Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2008, 14:09   #166
BHPian

What does asr245 translate into.
Just curious because asr(amritsar) is my hometown.
Old 8th June 2008, 18:12   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
What does asr245 translate into.
Just curious because asr(amritsar) is my hometown.

Just an ID I was assigned by school (univ) when I started my MS some 6 yrs ago. It's my initials + some random number. Use it almost everywhere I need to create an id and it's almost guaranteed to be available.
Old 10th June 2008, 06:06   #168
BHPian

I had this desire to start up cycling soon again at some point in my life. and i finally did it last year in November. Although the first few months were a resting period for my Hero Hawk.
I finally kickstarted my riding journey in february this year. Been riding since then and its wonderful and yes i too notice that experience of ZERO respect for cyclists on the streets!!
Which is why my cycling is mostly in the early mornings on pedestrian jogger streets around my place. Then there are those weekend exploration trips with my building youngsters.
But it truly is wonderful riding your bike on open streets with the wind blowing against your face and when you are exercising.. the drops of sweats flying off your face :P which will now be replaced by raindrops whiplashing on you.

The Firefox and Raleigh cycles are amazing stuff and i plan to get one soon. For now its the Hawk..
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-rides2.jpg  

Old 10th June 2008, 09:28   #169
BHPian

Hi All

Wow nice to find a thread on cycling - and great to hear that ppl still cherish it. I am also happy to see that some of us hear do respect the cyclists on the road.

Well we call can do that only if we cycle too. Sure will help save some fuel bills and definetly helps improve on our healths.

What cycle to ride? hmmmm there is a lot of choice and it comes down to individual choice/taste.

I m 32 now and never totally gave up cycling - though it has come down a lot in the last few yrs but I do go around on it and now also have a lill saddle for my yr n half kid

until last yr my office was like 9kms from my place and it was fun now the office is just 3 kms from then I have to climb one of the steepest uphills in town and my bike is a very basic Hero Ranger Max. Used to have a BSA Trailblazer b4 this which was stolen. Tight on budget, I got this bike for 1000rs and it has been with me for over 2yrs now and why I like it even more is, even this got stolen once but I found it a cpl of days later This thing is very sturdy, smooth but quiet heavy too. Just got a new set of tires and is in top form. Need to put the mudguards back on as the rains are arriving.

What is the maximum distance one can cycle? hmmmmm when I was into cycling, I had done 120kms non-stop in a lill over 3hrs. So there is nothing fixed. Unlike a motorbike/car it totall depends on once capabilities.

My advice - its pretty easy for someone to steal a bicycle - so I have decided not to go for any of the fancy ones. Rode a firefox of a frnd once - its a awesome bike and they have quiet a range - maybe if we have enough parking place and extra bucks then we can have this for a leisure/weekend ride. Maintenance/spares for these ones wud b a problem I guess for U can only get them fixed at the dealers place unlike the common ones which can be fixed by anyone.

Regarding safety - well when on the road, I think nobody is safe, still some protective gear would definetly help.

Anyone here in hyderabad who would like to form a group and go cycling.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Your post has been edited since it contained one too many smilies. Team-BHP is viewed by people from all walks of life, and they prefer an uncluttered post protocol. We would much appreciate you restricting the smilie usage to 2 per post.

SMS / Slang language is not the preferred mode of communication on Team-BHP. We would much appreciate if you type your post out in clear and concise english for the benefit of other community members.

Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 11th June 2008 at 00:57. Reason: Post cleaned up. Easy on the smileys please. Please limit to 2/post. Also please no SMS eg. no'u', 'yr', 'n'.
yaser_cyclist is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th June 2008, 12:19   #170
BHPian

4th day since i bought the WOW!!!.

Going good. Only the gears give me some trouble. Will get them fixed up soon on the first service :P (the dealer gave me a free service coupon)

I am presently cycling 10-12 kms a day. would go upto 15 by this weekend.

@ Pune cyclists: Wanna form a group and go cycling???
Old 10th June 2008, 13:31   #171
BHPian

When I was new in Gurgaon and did not have enough funds to buy an automobile, I bought a bike in Feb 2006. It is a Firefox Cyclone:

The Bicycles thread-bike_full.jpg

It has all aluminium alloy frame with alloy rims. 26" bike with 16" wheels.

The Bicycles thread-rear.jpg

The Bicycles thread-derailer.jpg

6 x 3 = 18 speed combination gears

The Bicycles thread-shifter.jpg

At that time it had costed me INR 6280 + VAT. I used to ride it to work during winters. It was not an easy thing to convince my family and friends to digest the fact that I am buying a bicycle for commuting.

My team mates were making fun of me while I was consulting websites to narrow down my choices of bikes. The very first day when I reached office, all guards were looking at me. One of them advised me to go to the basement parking level 2. I was feeling special with the special treatment to me. During lunch time, all of my team mates took test rides in the basement itself

I used to ride my bike to virtually everywhere, as it was only mode of transportation for me. And wherever I took it, it used to become the center of attraction. It was a real head turner and even DTC buses and cars used to give respect while overtaking me.

Once I took it to MGF Metropolitan mall. At the entrance to basement parking, I asked the guard if I can take the bike to the basement. He said, "Sir, there is free parking for bikes!" And wow, what an arrangement it was. There was a very large area cordoned off the car parking with roof high grills. I was given a parking token and attendant their helped me locate a free spot.

Gradually, traffic increased on the roads here and work for NH-8 expressway gathered pace. The road behind MDI, that used to be deserted all over the day has 10-15 mins waiting time at signal. People became more insensitive towards pedestrians and bikers. My passion for biking died a slow death.

It was serving the purpose to dry up the washed clothes till last Saturday (as it is all alloy, no rust). After I dropped my car to the TATA/Fiat A.S.S., I took my bike to Firefox bikestation here for service. Got the front tyre changed, all parts oiled and bought a gel filled saddle cover.

I have started biking in the morning since then and will use it for shot distance commuting on weekends when traffic is thin.
Old 10th June 2008, 15:15   #172
Senior - BHPian

I am glad to follow this thread from the beginning, eventually in a desperate state to buy one very soon. My purpose is daily work-out of atleast 5 to 10 kms early morning. If situations permit, I would also like to take it for nearest shops etc. for small house needs. I have been madly checking all the cycles parked in my compound basements, finding almost 15 types of cycles (with and without gear) of various brands. Found few geared Hero Ranger types and some Hamilton brands apart from the regular Hercules and other Hero models.

Coming to the purpose of this post; How exactly the number of gears matter for a city usage ? I have seen a base range of 4 gears to a max of 27 shimano gears on different bikes. I am sure the posters above will have clear view on the practicality. Please enlighten !!! Thanks !
Old 10th June 2008, 16:27   #173
BHPian

Gears are good if you have to travel on ups and downs.
In case of plain roads u actually dont need them at all (correct me if i am wrong)

What i suggest is get a 3x6=18 gear combo bike as it is the most common on medium to high range bikes.

If u want to get groceries too , go for something like hero DTB.
Other bikes dont have carriers
My cycle is good for carrying myself only :P
Old 10th June 2008, 17:18   #174
rippergeo

if it is just short commutes on flat,ground, you're better off without the added moving parts of a gear system.

you do need gears on flat ground if you intend to cruise for long distances.
a higher gear will let the engine(you) run at a lower rpm, and extend your range(not by a massive amount)

gears definitely make life easy in the hills.

Old 10th June 2008, 18:37   #175
Senior - BHPian

motorhead:

nice going! I haven't managed to get up early for the past 2 days... i hit the bed quite late. Plan to be in bed by 11pm today so as to get up atleast by 7
Old 10th June 2008, 23:18   #176
BHPian

i too dont hit the bed early ....
the only thing is i do manage to keep my cell at such a place that
i have to get out of bed else it snoozes loud till i get up or one of
my flatmates gets up to bang at my door to wake me.

Lets keep motivating each other.

PS: I even cycle when its been raining in pune. No matter what comes
Old 11th June 2008, 00:32   #177
BHPian

OT: 6-8 hrs sleep is all we need.
Hope to see an update from you asr245, It would be painful to get up early for the first week.
Then you will get a hang of it

Cheers
Old 11th June 2008, 01:27   #178
BHPian

asr.. Firefox cycles do come with the mud guards but at an extra cost. But at your price range not quite a Firefox for u...

Btw I personally know a firefox dealer in Thane,Mumbai. He may help out if anyone is interested..
Old 11th June 2008, 09:35   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
i too dont hit the bed early ....
the only thing is i do manage to keep my cell at such a place that
i have to get out of bed else it snoozes loud till i get up or one of
my flatmates gets up to bang at my door to wake me.

Lets keep motivating each other.

PS: I even cycle when its been raining in pune. No matter what comes
Finally I did manage to get up by 7:15ish today and went out for a ride. Man!! either these tires are making the ride difficult or I am lowww on stamina. Roughly 25 - 30 mins (9-10kms) and I was out!

BTW... cycling in rain does sound like more fun. Ofcourse in Noida, that wont happen too often.

matrix: well, I wasn't looking at that price range. It was an impulsive decision after which I decided I wont go for shopping alone!
Old 11th June 2008, 11:40   #180
BHPian

Guys, did not have the enthusiasm to go through the entire thread. I am sure this must have been asked and mentioned in this thread somewhere by somebody.

Going green is the buzzword and I wish to join the bandwagon sooner than later. I want to inculcate the habit to cycling to work, to start atleast once in a week and progressively 2-3 days a week as the stamina builds up.

My commute is a good 18 kms one way and obviously this would mean, I need a geared bicycle that is easy on the limbs. I usually start work as early as 8 am, so beating the morning traffic is not a problem for me. And I am back home at around 5:00-5:30 pm. So again no rush hour traffic really.

What are my options in geared bicycles? Links, suggestions please. Thanks in anticipation.

Most Viewed