Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2021, 21:15   #5281
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Can you all give your opinion on this bike -> https://szel-sports.com/kogin%2C-hybrid-bicycle

This is created by my local bike shop here, they are a bunch of enthusiastic guys. I bought my Trek 3700 from them about 7 years ago. ...
If not kogin, what else is a good bicycle from these guys. I am looking for a bike for my wife who is 165cms tall.
My suggestion is, stay away and buy from a reputed brand. Some level of Engineering and testing is needed for safety, longevity and that is why bicycle companies are charging quite a lot of money. I am not sure about buying bikes made by some enthusiasts.

Even their official photos on their website leaves a lot to be desired.

I just checked this:
https://szel-sports.com/einz-fixie-bull-horn

Scratch marks and poor finishing. Looks very crude.

The Bicycles thread-photo1.png

Poorly aligned brakes. Although it can be corrected. Why would you want to take risk ?

Name:  Photo2.PNG
Views: 1239
Size:  492.7 KB
Old 6th February 2021, 07:42   #5282
BANNED

Quote:
This is created by my local bike shop here, they are a bunch of enthusiastic guys.

I found their kogin model there, and it seemed to tick all the boxes I wanted. 'NO shocks & V brakes' , unisex hybrid frame. However, I am not so sure about the gearset they are using.

If not kogin, what else is a good bicycle from these guys. I am looking for a bike for my wife who is 165cms tall.
I pinched myself real hard to check what happened. Then I realised that I did not post this. :-D. Same here except that it Grafit and Kogin. And grafit is what is in stock. They actually organise BRMs and one of them is a endurance rider. Some are ex racer.

Kogin is priced above grafit, but kogin uses lesser components.

Interestingly, a youtube video put out by them helped me understand that it is not just "Altus" or "tourney" the numbers matter too.

Have you gone there and checked out the bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
My suggestion is, stay away and buy from a reputed brand. Some level of Engineering and testing is needed for safety, longevity and that is why bicycle companies are charging quite a lot of money. I am not sure about buying bikes made by some enthusiasts.
Very valid points. When it comes to branding and image building, they are real green behind the ears. But they sold two container loads of bikes in 45 days.
Old 6th February 2021, 16:00   #5283
BANNED

Quote:
I am looking for a bike for my wife who is 165cms tall.
Allow me to elaborate. I'm in a similar quandary.

1. If you are keen on SZEL get in touch with them. They do custom builds. I did ask them by message about options for my daughter. They replied that a custom build using 18in unisex frame is possible. Kogin / Grafit is an alternative. Kogin, the more expensive one uses Tourney components. While grafit has Altus components. They also have MTBs under the "TIAL" #whatever. And a full suspension bike. I'm unconvinced that 18 in frame is right for my daughter, who is 158 cm. :-) (lol - see below)

The other option I had was to get a new bike for my son and his Riverside 100 will be used by my daughter. She is comfortable with this bike, though it is size M. Neither wants the Hercules unisex MTB. And fight for the Riverside.

2. Scott sub cross 50 women at ₹ 35 or 36k was considered by me. The dealer is on Kadavanthra side of the Kaloor Kadavanthara bridge at the corner towards KSRTC stand. I dont think it is in stock. But they do seem to get models on pre booking. Find the details on Scott-sports.com. the Indian site, scott.sportsnetwork.com takes down listings once things go out of stock. They also deal in other brands too. ("The Gear Junction").

He is also the dealer for Bergamont. Seems he alone has bookings @ more than 30% of what is available pan India. And I'll have to wait till March.

Other brands which seem to be available are unheard of - at least, by me. Java, ARK, Bosky, bla bla...
Old 6th February 2021, 19:46   #5284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Kogin is priced above grafit, but kogin uses lesser components.
I got into email conversation with them and Grafit is almost double the price of Kogin since it has some expensive components.

Prices as I received :
Kogin 700c - 22k
Grafit hybrid - 42k
Old 6th February 2021, 21:27   #5285
Senior - BHPian

I was lucky enough to do a ride to a dam for the third consecutive week, today it was Pavana dam. 77 kms round trip from my home. Fortunately one of my cycling group friends accompanied me today and we had an awesome ride. Except 2-3 bad patches of few hundred meters the road was good throughout. We took the route Nigdi-Dehuroad-Somatane Phata-Bebadohal-Kadadhe-Kale Colony-Pavana dam and same route return. Sharing some pics from the ride, enjoy

The Bicycles thread-strava-ride-pavan-dam-06feb2021.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210206_072421878_hdr.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210206_072435116_hdr.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210206_072442820_hdr.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210206_072540949.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210206_083125074.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210206_083827961.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210206_083854255.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210206_084154697.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210206_091155969.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210206_093028368_hdr.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210206_093033623.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210206_093038815.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20210206_093042951_hdr.jpg

While returning we saw innumerous plant nurseries near Somatane Phata. The flowers were simply stunning with vivid colors. Thanks to the below pics taken by my friend, we could capture the magical colors in our mobile phones.

The Bicycles thread-nursery1.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-nursery2.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-nursery3.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-nursery4.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-nursery5.jpeg
AutoIndian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 21:28   #5286
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Prices as I received :
Kogin 700c - 22k
Grafit hybrid - 42k
I checked FB page. Had taken screen shots few days back. Those are the last 2. The first is Grafit description as of today. 2nd is Kogin specification as of today.

I forgot which is which when for pics 3 and 4. Prices dont tally too. I feel it will be 15 - 25% lower when you meet them in person. I may be wrong too.
The Bicycles thread-1612626204605.jpg

Above - grafit description from FB.
The Bicycles thread-1612626242028.jpg

KOGIN - the expensive one from FB just now.

Screen shots from same page 2 - 3 days back. I forget which is Grafit, which is Kogin.
The Bicycles thread-1612626264166.jpgThe Bicycles thread-1612626279550.jpg

Kogin, BTW is some kind of Japanese hand embroidery.

Official Video for Grafit:-

For Kogin:-
Old 7th February 2021, 07:58   #5287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I checked FB page. Had taken screen shots few days back. Those are the last 2. The first is Grafit description as of today. 2nd is Kogin specification as of today.

I forgot which is which when for pics 3 and 4. Prices dont tally too. I feel it will be 15 - 25% lower when you meet them in person. I may be wrong too.
Yes kind of confusing. I got the same YT links and Grafit seems to be a segment above Kogin. Don't know. Below is the email I received

Quote:
Thanks for contacting us through our website.We have hybrid bikes in medium size readily available.
The hybrid bicycles available with us are SZEL Kogin 700C and SZEL Grafit
SZEL Kogin 700 C price is Rs22000/-
SZEL Grafit hybrid price is Rs42000/-
.We can ship the bikes to Maharashtra Via Safexpress
Please check our Youtube Videos for Specifications

Szel Kogin 700C
https://Youtu.be/YIRskOsudaE

Szel Grfit
https://Youtu.be/xH1k3K_fb3g
Regards,
I really liked the Grafit but is way above my budget (first timer) if above prices are correct.
Old 7th February 2021, 15:56   #5288
BHPian

Fellow riders,

I need some advice. Had gone to Temghar dam (near Pune) over the weekend. My first ever experience tackling the ghat sections. And to be honest, the climb was brutal. I was not even able to climb 1/4th of the section and had to walk the entire ascent.

Any ideas how I need to practice to handle the ghats sections better?

Points to consider:
  • Started cycling from 2021
  • Have done couple of 50+ kms (non-ghat section) rides with much ease
  • Currently using a basic non-geared Raleigh cycle (still waiting for the hybrid stocks to arrive)
Jedi.Knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 17:10   #5289
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi.Knight View Post
[*]Currently using a basic non-geared Raleigh cycle (still waiting for the hybrid stocks to arrive)
Problem is in bold. And the latter part the quoted test is the solution.

Raleigh? Is that made in Ludhiana? Or is it the Indian entity of the Raleigh found in UK and sometimes found in GCN's YouTube? That brand shares server spaces with "Suncross" brand. Both these brands have some low spec low cost but expensive than old school indian brands type bikes.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 19:17   #5290
BHPian

Quote:
Fellow riders,
[*]Currently using a basic non-geared Raleigh cycle (still waiting for the hybrid stocks to arrive)[/list]
As already mentioned by backseatdriver, non geared bicycle is the issue. The gears are there to help you keep yourself in the optimum pedaling range (cadence) which means faster on slopes and slower but less strenuous on the climbs.

Get yourself a geared bike from a reputed manufacturer and you should be able to handle the climbs fairly well.
shipnil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 19:41   #5291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was not even able to climb 1/4th of the section and had to walk the entire ascent.

Don't sweat it. There isn't a rider anywhere, including on Pro tour, who at some time hasn't had to get off and walk.

You'll find that on the really steep climbs, even walking up pushing the bike is a solid workout on the calves and butt.

And you will be as fast as if you were struggling in the lowest gear i.e. 5-6 kph. Lol

Just enjoy your rides and climb more. The more you climb the easier it gets.

Get a geated bike when you can. Bombay Poona races have been held for decades with a category for our Indian roadsters (black doodhwala bike). Single gear. You should see the speeds those guys hit.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 7th February 2021 at 19:47.
ebonho is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 20:55   #5292
BHPian

Thanks for all the inputs. I kind of knew that the bike would be the main cause. But as the Doc pointed out, I will keep practicing the climbs.

I have pre-booked the Trek FX 1 Disc and the earliest I am getting it is around mid-March. Rest of the hybrid bikes (Trek FX 2, 3, Giant Escape, Marin) were going to be available only around May.
Jedi.Knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 21:39   #5293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all the inputs. I kind of knew that the bike would be the main cause. But as the Doc pointed out, I will keep practicing the climbs.

I have pre-booked the Trek FX 1 Disc and the earliest I am getting it is around mid-March. Rest of the hybrid bikes (Trek FX 2, 3, Giant Escape, Marin) were going to be available only around May.
Just don't overdo the very low cadence grinding work. That will spoil your knees so that you might be recuperating when you actually do get the Trek.

Everything done to enjoy rather than kill your body. Most of us are not going to race professional and all of us get only one body we need to take with us.

With an ungeared bike, tackle short punchy climbs to develop off saddle power and speed. Like sprinting up flyovers. Or Chandani Chowk or Tarkeshwar mandir type climbs. 300 to 400 meters, 5-7% average gradient.

Typical VO2 max sort of stuff. Stay away from the long sustained grindy stuff for now Play smart and bide your time. And use it to get stronger till then.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 08:28   #5294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Just don't overdo the very low cadence grinding work. That will spoil your knees so that you might be recuperating when you actually do get the Trek.
Thanks for the advice. Coincidently, I just found this website/app yesterday with which I can see the elevation and incline for the entire route. This will now help me plan my rides accordingly.

https://www.komoot.com/

Disclaimer: In no way associated with Komoot.
Old 8th February 2021, 11:38   #5295
BANNED

Are hybrid models with SRAM or Campagnolo drivetrains /transmission parts available in below ₹ 70k category? Rockrider 520 seems to have SRAM parts, but it is an MTB. Just curious.

Quote:
I just found this website/app yesterday with which I can see the elevation and incline for the entire route. This will now help me plan my rides accordingly.

https://www.komoot.com/
What does this do which Strava and Google Fit + Google maps cant?

Also, please be aware that even with gears, one occasionally has to stand up on the pedals. W
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed