Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2021, 23:18   #5401
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Today I purchased the BTWIN Riverside 100 from Decathlon, SGS Mall Pune. The purchasing experience was really pathetic, but I would avoid that for now.
While I was returning home from the store, I had hardly covered 2 KM and in the middle of a very busy junction, the left pedal of my brand new cycle got detached and fell off. I was about to lose the balance and fell off. But luckily I could control it. This was really traumatic and endangered my life. Kindly check the attached image.

The Bicycles thread-pedal_detached.jpg

The pedal is not something that we can refit without a spanner. Luckily I could find a puncture shop and attach it back. But while returning back, I was really scared.

If this was not sufficient, my seat tilted. While its a known fact that Riverside 100 has an uncomfortable saddle, getting it twisted in the middle of the road just makes it worst.

The Bicycles thread-tilted_seat.jpg

I had really high hopes from my new bicycle.

Any of our members of contact details of higher up at Decathlon. I have sent a strong-worded email to customer support, but really do not have much hope from it.

Last edited by Eddy : 19th February 2021 at 12:02. Reason: Grammar and typo correction
VaibhaoT is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 19th February 2021, 08:06   #5402
BANNED

Whoops. Looks more like incompetent workmanship at the store - they ship the bike with pedals and seat separate - need to be fitted at the store or by the buyer if "door delivery". What size did you get?

S and M are out of stock online. I am surprised that you got it at all.

I guess the ppst-lockdown has seen some staff turnover resulting in your sales experience and this possibly poor workmanship.

Regarding the seat - I will take some time to get used to.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 09:40   #5403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
S and M are out of stock online. I am surprised that you got it at all.
This is 'M'. They are sending hardly 2-3 cycles to all stores. They go out of stocks within hours through booking on app.
Old 19th February 2021, 10:47   #5404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
Today I purchased the BTWIN Riverside 100 from Decathlon, SGS Mall Pune. Purchasing experience was really pathetic, but I would avoid that for now.
While I was returning my home from the store, I had hardly covered 2 KM and in the middle of a very busy junction, left pedal of my brand new cycle got detached and fell off. I was about to lose the balance and fell off. But luckily I could control. This was really traumatic and endangered my life. Kindly check the attached image.

Attachment 2123379

Pedal is not something that we can refit without spanner. Luckily I could find a puncture shop and attach it back. But while returning back, I was really scared.

If this was not sufficient, my seat tilted. While its know fact that Riverside 100 has uncomfortable saddle, getting it twisted in middle of road just make it worst.

Attachment 2123380

I had really high hope from my new bicycle.

Any of our members of contact details of higher up at Decathlon. I have sent a strong worded email to customer support, but really do not have much hope from it.
Looks like the pedal was not tightened properly. However, please make sure that the threads are not worn out to avoid further damage. If you want to fix it yourself, 15mm spanner should do the job for you. 5mm Allen key should do the job for the saddle.

Last edited by chethan.ram : 19th February 2021 at 10:48.
chethan.ram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 16:23   #5405
BHPian

Had a good laugh at this

Name:  7He2HtzCFZ6s2xtXBpd8I5TqtMUe9Mr_9THYWwFPWg.png
Views: 1219
Size:  469.2 KB
Sudarshan42 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 19:35   #5406

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Even by lowering it with the help of the spacers and the adjustable stem, the shape of the handlebar is still raised and swept back. So I would suggest getting a new flat bar at least. Changes the feel of the bike. With bar ends, even better.

Cheers, Doc
Tried the spacers. It makes some difference, but as you pointed out, the effect is limited because of the shape of the handlebar. The stem is already at its lowest position. Looks like I need to get a flatbar.
Old 19th February 2021, 19:57   #5407

Quote:
Originally Posted by superguy282 View Post
Very True XD

Yes I have that in mind, and will get a repair kit for that too. I'm mostly fixated on saddle bags, and after scouting around the Choosemybicycle, Cyclop, Amazon and Decathlon, it seems Decathlon is the way to go. If anyone here does have their 100 Bike Repair Kit and Saddle Bag 0.5L, do let me know how it's holding up, although I might just purchase it anyways.
Had a saddle bag for quite some time - its convenient to keep keys, tools and other small stuff.

Recently bought this frame bag from decathlon: https://www.decathlon.in/p/8349734/s...e-bag-2l-black

Somewhat spoils the looks of the bike, but it's super convenient to keep mobile phone, wallets etc.
turboride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 06:31   #5408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
While I was returning home from the store, I had hardly covered 2 KM and in the middle of a very busy junction, the left pedal of my brand new cycle got detached and fell off.

Any of our members of contact details of higher up at Decathlon. I have sent a strong-worded email to customer support, but really do not have much hope from it.
That is a really unfortunate start to your cycling. The faulty workmanship of the guys who put together the bike, is to blame. Maybe they did not thread the pedals in enough and also obviously, did not tighten the seat onto the post.
Do write a feedback letter to the decathlon customer service and higher ups and also do a google review of that particular store. I am sure it will reach the ears of the higher ups. Nothing may come of it, but it may help other people who hopefully may not get meted the same treatment.

Please do not let this incident mar your further cycling journey. It is a great sport and I am sure you will enjoy it. All the best.

Cheerio!
Old 21st February 2021, 07:43   #5409
BHPian

Cyclists ,
Can you please mention your opinion of Hercules Dynamite ?
It is available only in 1 store in Hyderabad , and at a great price.

It looks nice, suits my requirement of weight loss. Any negatives for that cycle ?
Old 21st February 2021, 08:44   #5410
BANNED

Is that a full suspension cycle? At ₹ 7 or 8k or may be even lesser, please avoid it. Try for a ~15kg weight cycle like the b'twin MyBike or extend your budget to 9 / 12k for Riverside 100 or 120 from Decathlon.

Choose a cycle by your height, not your budget.

A poorly fitting / sized cycle will result in body pain all over. Please go through earlier posts in this thread on this subject. And please avoid MTBs for your use.
Old 22nd February 2021, 15:18   #5411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Is that a full suspension cycle? At ₹ 7 or 8k or may be even lesser, please avoid it. Try for a ~15kg weight cycle like the b'twin MyBike or extend your budget to 9 / 12k for Riverside 100 or 120 from Decathlon.

Choose a cycle by your height, not your budget.

A poorly fitting / sized cycle will result in body pain all over. Please go through earlier posts in this thread on this subject. And please avoid MTBs for your use.

Thanks for the advise. I purchased Mach City Munich single speed. It is road bike with slender tyres. Enjoying the experience so far.

Need a suggestion. Since I am 6 feet tall, and the handle is NOT height adjustable , how can I get hybrid adjustable handle T ?

Where is it available ?

Last edited by manduvindupondu : 22nd February 2021 at 15:19. Reason: Spell check
Old 22nd February 2021, 18:00   #5412
BHPian

Great thread we have going on here. I just thought I should share my rides with the gang.

I have always been partial to drop bar road bikes than the MTBs. Having said that, our roads and 'no-roads' are better suited for MTBs I guess. My first bike in school was a Hamilton and then graduated to a geared hybrid type cycle way back in the 90s, from then on there was a rather long break from cycling of almost 15 yrs. I then recommenced my cycling with a Merida Ride 100, with Sora set, which I have now handed down to my teenage daughter, who is also a keen cyclist.

I have bee a keen cyclist for the last 6 years or so. My current ride is this one. This is a full carbon frame Merckx Sallanches 64, with Ultegra group set. It has 11-28T at rear and 50-34 front. I have upgraded the handle bars and seat post to carbon ones and the wheels as well. I now have the Fulcrum Quattro 19c wheels and Sella Italia seat. It weighs in at just short of 8.4kgs.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210222_072940.jpg
The Bicycles thread-img_20210222_091959.jpg
The Bicycles thread-img_20210222_091941.jpg
The Bicycles thread-img_20210222_092107.jpg
The Bicycles thread-img_20210222_092120.jpg

My daughter's Merida Ride 100

The Bicycles thread-img_20210222_091928.jpg

The Merckx bike is a joy to ride, it is terribly quick when one wants to push it and can also comfortably do touring duties. I am currently in the market for a MTB, once I get over my recent cycle crash, where in my front wheels got stuck in a drain cover and i went over the handle bars, loosing teeth, cut lips and facial abrasions. The helmet saved me from much serious damage. Hope to be back to cycling in another 3-4 weeks or so. I would welcome suggestions for a good MTB in the 30-40K range.

Cheerio!
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_20210222_072948.jpg  

Last edited by alphadog : 22nd February 2021 at 18:02. Reason: to add info.
alphadog is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 21:46   #5413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post

I would welcome suggestions for a good MTB in the 30-40K range.

Cheerio!
Two bikes spring up in mind with above budget

Scott Aspect 740
Trek Marlin 3/4
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 23:12   #5414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
I have bee a keen cyclist for the last 6 years or so. My current ride is this one. This is a full carbon frame Merckx Sallanches 64, with Ultegra group set. It has 11-28T at rear and 50-34 front. I have upgraded the handle bars and seat post to carbon ones and the wheels as well. I now have the Fulcrum Quattro 19c wheels and Sella Italia seat. It weighs in at just short of 8.4kgs.
Awesome bike there You must be thoroughly enjoying long distance rides on this one. By the way, how much did this cost you? What's the max speed you can achieve on this one on plain straight road? Besides lighter weight what are the other advantages of a carbon frame on an Aluminum alloy?
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 07:41   #5415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Two bikes spring up in mind with above budget

Scott Aspect 740
Trek Marlin 3/4
Thanks a lot. I will look up these two. There seems to be a supply issue getting new bikes in. Possibly due to the pandemic situation and slow-down. I will certainly make enquiries on these two options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Awesome bike there You must be thoroughly enjoying long distance rides on this one. By the way, how much did this cost you? What's the max speed you can achieve on this one on plain straight road? Besides lighter weight what are the other advantages of a carbon frame on an Aluminum alloy?
Thank you. I do indeed enjoy every moment I spend on this bike. The longest I have done however is only around 100 kms or so. The only time I get (being a doctor), is sunday mornings and that has to be split gingerly between my passions and family commitments.
I brought this bike down from the UAE. I brought it with me in a cycle carrier bag as checked in baggage and thankfully, did not have to pay any duty on it. I think I paid roughly around 8500 dirhams at the shop, and then I got the carbon wheels, seat post, stem, new wheels and the Conti GP4000 tyres as additions later on.
Regarding the advantage of the carbon bike, in addition to the obvious weight advantage, I feel its quite stiff in the front to back direction, thus energy transfer from my pedalling to the wheels is more efficient. At the same, the vertical compliance is very good and that makes for a less jarring ride. I run 25c tyres at around 85 -90psi and I think that helps. The bike is a superb climber too. I am considering going up to 28c tyres. But sourcing them is a bit difficult currently.
My fastest on the flat has been 52 kmph, but sustained only for a short distance. Our Indian conditions does not allow for longer stretches of high speed cycling. Also, I am not in my peak fitness presently, age wise in my 40s, my VO2 max hovers around the 48-50. I am sure, a more trained and fit person can push the bike much faster. I tend to average 26-28 kmph, over my usual 40-50 km rides, at a much leisurely pace, taking it all in on crisp morning rides.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks