West Indies 17 6.49%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2019, 09:46   #661
BHPian

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019

he he he!

Sachin will always be just a guest. Don't take him seriously! Just having a conversation with his co-commentator!
Old 8th July 2019, 10:22   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I think Robin Uthappa is also a very good commentator (at Cricbuzz).

The newest guest appearance in the worst commentators of all time - Sachin Tendulkar. HE IS HORRIBLE!
Yes Robin is a welcome addition to Cricbuzz. Apart from him, Joy is also good to listen to.
Old 8th July 2019, 11:54   #663
Team-BHP Support

I have listened to almost all episodes (3 per match) of cricbuzz live. It is good but Zaheer is getting a little repetitive now.

Joy and Robin are fantastic. Nehra on the hindi show is also good. Kaif is horrible. And Ajay Jadeja was back yesterday, though Zaheer didn't give a chance to speak much.

Gaurav Kapur - take a bow !
Old 8th July 2019, 12:15   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I have listened to almost all episodes (3 per match) of cricbuzz live. It is good but Zaheer is getting a little repetitive now.

Joy and Robin are fantastic. Nehra on the hindi show is also good. Kaif is horrible. And Ajay Jadeja was back yesterday, though Zaheer didn't give a chance to speak much.

Gaurav Kapur - take a bow !
Yeah, i've been following this show from when the WC started. GK is a good host, does very well at what he is supposed to do. Ask the right questions and allow the experts to give their opinion. Same goes with his BWC show as well.
Robin is good, Joy brings the insider team management insights, Zak is good but doesn't let others speak.
The commentary standards have changed now, there was a time when the commentator used to watch the game and commentate, nowadays i believe they watch it on a TV which i think is a loss for us viewers. They don't even call out the fielding changes made most of the times. I like the new graphic that comes up each time there is a change.
I used to like Harsha and still do a bit, but i see that he is now very conservative with his thoughts, feels like he doesn't want to step on somebody's toes. Holding did a good job by calling out the ICC for restricting on what he/they can say during commentary.
One name i think we have not mentioned yet is Pommie Mbangwa, i like the joy he brings to commentary.
I don't like Rameez who gets monotonous, Sanjay who really brings no insights, Ganguly because of all the goof ups but does bring up good points once a while.
Do you mind sharing why you don't like Gavaskar? I haven't listened to him in a while but i remember him being straightforward and blunt in calling people out, especially when they dive for no reason and drop a sitter
Old 8th July 2019, 12:41   #665
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
Yeah, i've been following this show from when the WC started. GK is a good host, does very well at what he is supposed to do. Ask the right questions and allow the experts to give their opinion. Same goes with his BWC show as well.
Robin is good, Joy brings the insider team management insights, Zak is good but doesn't let others speak.
The commentary standards have changed now, there was a time when the commentator used to watch the game and commentate, nowadays i believe they watch it on a TV which i think is a loss for us viewers. They don't even call out the fielding changes made most of the times. I like the new graphic that comes up each time there is a change.
I used to like Harsha and still do a bit, but i see that he is now very conservative with his thoughts, feels like he doesn't want to step on somebody's toes. Holding did a good job by calling out the ICC for restricting on what he/they can say during commentary.
One name i think we have not mentioned yet is Pommie Mbangwa, i like the joy he brings to commentary.
I don't like Rameez who gets monotonous, Sanjay who really brings no insights, Ganguly because of all the goof ups but does bring up good points once a while.
Do you mind sharing why you don't like Gavaskar? I haven't listened to him in a while but i remember him being straightforward and blunt in calling people out, especially when they dive for no reason and drop a sitter
I have still not decided whether I like Pommie or not - I sometimes get irritated by his tendency to stress on one word in a sentence. But content-wise he is good

Gavaskar is B.O.R.I.N.G - says the obvious things, makes mistakes and then tries to cover them up and most importantly is not in the tune of things. Still thinks that 8-9 is not chase-able in the last 5 overs.

Tell you who has potential - Hemang Badani. I was listening to him on one of the news shows and he spoke quite well.
Old 8th July 2019, 13:06   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used to like Harsha and still do a bit, but i see that he is now very conservative with his thoughts, feels like he doesn't want to step on somebody's toes.
You've hit the nail on the head about Harsha Bhogle. Though conservative is not the word I'd use. Political.

This is what I meant when I said that he's bought into his own persona so much over time that he's take on airs and a sense of pontificating familiarity that he's never earned on the field.

Harsha Bhogle for some time now has been a massive bore. His novelty factor wore out many years ago. The fact that he's still around, and survived the putting in place he was subjected to a few years ago, only means he's just another BCCI type.

A survivor and one who knows how to play the game.

Off the field.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 8th July 2019 at 13:08.
Old 8th July 2019, 16:41   #667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
You've hit the nail on the head about Harsha Bhogle. Though conservative is not the word I'd use. Political.
Agree completely. I like commentators who are honest and direct to the point. In the IndvsEng match, Dhoni was at the crease, and Atherton and Ganguly were covering the penultimate overs. Atherton slyly puts the question on Dhoni's style of batting in those overs; and Ganguly gives it upfront speaking his mind without a concern. Irrespective of whether he is correct or wrong, it was a frank and clear opinion voiced.

Harsha used to be vocal on a similar note, a long time back. Then he moved on to a backward move, responding only when others picked up a fault in a cricketers' play and gave his views to the argument. But nowadays I see him being very defensive and at most would tweet an ambiguous message about any incident post the match.

Of course, the other extreme end are characters like Ramiz Raja and Mr.Manjrekar who try to be vocal and with a viewpoint on every incident and at times sound really idiotic at times (like the Jadeja case).
Old 8th July 2019, 17:07   #668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used to like Harsha and still do a bit, but i see that he is now very conservative with his thoughts, feels like he doesn't want to step on somebody's toes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Harsha used to be vocal on a similar note, a long time back. Then he moved on to a backward move, responding only when others picked up a fault in a cricketers' play and gave his views to the argument. But nowadays I see him being very defensive and at most would tweet an ambiguous message about any incident post the match.
I think it had to be because of this incident. Also read this related article. He was and is very articulate in what he wants to say but after that above mentioned incident he has mellowed down, probably because that is where he gets his money from (mostly). When we had moved to cricbuzz (I think) during the IPL he was again being very honest in his views.

I still like Harsha Bhogle (far better than others) but yes I do agree that he has mellowed down his views but not political.

Coming back to the S/F, who do you think will be in the finals? I am betting on Ind vs Aus. Both the teams because of strong top order and good bowlers.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 8th July 2019 at 17:09.
Old 8th July 2019, 17:12   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I think it had to be because of this incident. Also read this related article. He was and is very articulate in what he wants to say but after that above mentioned incident he has mellowed down, probably because that is where he gets his money from (mostly). When we had moved to cricbuzz (I think) during the IPL he was again being very honest in his views.

I still like Harsha Bhogle (far better than others) but yes I do agree that he has mellowed down his views but not political.
Yes you are right. This was the phase I was talking about in my earlier post.

For the record, I have no problem with Harsha Bhogle or anyone else earning his livelihood.

Its just that I would far rather hear the thoughts and insights of someone who has played at the highest level himself.

Language skills need not be there. Hindi is perfect.

Cheers, Doc
Old 8th July 2019, 18:27   #670
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Coming back to the S/F, who do you think will be in the finals? I am betting on Ind vs Aus.
I think its best to avoid Australia for the Finals. More due to the slope at Lord's & the Aussies having 2 left arm pacers in their team. If i remember correctly they both did well against England in the group stage & Beherendorff got the ball to swing! Even Tendulkar mentioned this during his commentary stint. Australia's batting is their weak link now. Khwaja & Stoinis are injured. All the pressure is on Finch & Warner with only Carey offering support down the order.
Offcourse, we have to cross the NZ hurdle before that which we should unless there are damp conditions at Old Trafford.
Old 8th July 2019, 18:42   #671
BHPian

Weather forecast for tomorrow seem to be cloudy and chances of rain. Hope Indian batsmen do not struggle against New Zealand's pacers like they did in the warm up game. Tricky toss for both the teams.
Old 9th July 2019, 12:00   #672
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Latest update: Prediction of a cloudy morning with outbreaks of rain through much of the day. During the afternoon, there is a chance that the rain will ease of for a time, but will likely intensify again later, the British Met department says. Light spells of shower are expected to begin from 12 pm BST (5:30 pm IST) while a burst of heavy rain is predicted for 3 pm BST (7:30 pm IST).

According to BBC Weather, there is over a 40 per cent chance of rain at 8am-9am local time, and this will reduce and stay consistent around 25-30 per cent through rest of the day.
Source: news18.com

Looks like it will be a start-stop kinda day. Which makes it a very tricky decision at the toss.
Old 9th July 2019, 14:42   #673
BHPian

Oh my god!! Kohli continues losing tosses. How important was the toss today since D/L may come into play.

Did we just get eliminated??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
We'll bundle them out for less than 250
Amen to that.

Last edited by rovingeye : 9th July 2019 at 15:01.
Old 9th July 2019, 14:50   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Oh my god!! Kohli continues losing tosses. How important was the toss today since D/L may come into play.

Did we just lose the world cup???
Think of it this way: We had to lose a toss sometime so better here than finals.
We should win today even in chasing given our form from last match. If we don't then we don't deserve this cup.
That said... We'll bundle them out for less than 250
Old 9th July 2019, 14:59   #675
Senior - BHPian

I would have had Shami in the team. If it was a toss up between Shami and Bhuvi, I would have gone for Shami.
Actually I would have wanted to play all the three seamers and Jadeja/Jadhav instead of DK.
But I guess team management wanted to play a bit safe by strengthening the batting having an extra batsman.
Problem is that in case one of the bowlers goes for runs we dont have a fall back option. Worse even if one of them gets injured as Bhuvi did earlier.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks