Team-BHP - ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/208827-icc-cricket-world-cup-2019-a.html)

I was surprised that no thread exists for the Cricket World Cup! So, though I am not a big fan, thought I'd start off this thread. Has a poll too. Someone tells me that India will win the WC based on the poll results LOL.

EDIT - Poll closes in 40 days, vote fast.

Difficult to predict a winner upfront, but I think Australia start as favorites yet again, followed by England. Pakistan will also qualify for the semis and the fourth spot will be a toss up between India and New Zealand.

Somehow, I don't see India winning the world cup with the middle order that we have.

India, England & Australia start as favorites for the World Cup 2019. New Zealand also should do well, they are always the underdogs in such tournaments.

Not expecting seaming pitches in England. As it is white kookaburra doesn't swing much. Not sure how the weather is going to be in England, was dry last year. As the tournament progresses, pitches will slow down & that in turn should aid our spinners. Our top 3 batsman have to get the bulk of the runs!

I think we have a great chance. We're going to see the top 3 smash record number of runs..If we can keep our top bowlers fit and in form, then we are guaranteed a semi final spot.

My semi finalists are

1) England
2) India
3) Australia
4) West Indies/NZ

The domestic competition underway in England is seeing unprecedented scoring. The wickets are going to be FLAT. And yes, they will aid the spinners. The home team has selected a spin bowling all rounder (Denly) to support the duo of Moeen Ali & Adil Rashid - a clear indicator of expected pitch behavior.

England, Australia, and India (in the order) are the strongest teams. But don't count out WI and South Africa based on current form and lack of quotas to fill respectively.

England are the strong on paper- but the law of averages will catch up to them. And when it does, that's the day England get cheaply bowled out for 120. They'll pray that it doesn't catch up to them in the playoffs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveenroy (Post 4580750)
I was surprised that no thread exists for the Cricket World Cup! So, though I am not a big fan, thought I'd start off this thread. Has a poll too. Someone tells me that India will win the WC based on the poll results LOL.
EDIT - Poll closes in 40 days, vote fast.

Thanks for starting a thread on the WC. Any other T-bhpians going to UK to watch the world cup? I will be there for 3 games in the end of June. Looking forward to some fine cricket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon (Post 4580805)
Thanks for starting a thread on the WC. Any other T-bhpians going to UK to watch the world cup? I will be there for 3 games in the end of June. Looking forward to some fine cricket.

Btw, how are you watching the rest of the matches? Willow? Any other options. I was checking to see if I can use Hotstar.

My predictions.

Semi Finals
England
Australia
India
WestIndies

Finals
England
WestIndies

Winners
England

My picks -

Semis -
India
England
Australia
Pakistan

Finals
England
Australia

Let me a bit more patriotic.

Semis:
India
England
West Indies
Australia

Finals:
India
West Indies

Winner: India:D

I think the top 4 teams will be from the set of 7 teams - Australia, England, India, West Indies, Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand.

Since the format of this edition is different (without separate groups of 5 teams), it gives all teams a fair and even platform, so it is difficult to predict the correct 4 that will make it to the semis, but I'm also expecting it will be India, Australia, England, West Indies and India will win the cup :) The other 3 teams seem like the dark horses who can spring some surprises.

***If the tracks are flat and aid spin, definitely India has an edge - think Rohit, Dhawan, Chahal, Kuldeep on song (Kohli's batting and Bumrah's bowling are consistent and good on most tracks).

I think the semi finalists will be India, England, Australia, West Indies.

Winner: England (mind says this):Frustrati
Winner: India (heart shouts this)clap:

Wow, TBH guys, I have not followed cricket for many years now. I am surprised that many of you think WI will make it to semis. Are they that good a team now?

And England also seems to be quite a bit of a favourite. Interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveenroy (Post 4582347)
Wow, TBH guys, I have not followed cricket for many years now. I am surprised that many of you think WI will make it to semis. Are they that good a team now?

Looking at the ongoing IPL, one would probably say that Windies in the strongest. Almost all of their players are in prime form.
That said, ODI is a different ball game. :)