Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2019, 09:52   #481
BHPian

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
I feel this would be a good combo - Rohit, DK, Kohli, Pant, MSD, Jadeja, Pandya, Bhuvi, Chahal, Shammi, Bumrah
The Bowling is fine, both Jadeja and Bhuvaneshwar can bat, if Mayank Agarwal is ready, I would play him instead of DK as an opener.
India now needs a No 4 batsman who can bowl spin, just in case Hardik Pandya fails, some one like a Suresh Raina or Yuvraj Singh, instead of Jadhav.
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:03   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Thanks Eddy, we are lucky in our life that sick leaves are allowed irrespective of where and when you fall sick. On humanitarian grounds they should allow replacement, if a player suffers an irreversible injury, his life is at stake. The captain should be reprimanded in this scenario is my thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Yes, it should happen till the time it becomes obvious that teams are taking advantage of this rule and replacing a bad fielder with an excellent one.

Just like it happened with a runner - teams starting misusing it and it was banned.
Eddy and myself shared our views on the fate of injured players couple of weeks back, India is clearly playing with the rules. First, Jadeja comes in as a substitute in the game against England to effect two vital dismissals, the catch he took of Bairstow was a stunner and later a run out. Why was he substituting in the match? Now Vijay Shankar is replaced by Mayank, what is this injury story of Shankar?
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:08   #483
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Eddy and myself shared our views on the fate of injured players couple of weeks back, India is clearly playing with the rules. First, Jadeja comes in as a substitute in the game against England to effect two vital dismissals, the catch he took of Bairstow was a stunner and later a run out. Why was he substituting in the match? Now Vijay Shankar is replaced by Mayank, what is this injury story of Shankar?
Jadeja was on the field for KL Rahul who hurt his back while fielding.

Vijay Shankar was hit by Bumrah yorkers (twice, I think) in the nets and hence has a toe injury.

Given that KL is carrying a niggle, India chose to replace Shankar with an opening bat - Mayank Aggarwal - which I think is a sensible decision.
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:11   #484
Senior - BHPian

An unfit Rahul opened the innings for India when chasing a score of 338. Bumrah repeatedly targeted the toes of Shankar like Guru Dhronacharya targeted Ekalavya's thumb. Indian team management is going through a humiliating phase in this World Cup.

Sanjay Manjrekar takes a U-turn and questions the ability of injured Rahul to make big scores. He also feels Shankar was unfortunate to get injured. Rahul has scored more runs than Shankar in the World Cup.

Last edited by deehunk : 2nd July 2019 at 11:30.
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:25   #485
BHPian

I think following 4 teams will qualify for semis

1.Australia (Q)
2.India
3.England
4.New zealand if they lose to England but they can still qualify on better NRR.

Australian pace attack seems too hot to handle for anyone and Mitchell Starc is bowling superbly alongwith Behrendorff. Australia seems to be taking this WC unless either India or England could spring a surprise on the final day.
Old 2nd July 2019, 13:06   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An unfit Rahul opened the innings for India when chasing a score of 338.
Even with fit Rahul, India missed a trick. If Pant is in the XI, then he opens, and Rahul is at No. 4. In case Rahul needs to open, then DK must be at No. 4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
In the post-match interviews, Virat who is generally impassive about faults/problems was complaining about shorter boundaries (59m) in the pitch.
Virat Kohli has played a test match or two, many ODIs, T20Is on that ground and has around 600 international runs in Edgbaston. He did not notice the short boundary
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Unlike many pundits and moralistic types I have no qualms in dealing an enemy a knife to the heart any and every opportunity I get.
India might have just done that.
Old 2nd July 2019, 13:48   #487
Senior - BHPian

English batsmen were not wearing any 3D glasses to pick their shots on shorter boundary. I hope that BD will make Indian players to earn their runs today.
Old 2nd July 2019, 13:57   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Virat Kohli has played a test match or two, many ODIs, T20Is on that ground and has around 600 international runs in Edgbaston. He did not notice the short boundary
Boundaries limits are changed over diff series. The fence was much further off, the boundary rope was pulled in. The opening pair probably gave atleast 3-4 boundary level sixes that would have been catches if the rope was extended to max possible. Also the previous WC matches for other teams on this ground were on an adjacent (more central) pitch so hence the irregular boundary distance.

It'll be interesting to see if the limits remain same today, and how we handle that against Bangladesh. Same pitch.
Old 2nd July 2019, 14:24   #489
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
It'll be interesting to see if the limits remain same today, and how we handle that against Bangladesh. Same pitch.
If the pitch remains the same, and it is the same, the boundaries will also remain the same. I don't think they can change them.
Old 2nd July 2019, 14:31   #490
Senior - BHPian

The boundary ropes are always in the same position. But there are multiple pitches that can be used. Is England using a less used harder/better ones for the host's matches ? I hope they are not in some way trying to favour the host !
Old 2nd July 2019, 14:35   #491
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I think DK is getting a raw deal since Shastri and Kohli do not prefer him over Shankar, Rahul and Jadhav. They tend to give these 3 many chances and persist with them despite their failures and when they finally give DK a game he is expected to do very well, quite unfortunate and unfair. Let's see if they actually play DK today against Bangladesh.

Edit: Kuldeep makes way for Bhuvi and Kedar replaced by DK.

Kohli has said Bhuvi is in because of the short boundary on one side, is that such a big deal and has he just realized it after the match against England ? How did other teams and England themselves manage that ? It's not something that was changed on match day versus England ? Just hate it when captains give flimsy reasons and excuses after losing a match!

Last edited by NPV : 2nd July 2019 at 14:55.
Old 2nd July 2019, 14:41   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think DK is getting a raw deal since Shastri and Kohli do not prefer him over Shankar, Rahul and Jadhav. They tend to give these 3 many chances and persist with them despite their failures and when they finally give DK a game he is expected to do very well, quite unfortunate and unfair. Let's see if they actually play DK today against Bangladesh.

No more raw deal... DK is playing instead of Jadhav...
That said, look at DK's career record. He isn't blazing guns either...
Old 2nd July 2019, 14:42   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
And they are!!

Two changes: Kuldeep Yadav is out for Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Dinesh Karthik in for Kedar Jadhav.

Why not Mayank in place of KL?
Old 2nd July 2019, 14:47   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
And they are!!

Two changes: Kuldeep Yadav is out for Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Dinesh Karthik in for Kedar Jadhav.

Why not Mayank in place of KL?
As per reports from cricinfo, Mayank is in transit. Will not be available till the next match.
Old 2nd July 2019, 14:55   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
I feel this would be a good combo - Rohit, DK, Kohli, Pant, MSD, Jadeja, Pandya, Bhuvi, Chahal, Shammi, Bumrah.

DK can give some good hits at opening while Rohit can play stick on game at the beginning. There is depth in batting as well as bowling.

KK
I quote myself, Wow, I see the same team except for inclusion of Jadeja. Rahul remains.

So we have exactly 5 bowlers, and no 6th bowler option at all, that's why Jadeja should have included in place of Rahul.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 2nd July 2019 at 14:57.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed