England 74 28.24%
West Indies 17 6.49%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2019, 20:17   #526
BHPian

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019

Guys, aren't we all supporting the same team? Can we please tone down on all the hate comments in this thread?

Old 2nd July 2019, 20:29   #527
Senior - BHPian

We were having a healthy discussion till today, ultimately we want India to win or compete with true cricketing spirits. The forum is not to show personal ire against any member. I just ignore to reply to hate comments and leave it to the moderators. The cricketing records are there to see what Dhoni achieved when the greats were around and what he did after the greats retired.

It is the number of viewers from whom BCCI gets money. It is the fans from whom cricketers attain god's image. We are well within our rights to question the happenings around our team. Finally there is an element of 'Indianess' in our discussions, which is mutual respect for other members.

Last edited by deehunk : 2nd July 2019 at 20:54.
Old 2nd July 2019, 20:34   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
The forum is not to show personal ire against any member. It is the number of viewers from whom BCCI gets money. It is the fans from whom cricketers attain god's image.
Well said. After all, what are we but mere spectators.
Old 2nd July 2019, 20:55   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

One has to give credit to the Bangladesh team where applicable. Mustafizur correctly identified when Indian batsmen were attacking and used the slow bouncers effectively to get wickets. Currently the Bangladesh batsmen clearly have a plan to hit the bad balls, and attack Chahal and Pandya as much as possible.

India has two options - keep getting wickets by attacking, and finish these two bowlers to let the other three choke the batsmen in the last 12 overs. The next 12 overs while Pandya and Chahal bowl are going to be key!
Old 2nd July 2019, 22:21   #530
BHPian

The Indian balling attack just seem to be a bit flat today. Somehow Bumrah, Shami and Chahal didnt seem to be incisive today.

Chahal certainly wasnt his attacking self today.
Old 2nd July 2019, 23:03   #531
Team-BHP Support

Congrats everyone !

Talent Sharma, Crass Pandya & Boom-rah have led us to the semis

Well played Bangladesh though.
Old 2nd July 2019, 23:11   #532
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, good show by Bangladesh and they did give us some tense moments.
Our top and middle order batting needs to be a little more robust and get more runs in the first and last 10 overs (top order did well today in first 10 but middle order struggled in later stages) and we can't risk with a line up having just 5 bowlers.
Tomorrow's England-New Zealand game will be another key match.

If India wins the last game against Sri Lanka and Australia win their game against South Africa, Australia will top the table with 16 points and India will be #2 with 15 points. If New Zealand end at #3, it will be india-New Zealand in one of the semis

Last edited by NPV : 2nd July 2019 at 23:16.
Old 2nd July 2019, 23:22   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Congrats everyone !

Talent Sharma, Crass Pandya & Boom-rah have led us to the semis

Well played Bangladesh though.
Bang bros batted really well and never gave up. This is the attitude which was missing from India in yesterday's match and that's why so much criticism about it.

Congratulations everyone for our semis spot.
Whoever wins tomorrow will be the one we will face off in semis. I am hoping it's NZ.
Old 2nd July 2019, 23:27   #534
Senior - BHPian

Sri Lanka is in good form, one last chance for India to sort out their batting woes. My bets on NZ to beat England tomorrow. Bangladesh performed very well despite a top order collapse.
Old 2nd July 2019, 23:31   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
If he takes the single - 'Why take the single when you are the 'in' batsman?'
If he does not take the single - 'What was he smoking?'

Well played I must say

How many did DK score? How many did Pant score, despite being given a free license? Pandya failed, that's apparently fine. Rohit/Kohli getting out at crucial times, yeah okay. Lets not even talk about KL, always gets out when you expect the opener who has consumed so many balls to actually accelerate. Also, lets even forget who was bowling when and how many fielders can protect the boundary after 40 overs.

MS does the dirty job by looking bad, getting runs on the board for the team, taking upon himself to go big (which he couldn't today), but he accepts responsibility. I cannot say the same about others. You want an aggressive MS, bat him up the order and give him that freedom to go at it. At the position he bats, with the tail we have, he is never going to risk it. If he got out at say 15 off 10, we would not have got 300. That is the reality, like it or not.

What I must ask is; what are you smoking my friend?
Absolutely bang on. It's only because of Dhoni, we are reaching respectable totals. Remove him from the scenario and we'll be definitely 30 - 40 runs short.

Batting is not about always hitting fours and sixes. It's about reading the match situation well and taking the ownership and responsibility too. And as far as the strike rate of Dhoni is concerned, let him bat at number 4 and then see how many runs he scores and at what strike rate.
Old 2nd July 2019, 23:58   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Bang bros batted really well and never gave up. This is the attitude which was missing from India in yesterday's match and that's why so much criticism about it.
Question to you: Did BD have a choice? I mean they could have tapered in the end but what would it achieve? There was only one way to play.

It's pretty easy to criticize someone who is doing the hard yards. This 'Go for glory' thing that everyone keeps talking about sounds okay in a bilateral but not in a WC with the format we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Congratulations everyone for our semis spot.
Whoever wins tomorrow will be the one we will face off in semis. I am hoping it's NZ.
If NZ beat England, then Pak have one foot in the door for semis. It will be Aus V Pak & India V NZ.

Mathematically even iF Eng beat NZ, then Pak can still make it by beating BD by a whopping margin, just not sure if its possible. We are looking at around a NRR of 1 across 9 games, just ridiculously tough, which won't happen.
Old 3rd July 2019, 06:36   #537
Distinguished - BHPian

So we have a semi-final scheduled against England or New Zealand next week, AT THE SAME PITCH!

Well in all possibilities, I'd put my money on England winning the next match and booking the 3rd position overall. Kohli has been repeatedly saying that his team doesn't really plan accordingly to the opposition team, but he better start doing that in the next match. Coz England might not give him the luxuries that Bangladesh gave us, a dropped sitter of Rohit, and a mellowed mid-overs. In the remote chance that it's NZ, then India will have to plan for kind of a repeat scenario like against Bangladesh, as both these teams are very similar structured - am all-around performing team with one or two key players (Shakib, Morrison).

The good thing - we have a seemingly more confident no.4 position, and a work-in-progress 3 strong pacers + spinner + all-rounder setup.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 3rd July 2019 at 06:40.
Old 3rd July 2019, 07:18   #538
Senior - BHPian

I think this team is close to the best we can get with current crop.
I would swap in DK with one of the bowling options (ie Jadeja or Jadhav).

That batting position has not given us much any ways in terms of runs.

I would maintain both Bhuvi and Shami.
Bhuvi is a good depth bowling option and Shami can provide vital wickets in the middle overs. But Kohli should take care and finish off his quota by 40 overs as he leaks runs in the death.

So it could be something like this.

Rohit, Rahul, Kohli, Dhoni (I feel most value for Dhoni the batsman is at 4th), Pant, Pandya, Jadeja/Jadhav, Bhuvi, Shami, Kuldeep/Chahal, Bumrah.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd July 2019 at 08:24. Reason: typo
Old 3rd July 2019, 08:57   #539
BHPian

It would look better if DK/Jadeja/Jadhav be used based on the opposition. If there are more left handers in the opposition, its better to select Jadhav, but if he is not going to bowl, no point in going for him. DK or Jadeja can do the job.
Old 3rd July 2019, 08:58   #540
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
In the remote chance that it's NZ, then India will have to plan for kind of a repeat scenario like against Bangladesh, as both these teams are very similar structured - am all-around performing team with one or two key players (Shakib, Morrison).
Morrison = Williamson ?

New Zealand rely quite heavily on Williamson/Ross Taylor, but others like Jimmy Neesham and Colin de Grandhomme have also stepped up when they needed it. Don't forget they have Guptil who may not have made any major impact yet, but is a dormant threat always!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed