England 74 28.24%
West Indies 17 6.49%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2019, 06:59   #421
BHPian

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019

It is so sad to see so many people being happy with the result and the way it happened. I see the mood to be more of hatred to a neighbour rather than love for the game. One should take note that Pakistan is still not out of the WC nor are Eng, NZ and BND. In fact, there have been many upsets and there are possibilities where India may not be in the semifinals. I would have liked the Indian team to have sealed a place in the semifinals first before playing like how they played yesterday.

There's a saying in thamizh, "than vinai thannai sudum", meaning, the bad deeds one does would sting them one day.

We were not bought up with such hatred. It's sad to see such, lose one eye to see the other lose both, attitude.
Old 1st July 2019, 07:07   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

In the post-match interviews, Virat who is generally impassive about faults/problems was complaining about shorter boundaries (59m) in the pitch. It was a brilliant strategical point, which kind of indicates that England did their homework better and used the benefits they had at their hand.

Basically we had the better spinners against whom the short boundary turned to be the ideal weapon for the batsmen. Hence the large number of pull, sweep & reverse sweep shots during the first innings, which wasn't there during the second innings.

Basically, it seems like Eng used the home pitch to its advantage and prepared (better) for it in advance. That's what he was indicating. Not sure if it is (il)legal in the current timeframe and WC setup; but in the past I remember home team captains having a strong say in how the pitch turns out.
Old 1st July 2019, 07:12   #423
Senior - BHPian

This match was fixed, India will pay for this mistake.
Old 1st July 2019, 07:38   #424
BHPian

Saw this on Reddit right now.

ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019-screenshot_20190701073737_reddit.png
Old 1st July 2019, 07:41   #425
Senior - BHPian

While as an Indian I was naturally disappointed, the way our boys maneuvered and brilliantly and effortlessly controlled last night's match and made a mammoth run chase look easy gave me a lot of heart and satisfaction. The other teams have surely not missed that inescapable fact.

The hand wringing and sanctimonious crocodile tears from across the border is of course admittedly very entertaining as well. But I prefer to look at it from our own team's perspective purely. And even with some serious kinks in our middle order that need to be quickly ironed out, it was impressive any which way you look at it.

I actually switched to a movie when Rohit and Kohli were batting. And came back to watch and see we are already near 270.

I must admit initially I did not think we would reach 300.

Cheers, Doc
Old 1st July 2019, 07:50   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
So it's pretty clear that Kedar Jadhav won't be given the ball. Am guessing he will mostly be replaced by Jadeja in next game against Bangladesh and high time to give DK a go in place of maybe Pant or Rahul, most likely the latter.
Kedar Jadav's selection match after match is baffling. Kohli & Co. don't let him bowl. Also the top order bats like the buck stops at Dhoni (protecting the tailenders) and there's no one after him, then why select Jadav? Yesterday, they should have tactically selected the extra bowler Bhuvi; maybe they would be chasing 300 then.
Old 1st July 2019, 07:58   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I personally feel that India should be thrashed out of semi-finals.
Why would you make a statement like this?
Old 1st July 2019, 08:19   #428
Senior - BHPian

England scored 98 odd runs in last 10 overs. India had to score over 110 (I think 117).

I think it was doable. Atleast they should have attempted. All talk of Dhoni and Jadhav trying and not able to middle is ridiculus.

If they cant score fast at depth, they have no business of batting at that position.

Ok we all know Dhoni is past his prime as an explosive batsman but he is invaluable in the field with his insights and wicket keeping. What surprises me is, if Kohli does not intend to bowl Jadhav, is he good enough to just bat at No 5/6/7 with a strike rate of 79 odd?
Old 1st July 2019, 08:51   #429
Senior - BHPian

Indians did not appeal for DRS when there was a clear indication that Bairstow had knicked one down the legside of the bowling of Hardik Pandya. Kohli as usual looked at Dhoni did not take the review, this was a second instance when Dhoni misjudged a possible dismissal. Dhoni has put on weight and is not match fit. India is over-due for a severe thrashing in this World Cup.
Old 1st July 2019, 09:02   #430
Senior - BHPian

Agree with view points here. I would have preferred India losing respectably than the submission which we witnessed. Dhoni leaving everything to be done in the last over is like an engineer trying to study everything before the night of the exam.

Its sad to see that Dhoni, who was arguably the best finisher in the game get reduced to such pulp of a batsman who would give up on a match.

Tendulkar struggled during his last years but he had the passion for the game which seem to be lacking for Dhoni (P.S. Tendulkar is a horrible commentator :P)
Old 1st July 2019, 09:08   #431
Senior - BHPian

After boring weeks at the beginning, glad that it has become interesting. During IPL, Dhoni looked very fit. He certainly isnt that good now. I hope he retires after this world cup.

Looks like England will use the right pitches for their matches to suit their play. On flat pitches, they will be kings. Even if India were to lose all matches, we still have an edge in net run rate. I dont think this match slowed our momentum and will win the remaining.
Old 1st July 2019, 09:08   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
India is over-due for a severe thrashing in this World Cup.
There's no fun in winning all the matches, all the time, is there? After 5 consecutive wins in a World Cup series(which is itself impressive), a loss like this could help bring them back down to earth. Maybe, they'll be a bit more cautious the next time around. I don't think we all need to get upset like this. Let's just hope for the best.

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 1st July 2019 at 09:37.
Old 1st July 2019, 09:28   #433
BHPian

I stopped watching the match after Pandya got out as I did not think Dhoni or Jadhav would be able to hit big.

The way the things are unfolding, I think India would finish on no. 2 or no. 3. Based on the outcome of Eng vs NZ, one of these would be the other team on no. 2 or no. 3. So 2nd semifinal would be between Ind vs Eng, or Ind vs. NZ. And this too would take place at same ground, Edgbaston.

As we have seen, the ground is on smaller side. Based on which pitch selected, again there would be this issue of smaller boundary on one side. England has totally thrashed our 2 "match winning" wrist spinners. If we play England and the pitch is again belter of a track then God save India. England have far too many stroke makers than India. At best what Kohli could do is include Bhuvi in place one of the spinners. I felt England were not able hit seamers that much compared to spinners.
Old 1st July 2019, 09:32   #434
BHPian

Serious thought needs to be given on Kedar's role in this team. He cant contribute with the bat. The captain does not trust him enough with the ball. So what is he doing? Making up the numbers?

I am sure there is a case for playing Pant and Vijay Shankar in that case.

Yesterday's show in the last 6-7 overs was disgusting to say the least. All this talk about it being difficult to hit the ball and England bowling exceptionally well is all a truckload of bullcr**. It was more a case of the batsmen making the bowling look exceptional.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd July 2019 at 07:35. Reason: typo corrected
Old 1st July 2019, 09:34   #435
BHPian

It looked more like a controlled loss than anything else. Definitely can't accept Kohli and Rohit Sharma's justification about slow wicket and Rahul falling early. With such short boundaries, if they can't adjust and play, then there is something wrong in their mindset. When chasing 338, you can't just score 28 runs in the first 10 overs on a flat pitch. If they had scored an additional 30 runs in the first 15 overs, it would have been a good match. The lack of intent was clearly seen in the beginning and end of the Indian batting. India could possibly be facing New Zealand or England in the Semi Final.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed