Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2007, 13:52   #1
BANNED

STOP or RUN ??

Hey, This is a strange one .... But thought I'd see how we would react or how would we like others to react ???

In case while driving, you hit some bystander or rickshaw wallah or for that matter anyone , would you stop , take a look or then just step on the throttle and vanish as fast as we possibly can ?? A lot of us would very easily say .... hang salman or any other big guy who runs over dwellers on them pavements , but if we were to unluckily end up in a similar situation ... what would we do - ?????

THINK HARD and then POST .......

Last edited by ajmat : 29th January 2007 at 13:57.
Old 29th January 2007, 14:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is tough one but so far I have always stopped (whatever small brushes I have had, this includes mine as well as my friends where I was in the car)

One of the resons for not running away is my concious which wont let me rest if I hit & run, other being fear that anytime someone might report who had hit & the police coming to get me.

p.s. Having said all this, luckily I havent been in any big situation & do not deny that their can be instances where hit & run is necessary such as to avoid Mob fury.
Old 29th January 2007, 14:20   #3
BANNED

This is an issue I feel very strongly about. You MUST stop. The couple of times I've hit someone, I have stopped and taken them to the hospital, police station etc etc and only left once the matter was settled.

I can't stand people who hit and run. They are cowards. Worse, they have no respect for life. What sickens me is how supposedly educated and responsible citizens will not think twice before tucking their tails between their legs and making a dash for it. Uncouth people like these do not deserve to be on the road.

In fact, I've just posted in another thread about a Mercedes driver who hit a biker and ran away. C Class or E Class, some people have no class.

Techno, the law is very clear: If you are involved in an accident, you must stop and help the victim to a hospital. If a mob is gathering, you are allowed to leave the scene, but you must immediately report to the nearest police station.
Old 29th January 2007, 14:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

I agree Shiva, probably I should have mentioned clearly that in case of Mob fury one should run to the nearest Police station.

@shiva: Franly speaking law is not really clear I have seen people getting harrased just because their vehicle was bigger & also when the hit person is not willing to charges but the Police will still harass you.

So sometimes its also due to the way the system works. Anyways this is OT.
Old 29th January 2007, 14:44   #5
BHPian

boom shiva

I'd agree with boom shiva . Unless your life is in danger and the other guys is not its ok to run away, but report the incident at the nearest police station or hospital. If the guy that had been hit needs immediate attention, there is no way we can run. We got to save a life, its acceptable to be threatened by mob as long as its not life threatening to us. It is not easy, but I think we got to be prepared for it.
Old 29th January 2007, 14:46   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Franly speaking law is not really clear I have seen people getting harrased just because their vehicle was bigger & also when the hit person is not willing to charges but the Police will still harass you.
Very true. Our crazy law states that it is always the bigger vehicle that is at fault!

But then, unless there is a real possibility of mob fury, we should always stop and help out. Even if it isn't our fault.
Old 29th January 2007, 14:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey boom, i think you got your man. Someone's conscience is pricking. LOL.
Just kidding Khaadu.

Damn, no. Never run away from a situation like that. Our first priority in that situation is to try & show some consideration for what has happened. These things are never intended & there is no point in running away from it. Even if no one is hurt, it is ethical to stop & enquire & when somebody is really hurt, they should be helped.
Old 29th January 2007, 15:50   #8
Team-BHP Support

just put urself in other persons shoe, stop and attend to with basic help if required

if you doubt mob fury, just drive to nearest police station or patrol car and report

very honestly it aint worth running, just make sure you have your insurance and other documents in order
Old 29th January 2007, 16:05   #9
BHPian

hey members did u see todays midday or mumbai mirror not sure a guy was stopped by the beat police because he was driving rashly out of the blue some guys come and start thrashing him and the cops had a though time separating them,i think things like these and the attitude of the cops prevent people from stopping
Old 29th January 2007, 16:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Depending on the situation..i doubt i would ever go to the police station to report it....cause once your there..even though its not your fault...it becomes your fault...
I have been in a hit n run twice...but not major ones...
STOP!!!! well briefly to see if they got back on to their 2feet..and then carried on...
Old 29th January 2007, 16:24   #11
Team-BHP Support

are we supposed to live with the system or are we supposed to contribute in whatever way to change it, do whats right, agreed it will cause great deal of discomfort (trust me, been there done that)

hey then again its india, anything goes as long as its majority vote, we can always blame it on "whatever" also
Old 29th January 2007, 16:33   #12
Max
BHPian

honestly I will run like hell until I feel the guy who is hit will die. My friends have been in such situations before and they was beaten badly by the crowd. One of my friend who hit child bicycle was beaten up very badly. Actually while he was driving little bit speedy an 10 years old child who was driving cycle suddenly took left turn and he got hit by his activa. Since my friend was going at 40kmph he wasn't able to brake fully and hit the bicycle. The boy fall down and was not hurt serious at all but instead of that an lady passing near by started shouting and 3-4 man came forward and started slapping my friend. They slapped him and when he protested one of the guy came forward and punched him, they also took Rs.500 for boy as compensation. Why he was slapped and harassed because he stop to help the boy. He said there was no mistake on his side except he was driving little bit fast. The boy suddenly took left turn and hit his activa.

I feel people also should behave responsibly and don't start beating driver. They should talk to him and further seek police attention if required. Crowd should not beat driver as nobody really wants to kill anyone on road under his vehicle. Normally walking people on the road are crazy and uneducated stereotypes.
Old 30th January 2007, 01:40   #13
elf
BANNED

At the risk of being flamed, I really don't know what I'd do...
Old 30th January 2007, 02:16   #14
BHPian

I will just narrate one of my own experiences-

I was returning home at about 10pm in my rd, near Banashankari complex a Indica suddenly comes out of a by-lane and i was at a fair clip....i tried every thing i knew,managed to avoid him and fall elsewhere,

Within no time a group of boy's smoking nearby rushed and LIFTED MY RD first and ascertained IT'S damage,and totaly furious went upto the hapless(!!!) Indica driver and started abusing him in...well colourful language,

The guy(with his family)was really scared and i by then re-collected my wits went upto the scene..to see if i could join in and air my greviences too!!!

The sight was not pretty,2-3 had him by the collar and his wife was pleading,and the crowd was not in a mood to relent unless i was compansated!!

According to THEM repairing an RD was not a cheap task and i should shut up!! and probably go to a clinic by then they would have solved the problem!!!

I was the victim,I was helpless,I had no say!My heart went out to the decent couple being harrased for a road accident in front of their kid's.

I....well solved the problem for them and left the spot with some injuries to both me and my bike, but the incident had shook me was not the accident...Belive me,in fact i saw my bike and myself after i reached my home,

Please think about what i said,I the victim did not have a say,but the family was manhandled with a case pending in Banashankari police station..

Not for my accident but for Assult,molestation(of the lady)and intimidation...they stopped..i was game for talk's...If I had not helped them it could have been worser,So what could be the solution for this?

There are several other thread's on T-Bhp on similar situation.What can be done here then?and no these are no longer isolated incident's atleast in bangalore.
Old 30th January 2007, 03:27   #15
elf
BANNED

Accident:
An undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap.

I think we should keep that in mind. Nobody really runs around looking for people to harm, injure or damage.

Most Viewed