England 74 28.24%
West Indies 17 6.49%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:29   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019

I am convinced that the future of 50-50 is bleak. Tests and T20s will remain the only important formats. I don't remember a WC which was more underwhelming (except 2007).

Either that, or I am getting old
Old 2nd June 2019, 13:15   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I am convinced that the future of 50-50 is bleak. Tests and T20s will remain the only important formats. I don't remember a WC which was more underwhelming (except 2007).

True. It's a pain to watch 50 overs games and most people like me don't have so much time to devote to it as well. T20 is more fun and less time consuming.
Old 2nd June 2019, 18:31   #93
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangladesh heading towards a 300+ score against South Africa , this should be interesting. Just hope South African batting doesn't choke and collapse.
Old 2nd June 2019, 18:32   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Bangladesh heading towards a 300+ score against South Africa , this should be interesting. Just hope South African batting doesn't choke and collapse.
I hope they choke and choke as usual.. their confidence will be way down when they meet us on 5th June..
Old 2nd June 2019, 22:53   #95
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangladesh on the brink of another famous victory, this will be the first upset in this world cup.

Selfishly, I hope this loss doesn't spur South Africa to play extremely well against India.

Edit:South African chase ends at 309-8 giving Bangladesh a win!

Last edited by NPV : 2nd June 2019 at 22:59.
Old 2nd June 2019, 23:24   #96
Senior - BHPian

Bangladesh played extremely well today. SA needs something special to fix their batting.

I hope this victory doesn't make Bangladeshis super proud and arrogant. When they lose their level-headedness, they start failing miserably.
Old 3rd June 2019, 09:20   #97
BHPian

Though media may portray this win as ‘upset’, I never had any doubt that SA will struggle against Bangla. SA team is on decline and at the same time Bangla is playing some of their best white ball best cricket since last couple of years. They are unlucky to lose some of the close matches. Though most of their players remain same, they are playing fearless cricket, probably taking leaf out of England book?
On a different note, any idea why India is not playing until 5th when most of the teams must have already played their second game by that time (In fact, SA will be playing their 3rd game!)? Did BCCI requested them to delay their first match so that they will get enough rest after grueling IPL season?
Old 3rd June 2019, 09:46   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
On a different note, any idea why India is not playing until 5th when most of the teams must have already played their second game by that time (In fact, SA will be playing their 3rd game!)? Did BCCI requested them to delay their first match so that they will get enough rest after grueling IPL season?
The Justice Lodha committee had mandated a minimum gap between IPL finals and the next international assignment, hence this scheduling.
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:24   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is exactly the reason. Indian cricket and anything to do with it is the biggest money spinner as far as the ICC is concerned and hence, ICC will bend over backward in order to honour any request from BCCI, as far as its doable.

I am sure this initial period of a week or so serves as an important recuperation period for Indian team.
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:34   #100
BHPian

Quote:
The Justice Lodha committee had mandated a minimum gap between IPL finals and the next international assignment, hence this scheduling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
That is exactly the reason. Indian cricket and anything to do with it is the biggest money spinner as far as the ICC is concerned and hence, ICC will bend over backward in order to honour any request from BCCI, as far as its doable.
Thanks for the information.
Knowing BCCI’s clout in ICC, this is no surprise then. Players from other countries also played in IPL, but only India got the preferential treatment, why not SA, why not WI?
This is plain bullying from BCCI through its money power, if not anything else.
I can’t think of any sport where this could happen!
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:44   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Agree. The Cricket World Cup is on, and there is absolutely 0 interest in it around here in Australia. Not a word being spoken about it at work among colleagues, and no advertising blitz seen on TV too. Never seen a more lacklustre World Cup.

It may pick up as the tournament progresses, but for now..
Old 3rd June 2019, 11:44   #102
BHPian

In previous WCs there used to be 2 games per day so more viewers would get hooked in... Now except for weekends there is just one game per day and if that game turns out boring, it's a dull day. Moreover, this limiting teams to 10 is such a stupid idea! WC is supposed to be a cricket spectacle where more countries tune in not the contrary!

With SL and Pak in tatters, Ireland and Zimbabwe or any other associate team could have provided more excitement.
Old 3rd June 2019, 11:47   #103
BHPian

I was keenly following Bangladesh - South Africa match. Certainly, Bangladesh played extremely well after losing the toss from the first ball. They stayed positive after losing the toss and put into bat and hit good runs in the final 4-5 overs. Feel sorry for SA who won the toss in the 2 matches which turned out good for the opposition teams (Eng & Ban).

What I hate about Bangladesh team is its over enthusiasm and celebration after winning matches and from their fans too (Naagin dance which I did not see on TV yesterday from the players). Many of us remember how the team behaved after beating Sri Lanka in Nidahas Series.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...amaged-colombo

Hopefully they stay composed and put up a good show in this world cup.
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:15   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Knowing BCCI’s clout in ICC, this is no surprise then. Players from other countries also played in IPL, but only India got the preferential treatment, why not SA, why not WI?
What is wrong in this happening? For a change, we have power and we are looking out for our players. A little bullying never hurt anyone

It happens in every sport, just that we are on the receiving end most of the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Agree. The Cricket World Cup is on, and there is absolutely 0 interest in it around here in Australia. Not a word being spoken about it at work among colleagues, and no advertising blitz seen on TV too. Never seen a more lacklustre World Cup.

It may pick up as the tournament progresses, but for now..
Duh, that's only because you guys are almost the default winners of the World Cup. It'll be news only if you don't win.

Last edited by Eddy : 3rd June 2019 at 12:16.
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:50   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't see this as bullying or preferential treatment. India playing there match a week after world cup has started isn't hurting anyone. Is it? In fact you guys are seeing it the wrong way. i feel this is a blessing in disguise. We will be playing almost till the end of league stage so we will know exactly how many points we need to qualify and at what run rate. It's an advantage from team point of view. Of course as fans we wanted to see India play sooner. Plus it has given much needed rest to our players.

Anyways coming to today's match.

90% people believe England will win. Rest 10% are Pakistanis fans.

Personally I would like Pakistan to win. It will do 2 things.

1. Burst Englands bubble of being invincible ( they look really solid though).

2. Create excitement in an otherwise dull tournament so far.

However, for that England has to play quite shitty and Pakistan to play extraordinarily well. let's see..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed