Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2020, 19:53   #4876
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Finally after years of no regular exercises, started cycling again. Am not that informative about cycles and also due to shortage of cycles in my native had to settle for the one I found after visiting multiple shops. Been 2 weeks now and I am proud to say that I have covered almost 100km in my new set of wheels. For a noob like me, i consider it to be a milestone.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_20201004_100353_049.jpg  

Kottayamkaran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 19:54   #4877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Really curious to know in what scenario will the compass come to be of use.
Not much use in this age of google maps and Strava apps. As you may have noticed already, they(tools and accessories bought) are cheap and do the job(hopefully). That's what all matters.
Old 5th October 2020, 08:41   #4878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post

My question is if I have to find a lesser width Road/Hybrid type tyre, what specification should I look for that would match my current rim size ?
I have been using 26x1.95 and now 26x1.75 local Ralsons and GRLs on my Hercules Top Gear MTB for years now.

Depends on the inner width of your rims (measured as the distance between the two edges where the bead if the tyre hooks up).

Gordon Brown and other sites give you a proper range of sizes that can safely fit on each rim ID. Choose from within that.

Fir mine as I recall, 26x1.5 was the thinnest I could go down to. Your rims seem to be more deep and the aero profile type ... Could probably go thinner.

However, do remember that the front suspension is designed to take hits with a big air cushion. Even 1.95 is thinner than normal. The normal MTB style knobby tyres are 2.25.

So don't go crashing over and into stuff MTB style with the thinner tyres or you will end up damaging your rims and breaking spokes.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 10:39   #4879
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kottayamkaran View Post
. . . had to settle for the one I found after visiting multiple shops.
Lol to this. The retailers here are simply insensitive and expect people to pay (preferably in cash) and take away whatever they keep in stock. "That is not what I want" is met with strange looks - as if you have descended from the heaven.

Which brings me to a question I wanted to ask - what is experience of people here buying cycles online? Some sites list "semi assembled" which is really incomplete info. And I wont be happy putting in brake and gear levers on my own. Saw an "unboxing" video of a Stryder bike on YouTube and it does take me back to the good old nostalgic days of my BSA - SLR.

That said, which model and brand is that? Looks good in that shade. And where in Kottayam is it? There used to be a store near a North Indian Restaurant inside Kottayam Market and they had a sister con"ern with similar name in Ettumanoor. Do they exist now?
Old 5th October 2020, 13:56   #4880
Senior - BHPian

Finally, skies still overcast and threatening rain, but dry for the most part, my Caad got her fist dig at road duty over the ACT yesterday after the lockdown started ...

The Bicycles thread-img_20201004_082445.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20201004_082435.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20201004_110820.jpg

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 21:19   #4881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I am planning to upgrade tyres for my Montra Rock 1.0 - it has 26* 2.1 block type MTB tyres i am planning to visit Cycle Republik in Ravet.
And i did get them at Cycle republik - Continental Ride City - 600rs each size is 26*1.75.

However they seem to have fitted incorrectly as far as rotation direction is concerned,will get that corrected soon.
Happy with them, they look good and i can ride in higher gears now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Thanks Ninjatalli will check it out.

But I like the one you suggested better, so more inclined to it.
Apparently you need to check what is available locally, since what we desire we may not get due to Covid situation.
Try Continental cycle tyres they seem to be reasonably priced.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 15:05   #4882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I'll take a slightly contrarian stand here and tell you that the Triban 100 is a brilliant bike and you would be hard pressed to buy a better bike overall in India today at sub 20k.

Cheers, Doc
Following on largely from this post, I managed to order the Triban 100 Flat Bar Road Bike online from Decathlon. I am 175 cms in height and chose the Medium. It immediately went out of stock and still shows as such.

This just arrived today and here’s the pic immediately after I fixed the pedals, set the handle etc.

Am an absolute noob when it comes to cycling and this is my first geared bike. Checked out Firefox Voya, Rapide and Frog Trooper before picking this

The tyres seemed different from what I noticed on the website pics, came across a forum post where it was mentioned decathlon has upgraded the tyres following feedback

Thanks for your posts and the passion therein Doc!!

Wish me luck all
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-7214ea6f353441f3816a5256b10d7fc2.jpeg  

DaiusPitar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 15:25   #4883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post

Thanks for your posts and the passion therein Doc!!

Wish me luck all
Congrats and the best of luck with your new bike!

The new versions have quick release on the rear, cassette on a free body hib in place of a thread on freewheel, different gearing (taller), and road tyres (slicks) in place of gravel tyres. And no black on silver decals.

Everything else remains unchanged.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 18:03   #4884
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
This just arrived today and here’s the pic immediately after I fixed the pedals, set the handle etc.
Wish me luck all
Hi. It looks like you are definitely in luck and wishing you a the more happy times ahead.

What kind of assembling is involved? Is the front tyre fitted? (Ok, it does have a quick release, but I have had nightmares fiddling with mine - used to need 3 or 4 spanners, that was 3 and ½ decade back.

What about the brake cables at the caliper end and both brakes and gears on the handle?

The Triban seems ri be a road bike, why did you expect gravel tyres on it?

On an unrelated note, what is the benefit of the "cotterless BB"? I suppose this means the axle / shaft (sorry, not sure of the terminoliogy) does not use a cotter pin to hold the pedal.
Old 11th October 2020, 21:17   #4885
BHPian

I am about to complete 3 months of cycling soon. Been very regular, been riding with some enthusiastic people and one really good group. Hustling my big heavy MTB along. It's been great!!! Also, enjoying trail rides much more than I had imagined. Just did my longest ride thus far today (about 80km). Hoping to do a 100k very very soon. Started running in September as well on the off days and ran my first 10km a couple of weeks ago. This is the fittest that I have ever been!! Cycling is a very infectious endurance activity!!!

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20201011210936.jpg
promit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 21:56   #4886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I am about to complete 3 months of cycling soon. Been very regular, been riding with some enthusiastic people and one really good group. Hustling my big heavy MTB along. It's been great!!! Also, enjoying trail rides much more than I had imagined. Just did my longest ride thus far today (about 80km). Hoping to do a 100k very very soon. Started running in September as well on the off days and ran my first 10km a couple of weeks ago. This is the fittest that I have ever been!! Cycling is a very infectious endurance activity!!!

Attachment 2066356
Great going Promit. Your Strava stats are super, almost 200 watts. I also mix up my running and riding in the ratio of 1:4 about 100 to 125 kms running a month. And I find these activities are complimentary to each other. And Yes you used the right word ...Infectious.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 23:42   #4887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Hi. It looks like you are definitely in luck and wishing you a the more happy times ahead.

What kind of assembling is involved?

The Triban seems ri be a road bike, why did you expect gravel tyres on it?

On an unrelated note, what is the benefit of the "cotterless BB"? I suppose this means the axle / shaft (sorry, not sure of the terminoliogy) does not use a cotter pin to hold the pedal.
Thanks

Assembly was quick, only handle, seat and pedals!

While the tyre size remains the same, Decathlon has changed the tire from light gravel to road with some puncture protection captioned on it. The website was not updated as of yesterday and stated light gravel when I ordered this

Sorry, I will have to pass the last one
Old 12th October 2020, 10:45   #4888

thank you! even I have ordered this cycle and expecting this soon. Same height, same size :-). Can you please share some more pics and also your initial impressions, is it comfortable?
Old 12th October 2020, 16:46   #4889
Senior - BHPian

Nice breakfast omelettes and chai ride with the team after ages last Saturday ...

The Bicycles thread-img20201010wa0005.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20201010_084415.jpg

This was supposed to be a slow paced leg opener for the ITT scheduled for early next morning but the thunder showers later that day and all night put paid to that.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 12:06   #4890
BHPian

I was pondering on getting a cycle ever since I did a few rides with my friends in Jan this year. But then the Pandemic happened and the subsequent work from home scenes. WFH meant, hardly any movement whatsoever and to beat that routine, I started running in the morning and also rekindled my interest in cycling.

Got myself a Riverside 120 from Decathlon last week. Since none of the stores here had one in stock, had to order online. Funnily though, if you order online and pick it up from the store, the shipping is free. But if you wanted it delivered at your door, it’s another 1200/-.

The Bicycles thread-4.jpg

Already did a couple of rides and overall, the ride seems to be good. The riding posture is also much relaxed than the other hybrids I have ridden earlier. Did a 60KM ride on the weekend and another 40KM ride today.

The Bicycles thread-2e.jpg
I'm hoping to ride at least a couple of times a week. Lets see how it goes.

Until then, ride safe everyone!
R-Six

Last edited by R-Six : 13th October 2020 at 12:07.
R-Six is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks