Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2007, 09:30   #76
BHPian

Went to airshow with my family on Saturday. I picked up two 750 passes from the Canara bank ticket counter. But I was quite disappointed when they did it allow me to the Exhibition hall since they don’t allow children below 15. This was not at all informed when I picked the tickets. To my enquiry they actually said kids doesn’t require tickets. I spoke to the organizer he said its business pass they have given to me. He advised parents can go one by one . What’s fun I don’t know. I think organizers purposefully hid this information at the ticket counter, If knew this before I would have just picked only 300 pass.
They had arranged buses to drop from the car parking slot in the morning but to my agony, they were few buses to drop back. We had to walk.
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:59   #77
Team-BHP Support

Hello folks, A few pics from my side as well. Finally managed to upload them.

Sukhoi

F-16 fighting falcon
Old 23rd February 2007, 12:26   #78
Team-BHP Support

More pics:

F-18 super hornet performing a low radius high G turn (9 G's)

Vertical loop:

inverted:

slow speed pass:

After landing:

Old 23rd February 2007, 13:35   #79
Team-BHP Support

Mig-35 on a slow speed pass then power down going into vertical:

Swedish Gripen which is actually Saab:

Sarang Advanced Light Helicopter. Notice the ORVM's on the side of the chopper!!!!!! Now why would an indian chopper need mirrors???

Old 23rd February 2007, 14:02   #80
Team-BHP Support

Boeing C-117 Globemaster 3:

The best part -- The Mig-35. this was an awesome display of maneuvres. Seen below is the cobra and the tail slide. 2 of the most difficult maneuvres.

gripen with mid air refuelling pod.

Sukhoi 30 ammunition:

Tejas LCA:
Old 23rd February 2007, 14:08   #81
Team-BHP Support

Suryakirans:

A couple of hot birds.
Old 23rd February 2007, 22:46   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

Sarang Advanced Light Helicopter. Notice the ORVM's on the side of the chopper!!!!!! Now why would an indian chopper need mirrors???
Dear Vid,
The military choppers and fighters have rear view mirrors for tactical reasons like checking tail clearnce from enemy aircraft and position keeping in formation. Hope it helps.
Old 24th February 2007, 13:35   #83
Team-BHP Support

nahin yaar madmax it must be useful while overtaking other helicopters. afterall it is an indian chopper.

besides this thing can fly in reverse so useful then as well.
Old 12th October 2013, 20:09   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Farnborough Air Show- Yelahanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
More pics:

F-18 super hornet performing a low radius high G turn (9 G's)
From where did you get that figure of 9G?
Theoretically, it is not possible for a human to execute such a high G turn and sustain in flight.
As per aero medicine, G forces above 7 G will make the pilot black out.
Most modern fighter aircrafts have 'fly by wire' technology in which if the pilot executes a high G maneuver beyond 6.5 Gs, the aircraft automatically takes over controls and resume straight and level flight.
This feature is required in a fighter aircraft as a safety measure as in many tail chases, the pilot unknowingly exceeds his G tolerance limits.

Quote:
Actually, the aircraft powers up to go into a vertical Charlie because it would need that much more power to sustain forward flight at high angle of attack of the blades and not stall too

Quote:
Quote:
nahin yaar madmax it must be useful while overtaking other helicopters. afterall it is an indian chopper.

besides this thing can fly in reverse so useful then as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
Dear Vid,
The military choppers and fighters have rear view mirrors for tactical reasons like checking tail clearnce from enemy aircraft and position keeping in formation. Hope it helps.
The rear view mirrors on fighter aircraft are used for tactical reasons as mentioned by MADMAX111. However, though the ORVM of ALH might be placed for similar reasons, it is mainly used to see the engine exhaust for fire during engine starts
Old 12th October 2013, 21:50   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
From where did you get that figure of 9G?
Theoretically, it is not possible for a human to execute such a high G turn and sustain in flight.
As per aero medicine, G forces above 7 G will make the pilot black out.
Most modern fighter aircrafts have 'fly by wire' technology in which if the pilot executes a high G maneuver beyond 6.5 Gs, the aircraft automatically takes over controls and resume straight and level flight.
This feature is required in a fighter aircraft as a safety measure as in many tail chases, the pilot unknowingly exceeds his G tolerance limits.
Dude, if you quote a 6 year old post how will I remember where I got that from.

It must have been the commentator saying all that. After 6 years I don't really remember.
Old 12th October 2013, 21:59   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dude, if you quote a 6 year old post how will I remember where I got that from.

It must have been the commentator saying all that. After 6 years I don't really remember.
Sorry. I was not pointing a finger at you. My intention was to share the truth that 9G turn is difficult to believe and execute.
Please don't get me wrong.
Old 12th October 2013, 22:03   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry. I was not pointing a finger at you. My intention was to share the truth that 9G turn is difficult to believe and execute.
Hey no problem. Thanks for correcting although 6 years too late
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 09:20   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Well, since we are revisiting an old thread let me add some: Modern fighter pilots are trained to withstand sustained 9G easily. Well, not easily, it takes a lot of training and special equipment (G-suit). But even F16 pilots, have been pulling those sort of G's since 1976! The electronics you refer too, have much higher G-loading limits.

Pilots can pull even higher G numbers for shorter times. Its the combination of G and the time exposed to it that determines whether you conk out.

Here is a good article on G in general and some specifics on human and what they can withstand, note there is positive and negative Gs with very different limits too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 22:35   #89
BHPian

@Dhanush

As Jeroen mentioned, regular fighter pilots can handle 9G turns, with the G-suit. EADS is developing/has developed an even better G-suit that will help Typhoon pilots push 9.5G-10G. Some fighters themselves, since the 1970's designs, have 12G design limits if not more , though it does vary with flight and load conditions. Most jets will not do the full design limit at full load, maybe limited to 6 or 7G, but some like the F-16 are designed to sustain 9G with full internal fuel + normal air-air load (2-4 missiles). As for air-air missiles, they can pull in excess of 20Gs among the modern missiles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks