Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2019, 11:55   #601
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Unless SA can pull off a near miracle against Australia, we will face England in the semis and Australia in the finals. Go blue !!
Most of us would have love to meet NZ in semis but that is quite unlikely considering the form SA has showed. So, in all probability we will meet England in semis. We need luck which we didn't had last time. First, need to win toss, bat first and make 310+. If we lose the toss we need to restrict then max by 280-290. Anything above 300 is very hard to chase in a pressure match like semis.
Old 4th July 2019, 12:11   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I don't know how you calculated, but these are the numbers that I am getting when i do the calculations.
Thanks, I rechecked and found out where I was going wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
This is how the NRR is calculated:

Pakistan's current NRR: -0.792 in 8 matches
Pakistan's total RR: -0.792x8 = -6.336

NZ's current NRR: 0.175 in 9 matches
NZ's total RR: 0.175x9=1.575

Hence in 1 match pakistan will have to cover 6.336+1.575+0.001 RR to over take NZ, which is 7.912.

Now this will have to be done in 50 overs or less. Hence by runs, the winning margin should be 50x7.912 = 395.6 ~ 396 runs
This was exactly how I was calculating and I was getting the same 396. In this method, 316 will actually make the NRR 0. In this method we are averaging the NRR of each match for the total matches. In this even if Bangladesh bats first, Pak still have a chance

However, NRR for the tournament is not the average of the NRR for each match. It is the difference of tournament run rate "FOR" and tournament run rate "Against". Here the difference is in and around 316 and Pak will be out if Ban bats first.

What if Sarfaraz wins the toss and bowls first?
Old 4th July 2019, 12:11   #603
BHPian

Quote:
This is how the NRR is calculated:

Note: If you get all out your innings is treated as 50 overs regardless of how many overs you actually faced.
I am not sure whether i understood the method mentioned by you.
But let me explain how I calculated:
NZ:
Total runs scored in total overs batted: 1674/344.0
Total runs conceded in total overs bowled: 1868/398.1
RR for Runs scored = 4.866
RR for runs conceded = 4.6915
NRR = 4.866 - 4.6915 = 0.1745

PAK:
Total runs scored in total overs batted: 1710/338.5
Total runs conceded in total overs bowled: 1773/303.4
RR for Runs scored = 5.0467
RR for runs conceded = 5.8386
NRR = 5.0467 - 5.8386 = -0.7919

So, for the remaining match, i kept adding those runs (350, 375, etc) for PAK and arrived at the winning margin for them so that the NRR of PAK is more than NZ.

Again, I am not saying that the method mentioned by you is wrong. I have just explained how I did the calculations.

Quote:
Note: If you get all out your innings is treated as 50 overs regardless of how many overs you actually faced.
Yes, I am aware of this rule.
Old 4th July 2019, 12:18   #604
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure whether i understood the method mentioned by you.
There is a an inherent non-intuitiveness in this method (at least for me) you followed (although if done correctly should have the same result). NRR is the average Difference of RR in each match over the tournament and NOT a difference of total for and against RR as you have calculated. There is a subtle difference. It is calculated per match basis.
I sometime find visualising it as a weighted average easier. The current value is weighed down by the number of completed matches. The new value has a weight of only 1.

New RR = (Number of matches already completed x existing RR) + (difference expected in the current match x 1)/(Number of matches already completed+1)

Some of the live cricket websites use this runs scored/overs faced method but do not reveal the internal adjustment they do for each match.

Hope that clarifies!

Last edited by feluda86 : 4th July 2019 at 12:23.
Old 4th July 2019, 12:37   #605
Senior - BHPian

Now it is the turn of fielding coach to utter something, "Pant has to be athletic in the outfield and improve his throwing ability". Is this gully cricket that anyone can take any position during the match? Poor Pant an aspiring wicket keeper batsman is being misused as an outfielder to protect an old horse. I wish Dhoni who claims to be very athletic could have played as a non-wicket keeper in this World Cup. We lost Irfan Pathan because of Greg Chappell, if Shastri and MSK Prasad continue with their 3D vision, Pant too may suffer the fate of Irfan Pathan.
Old 4th July 2019, 12:51   #606
BHPian

Quote:
There is a an inherent non-intuitiveness in this method (at least for me) you followed (although if done correctly should have the same result). NRR is the average Difference of RR in each match over the tournament and NOT a difference of total for and against RR as you have calculated. There is a subtle difference. It is calculated per match basis.
I sometime find visualising it as a weighted average easier. The current value is weighed down by the number of completed matches. The new value has a weight of only 1.

New RR = (Number of matches already completed x existing RR) + (difference expected in the current match x 1)/(Number of matches already completed+1)

Some of the live cricket websites use this runs scored/overs faced method but do not reveal the internal adjustment they do for each match.

Hope that clarifies!
Can you explain what exactly you meant by 'inherent non-intuitiveness' in the method that I have mentioned?

And the method to calculate NRR (btw, that is Net Run Rate and not New Run Rate) that you have explained is definitely wrong. I don't know where you got that information from.
You can find lot of websites where this is mentioned and I am quoting from one of the website for your reference, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_ru...n_a_tournament.
Old 4th July 2019, 13:14   #607
BHPian

Quote:
.. It is calculated per match basis.
Quote:
And the method to calculate NRR (btw, that is Net Run Rate and not New Run Rate) that you have explained is definitely wrong.

kavensri is spot on here. The NRR is not "per match basis". Its an overall calculation - cumulative, in fact - of runs scored against runs conceded per over.
Just have a look at the below page - It has the details on NRR.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/table/s...cket-world-cup
Old 4th July 2019, 13:31   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Can you explain what exactly you meant by 'inherent non-intuitiveness' in the method that I have mentioned?

And the method to calculate NRR (btw, that is Net Run Rate and not New Run Rate) that you have explained is definitely wrong. I don't know where you got that information from.
You can find lot of websites where this is mentioned and I am quoting from one of the website for your reference, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_ru...n_a_tournament.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
kavensri is spot on here. The NRR is not "per match basis". Its an overall calculation - cumulative, in fact - of runs scored against runs conceded per over.
Just have a look at the below page - It has the details on NRR.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/table/s...cket-world-cup
The calculation that I have done is based on first principle mathematics. If you substitute RR by Runs/Overs in my formula you will get back the final formula that Wikipedia links says (or for that matter Cricinfo). It is weighted by number of overs per match or match (if you prefer simpler numbers).

No point getting into details which cannot be explained on this forum by typing (need my old fashioned board and chalk for that ).

May India lift the cup regardless of whose formula is used to calculate the NRR.

Peace Out!
Old 4th July 2019, 13:45   #609
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
I think some of the bowlers like Wood and Woakes bowl with an unerring accuracy and this coupled with familiarity of the conditions makes them equally effective.
Absolutely! Not taking away anything from their bowlers and agree that they make use of their home conditions which is why I said they're capable of bowling out or containing the opposition and thereby able to defend their 300+ scores
I think for a team batting first with such a game plan 330 or thereabouts would be the bare minimum safe target and this I think we all had predicted prior to the tournament, just that in certain games, pitch and weather conditions contributed to low scoring games.
Old 4th July 2019, 13:56   #610
BHPian

Pardon me for being slightly off topic here. It will be interesting to note Nissan Kicks numbers for June (and July too). Nissan being the official sponsors, had such great presence in the ad slots with Kicks. Wonder if it had any impact on the consciousness of buying public.
Old 4th July 2019, 14:07   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Most of us would have love to meet NZ in semis but that is quite unlikely considering the form SA has showed. So, in all probability we will meet England in semis. We need luck which we didn't had last time. First, need to win toss, bat first and make 310+. If we lose the toss we need to restrict then max by 280-290. Anything above 300 is very hard to chase in a pressure match like semis.
Against Eng,

If we play in the pitch where NZ vs SA match was held then we can do better and win with our bowling.

If we play in the same Ind vs Eng pitch then toss would be crucial. Hope we go through to the finals
Old 4th July 2019, 14:35   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Against Eng,

If we play in the pitch where NZ vs SA match was held then we can do better and win with our bowling.

If we play in the same Ind vs Eng pitch then toss would be crucial. Hope we go through to the finals
What I have heard so far, the match will be played on a new pitch. Dont think same pitch will be used for a crucial semi final match.
Old 4th July 2019, 14:39   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
You know what, I think it'll be quite the opposite.

Playing on the same pitch affords us the experience of the game where we lost once and to the same opposition. Next time around, we will have the benefit of knowing how the pitch will behave and will also have ample time to strategize and prepare for the challenge.

Don't you think?
Old 4th July 2019, 19:00   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
What I have heard so far, the match will be played on a new pitch. Dont think same pitch will be used for a crucial semi final match.
+1. Semis will be played on different pitch. I remember hearing this from a commentator. Moreover, If u remember IND vs Bangladesh match, there was a green cover on left side of existing pitch, which is most probably being planned for semi finals match.
Old 5th July 2019, 00:23   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
India and Australia have 2 strike bowlers, England has only one, Jofra Archer.
But, India lost wickets to Liam Plunkett��.

Last edited by breezydrive : 5th July 2019 at 00:27.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed