Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2020, 04:45   #4861
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
I use Training Peaks.
Triathlon is my distant dream since I am a complete 0 in swim. So trying to build the other two to whatever extent I can so that I can start learning swimming whenever this covid eases considerably!
Training Peaks is a good platform to track the workouts. Their measure of Fatigue/Fitness/Form in the paid version is very useful while training for long endurance events. I had used these while training for my Triathlon events.

When I meant software platform, I meant for the trainer - like Zwift, Rouvy, Trainerroad etc., that let you do structured workouts and control the trainer based on the workout and gradient of the roads you ride.

Good to know that you aspire to be a triathlete. Swimming is more of a mental block than a physically tough workout. I was a dog-paddle type swimmer since childhood. But learnt proper swimming only a few years back. Took just 8 months to start training and do the first 2.5km open water swim. I am sure you will be able to learn swimming and start participating in Triathlons in no time. Wishing you all the best!
graaja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 17:10   #4862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
When I meant software platform, I meant for the trainer - like Zwift, Rouvy, Trainerroad etc., that let you do structured workouts and control the trainer based on the workout and gradient of the roads you ride.
Ah, I checked them out, but l will probably invest in a Wahoo Roam / Bolt Cyclocomputer to aid the structured workouts that come from TP. My coach isn't really convinced about using them for me since I am pretty much new to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Good to know that you aspire to be a triathlete. Swimming is more of a mental block than a physically tough workout. I was a dog-paddle type swimmer since childhood. But learnt proper swimming only a few years back. Took just 8 months to start training and do the first 2.5km open water swim. I am sure you will be able to learn swimming and start participating in Triathlons in no time. Wishing you all the best!
Good to know this about swimming and Thank you for the wishes sir!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st October 2020 at 09:46. Reason: Please capitalise your 'i's. Thanks.
Mi10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 23:10   #4863
BHPian

After a lot of deliberations, I finally took the plunge and went for the 2021 Trek Dual Sport 3(Lithium Grey), which retails at INR 51,799/-. For size reference, I am 5'5" and weigh 57 kilos. And I am 38 years old, turning 39 this month.

The Bicycles thread-dsc02553.jpg
The Bicycles thread-dsc02559.jpg

Last edited by docmoya2007 : 1st October 2020 at 23:18.
docmoya2007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:19   #4864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmoya2007 View Post
After a lot of deliberations, I finally took the plunge and went for the 2021 Trek Dual Sport 3(Lithium Grey), which retails at INR 51,799/-.
Cool, first of all congrats on your bike.
Since you are in Mizoram I assume you will be doing a lot of inclines. How are the lower gears faring here ? and how is the slotting ?

Btw did you own another bike earlier ?if so would be good if you can put an update on how the DS-3 feels in comparison?

Not that it matters, but looks like you picked the ladies model.

btw dude from the vid min 20:00 your downhill zoom looks quite risky going that that speed in a road that is cluttered with parked vehicles on either side. You never know when some nut case or cow may pop out from behind some vehicle.

Stay safe and enjoy your rides

Last edited by Fillmore : 2nd October 2020 at 09:22. Reason: missed some prev updates
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:57   #4865
BHPian

Thanks for the kind words.

I too thought I bought the women's version and was a bit disappointed on seeing the bent top tube. But the size S and XS comes with bent top tube, as mentioned in the website.

The Bicycles thread-img20200920wa0005.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img20200920wa0006.jpg

I have not owned any geared cycle earlier. This is my first one.

The gear slots nice, but I am still getting the hang of it as I am not used to geared cycles. My favourite ratio for not so steep inclined uphill climb is about 1:6- gear 1 in the front, gear 6 in the rear. And for the same not so steep downhill descent 2:8/9 as mentioned in the attached video.
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:21   #4866
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
My favourite ratio for not so steep inclined uphill climb is about 1:6- gear 1 in the front, gear 6 in the rear. And for the same not so steep downhill descent 2:8/9 as mentioned in the attached video.
1:6 may lead to chain and other component wear as the chain between cogs would be more crossed in nature. Suggest max 1:5.
Since you are newbie, stick to 2:4,2:5,2:6 till you get used yo dynamics and can maintain consistant cadence. If the steep is too much, then get down and push.
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 14:58   #4867
Senior - BHPian

An amateur cyclist's review of the Frog - Snow Leopard 29T.

Here's a Team Bhp style review of my new bicycle

The Frog Snow Leopard 29T has been launched at a price of 23,199/- INR.
https://www.frogcycles.in/snow-leopard-29t

What I liked?
  • Deceptively fast for a MTB, picks up speed in no time
  • Good quality components used in the overall construction of the bicycle
  • Very comfortable ride quality, soaks up bumps quite effortlessly
  • All round Mechanical Disc Brakes - a nice to have feature
  • Good after sales service and responsive customer care.

What I feel could have been improved?
  • Being the flagship product, it should have had at-least the Shimano Altus or the Acera derailleurs
  • Weld marks could have been masked better on the frame
  • Only two free services offered - first one after 1 month and second one after 3 months
  • Too many stickers and decals, could have been somewhat less.

Prologue:
Frog Cycles is an Indian cycle manufacturer. I had started seeing these cycles in Pune, but I wasn't sure of how their bicycles would be. End of September, on a whim, I went to their website and checked out what they had on offer. This cycle, which was displayed on their website; clicked somewhere in my mind and I visited Surendar Cycle Store, which is hardly a few hundred metres from my home. Turns out they had this very cycle available. One short test ride later and I knew I wanted this thing. I paid up on the spot and purchased it right away. All this happened in a span of 3-4 hours on a Sunday afternoon.

Coming to the cycle - here are my observations.

Frame: The frame is an aluminum alloy frame (they call it Aluminum Alloy 6061). This may be one of the lighter MTB's weighing in at 16kgs(I honestly have zilch idea of how much these bicycles should weigh). This particular model is available in both 27.5T and 29T wheel sizes. I chose the 29T one because I felt more comfortable here with the larger wheels. Also, the cycle has a 80mm travel front suspension with a lock feature (I believe that allows you to restrict the suspension travel, though I never thought of asking this point). The frame height is 18.5" for this particular model. Overall fit and finish is acceptable at this price point. What I feel though is that they could have masked the weld marks better, considering the fact, that the frame bars are of a good quality alloy.

The Bicycles thread-frontview.jpg

The Bicycles thread-rearview.jpg

The Bicycles thread-sideviewwithkickstand.jpg

The Bicycles thread-framefitandfinish.jpg

The Bicycles thread-weldmarks.jpg

The Bicycles thread-handlebar.jpg

The Bicycles thread-bottleholder.jpg

The Bicycles thread-stickers.jpg

Ride Quality: This is one of the strong points of this bicycle. A very comfortable MTB - the front suspension and the larger wheels help to mask the regular potholes and bumps without any fuss. I found this bicycle very comfortable to ride. No cause for complaints here. I have used it on tar, concrete, paver blocks, broken roads and the ride quality has been stellar. There is no discomfort or back pain or the painful butt bones after a ride. I haven't used it on any proper trail, so I can't comment on that aspect. The first thing which I did after 2-3 rides was get rid of the gel seat cover. That improved the comfort level multifold.

The Bicycles thread-frontsuspensionwithlockfeature.jpg

Brakes, Tires, Rims: Braking duty is handled by Mechanical Disc Brakes at both front and rear. These are alloy disc brakes and help to shed the speed fast. While purchasing, I never had disc brakes in my mind; this is an added bonus for me with the purchase. Overall braking performance is satisfactory and will help you to stop the bicycle in no time. Also, the stopping is fuss free and no drama is encountered.
Tires are wider at 2.2" and diameter is 29inches. The larger tire size has an advantage that I can cover more distance as comparted to bicycles with a smaller wheel diameter. The thicker tires help to absorb bumps effectively, but entail some more effort while pedaling. Rims are dual width rust free alloy.

The Bicycles thread-frontdiskbrakeandqrlever.jpg

The Bicycles thread-reardiskbrake.jpg

Gears: The cycle uses Shimano Tourney FD/RD-TY500 derailleurs which I have found satisfactory to use. My only grouse about the bike is in this side - being their flagship product, they should have provided at-least the Shimano Altus or Acera derailleurs on this model. Overall it has been a satisfactory experience with shifting gears. I never really got a chance to use the extreme ends [ Front(1)/Rear(1,2,3) or Front[3]/Rear(7) ] since Pune has pretty flat roads. After a lot of permutation and combination, I found that [ Front(2/3)/Rear(4,5,6) ] combinations work the best and will get you anywhere around without much fuss.

The Bicycles thread-frontshifter.jpg

The Bicycles thread-frontderailleurandcrank.jpg

The Bicycles thread-rearshifter.jpg

The Bicycles thread-rearderailleur.jpg

My Take, finally: This is a good effort by an Indian bicycle manufacturer and they have a very good product at an extremely competent price. I am satisfied with the overall purchase and I have started enjoying cycling now. There are some caveats that you need to remember -
  1. This is an MTB, not a Hybrid.
  2. It is a VFM product at 23k INR - I would suggest start with this bicycle and then expand your Horizons.
  3. Don't compare with Trek/Giant/Merida/Specialized/Bianchi etc. etc. - those are way too superior. Obviously, most of us know this already, but just putting it here!

Other small points and some trivia:
  • Whenever you go out to buy, try out the cycle first. Ask them to adjust the seat to the correct height before your test ride, else you will get all your calculations and thus your perceptions about the cycle wrong.
  • Gel seat covers are... maybe not to my liking. I chucked mine off in the corner after hardly 2-3 rides.
  • Indian bicycle manufacturers have matured a lot. There are N number of manufacturers producing N^N number of models - each one caters to its own clientele. There are countless options too - if you are out on a shopping spree after many years, you will be zapped with the available cycles.
  • Schnell seems to be one of the most popular brands out there - even though they don't even have a website. Other popular manufactures are Firefox, Fantom, Hercules, Hero, Trinx, Kross, Goldie, OMO. You take a name and it is there.
  • I had done some prior study - even though I had a Hybrid in my mind, I liked this bicycle. I can't tell why, but sometimes you get the feeling instantly - some things are just made for you.
  • In the shop, there was a beautiful blue coloured Giant Roam 3 Disc [Link] - and I was smitten by it. I couldn't get my eyes off the blue colour. But with a sticker price of 49k INR, my wife stared squarely in my eyes and said that thing is NOT coming into the house! Perceptions matter!!

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 2nd October 2020 at 15:04. Reason: Typos
W.A.G.7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 15:21   #4868
Senior - BHPian

The other small points - which apply in general to what I have discovered in the last one month -
  • A helmet is a mandatory thing - don't even think of skimping on this. This is required on our Indian roads
  • Barring a few, most of the Indian drivers and motorbike riders have scant regard for cyclists. Many will just bully you on the road, lots of egos.
  • Get a reflective jacket from Decathlon [Link]. People will laugh in your face and tell you that you look like a construction worker, but trust me; this can be a life saver. Plus it's cheap at 499/- and that's a small price to pay for your own safety.
  • Buy a lock. Again, I found a good one on Decathlon [Link]
  • Just go out there and ride. You really don't need a fancy or a costly bicycle to enjoy riding If your better half joins you - all the more better.
    P.S: Ignore the gel covers - they were removed after this ride.
    The Bicycles thread-both.jpg
    The Bicycles thread-bothcycles2.jpg
  • Contrary to what most people think, good quality triple layer cotton masks will not cause breathlessness at all. I never take mine off while cycling and not even once have I felt any discomfort.
  • There are beautiful places out there in your city itself - which you normally won't see/pay attention while driving. Go out and explore!
    The Bicycles thread-universityroadcyclingtrack.jpg
    The Bicycles thread-universityroadcyclingtrack2.jpg
W.A.G.7 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 09:03   #4869

Thanks for this. I realised that I can move the seat forward so that should solve the problem. I tried adjusting the seat myself, but I don’t have the proper tools. I plan to take the bike to decathlon tomorrow ( don’t want to go there on the weekend) to get it done.
Old 4th October 2020, 11:31   #4870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilJ View Post
I tried adjusting the seat myself, but I don’t have the proper tools.
Most likely the screw will take 5 mm Allen key which would cost around 30 to 50 rupees in any local bicycle spares shop. You can save time/fuel to visit Decathlon.
Old 4th October 2020, 13:07   #4871
BHPian

Have a query.
I currently have an MTB. (wish I had gone in for a hybrid but too late for it now..).
I want to know if I can change my tyres to thinner typical Hybrid type tyres. I checked with a local cycle shop and was told that since my wheel size is 26" no Hybrid or thinner profile tyres come in that size.

Here is a pic of my tyre size, which says
53-559 (26x1.95) - appears to be basd on the ETRTO scale
From this I understand that the current tyre width is 53mm and diameter is 559mm
The Bicycles thread-tyre1.jpg

My question is if I have to find a lesser width Road/Hybrid type tyre, what specification should I look for that would match my current rim size ?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Hope the cycle shop guy was wrong in the sense that no thinner profile tyres would come in my size.

The prime objective is to see if I can find a set of tyres that offers lesser resistance on the road. Since my typical route would comprise of 90% roads, 10% bad roads / potholes.

Last edited by Fillmore : 4th October 2020 at 13:10.
Old 4th October 2020, 13:16   #4872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Have a query.
I currently have an MTB....
...I want to know if I can change my tyres to thinner typical Hybrid type tyres. I checked with a local cycle shop and was told that since my wheel size is 26" no Hybrid or thinner profile tyres come in that size...
Used these on my 2012 Montra Rock: https://www.rei.com/product/804426/g...e-tire-26-x-16

EDIT: Ask the closest Track&Trail guys for help in sourcing 26" hybrid tires. They mount on straight onto MTB rims.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th October 2020 at 19:07. Reason: Trimmed quote
FINTAIL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 18:17   #4873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
1:6 may lead to chain and other component wear as the chain between cogs would be more crossed in nature. Suggest max 1:5.
Since you are newbie, stick to 2:4,2:5,2:6 till you get used yo dynamics and can maintain consistant cadence. If the steep is too much, then get down and push.
I did try some new gear combinations today in the same route uphill I did last Sunday. 2:4 seems to be working and as comfortable as the 1:6 I previously used comfortably(wrongly) last Sunday. Thanks again, for the tip.

And yes, I got myself a few tools and accessories.
The Bicycles thread-img_20201003_181501.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20201003_191628.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20201004_101351.jpg

1 Dual type pressure gauge- for both Schrader and Presta type of valves- INR 1299
2 Bicycle bell- Compass Combo- INR 340
3 Inner tube puncture repair kit- INR 330
Old 4th October 2020, 18:54   #4874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I want to know if I can change my tyres to thinner typical Hybrid type tyres.
Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Hope the cycle shop guy was wrong in the sense that no thinner profile tyres would come in my size.
Hybrid (700c) tires - not possible to fit on your MTB. But thinner slick 26' tires - definitely yes.

I have done that in the past - put Maxxis Detonator slicks (26X1.25 I think) on my mtb - made a lot of difference in moving from ~20kms to ~50 km rides.

The below option is a decent choice available from Bumsonthesaddle, haven't tried this one but I have Vittoria hybrid tires on my bike and they have been doing good for the ~1500 kms done so far. Give it a try if you don't find anything better locally. The few reviews on that seem to be on the same lines of what you wanted.

https://bumsonthesaddle.com/collecti...et-runner-tyre

Quote:
Bicycle bell- Compass Combo- INR 340
Really curious to know in what scenario will the compass come to be of use. Btw that's a great bike - good choice! I have ridden the Trek FX series quite a bit - loved those hybrids. This seems to be a nice series. As for the bent top tube, I'd not put any worry to it - should be fine!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 4th October 2020 at 18:59.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 19:22   #4875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Hybrid (700c) tires - not possible to fit on your MTB. But thinner slick 26' tires - definitely yes.

https://bumsonthesaddle.com/collecti...et-runner-tyre
Thanks Ninjatalli will check it out.

I also found this one from Decathlon. Yet to confirm if the size will fit.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8344715/b...-trekking-tyre

But I like the one you suggested better, so more inclined to it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks