England 74 28.24%
West Indies 17 6.49%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2019, 00:17   #901
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019

What a match! It couldn't have been scripted better! Tied match and tied superover too! With Nothing to separate, In the end it was luck that decided the winner IMO. Anyway, it's only fair that the better balanced team won!
Old 15th July 2019, 00:18   #902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Thank God we lost the semis. Losing like this in the finals would have been...... I can't even imagine
Dont worry. India never had this much fight in them what NZ and England both showed. Our Tuk tuk master would have botched it long back.

Anyways, NZ deserved to win. But, England had all the luck of the world. Also, this deciding winner by who has hit more boundaries is absolutely ridiculous. Both teams made same runs. Match is tied even in super over. So, share the trophy. As simple as that.
Old 15th July 2019, 00:19   #903
BHPian

So England becomes the first team to win the world cup without winning the final !
Old 15th July 2019, 00:26   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Also, this deciding winner by who has hit more boundaries is absolutely ridiculous. Both teams made same runs. Match is tied even in super over. So, share the trophy. As simple as that.
Well said. Boundaries should not be the deciding factor. What about fall of wickets? England were all out while New Zealand were 8 down after 50 overs. Ideally the trophy should be shared.
Old 15th July 2019, 00:34   #905
BHPian

Congratulations, England!! Fantastic tournament! I guess when we look at the past 8 weeks, maybe England was marginally better than New Zealand. The way England has been playing ODIs for the past couple of years has been phenomenal. They were the best prepared team, and they go home with the cup!!
Old 15th July 2019, 00:44   #906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Well said. Boundaries should not be the deciding factor. What about fall of wickets? England were all out while New Zealand were 8 down after 50 overs. Ideally the trophy should be shared.
Not shared, but indeed a second super over or something like that makes more sense.
Old 15th July 2019, 05:21   #907
Senior - BHPian

A great end to the World cup! England deserved to be winners. It was intense, especially after Buttler was dismissed during the chase.

A thing of contention for me is the overthrow off the bat of Stokes. While I wouldn't say that NZ lost the game just because of that (Trent Boult could have got hit for 2 sixes or got 2 wickets after that,) I will tell you that NZ was very unlucky. Overthrows are meant to penalize the fielding side when they are careless. In this case, it was an accident and was not intentional from Stokes. It should have been declared as a single or a double and not a six.

I hope this comes up in the next MCC meeting and they find a solution to fix this.
Old 15th July 2019, 08:54   #908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
The result of a Cricket game is always decided on runs scored by a team...The tie has to be broken someway or the other. There are rules laid out before the tournament all teams agree to that and a formal sign-off is made too between the national boards. For the world cup, the following image from the attached rule book is the basis to break the tie.
ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019-capture.jpg

I don't think it is ridiculous because I read it this way. After the teams are tied on runs, whichever team has bowled well and fielded better and conceded less boundaries are declared winners. This is the same logic in the counting back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
It should have been declared as a single or a double and not a six.
I hope this comes up in the next MCC meeting and they find a solution to fix this.
I don't see any problem to find a solution for. The batsmen completed 2 runs and due to the overthrow the ball reached the boundary which gave them an additional 4 runs. 2+4 is 6. If it had happened when the batsmen were taking the first run, it would've been 5. It is a different thing that it was unintentional and it was sad for NewZealand, but it was an overthrow at the end of the day!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ICC-CWC19-Playing-Conditions.pdf (594.5 KB, 225 views)
Old 15th July 2019, 09:12   #909
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The result of a Cricket game is always decided on runs scored by a team...The tie has to be broken someway or the other. There are rules laid out before the tournament all teams agree to that and a formal sign-off is made too between the national boards. For the world cup, the following image from the attached rule book is the basis to break the tie.
Agreed the rules were made before the tournament started and all teams signed on it. But to decide the winner on the basis on boundaries doesn't make any sense. Both teams scored the same number of runs. One team scored more in boundaries while the other did it with better running and rotation of the strike. Ultimately it led to the same result. Now with runs tied ideally it should be the team that took more wickets that should be declared winners. Cricket is all about scoring runs and taking wickets. I am OK with the idea of a super over, but when even that is tied, it should be wickets not boundaries.

Does that Ben Stokes overthrow boundary count in those 'boundaries'?

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 15th July 2019 at 09:13. Reason: Got the answer in above post
Old 15th July 2019, 09:30   #910
Senior - BHPian

What a match. Exhilerating.

I would put it this way. England deserved to win the cup, New Zealand deserved to win this match. The way they lost the match without actually losing it is a bit cruel though. I would not call it unfair. The rules were laid out before the tournament and were followed accordingly.
I think number of wickets could have been a betyer indicator of victor in such situations, but one can argue that match is not lost on number of wickets picked but on the number or total runs scored.

What they could have done is perhaps have another super over with different set of players. And even then of it ends in a tie, just share the damn cup!

However a fantastic end to the world cup and England truly have been the number one ODI side for months now.
Old 15th July 2019, 09:40   #911
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I am OK with the idea of a super over, but when even that is tied, it should be wickets not boundaries.
Completely agree. In the instance where team are tied on runs scored, the team that managed to attain that total with keeping more wickets intact should be awarded.

Celebrating the team that scored more boundaries kinda promotes the entertainment aspect of the game.
Old 15th July 2019, 09:41   #912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
But to decide the winner on the basis on boundaries doesn't make any sense.
The team which bowled better and fielded better and hence restricted the other team from scoring more boundaries wins. Logically it makes sense to me.
Of course I agree taking wickets is also restricting the opposition and it takes much more effort. Logically each team gets 10 batsmen (wickets), whether you use all of them or not to score some amount of runs, is up to you!
What happened yesterday is a rare occurrence (and I really feel sad for NZ) and if this becomes less rare, possibly then ICC will look into it.

Quote:
Does that Ben Stokes overthrow boundary count in those 'boundaries'?
No it doesn't. It is credited to Stokes but counted as runs...as if he had run those 6 runs.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 15th July 2019 at 09:52.
Old 15th July 2019, 10:07   #913
BHPian

Phenomenal match! Easily the best world cup final ever! While I could go on about the match itself, I'd like to congratulate both the teams on the level of sportsmanship on display. They showed the world that cricket is indeed a gentleman's game. With the over throw 2+4, imagine the ruckus our team would have created! Dhoni was once fined for coming onto the field after he was dismissed, to argue with the umpires. Kohli would probably have punched the umpires.

After watching the match yesterday, I'm glad we didnt make it to the finals.
Old 15th July 2019, 10:27   #914
Senior - BHPian

They should have given the world cup to the team which topped the table

Really exciting match. I think the overthrow rule is stupid. If obstruction was not intentional, you shouldn't penalize the fielding team either. Too much of excitement last night with wimbledon also being played the way it was.
Old 15th July 2019, 10:28   #915
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel for NZ. These guys played very well, held their nerves. Their fighting spirit could have brought down only by such a cruel rule & a couple of bad luck moments (like that overthrow and catch at the boundary line).

England played no less, but ideally this was a final where the trophy should have been shared. In fact, if it was a rain washout game, the trophy was supposed to be shared; isn't it? So what was the problem when teams tied in the main game and also the super-over? Declaring a winner on the basis of boundaries hit, though a predetermined rule, is as stupid as it can get. Why not take into account the wickets? The rule is heavily skewed towards batting aspect.

Both teams deserved the trophy equally. Heart breaking for NZ to lose a World Cup final like this.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed