Sri Lanka 0 0%
England 74 28.24%
West Indies 17 6.49%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12th July 2019, 19:24   #871
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019

Integrity of Dhoni and Kohli in question. Wow. Never expected this from here. I maybe one of the biggest Dhoni hater in last couple of years but there is no doubt the man is a Legend and has won all the limited overs trophies internationally. He shouldn't have played this world cup considering his struggle since past 1 year. He performed as per his current capability and we can't question him on that. He is old, reflexes are slow, hitting power is slow, even his running between wickets is slow. Time for him to move on.

And Kohli can have attitude issues on field but his commitment towards team and its members is unquestionable. His strategy and tactics may need improvements but we can't question his integrity.

Anyways, what's done is done. Need to develop a new team with lots of new blood. Old horses like kartik, jadhav should be exiled. Get iyer, gill, shaw in the set up. Give keeping to Pant and develop him. Would like change of coach but dont see it happening. Kohli will also stay as captain.
Old 12th July 2019, 19:56   #872
BHPian

Kohli isn't the best man for strategy... there's no doubt about that. He struggles with strategy when MS or Rohit aren't around. Just look at the RCB squad and their performance over the years.

Rohit and MS on the other hand can get their respective teams to punch above their weight.

Kohli is still our best batsman across formats and sacking him as captain might result in him not being the batsman that he is. It's a very tricky situation for the powers that be. Rohit is the best man to be captain but he doesn't play test cricket and at 32 years old, has only 3-4 years of primetime left. Will he be around for the 2023 WC? Will he be a burden on the team in 4 years or will he be the powerhouse that he is today? All valid and tough questions. I think they will take the safe option and stick with Kohli as captain.

As for the middle order, I think Pant cannot bat any higher than #6. Esp with the way he throws his wicket away in every game. Pandya cannot bat higher than 7. Basically these two clowns can only come into bat after the 30th/35th over.

It's time we give Shreyas Iyer an extended run in the team. I suspect he will be on the flight to the WI.

The ODI lineup according to me should be

1) Rohit
2) Dhawan
3) Virat
4) Shreyas
5) ??? (a batsman who can bowl a few overs if required) (are we missing Yuvraj/Raina or what)
6) Pant
7) Pandya
8) Jadeja
9) Bhuvi/Shami
10) Chahal
11) Bumrah

Last edited by HKap : 12th July 2019 at 20:00. Reason: added to the comment
Old 12th July 2019, 21:05   #873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Integrity of Dhoni and Kohli in question. Wow. Never expected this from here. I maybe one of the biggest Dhoni hater in last couple of years but there is no doubt the man is a Legend and has won all the limited overs trophies internationally.
I have shared my opinion here, crediting all wins to one individual is never good in sports. We have not won any major tournament since 2013 apart from Asia Cup. My outburst was because of making Sanjay Bangar a scape goat for messing up the batting order. The problem started after BCCI slept over Kumble's humiliating exit, was it right for Kohli to show his dissent against Kumble for not giving lenience?

I have been following cricket from 3 decades and no players have been given such a free run. Jadeja put up a brave fight, but what did Dhoni do after being on the field for 25 overs. He even denied strike to Bhuvi, we have had enough of this solo drama from last 2 years.
Old 12th July 2019, 23:52   #874
Senior - BHPian

India needs a coach who can groom youngsters like Prithvi, Gill and Pant. This is the right time to build a backup for No.1,2, 4 and 5th position. Shikar and Rohit may/may not play 2023 WC, but Kohli will be there. Shreyas Iyer and Mayank should play more matches, don't brand them as Test match players. Why was Suresh Raina let to go down? He contributed so much in 2011 WC in the middle order along with Yuvraj. Ravi Shastri's contract is due for review sometime this year, a full-time coach who can instill confidence and discipline in the youngsters is needed. Kohli's on field attitude should not influence the youngsters, he has to calm down in the interest of the team.

Last edited by deehunk : 12th July 2019 at 23:59.
Old 13th July 2019, 00:45   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The problem, and the huge elephant in the room, is that unlike when the captaincy was taken from Sachin, Kohli is such an aggressive and overpowering personality that if Rohit is given the ropes there is bound to be massive bad blood, heartburn, politics and groupism and factionism in the team.

I clearly foresee that happening.

Cheers, Doc

It's underway - Factions in Team India, players unhappy with Ravi Shastri-Bharat Arun combo - Report

Quote:
A report in Dainik Jagran states that there are two factions in the team, one supporting skipper Kohli and the other owing its allegiance to his deputy Rohit Sharma, but there is no division in the team. The report also states that there is bias in selection of players.

The report states that only those part of ‘Virat Company’ or those who are performing consistently, like Rohit and Jasprit Bumrah, will get a chance of playing in the team. Quoting a member of the Indian team, the report further mentions that there is a strong bias towards KL Rahul, who is backed by the team management even when he is not performing.
Old 13th July 2019, 01:13   #876
BHPian

Guys let's keep this tread to the world cup.
To discuss what ails Indian Cricket, must be a separate thread itself.
Old 13th July 2019, 01:39   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Guys let's keep this tread to the world cup.
To discuss what ails Indian Cricket, must be a separate thread itself.
Sure, this WC exposed lot of things which were suppressed for last 3 years. I think few members were shocked by my comments on integrity, please understand why I wrote those words. There cannot be division without faction, why point out Rahul alone when there are other dead horses. Virat has been lucky to play against below par teams. let's see how we perform on the West Indies tour. I am off this thread

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cri...356-2019-07-10

Last edited by deehunk : 13th July 2019 at 01:43.
Old 13th July 2019, 08:43   #878
Distinguished - BHPian

What terrific grace and humility by Kane Williamson; he's demonstrated time and again how he's one of the best leaders out there.

Quote:
“Yeah, I hope they’re not too angry. Obviously, the passion for the game in India is unrivalled and we are all fortunate to play this sport and have a country like India be right behind it and the support that they have for their home team,” Williamson said.

“Hopefully we can adopt 1.5 billion supporters and they’ll be supporting us, what do you reckon,” he politely enquired.
https://www.huffingtonpost.in/entry/...b0cfb596012348

I'm rooting for a NZ win!
Old 13th July 2019, 10:46   #879
Senior - BHPian

Let's call it a day on this thread. The world cup is over. We lost.

Cheers, Doc
Old 13th July 2019, 11:07   #880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let's call it a day on this thread. The world cup is over. We lost.

Cheers, Doc
It's not over as Final has still to be played. And I believe most of us are cricket fans and not only Indian team fans. Win and loss are part of sport.

On that note I will be supporting NZ tomorrow as I like them better than England. Although match is 70/30 in favor of England. NZ will have to display a masterclass to beat them.

Also, I wish we had a Tennis thread. Yesterday's match between Rafa and Federer was amazing to watch. It's a revelation that at 37 Federer is playing another Wimbledon final. Truly the greatest.
Old 13th July 2019, 11:14   #881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's not over as Final has still to be played. And I believe most of us are cricket fans and not only Indian team fans. Win and loss are part of sport.

On that note I will be supporting NZ tomorrow as I like them better than England. Although match is 70/30 in favor of England. NZ will have to display a masterclass to beat them.

Also, I wish we had a Tennis thread. Yesterday's match between Rafa and Federer was amazing to watch. It's a revelation that at 37 Federer is playing another Wimbledon final. Truly the greatest.
I watch sport for those I cheer for. When those are gone, that sport is over for me.

F1 ended with Michael.

MotoGP will end with Valentino.

Tennis ended a long time ago with Boris.

I vote that we shut this thread down and bury it. And start a new one for general Indian cricket politics and miscellaneous post-mortem analyses.

Cheers, Doc
Old 13th July 2019, 11:17   #882
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Cricket is our first love, but we've got you covered - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...is-thread.html (The Tennis Thread)

Quote:
I vote that we shut this thread down and bury it. And start a new one for general Indian cricket politics and miscellaneous post-mortem analyses.

Cheers, Doc

Vote noted, but this thread will run its course till the world champions are decided.

For everything else, there is https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...et-thread.html (The Cricket Thread)

Last edited by Eddy : 13th July 2019 at 11:19.
Old 13th July 2019, 11:20   #883
Senior - BHPian

Ok. Back to the cycling section for me.

And another 4 years of smashing teams on Indian pitches.

Cheers, Doc
Old 14th July 2019, 21:02   #884
Senior - BHPian

How come no one's watching the Final!!!

A tough phase just got over with a boundary from Bairstrow only to be bowled next ball
Game on!!
Old 14th July 2019, 21:11   #885
Distinguished - BHPian

Watching, watching!

Am rooting for the Black Caps to win. Unlikely, since England is a strong enough side to get 241 even from 75/3. But hope springs eternal!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed