England 74 28.24%
West Indies 17 6.49%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2019, 14:33   #856
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019

The batting coach can only teach to play proper cricketing shots, he cannot be held responsible for batsmen throwing away their wickets, if so, what is Ravi Shastri's responsibility? Kohli must be trying to protect Shastri here, BCCI should either give Kohli a break or sack him from captaincy. BCCI can get some knowledge sharing from experts in Hockey India.
Old 12th July 2019, 15:39   #857
BHPian

The captain and the head coach should be held responsible. If someone has to be axed due to the loss, it has to be either of the two and then look at others. Kohli has never been a good captain except a few times. He himself has told that he consults with Rohit Sharma and Dhoni for field placements and few other options which has quite helped in many matches. Shastri and Kohli was responsible for key decisions and strategies which I doubt will be discussed with others.
Old 12th July 2019, 15:51   #858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
The captain and the head coach should be held responsible. If someone has to be axed due to the loss, it has to be either of the two and then look at others. Kohli has never been a good captain except a few times. He himself has told that he consults with Rohit Sharma and Dhoni for field placements and few other options which has quite helped in many matches. Shastri and Kohli was responsible for key decisions and strategies which I doubt will be discussed with others.
The problem, and the huge elephant in the room, is that unlike when the captaincy was taken from Sachin, Kohli is such an aggressive and overpowering personality that if Rohit is given the ropes there is bound to be massive bad blood, heartburn, politics and groupism and factionism in the team.

I clearly foresee that happening.

Cheers, Doc
Old 12th July 2019, 16:32   #859
Senior - BHPian

If he threatens fine, we are not short of talents in India. I guess between Dhoni and Kohli, there is something going on to demotivate the young players. Kohli did not play a long innings in the WC, his dismissal against England was highly questionable. Dhoni batted down the order, both tried to avoid playing with youngsters. The integrity of Dhoni and Kohli was under suspicion in the World Cup.

Edit: Eddy, something is not right between the top three players.The injury story of Shankar, dropping Shami for semis despite being highest wicket taker, failure to notice the extra fielder during P3, everything looks suspicious.The intensity of criticism too has been very soft after the WC exit. Azhar and Dravid did not have all these privilege.I am sorry but cannot hide my feelings.

Last edited by deehunk : 12th July 2019 at 16:52.
Old 12th July 2019, 16:35   #860
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Dhoni batted down the order, both tried to avoid playing with youngsters. The integrity of Dhoni and Kohli was under suspicion in the World Cup.
Are you serious? Integrity of MSD and Kohli?
Old 12th July 2019, 16:41   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The batting coach can only teach to play proper cricketing shots, he cannot be held responsible for batsmen throwing away their wickets,
It seems Sanjay Bangar, the batting coach decided the batting line ups for all the matches and it was his decision to send Dhoni at No 7 in the semi-final.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
Kohli has never been a good captain except a few times. He himself has told that he consults with Rohit Sharma and Dhoni for field placements and few other options which has quite helped in many matches.
That leaves only the toss and post-match interview for the captain.
Old 12th July 2019, 16:54   #862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The intensity of criticism too after the WC exit has been very soft, remember how Azhar and Dravid were targeted. I am sorry but cannot hide my feelings.
Probably shows that Indians have become mature enough to understand that its a game in the end!

But I do agree that the performance of the team were below par compared to the expectations. Team was carried to the semis by the bowlers with help from top order batsmen. Cracks in the middle order were kind of a ongoing patch work starting from couple of years back and continued all through the world cup. Only issue for me was/is the form of Dhoni. For all supporters of Dhoni and who says that expecting him to score while others didnt is incorrect. Expectation of him being the senior in the middle order is to take ownership and show intent and not struggle to even get singles (which happened many times). It also probably didn't help that the team management didn't define his role correctly in the team nor sent him as a regular no 4/5.

Anyway I think as others have suggested its time for some small changes to be done in the team. Dhoni for one should move on, Kohli probably removed from captaincy in ODI and t20's. For tests I still support him. And finally fix the middle order starting now.
Old 12th July 2019, 17:18   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Probably shows that Indians have become mature enough to understand that its a game in the end!

Expectation of him being the senior in the middle order is to take ownership and show intent and not struggle to even get singles (which happened many times). The team management didn't define his role correctly in the team nor sent him as a regular no 4/5.
This is why I questioned his integrity, the team management was a package of spoiled thoughts. Dhoni was influential enough to override their decision, he preferred to be silent.
Old 12th July 2019, 17:22   #864
BHPian

What's the big deal? I find India's perform alright. Losing 3 wickets in the first five overs, isnt strange, it can happen to any team, and India did not lose without a fight. We had hopes till the 47th over.

Rishabh Pant played well in the beginning, when Dinesh Kartik was horrible, seriously a walking wicket. Hardik Pandya too played well, but the fact the scoring rate was increasing meant he had to go for the big shots.

It was a good decision to send Dhoni down the order, as he would have played many dots, further increasing the pressure. Dhoni had hit just one four and a six in his entire innings. He was clearly struggling to clear the gaps. This when Jadeja was cruising along the other side.

If Dinesh Karthik and Dhoni would have taken singles, for atleast half their dots, India would have won the match comfortably. This is not the 1st time this is happening.
Old 12th July 2019, 17:47   #865
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The intensity of criticism too has been very soft after the WC exit.
Reason being it wasn't a meek surrender like it was against Pakistan in that Champions Trophy Final! Atleast they went down fighting against NZ which is what saved them from extreme criticism.
The least what most cricket fans expected was a semi final birth. After that how you play on that given day is what matters. I don't see a fit case for Kohli to be dropped as captain after winning 7 & losing 2 games!
Old 12th July 2019, 18:04   #866
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think that Kohli or anyone in the team is to be blamed as a player. If at all, it is the captain, selectors and team management who have failed to set up a proper middle batting order in quite some time now. Heads may roll, few scapegoats will be taken to guillotine and that will not include any player for sure.

For the semi-finals, it was a bad day for Indian Team and as some others have pointed, that too we didn't let go without giving a good fight. And that is the beauty of knock out games which makes the tournament interesting.

PS: Sad for the ousting from WC but I'm happy that we beat Pakistan convincingly.
Old 12th July 2019, 18:14   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
In this world cup, there seems to be a definite advantage in batting first.

Also, after 2007, the hosts have won all world cups. In the two cases where the world cup was co-hosted, the final was played between the hosts.

Both are not healthy trends for cricket, in my opinion.
Well, luck plays an important role in cricket. Even though you may be the best team but you may end up not winning the Cup. And even though hosts maybe winning it, it is more of a reflection of them being good and having the odd luck along the way.
2007, 2011, 2015 were won by the best teams in the tournament for sure. This edition pretty much everyone believes India has the best team but one hour of madness cost them a knockout - you hope those things happen in the league stages and not semis or finals. But it is what it is.
Old 12th July 2019, 18:19   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Sanjay Bangar’s role as batting coach under the scanner after India’s World Cup exit[/url]
If any one of the coaching staff is asked to go...it has to be the head coach first .

My 2 paise - if someone wanted a solid no. 4, it should have been Ajinkya Rahane...just had to give him the confidence in few matches before the WC and he would have come good.
Old 12th July 2019, 18:58   #869
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Only 2 members are aware of the scenario that there were 6 fielders outside the circle during P3, allegedly even when Dhoni was on strike for the ball which got him run out
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 View Post
It seems the ball that got Dhoni run out was a no ball. Though he would have been given out, who knows how it would have changed the course of the game. Umpiring needs some serious improvement in cricket.

Link: https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...rld-cup/451973
That was a graphical error made by the broadcaster. Actually there was only 5 fielders not 6 as claimed by the socia medias.
The mid-wicket moved to deep mid-wicket after the first ball was bowled, which was correctly displayed in the graphic. However, the movement of the third man fielder to short third man position was not displayed on the graphic in real-time. Hence, it showed 6 men outside the 30-yard circle whereas there were actually 5 men. There was no umpiring error. There was a graphical error in the broadcast.

The error by the broadcaster has been highlighted with a yellow circle in the image, posted below.

credits : https://www.altnews.in/fact-checking...-restrictions/
Attached Thumbnails
ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019-3.jpg  

ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019-comarison.jpg  

Old 12th July 2019, 19:13   #870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Hahaha, if that is indeed true, it is the greatest thing to happen! But me thinks it is more cause people are interested in Instagram/selfies/images of food/places etc

I am guessing many of us are rooting for NZ in the finals? Would be nice to see them win actually. I remember the wonderful days of Martin Crowe - what a batsman.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks