Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2008, 20:37   #136
Team-BHP Support

WOW! We finally found the person behind "THE STIG". Wait a minute, its not the Stig; its the Stig's cycling cousin!

@ Rough Square- a step in the right direction. Good for health as well! My cycle was taken by my cousins and i'm now wondering how to keep my weight under control.

Mine had problems with the gear. It just wouldnt shift at times, and really had to look after it every weekend!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th June 2008 at 20:40.
Old 5th June 2008, 20:46   #137
BHPian

I cycle down to office almost thrice a wee. Got a cycle for 4000 I saved that much of petrol in 3 months. I cycle around 30 Kms to and from office. Its awsome and takes around 45 mts , even if there is traffic or not. Which is 15 minutes less then my car ride.

Additional benifits
- You get the cool dude look in office
- Your waist line will go down rapidly
- And you can eat any amount of calories without feeling guilty.

I once cycled from my house to MG road which takes around 2 1/2 hours during peak hours in less than 20 mts.I went finished my job and came back in less than 1 1/2 hours.

Cycling ROCKS !!!
Old 5th June 2008, 22:11   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
I always try to minimize the inconvenience and safety risks to cyclists, and most of the time the cyclist just act shocked because they are so used to being 'run-over' by all other traffic. Slowing for cyclists at intersection(s) does seem to annoy the traffic behind me, and they duly protest will loud horns, wild gesticulations et al.

The climate here in large parts of MP, Rajasthan, Haryana etc is not really suitable for cycling, particularly in summers. Seems like you can only cycle 3 months of the year. Also cycling is now seen as a "low-class" activity in some circles, and you can tell that only people who can't even afford a (seond-hand) motorbike use pedal power.
In most major cities, there is no difference in speed of all kinds of vehicles, sparing the bullock carts. Cycle in fact is faster. Cyclists are the least to disturb the traffic or cut across a cars way. Bikes are the worst nuisance.

By saying that climate is not suitable for cycling is like saying that climate is not suitable for playing or excercise or non-AC work. Of course, nobody would want to sweat a hell before walking into office. That is why it is mostly suitable in the morning and evening upto a maximum of 7 kms. Some deo is a must though.

Trying to defend me the cyclist
Old 5th June 2008, 22:25   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Mine had problems with the gear. It just wouldnt shift at times, and really had to look after it every weekend!
Make sure the gear shift cable is adjusted correctly to allow to move to both the ends of gear. There are two screws that ensure that the gear lever that pushes the chain to the freewheel teeth don't push beyond the two ends causing chain to fall off. The two screws make sort of limits on both ends. If you restrict too much on the limits, the gear will not shift to the first or the last.
Old 5th June 2008, 22:48   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Here is my bicycle.

It is now a special shade of green and black. I use it once a while but my umm..."weight" prevents me from using it reularly. I used to be a very very good cyclist in school and until two years ago used to cycle atleast 28-30 Kms everyday.

I wonder how you fixed a K & N on that one!!
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-image00076.jpg  

Last edited by CorsaLove : 5th June 2008 at 22:51. Reason: Adding picture
CorsaLove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2008, 23:17   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Square View Post
I rode my cycle geared up like this:
Attachment 19180

I don’t know if the other road users understood my concern for safety as a cyclist or they felt that I am someone light in the head;

Rough Square you are quite square. it does take quite a lot of boldness to ride like that on a cycle. I am sure many got the point that you were making a statement.

Yes, The rest of the 99% think that you were light in the head.

I guess T-Bhp needs to open a new thread section for Human-bhp / Cycle power.

A place where we feature our 'bikes' as they call them in some countries.
Old 5th June 2008, 23:27   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Time to search for that Hercules RockShox of mine. If I dont find it I'll get another one.
Old 5th June 2008, 23:29   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
A place where we feature our 'bikes' as they call them in some countries.
That is what I call when I fight with the security when I park my cycle. I tell them that it is also a bike/two-wheeler/cycle just as other motorbike/two-wheeler/motorcycle. So, I park in two wheeler parking By now they are tired and I park wherever I want.
Old 6th June 2008, 03:37   #144
Senior - BHPian

well way back i remember looking at one if these bikes that was reported on a news channel in Hyderabad, one of the hotshots here bought one.

the price back then as reported, if i remember correctly was around 75grand.

at the moment i dont remember anything else, will keep you updated as i do. check these links out.

Mercedes-Benz fully-automatic pushbike

Mercedes Benz bicycle on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Mercedes-Benz Bike Collection 2006
Old 6th June 2008, 08:24   #145
Senior - BHPian

boss one koshun:

i rode around in amdavad for 1.5 months on cycle - there's little decent bike helmets that's more than an painted set of thermocol. I see you've got that handled so please post your experience with that and what you chose/price.
Old 6th June 2008, 08:32   #146
Senior - BHPian

cycles like cars- IMHO are built for different purposes. Racers and road bikes are built for mainting the speed whereas the MTBs are built for ease of pedalling etc.

There are bikes with Disc brakes (im getting mine in 10 days! ) from a few select vendors.

Hero Octane has disc brakes, and some high end bikes. I have not come across any racers with disc brakes as yet.

most high end MTBs come with disc brakes.

check out Trek and Firefox bicycles in Bangalore to get a idea of what are the kidns of bikes available in india. Also, check out Firefox Bikes - join the trail! they have some decent racers and other bikes. there are different bikes available, each to suit a particular cycling need, but not too many in India.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th June 2008 at 04:36. Reason: Defunct link removed - thread has been merged with this one.
Old 6th June 2008, 08:49   #147
Senior - BHPian

my first cycle was something 555 (not the ciggarets! thank you very much! ) which we bought in about '84. my brother and i used it till about 1990 when we were each bout seperate cycles. i got a streetcat - which made me teh coolest kid in the 5th std, and my brother a mach1. i still remember the new cycle smell. sigh! i loved cycling and used to cycle for a few hours every day (in the event i finish my homework! ) did some REALLLY crazy things. anywyas- i used that cycle till my 9th, when after going toa boarding school ,my mom gave away the cycle to the cook. [ she had recieved Several complaints that i used to cycle too fast inside the colony, and do some CRAZY things] got a Rokshok in the 11th which i used and i have no idea what happend to that. used to cycle to school and tutions and all that. used a cycle wtill college, when finally i inherited my brothers bike!

a few years ago -decided to restart cycling so bought a DX6 with gears- my first geared bike- loved it - sadly that got stolen (actually borrowed by someone indefintly).

And now, have just started towards buying the BMW of all cycles.... (not the ferrari mind you!) next chapter of my life! ....
Old 6th June 2008, 08:53   #148
BANNED

Firefox Bikes - join the trail!

Road Fox is a bicycle designed for use primarily on paved roads, as opposed to off-road terrain.

ROAD PRO 2200

MRP: INR 23,770
Old 6th June 2008, 15:04   #149
BHPian

One question about these carbon cycles:

1. Mine own weigth is about 80kg.
2. A normal cycle weighs 8kg, hence the load that I need to pull would be about 88kg, mere about 10% increase. So whats the point of shelling out so much money, when the load is not going to reduce so much when using the carbon cycles?

~LT
Old 6th June 2008, 17:12   #150
Senior - BHPian

None of these firefox bikes seem to have a mud-guard. It's like selling a car (in India) with low GC. I am looking to buy a cycle too but would prefer one with mud-guards and not costing more than 8-10K!

Any advice?

Most Viewed