Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2019, 15:34   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Though this is not specific to SA team, cricket in general is on decline in some of the major cricketing nations. It started with WI way back in 2000s, continued with Australia, NZ, SL and SA. From what I know, cricket used to be #1 sports in Australia and now I don’t think it features even in top 3. Same in NZ and SA I guess. Even though ENG team is playing well, their domestic cricket is not that competitive any more. SL could be an exception where cricket could still be #1 sport but still they are on decline due to domestic cricket which is in shambles.
But the good thing is, cricket is getting hugely popular in BAN and AFG.
I would not say decline but one of the factors could be retirement of players at the same time. Australia and Windies faced this scenario. In Australia, players like McGrath, Warne, Langer, Gilchrist, Hayden went out the same time. Getting replacements to fill the shoes of these greats took a longer time. Same case with West Indies. I would say this is a cycle where once upon a time Australia, SA and Windies dominated. Now we are beginning to see that in India, England. Even Bangladesh has improved a lot.
Old 24th June 2019, 16:08   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I would not say decline but one of the factors could be retirement of players at the same time. Australia and Windies faced this scenario. In Australia, players like McGrath, Warne, Langer, Gilchrist, Hayden went out the same time. Getting replacements to fill the shoes of these greats took a longer time. Same case with West Indies. I would say this is a cycle where once upon a time Australia, SA and Windies dominated. Now we are beginning to see that in India, England. Even Bangladesh has improved a lot.
In case of Australia, I agree that many of those greats retiring at around same time created a huge vacuum, but definitely not in case of WI. Their team has been on decline for more than 2 decades now and almost reached rock bottom in test rankings.
So there is no denying the fact that cricket is definitely not a major sport anymore compare to earlier years in these countries.
Old 24th June 2019, 18:09   #288
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
NZ vs WI was no doubt the match of the WC so far.
Unfortunately didn't see it live. WI shouldn't have been chasing that many in the first place, really do not know why Braithwaite was bowling at the death when there were other bowlers around! No doubt it was a great innings but he seems to be performing once in 3yrs.
Old 25th June 2019, 12:32   #289
Team-BHP Support

What a BIG match today in terms of the rivalry and the context of the cup. And the mind games have begun with Morgan almost requesting the fans to put Smith and Warner under booing pressure.

I think that Australia will stream roll England today. And all the Asian teams, India aside, will be cheering for Australia
Old 25th June 2019, 12:58   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What a BIG match today in terms of the rivalry and the context of the cup. And the mind games have begun with Morgan almost requesting the fans to put Smith and Warner under booing pressure.

I think that Australia will stream roll England today. And all the Asian teams, India aside, will be cheering for Australia
I think you are mistaken. India will be cheering for Australia as we would love to see England kicked out of semis

Quite excited to see how today unfolds. I hope Aussies bat first and put England under pressure of a big chase( which they aren't comfortable with at all)
Old 25th June 2019, 13:14   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

"Former England captain Michael Vaughan believes England need to win two of their last three games.

"All this talk of England needing to win one of the last three is nonsense," he told the BBC's Test Match Special.

"I'm twitchy and I'll tell you why - Sri Lanka play South Africa who are already knocked out, they play the West Indies who are already knocked out, Sri Lanka play India in the last game…and I don't want it to sound like skulduggery, but would India prefer England or Sri Lanka in the semi finals?""

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/48743983

Am not sure I understood correctly what Vaughan is implying here. Is he trying to say we'd throw a match in such a scenario to ensure that SL goes through and not Eng?

Did i interpret that correctly?

If so, what is the man smoking?! Making an allusion to potential/imagined match fixing on national TV?! Instead of warning Michael Holding for stating the obvious (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...dies-australia), the ICC should warn this joker about making thoughtless comments like this!

Last edited by am1m : 25th June 2019 at 13:19.
Old 25th June 2019, 13:30   #292
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I think you are mistaken. India will be cheering for Australia as we would love to see England kicked out of semis
Well, I will be cheering for England because I don't want Pakistan to even have a sniff of a chance of reaching the semis

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
"I'm twitchy and I'll tell you why - Sri Lanka play South Africa who are already knocked out, they play the West Indies who are already knocked out, Sri Lanka play India in the last game…and I don't want it to sound like skulduggery, but would India prefer England or Sri Lanka in the semi finals?""

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/48743983

Am not sure I understood correctly what Vaughan is implying here. Is he trying to say we'd throw a match in such a scenario to ensure that SL goes through and not Eng?

Did i interpret that correctly?
Not exactly lose a match, but manipulate the result to get an easier opponent - this has happened before in the 1999 WC. Australia vs WI.

So you can rest a few key players and try out different strategies at the risk of losing.

Last edited by Eddy : 25th June 2019 at 13:36.
Old 25th June 2019, 14:19   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Not exactly lose a match, but manipulate the result to get an easier opponent - this has happened before in the 1999 WC. Australia vs WI.
Not only in CWC, this has happened even in soccer WC. who can forget this famous match https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gij%C3%B3n in 1982 WC? Though the intention of west germans to play like that was to eliminate Algeria and make sure Austria enters the next round, they deliberately did not attempt after taking the lead! Finally FIFA has to change the rules so that final group games are played at the same day/time.
Old 25th June 2019, 14:25   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not exactly lose a match, but manipulate the result to get an easier opponent - this has happened before in the 1999 WC. Australia vs WI. So you can rest a few key players and try out different strategies at the risk of losing.
Ah, that makes sense and sounds a whole lot better. Thanks for clarifying, I think I was getting a bit hyper unnecessarily there!

But still think that was an irresponsible remark from a former Eng captain. Imagine if Kohli had said something like that about the Eng team, the knives would have been out then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Finally FIFA has to change the rules so that final group games are played at the same day/time.
Yeah, I remember football tournaments were notorious for this sort of thing, never realized it was possible in cricket as well. ICC should also look into organizing more than one group game in a day, not just to prevent collusion, but because with just one match a day, this group stage is going on for ever!
Old 25th June 2019, 18:43   #295
Team-BHP Support

286 will be a tough chase. Australia will come hard at the Englishmen. Lyon will also be keen to make the most of this opportunity.

I hope England chase this down, anything to keep Pak out of the SFs.
Old 25th June 2019, 19:33   #296
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like a tough chase for England, already 2 down (Vince & Root gone) and score is 21/2 in 5 overs. I thought England did a great job to restrict Australia to 285 after the great start they had and had just lost the wicket of Warner. But after Finch got his century and got out the next ball, the rest of the batsmen could not keep up the run rate.

*EDIT:Morgan out, England struggling at 26/3!

Quote:
I hope England chase this down, anything to keep Pak out of the SFs.
There are some eerie similarities between Pakistan's show in the 1992 world cup and this one - the order of wins/losses/no result upto 6th match are identical. That time they won the 6th match by 48 runs with Aamir Sohail Man of the match and this time they won by 49 runs and Haris Sohail was man of the match. Will this continue ?

Last edited by NPV : 25th June 2019 at 19:39.
Old 25th June 2019, 20:04   #297
Senior - BHPian

Aussies shouldn't relax now. England bats deep and couple of good partnerships can get them close. Good match up till now.
Old 25th June 2019, 20:47   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Just realized, there's almost no audience noise during the game! I can actually hear what the commentators are on about ��

Almost feels like watching a Wimbledon game really.
Old 25th June 2019, 21:49   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I will be cheering for England because I don't want Pakistan to even have a sniff of a chance of reaching the semis

So you can rest a few key players and try out different strategies at the risk of losing.
Don't think India will be that charitable to anyone. It's an all round bad idea. You want to enter the semis playing your best cricket. We may still lose but I don't see how India will strive for that result.

Also, agree I would rather see England than Pakistan as you never know which Pakistan team turns up. They could demolish any side on their day. Just a crazy cricket team, you never know what happens with them. And percentage wise, even though England are far better, India can atleast have plans against them.

Also, why have we forgotten Bangladesh? The way they are playing, they can beat anyone. Their last 2 games are Vs India & Pak.

(177/6 now with Stokes gone) If England lose today, it can get very tricky for them. They play India & NZ in their last two and both team would not want to give an inch to another potential semi-finalist.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 25th June 2019 at 21:56.
Old 25th June 2019, 23:09   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
There are some eerie similarities between Pakistan's show in the 1992 world cup and this one - the order of wins/losses/no result upto 6th match are identical. That time they won the 6th match by 48 runs with Aamir Sohail Man of the match and this time they won by 49 runs and Haris Sohail was man of the match. Will this continue ?
There are much more eerie similarities than what you have mentioned above. https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...-cups-pakistan
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks