England 74 28.24%
West Indies 17 6.49%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2019, 18:59   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019

I think South Africa have still managed to get a score which is not beyond India's capability to loose.

But this is the best opportunity to start off the campaign with a win. I hope this will also set the tone for our bowling. I did expect to see shami in the team instead of Bhuvi if playing only 2 pacers.
Old 5th June 2019, 21:44   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Bangladesh and Pakistan can upset India with their current form. India can face a tough challenge from West Indies if batting first on a green top wicket.
I agree, a semis spot is not going to be a cakewalk for India, as many pundits seem to suggest.

My guess for the semis is England, Australia, Pakistan and NZ/Windies
Old 5th June 2019, 23:33   #123
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

India start off with a win

South African batting failed yet again (their top order) and even their fielding was way off the usually high standards they display on the field.
Old 5th June 2019, 23:36   #124
PPS
Senior - BHPian

An ideal start for Team India in the World Cup. A good, hard fought, grinding win!

No Ngidi & Steyn helped, else we might have been in some trouble. Once Rabada & Morris finished their first spell, things eased off a fair bit.

This is the worst fielding unit of SA that i've seen in the last 2 decades!
Old 5th June 2019, 23:49   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I agree, a semis spot is not going to be a cakewalk for India, as many pundits seem to suggest.

My guess for the semis is England, Australia, Pakistan and NZ/Windies
You must be kidding me. Pakistan.. what!!
Just because they somehow managed to defeat England doesn't mean they haven't been literally rubbish in some time. They will be lucky to compete with Afghanistan and Bangladesh for last 3 spots.

India will surely make the semis.

Great start today. Rohits return to form is great news. Though we need Dhawan to fire asap too. Bowling was great, fielding consistent. Only sore point was Kohli missing out but he will make it count against his favorite opponent next match, the Australians.
Old 5th June 2019, 23:53   #126
Team-BHP Support

I think SA is making incorrect decisions at the toss. Bowling first on a batting track against BD and batting today on a seaming track.

That said, I don't see how they can recover from this. Tell you the truth, SA would have lost this very badly had Morris not played well today. He's not that very often consistently for SA and if he doesn't fire like this again, SA will be in trouble.

Also, anyone noticed the similarities in the bowling attacks today ?
Bumrah = Rabada
Chahal = Tahir
Kuldeep = Shamsi
Hardik = Phehlukwayo

Ultimately, it was the talent of "Sharmaji ka ladka" that won it for us..... and some good luck
Old 6th June 2019, 08:46   #127
Oxy
BHPian

The Australia game on Sunday is a very crucial one. Definitely Australia are the favorites, but if we somehow manage to pull that off, we will be pretty much guaranteed a place in the semis (assuming we avoid any upset).

I expect us to win against the likes of Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Pakistan and West Indies.

Last edited by Oxy : 6th June 2019 at 08:48.
Old 6th June 2019, 09:26   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

After growing up watching our cricket team through the 90s I felt like crying (with joy), one attacking fast bowler, another accurate and containing one, two good spinners and two part-timers who are able to finish their quota of 10 overs, so this is finally what it means to have a 'bowling attack'!

Still not a dominant one, one more out and out wicket-taking pacer needed. But pretty good stuff for our team! Factually now, is this really the best attack we've ever had? I'm inclined to think so, but just because the media keep saying so, I'm having my doubts!
Old 6th June 2019, 09:41   #129
Senior - BHPian

What a crazily slow match. I was tearing my hair out waiting for the runs to get scored and the match to end, especially towards the middle overs. Wicket seemed to have gotten really slow in the second innings.

Perhaps, we are spoiled by the quick pace of 20-20 cricket, but sometimes, 50 overs of slow scoring cricket becomes pretty difficult to watch. Overall, the expected result and a good start to the Indian campaign.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 6th June 2019 at 09:42.
Old 6th June 2019, 10:11   #130
Senior - BHPian

Just get a feeling that Afghanistan might upset SA. Looking at their current batting lineup, the tail starts after Du Plessis. They seem to struggle against spin.
Old 6th June 2019, 13:16   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Just get a feeling that Afghanistan might upset SA. Looking at their current batting lineup, the tail starts after Du Plessis. They seem to struggle against spin.
Afghanistan lost an easy match to Sri Lanka, they are dependent on Shahzad to provide explosive start but the middle order batsmen are not consistent.
Old 6th June 2019, 13:19   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
What a crazily slow match. I was tearing my hair out waiting for the runs to get scored and the match to end, especially towards the middle overs. Wicket seemed to have gotten really slow in the second innings.

Perhaps, we are spoiled by the quick pace of 20-20 cricket, but sometimes, 50 overs of slow scoring cricket becomes pretty difficult to watch. Overall, the expected result and a good start to the Indian campaign.
On the contrary I quite enjoyed the tussle between bat and ball. Mindless flat pitches with slogging all the way gets boring. This was a perfect pitch where all runs had to be earned. Rohit played a very mature innings.

Although I will agree with you that 50 overs gets tad boring and 20-20 is more fun to watch.

Hopefully west indies will give a shocker today to aussies. The are certainly capable of it.
Old 6th June 2019, 13:28   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, now there's a report that apparently ABdV 'offered' to come out of retirement and play in the WC for SA!

Crazy timing of this report, makes it suspect. But assuming this is true, and no doubting ABD's talent, but IMHO the team management did the right thing not to entertain this offer when it was made, apparently 24 hrs before the team selection was announced. This is still a team game and no one, no matter even a cricket genius like ABD, should just be given a free ticket at the last minute. If he had decided a year earlier and gone through the required matches like the rest, then yes.

Or do teams need to make exceptions for talent like this? Obviously given how bad SA are doing right now, there will be an emotional 'what if', but objectively, what do you guys think?

Last edited by am1m : 6th June 2019 at 13:29.
Old 6th June 2019, 13:40   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
....Or do teams need to make exceptions for talent like this? Obviously given how bad SA are doing right now, there will be an emotional 'what if', but objectively, what do you guys think?
There have been instances in test cricket where cricketers came out of retirement to serve the team's cause. I can think of Bobby Simpson as an example. Even Colin Cowdrey came out of retirement to handle Jeff Thompson.
Not sure if there are such cases in ODI

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th June 2019 at 15:37. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 6th June 2019, 14:58   #135
Senior - BHPian

In the other match yday between New Zealand and Bangladesh, the black caps were give a scare by the Bangla tigers and it would have a been a big upset had New Zealand been beaten.

Shakib is proving to be a good all rounder coming good with bat and ball in this match. I guess on the fast pitches, its the spinners who are the biggest winners.

The matches till date are proving that bowlers are winning the matches rather than the batsmen.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks