Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2019, 09:15   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
They are the ones who have won us the last match and this one. If my memory serves me right, we haven't chased in this tournament so far. That will be a scenario which would test the team.
We chased 220 odd against South Africa this tournament.
Old 28th June 2019, 10:37   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting situation for someone who likes to do probability questions! If one observes the remaining matches, there's a very interesting situation brewing up.
Basically, there are three buckets now other than India.
1. Australia, NZ, England - all remaining matches within themselves except EngvsInd and AusvsSA
2. Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh - all remaining buckets within themselves, bucket 3 and India
3. WI, South Africa, Afghanistan - All out; with most remaining matches with bucket 2

Basically members of bucket 1 and 2 have no more matches between them. Unless the teams in bucket 3 really fight back, one of the teams in bucket 2 has a stronger potential of making it to top 4 at the cost of England.

India can literally make match-maker with one of the potential scenarios being us winning against England in the next match and enabling one of the bucket 2 members to move up to the top 4, which would potentially mean a semi-final against that member. Too many moving variables, but this has a higher probability of happening
Old 28th June 2019, 12:54   #363
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Although, we won yesterday, I am starting to worry a bit about Team India. Especially the batting. In this line-up only Rohit Sharma & Virat Kohli are capable of getting 100's ! KL Rahul has the habit of throwing it away after he gets a start.

All along I've been advocating Dhoni at no.4 , but looking at the amount of dot balls he's consuming, it puts enormous pressure on the other batsman. So where should Dhoni bat? Around the 38th-40th over, Hardik is the ideal batsman.

Shankar doesn't inspire confidence at no.4. Looks like England game might be his last in the tournament! No.4 is too high a position for Kedar. Karthik perhaps could get a look-in for the Bangladesh game. Pant if included should only bat after the 38th over, he's only good enough for a quickfire 20 odd, not sure he can build an innings in an ODI.

Shami is bowling in really good rhythm, will make it difficult for Bhuvi to make a comeback. Bhuvi is a handy batsman which is a huge bonus when situation gets a bit dicey.
Old 28th June 2019, 13:11   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
India can literally make match-maker with one of the potential scenarios being us winning against England in the next match and enabling one of the bucket 2 members to move up to the top 4, which would potentially mean a semi-final against that member. Too many moving variables, but this has a higher probability of happening
Sorry for bringing this up, but one of the disturbing thoughts occupying my mind is, India helping Pakistan to get into top 4, and then in the resulting semi-final Pakistan beats us. I pray this never happens.
Old 28th June 2019, 13:41   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Sorry for bringing this up, but one of the disturbing thoughts occupying my mind is, India helping Pakistan to get into top 4, and then in the resulting semi-final Pakistan beats us. I pray this never happens.
On a similar note, question to everyone. How do you perceive India throwing away the England match, not to allow Pakistan in the semis? Would our team be thinking on those lines?
Old 28th June 2019, 13:47   #366
Senior - BHPian

Shankar is a bad number 4. He doesn't have the game for number 4 and he can't Bat at Number 6 as a finisher like Hardik. Pant/DK should replace him for England match.

Everyone was praising Dhoni after yesterday's win. But the fact remains he has been a liability in the middle overs. his inability to rotate Strike frustrates the non Strike batsman which was quite evident looking at Kohli yesterday and in the last match.
This can be a big issue when we play a bigger team in semi finals or finals.

Best is to play Dk/pant at 4, kedar at 5, dhoni at 6 and pandya to finish it up.
Old 28th June 2019, 13:52   #367
BHPian

Quote:
On a similar note, question to everyone. How do you perceive India throwing away the England match, not to allow Pakistan in the semis? Would our team be thinking on those lines?
That would tantamount to "match fixing". As the case in Horse racing, pulling is a no-no.

Wasn't England the favourites to win this world cup? Yes, they may have had a few bad matches, but then, it may end up being the greatest disaster.

Play fair, play well, win matches consistently and be champions. This would be the best option for any team that wants to win the championship.
Old 28th June 2019, 14:42   #368
BHPian

Quote:
There is not a single bone in VK's body that'll allow him do that. At max they'll try some changes (especially Vijay), which if anything will only be an improvement. England can play well, which they are capable of and take the game, but Kohli ain't giving an inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Shankar is a bad number 4.
Everyone was praising Dhoni after yesterday's win.
Best is to play Dk/pant at 4, kedar at 5, dhoni at 6 and pandya to finish it up.
The number 4 problem seems to be perennial, Rahul seemed a nice option but the Dhawan injury shook things up. MSD at 6 is more risky than at 4, and neither DK/Pant have the temperament to bat at 4. I'd say MSD at 4 and Pant at 6 ahead of DK, purely because he is a southpaw.
P.S: Dravid kept wickets in '03 due to lack of a proper wicketkeeper batsmen, and now we have 3 (not including Rahul) on this tour. Long way we have come b
Old 28th June 2019, 14:49   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
That would tantamount to "match fixing". As the case in Horse racing, pulling is a no-no.
What I am thinking is that rather than India, it is Pakistan that may prefer to lose their next matches to avoid a semifinal game against India

Imagine losing twice to India in the same World Cup (which has not happened before)...I don't think that Pak fans will take it kindly given the outrage & flak they have already showered on Pak Team.
Old 28th June 2019, 15:09   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
What I am thinking is that rather than India, it is Pakistan that may prefer to lose their next matches to avoid a semifinal game against India

Imagine losing twice to India in the same World Cup (which has not happened before)...I don't think that Pak fans will take it kindly given the outrage & flak they have already showered on Pak Team.
I doubt. The last time both these teams met twice in the same tournament was Champions trophy in 2017 in which India won the group match and was outclassed in the finals.

It's better India and Pak do not meet in the semis.

Meanwhile, SL lose their first wicket on the first ball.
Old 28th June 2019, 15:29   #371
BHPian

Shankar at No.4 doesn't inspire confidence at all.
Pakistan is an unpredictable team and it is better to avoid them in the Semis.
Hopefully there are no rain affected matches in the future so that the all the Teams (in contention for the Semis) get an opportunity to qualify.
Old 28th June 2019, 15:42   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Shankar doesn't inspire confidence at no.4. he's only good enough for a quickfire 20 odd, not sure he can build an innings in an ODI
Yet to see his quick fire 20's. Remember the final of Nidahas trophy final in sri lanka. More often he failed to connects with the ball.

We almost lost it if we discount the final ball heroics of DK . In WC also he tried those big shot but failed to connect with ball.

Nidahas trophy final
Old 28th June 2019, 17:31   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post

It's better India and Pak do not meet in the semis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Pakistan is an unpredictable team and it is better to avoid them in the Semis.
In the current scheme of things, I feel it more likely that Pakistan makes it to semis than England. I think it would be good to meet them in the semis than the Final.

If both teams make it to Final then, instead of Pakistan, it would be India which would be under pressure due to Champions Trophy outcome.
Old 28th June 2019, 19:36   #374
BHPian

Wow, I am amazed at people criticizing MSD for his innings yesterday. IMHO he was perfect. It wasn't a 325 pitch as everyone was hoping, he got that and played accordingly minimizing risks. He has no batman to follow after Panya.

Together our No.8 to 11 cannot bat for 5 overs for maybe 15-20 runs. What would one do? Yes, ideally one would hope that he rotates strike a bit more. Check his ball by ball stats. It matches his partner every 10 balls. The only place he scratched around was the beginning 20 balls when he was trying to settle in, which is completely understandable. If he got out, we would have struggled to make 225, that is the reality.

Its all nice to say, how one should bat, but MSD has 'always' played the situation. He has never let his ego get the better of him. If he had someone like Jadhav to follow him, he can perhaps be a bit more adventurous but no way he is risking it in the situation he was in.
Old 28th June 2019, 20:37   #375
Team-BHP Support

The bees again! What's with the bees and SA vs SL matches?

Had happened before:

(Don't miss the comments section!).

And today as well! But don't these bees sting?! The players are pretty cool about it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks