Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2019, 13:16   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The current team setup feels improvident, may be sort of well oiled machinery pushing the ship in calm seas, but fails in face of rough weather. This needs improvement and introspection.
Exactly, the Indian team was like a great sedan (like the Civic), very comfortable and competant on a highway but absolutely out of place on even soft-roading conditions. We needed to be a CSUV like the Compass or a Harrier, which could handle multiple terrains seamlessly.

We are complaining about the body shell (read Dhoni) rubbing against obstacles, while its actually the suspension set-up which let us down (Top-Order).

Next time baby, next time.
Old 11th July 2019, 13:41   #827
Senior - BHPian

Only 2 members are aware of the scenario that there were 6 fielders outside the circle during P3, allegedly even when Dhoni was on strike for the ball which got him run out. The rest of the comments have been for and against Dhoni. Where was the concentration of our data experts or different coaches? If they had been conscious, result would have been different.
Old 11th July 2019, 13:47   #828
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Only 2 members are aware of the scenario that there were 6 fielders outside the circle during P3...If they had been conscious, result would have been different.
Would it really? I think we had lost the match long before that run-out. This is something the media has pounced on to generate some sort of news traction, but really, we left it way too late to try and win the match.

I don't blame Dhoni, or any player (but I would LOVE to see Shastri go! ), this is the nature of knock-outs. I think we had a good tournament.

Last edited by am1m : 11th July 2019 at 13:49.
Old 11th July 2019, 14:12   #829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Only 2 members are aware of the scenario that there were 6 fielders outside the circle during P3, allegedly even when Dhoni was on strike for the ball which got him run out. The rest of the comments have been for and against Dhoni. Where was the concentration of our data experts or different coaches? If they had been conscious, result would have been different.
Wouldn't that be a no ball then? But then again, run outs are legal on no-balls. So, if any difference at all, India would have lost by 17 runs instead of 18
If I am wrong with the powerplay rules, please correct.

In my view, we lost the match with Jadeja.
Old 11th July 2019, 14:19   #830
BHPian

Very well articulated, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-48946615
Old 11th July 2019, 14:19   #831
Senior - BHPian

To be frank India played some exceptional cricket and some below average stuff all through its league matches. Although the 7 - 2 result might indicate a strong performance, our Bowling helped us scrape through against AFG and BAN ! Again, the reason was Batsmen couldn't perform to the potential.

Also i think it was a dumb move to replace Dhawan with Pant and ask him to slot in middle order and an even dumb move by replacing Vijay with Mayank !! What is the real use of this replacement anyway ??

Last edited by Aditya : 12th July 2019 at 08:30. Reason: Typo
Old 11th July 2019, 14:26   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Wouldn't that be a no ball then? But then again, run outs are legal on no-balls. So, if any difference at all, India would have lost by 17 runs instead of 18

In my view, we lost the match with Jadeja.
If the umpires had noticed it before the ball was bowled, which they should have, they would have stopped the bowler and asked him to readjust the field. Which could have meant that the bowler bowled differently, or that Guptill would not have been in that position.

BTW, I was thinking that Dhoni was playing the long con by playing slowly in all the previous matches and then he would come alive in the crunch situation. Alas!

He did not deserve to go out like this though. The anti-thesis of his entire career - being run-out and failing to finish a game.

PS: We should all be more empathetic towards him. Remember, he's one of us - a true petrolhead.

Last edited by samaspire : 11th July 2019 at 14:30.
Old 11th July 2019, 14:42   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wouldn't that be a no ball then? But then again, run outs are legal on no-balls.
Technically the ball should be a dead ball, the placement of extra fielder gave NZ an advantage. We don't know for how many balls they had this extra fielder. Jadeja and Dhoni were dismissed within the space of 3 balls.The Indian team management sitting in the dressing room should have spotted and alerted the batsmen on the field. This whole WC was a shame for Indian Cricket. I felt, was this a revenge against SC intervention in BCCI affairs?

Last edited by deehunk : 11th July 2019 at 14:43.
Old 11th July 2019, 14:49   #834
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
BTW, I was thinking that Dhoni was playing the long con by playing slowly in all the previous matches and then he would come alive in the crunch situation.
I was hoping that our team had moved on from the era of requiring one person's (usually Tendulkar's, and in 2011 Yuvi's) heroics to take it to the end in a World Cup.

The story of the last man standing, taking the team over the line is the best one in sport and the best one for spectators in the few times it does come off. But statistically, far more often than not, it doesn't come about. (And I'm sure players hate that kind of pressure situation!) I'd much rather have an Indian team that goes about winning methodically and covering all angles like Australia or Germany in football. I still think we've gone a long way down that road and progress has been made. Looking back I guess losing Dhawan to injury was really where we lost this World Cup. Just read a statistic where Australia has actually the second worst batting average for numbers 3-6 in this World Cup so far, just above Afghanistan! It's just that their top order hasn't failed all at once yet.

EDIT: Annnd as I type that last sentence, there goes Finch! I love World Cup cricket knock-outs!

EDIT 2: Annnd Warner too!

Last edited by am1m : 11th July 2019 at 15:13.
Old 11th July 2019, 15:23   #835
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Finch (first ball duck!) and Warner gone, is it going to be 40 minutes of madness and bad batting for Aus as well today ?

Edit:
Looks like someone has really cursed Aus today - 14/3, Handscomb out.
Only Alex Carey and Steve Smith can bring them back into the game.

Last edited by NPV : 11th July 2019 at 15:31.
Old 11th July 2019, 15:30   #836
Senior - BHPian

We lost the match when Jadeja was out.

I was not really impressed with Dhoni's tactic to take singles and give strike to Jadeja. Where is the Dhoni we all knew of. What was the need to put so much pressure on Jadeja to hit the sixes and fours.

In my view, Dhoni has lost his touch. He should retire now. The magical Dhoni capability to hit fours and sixes at will, we all knew of doesn't exist anymore, sadly.
Old 11th July 2019, 16:05   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
but I would LOVE to see Shastri go

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m
this is the nature of knock-outs. I think we had a good tournament.

No point blaming Dhoni, when we start our chase with 3-down-for-5.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th July 2019 at 19:46. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 11th July 2019, 17:57   #838
Distinguished - BHPian

Understandingly everyone here is still talking about yesterday’s match. But hey guys, its the second semifinal in progress. Australia is in deep deep trouble with 171/7 in 39 overs. So, another low scoring game and another pressure match. Let's see if England fares any better.

Last edited by ampere : 12th July 2019 at 08:17. Reason: typo fixed
Old 11th July 2019, 18:08   #839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Understandingly everyone here is still talking about yesterday’s match. But hey guys, its the second semifinal in progress.
+1 to that!

Not an Aussie fan, quite the opposite in fact, but that guy Smith! How many cricketers would come back after that ban and just pick up where they left off? Gotta hand it to the guy!
Old 11th July 2019, 18:43   #840
Senior - BHPian

Wow. Not exactly same but almost a repeat telecast of India innings. Openers flunked, Smith's runout exactly like Dhoni in order to steal a run at the fag end. Looks like this will be another interesting one as Aussie bowling is no slouch.

Would be boring to see Australia win World Cup again. But I don't even like the English team(Just personal opinion). Would root for New Zealand, the nicest bunch of folks out there

Last edited by SoumenD : 11th July 2019 at 18:44.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks