Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2020, 08:54   #4846
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Hi all! Any comments on usefulness/ need of this tool -

Amazon

Any alternatives? in case it is relevant, the cycle is a Hercules Storm 26T used by my kids.
These tools are lightweight, easy to carry, and useful for emergency repairs when one is riding long distances. They are not durable, and I find them fiddly. Makes more sense to get standard tool sets (screwdriver, Allen keys, socket wrenches), since it is your kids' bike and they aren't going to travel very far from home.
Old 29th September 2020, 08:57   #4847
BANNED

Thanks. Another doubt. Do they pack bearings with grease or any lubricant nowadays?

I come from an age where we had about 5 manufacturers, all producing what is nowadays described as "roadesters". They came in 4 sizes- the cycle, the ¾ th cycle, the half cycle and the ¼ cycle. with the rare ladies variant of each. And then there was the SLR from BSA. My friends told me to give my shiny new SLR for "overhaul" which I didn't and did things myself, little by little. And used Castrol's bearing grease. ;-P

The small cycles (Chinese brands) I got for the kids certainly did not use any lubricant.

I guess even now, even premium brands are assembled at the retailer's premises, and there was no evidence of any kind of petroleum based lubricant being used at the place where I got the current piece.

I need to get one more for my kids - as a regular commute to school). Any first hand experiences to share from Decathlon? Their workshop is literally behind opaque walls and closed doors. old school dealers still do the assembly in open.
Old 29th September 2020, 09:40   #4848
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Another doubt. Do they pack bearings with grease or any lubricant nowadays?
I am not sure what chinese brand you saw without grease in bearings. Wheel bearings of both my bicycles have grease and I overhaul them myself once in a while. I use the white grease, as they call it.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 10:29   #4849
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Wheel bearings ofboth my bicycles have grease and I overhaul them myself once in a while. I use the white grease, as they call it.
Thanks for the quick response. I searched Amazon for "white grease" and what comes up is lithium based multipurpose grease from brands like waxpol or Sheeba. I hope that is ok.

I was speaking of the early 1980s when I mentioned Castrol bearing grease. It was left over from service of one of our vehicles. Bicycle shops in those days sold loose grease by weight.

The Chinese brands I mentioned were used by my kids when they were below 8. That is around 2012 - '14. It is not relevant now.
Old 29th September 2020, 11:01   #4850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. I searched Amazon for "white grease" and what comes up is lithium based multipurpose grease from brands like waxpol or Sheeba. I hope that is ok.

I was speaking of the early 1980s when I mentioned Castrol bearing grease. It was left over from service of one of our vehicles. Bicycle shops in those days sold loose grease by weight.

The Chinese brands I mentioned were used by my kids when they were below 8. That is around 2012 - '14. It is not relevant now.
Any grease is good buddy. Including the brownish colored one out of big tubs.

The fact is that most cycles are mass produced from components that have been stocked for varying lengths of time.

Including hub bearings.

That means it's very likely that a "2020" cycle comes with hub bearings that were assembled with fresh grease in 2016 (hypothetically).

It's a very common complaint, even in Decathlon bikes, of hubs being near dry.

It's always a good idea for a new bike to check the bearings and clean and pack with grease (often needed).

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 15:14   #4851
Senior - BHPian

After contemplating on this for nearly a month, finally pulled the trigger

The Bicycles thread-8c1cb7870981461da1e68feda3cf2e50.jpeg

Wahoo kickr core indoor trainer
Mi10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 16:45   #4852
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all! Any comments on usefulness/ need of this tool -

Amazon

Any alternatives? in case it is relevant, the cycle is a Hercules Storm 26T used by my kids.
This does not have many Hex Alan keys. (correction : Barring one)
Most bicycles need these keys not a regular screw driver.
Old 29th September 2020, 17:18   #4853
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
After contemplating on this for nearly a month, finally pulled the trigger

Great indoor trainer it is. Bhpian Graaja has one. Enjoy a lot of indoor riding. Can you share me a link to the mat that you have? I recently got a Minoura Kagura DD trainer and the trainer is too wide to fit in a normal yoga mat. This one seems wide and long enough for the trainer with cycle.
kat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 17:46   #4854
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Congratulations on the new trainer. Wishing you thousands of hours of quality training. This is a fantastic trainer. Have been using it for a couple of years.

Which software training platform are you planning to use with this trainer?
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 21:00   #4855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations on the new trainer. Wishing you thousands of hours of quality training. This is a fantastic trainer. Have been using it for a couple of years.

Which software training platform are you planning to use with this trainer?
Thank you! I was actually contemplating to pick up a nice Carbon bike with Ultegra groupset, but then better sense prevailed and opted for smart trainer instead.

I use Training Peaks.

Been using TP for running for last 2 years. Took up cycling full fledged from this July only .

Triathlon is my distant dream since I am a complete 0 in swim. So trying to build the other two to whatever extent I can so that I can start learning swimming whenever this covid eases considerably!
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 21:02   #4856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Great indoor trainer it is. Bhpian Graaja has one. Enjoy a lot of indoor riding. Can you share me a link to the mat that you have? I recently got a Minoura Kagura DD trainer and the trainer is too wide to fit in a normal yoga mat. This one seems wide and long enough for the trainer with cycle.
Thanks, actually it’s a Yoga mat someone gifted me (no idea from where) it’s quite thick! Will try to find the brand
Old 29th September 2020, 21:07   #4857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is totally worth to invest in a cadence sensor. (if you haven't already)
Thanks.
Any recommendations for cadence sensor?
Old 29th September 2020, 21:16   #4858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Thanks.
i use Wahoo, and lot of my friends use Garmin. Heard Stages is also good.

Any of these would be good - choose based on availability
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 22:29   #4859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Thanks.
There is a chinese brand by the name of Magene which had very nice reviews online so I ordered one through Aliexpress. Original plan was to order Garmin sensors from US through a friend. For the time being I am gonna try this one by Magene which only cost me $18 shipped from Aliexpress and should be delivered in 2-3 days.
rdst_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 22:36   #4860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
There is a chinese brand by the name of Magene which had very nice reviews online so I ordered one through Aliexpress. Original plan was to order Garmin sensors from US through a friend. For the time being I am gonna try this one by Magene which only cost me $18 shipped from Aliexpress and should be delivered in 2-3 days.
+1 for Magene, have been using them for a year without issue.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed