West Indies 17 6.49%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2019, 00:25   #241
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019

Williamson led New Zealand from the front to a win and also got his century, South Africa had their moments and missed many chances but still managed to make it a close game that went to the last over only to be overshadowed by Kane Williamson's heroics.
Old 20th June 2019, 00:27   #242
BHPian

One of the better matches in this world cup, when most of the games have either been washed our or awfully onesided.
South Africa had huge potential, but they are one of the unluckiest teams in cricketing history, sad about them
Old 20th June 2019, 04:32   #243
Senior - BHPian

I'd love to see the MoM got to Colin de Grandhomme. He played a firecracker of an innings on a difficult pitch and caused disruption in RSAs bowling lineup. They wouldn't have without Williamson's century though.

I honestly think that RSAs cricket has gone to the dogs because of the quota system, overhauling the domestic cricketing tournament, lack of financial security and the Kolpak deals. There was recently a tweet about a Kolpak 11 that could potentially beat the current team.

Match fixing scandals aside, losing a test series to a weak Lankan side at Home is the all time low of their cricketing history after readmission.
Old 20th June 2019, 09:59   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

I always thought that one of the main reasons that Australia were so dominant for so long was that they jumped into the decision-by-numbers and the fitter cricketers game much before any other team. (The notable exception being Warne, who always expressed his disregard for such things, but he was a genius at what he did.) And they started during an era when Ranatunga and Inzy (much respect to them, but...) were acceptable as international cricketing standard.

This article shows how other teams have caught up and am very, very happy to see we've caught up too!

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...ving-more-runs

One excerpt from that article:

"Overall, how do you assess a fielder?

There are five main parameters I log data on - interception (clean, fumble, misfield); throws (good, direct hit, off target); catches (grade one, two, three); run-outs (direct hits or run-outs with assists); runs (saved, given).

Using all that data, the net productivity (PR) of a player is calculated. That is the ratio of success to other outcomes, including on-field errors. Higher the productivity ratio, better the impact the player has had on the field.

The net PR is calculated at the end of the innings. Say X player fields 24 balls and he picks 21 up cleanly but fumbles three. Then PR is 24 divided by 21, which is 0.87. Similarly, calculations are made for throws and catches. I communicate to the squad by putting on our WhatsApp group the names of the best fielders - who saved the most runs, who took more runs, what was each one's PR and such."

----------------------------------

Apart from the minnows, I think the Windies and Pakistan lack this structured, numbers and fitness-driven approach and it shows on the field.

I never miss a chance to watch a Test match live when one is scheduled in Bangalore. On TV, everyone can look like a good fielder because of the close ups (unless a player fumbles obviously), but the differences become obvious when you see them in action live. One test match between NZ and us, 2011 or 2012 I think, the difference between some of our guys and the NZ fielders were very, very obvious. Guys like McCullum were absolutely electric in the field, they moved and even walked around like athletes. But this WC, we're looking really good as a fielding side.

Last edited by am1m : 20th June 2019 at 10:13.
Old 20th June 2019, 10:05   #245
BHPian

I hope Australia lose today. Else, the remaining group matches will be reduced to a mere formality and the top 4 will be realistically out of reach of the remaining teams.
Old 20th June 2019, 10:30   #246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
but they are one of the unluckiest teams in cricketing history, sad about them
It is not bad luck, except maybe 1992.

They don't do well under pressure and they have a quota system - prevents them from playing the best 11 (like in the WC2015 semi-final) and leads to players going the Kolpak way.
Old 20th June 2019, 11:17   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

I honestly think that RSAs cricket has gone to the dogs because of the quota system, overhauling the domestic cricketing tournament, lack of financial security and the Kolpak deals. There was recently a tweet about a Kolpak 11 that could potentially beat the current team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
It is not bad luck, except maybe 1992.

They don't do well under pressure and they have a quota system - prevents them from playing the best 11 (like in the WC2015 semi-final) and leads to players going the Kolpak way.
What is the quota system in SA? Could anyone of you elaborate? How does it work? What is Kolpak?

I watch matches but don't focus on the domestic issues in each of the countries.
Old 20th June 2019, 11:48   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
What is Kolpak?.
Its the law named after a handball player from Slovakia which allows a player born in a country to play for another country and not be considered as a overseas player, read more @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kolpak_cricketers & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolpak_ruling
Old 20th June 2019, 12:05   #249
Senior - BHPian

Let's be honest. This has been a boring world cup. Rain abandoning matches, so many one sided matches, the league format. All these have contributed in dullness. And even when we are just at halfway stage the 4 semi finalists have been decided. India, NZ, Aus, England. We can hope for an upset here and there but I don't see anyone breaching the top 4 now. The thrill and anxiety is greatly missing this time around. Maybe ICC will learn and organize a better Cup next time.

Anyways, coming to today's match. Bangladesh can very well win against aussies. They have shown they are capable of chasing 300+. What will be interesting to see is what if Shakib fails today, can others perform to the same level.
Old 20th June 2019, 12:17   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
What is the quota system in SA?
They are two different things but are intertwined.
The 'quota' or Transformation is a government policy has been setup to uplift the underrepresented non-white races in the country. Not sure of which facets of life it applies, but I think it applies to all sports.

In cricket, the policy is to have 6 players of color over a season and 3 of those 6 are to be black African. Since black Africans generally don't have access to facilities like the privileged whites, they don't get as many cricketers. Although the situation seems to be improving now.

I remember that CSA was banned from bidding to host a world cup because they didn't meet transformation targets.

Quote:
What is Kolpak?
Kolpak is a way for South Africans to get into the English county cricket as a domestic player because of the trade agreements SA have with the EU. Cricketers should have played a minimum number of games to be eligible for selection under the ruling.

Through Kolpak, they are considered domestic players (counties have limits on the # of international players they can have) and the overall quality of Cricket improves with highly skilled players.

The link: Because of the devalued ZAR and quota system, many highly skilled white cricketers feel insecure about their place in the national team and seek financially lucrative deals with English counties to gain financial stability. Some even want to play for England by the way of their English wives or parents etc.
Old 20th June 2019, 19:15   #251
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Australia made merry and ended with 381/5 against Bangladesh. Even if Bangladesh can get 300 in reply it will be a great achievement, let's see. They have a pretty dismal record against Australia having won just 1 ODI so far.
Old 20th June 2019, 21:29   #252
BHPian

Chasing 310 and chasing anything over 350 is a whole different ball game. It can be done, but it will happen very very very rarely. That too in a WC? Nope. Bangladesh had no chance once Australia got what they got.
Forget BD, any team, for that matter won't chase down this score in a WC game.

As someone said, the WC has been boring. The format itself is okay but just one big group and specially Pak/SA/WI not being upto mark has made this into among the dullest WCs in recent memory. BD have been a welcome change really.
Old 21st June 2019, 12:21   #253
PPS
Senior - BHPian

It was good effort by Bangladesh in the end to reach 330 odd & keep the Australians in the field for 50 overs. Infact, even the other day Afghanistan kept England in the field for the full 50 overs!

I think Indian team needs to be wary of Bangladesh since they only get a days rest after the England game.
Old 21st June 2019, 13:41   #254
BHPian

My assessment of the teams so far.
ENG and AUS are playing at very top level (agree that ENG lost to PAK and AUS lost to IND)
NZ and IND comes next (could not judge who is better, as the game between NZ and IND was washed out)
BAN and PAK comes next
WI and SA comes next
next is SL
and then no challengers to AFG for #10 position

So, it could be either ENG or AUS at #1 position (depends on the outcome of their match) and then NZ or IND for #3. Top 4 teams are not going to change, their position in the table may.
Old 21st June 2019, 16:35   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
My assessment of the teams so far.
ENG and AUS are playing at very top level (agree that ENG lost to PAK and AUS lost to IND)
NZ and IND comes next (could not judge who is better, as the game between NZ and IND was washed out)
BAN and PAK comes next
WI and SA comes next
next is SL
and then no challengers to AFG for #10 position

So, it could be either ENG or AUS at #1 position (depends on the outcome of their match) and then NZ or IND for #3. Top 4 teams are not going to change, their position in the table may.
Well my assesment is different. India and England are playing a very high level game.
India won against pakistan with one of our front line bowlers not bowling.

England lost to pakistan and australia lost to India.
I expect india or england to top the league stages depending on who wins the India Vs england match.

Top 4 as per me in the order are

India/England
England/India
Australia
New Zealand

Knowing Australia, they will ramp up and only get better from here on.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks