🏼"

He specifically asked me to not mention his name.

Thank you Sir. For keeping the faith.
As is a common adage -" Be a citizen worth fighting for ", you have, with your gesture, put the onus, squarely on our shoulders. Salute to your spirit.
Jai Hind.

PS: The Satori Smart is up and running. Connected smoothly to Zwift. Do we have a Team Bhp ride group on zwift?
Hunter3077 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 14:40   #4676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilJ View Post
Can I please get some advice from all the experts here? I am looking to buy a hybrid bike, and am considering whether to buy from Decathlon, or buy an imported bike (Trek Fx1 looks very good- any thoughts?). One question I would lime advice on is servicing. The shops that sell foreign bikes- do they do a good job of servicing them? Do they have the expertise to service them? I'm asking because (I think) at least in Decathlon there will be good service. Please do share any experiences.
Don't buy anything that is "cheap" or has a lot of things in very little money. Buy a solid bike with very less "features" but built to last.
All the cheap bikes you will see with suspension etc are just junk. One or 2 rides and the wheels go out of round and in a few weeks the bike has something or the other broken.
If you only ride in the city go for rigid fork and anything with 21-24 gears is more than enough to get you sorted till your next upgrade in 2-3 years time

Imported cycles are priced higher. But its all down to ridiculous level of import duty. They are better built and offer much better VFM.

Montra and Firefox are some good local brands. For 15-25 range they have decent bikes. You can use them for a couple of year sell them at a discount and upgrade once you get into cycling.
freedom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 18:43   #4677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Don't buy anything that is "cheap" or has a lot of things in very little money. Buy a solid bike with very less "features" but built to last.
All the cheap bikes you will see with suspension etc are just junk. One or 2 rides and the wheels go out of round and in a few weeks the bike has something or the other broken.
If you only ride in the city go for rigid fork and anything with 21-24 gears is more than enough to get you sorted till your next upgrade in 2-3 years time

Imported cycles are priced higher. But its all down to ridiculous level of import duty. They are better built and offer much better VFM.

Montra and Firefox are some good local brands. For 15-25 range they have decent bikes. You can use them for a couple of year sell them at a discount and upgrade once you get into cycling.
Hi experts,

I will start start cycling now because can't play badminton anymore with the pandemic. Haven't done cycling since my Hero Devil 15 years back.

I get about 27k from company to buy things like bicycle and have exhausted about 10k for this year. So I'm planning to spend about 15-20k on a bike. I checked out a few bikes but two caught my eye

1. A Keysto cycle at a store nearby in Aundh which was 26T with Shimano gears etc. Both disc brakes and front suspension.

2. Another one was Kross with the same 3x7 Shimano gearset and costed 11k IIRC. 26T again with both disk brakes and front suspension.

I'm 6 feet tall and lean. Will start cycling in city to begin with. Any recommendations for me? How do the bikes I mentioned look?
Old 10th August 2020, 20:17   #4678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphodb View Post
Any recommendations for me? How do the bikes I mentioned look?
The only decent brand you might get in 15-20k budget is Montra. Check Montra or Track N Trail website for dealers.

Or if you can visit Decathlon in Wagholi, they too should have some hybrid bicycles in this range.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 20:57   #4679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
The only decent brand you might get in 15-20k budget is Montra. Check Montra or Track N Trail website for dealers.

Or if you can visit Decathlon in Wagholi, they too should have some hybrid bicycles in this range.
Thanks. I checked Decathlon Wagholi earlier and it's showing as closed. Should I get hybrid cycle or MTB? A local dealer suggested I get MTB even if I am going to ride in the city. I liked this one in Decathlon catalog -- https://www.decathlon.in/p/8591123/m...-mountain-bike

but if Wagholi outlet of Decathlon is closed, I'm out of options. Which model do you suggest in Montra?
Old 10th August 2020, 21:27   #4680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphodb View Post
Thanks. I checked Decathlon Wagholi earlier and it's showing as closed.
At least Decathlon website shows all 3 stores in Pune as operational. Maybe you could call and check.

The Bicycles thread-img_20200810_212908.jpg

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 10th August 2020 at 21:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks