Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2019, 17:50   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Aadhaar: Address update procedure and related issues

The central & state governments across the country are slowly tightening the bolts and nuts across public and private institutions to ensure some level of address validation with appropriate checks are in place. When one is moving from one location to another, updating the new address on IDs is becoming very important. Nowadays most banks, telecom, and various utility organizations are becoming very stringent in the address update process.

While the rent agreement becomes the default document to initiate the address change for all IDs and utilities, another route that is used by many is updating the Aadhaar card address. The Aadhaar route is quite flexible with over 31 options for submitting an (alias) address proof ranging from utility bills to government IDs.

For those (like me) who sometimes fall into the situation of not having a proper address document proof, there is a new option that UIDAI has enabled on the Aadhaar website which I recently utilized; updating the address via the Address Validation Letter. Under this option, one can update their address (where they are presently residing) in their Aadhaar with the consent and authentication of the address verifier (a family member, relative, friends, landlord) who is willing to let them use their address as proof.

While most of the process is online, the Address Validation Letter is a physical letter which is sent to the Verifier’s address. The letter will contain a secret code sent for validation after the Verifier consents to the use of his/her address by the requesting resident. After the request is submitted successfully the resident will get the Aadhaar Validation Letter within 30 days from the date of raising request.

The process is quite simple

Step 1 : Resident (you) initiates request at link
1. Resident logs in with self Aadhaar#
2. Enters Verifier Aadhaar#
3. Obtain Service Request Number

Step 2 : Verifier receives a link for consent on his mobile and gives consent

Step 3 : Resident receives confirmation of Verifier consent on his mobile
1. Logs in with SRN
2. Preview Address and submits request
3. Obtain Update Request Number

Step 4 : Resident obtains Secret Code to complete process
1. Resident receives the Address Validation Letter with the Secret Code via post
2. Logs into Update Address via Secret Code
3. Reviews the new address and submits the final request
4. System updates the Address over the next 48 to 72 hours

The below video provides a decent view of the above steps.

The overall "official" timeline is 30 days as per UIDAI. One can choose to reach out to the helpline for any support (they have access to your application details and support/guide on the process). Depending on what step you are, the SRN or the URN are your application reference number. One can also check the status online at link. However, if you ask them about expected closure timelines, the answer will be the default official timeline.

From a realistic timeline per se, the above process took me the following duration
Step 1: Day 1
Step 2: Day 1 (immediate)
Step 3: Day 1 (immediate)
Step 4: Day 5 (Via normal post - refer to the attached letter)
Step 5: Day 7 (address reflecting on site)

Aadhaar: Address update procedure and related issues-aadhaarupdate.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 29th January 2021 at 04:18. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 09:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Aadhaar: Address update procedure and related issues

I recently tried to update the address on Aadhaar, for my wife and I, as we are moving to another apartment. After 10 days, I am checking the address update status and it doesn't even recognize the URN for both requests. The request was processed in person at HDFC bank. This was not an online update.

The stupid website keeps saying "Please enter a valid URN No."

What does this mean? How long does it take for the URN to available in the database.

Last edited by Samurai : 9th January 2020 at 09:36.
Old 9th January 2020, 10:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Aadhaar: Address update procedure and related issues

I did this last year - was pretty smooth. All I had to do was give a copy of my SBI passbook to change my address and then did it for my wife via my aadhar. The online system works pretty well.

@Samurai : Maybe it is some mess up on the HDFC side. I suggest you do it on your own.
Old 9th January 2020, 10:25   #4
BHPian

Oh, do I have a story for you in this or what!

Okay. So we finally moved in to our new home-sweet-home and I thought, "Hey, why not get the address updated in my Adhaar since now I am a home owner". Wifey, for some reason, isn't too bothered about this.
So I check the list of documents accepted as Adhaar address proof.

-Sep-2019: Bingo! I have the sale agreement of my apartment! But hey, the first page mentions that I live in the rented place while I bought this one! Nevermind, I uploaded it.
Outcome: Rejected: Reason-Document not self attested. [Dayumn!]

Oh okay, so I self attested and uploaded again.
Outcome: Rejected: Reason-Address mismatch!
Say whatttttt? Probably 'cos of the rented place address also being mentioned!

-Oct-2019: No worries. I next uploaded the sale deed! The frikkin' 44 page long document, which is 3MB big! Nevertheless, I employ some magic, reduce its size, sign & attest the document and upload.
Outcome: Rejected: Reason-Address mismatch! [Whatttttttt?]. Probably 'cos the address is in multiple places (name of location on page 1, society on page 2, apartment and block number of page 5)

-Dec-2019: Disappointed, I next picked up the RC of my brand new car. But since it was only a month old, I only had the digi locker RC. Got the screenshot, printed, signed and uploaded again.
Outcome: Rejected: Reason-Invalid document. [Ya, understood. Screenshot so...]
-Mid Dec: So off I go to the Koramangala RTO! Get in line and get the RC card in-person (where surprisingly no one asked for a single penny!). I'm glad now! On top of the world! I have my actual RC and will finally get my adhaar card updated!
Scanned, signed & uploaded!
Outcome: Rejected: Reason-Address mismatch! [Say whattttt?]
Some one at Hyundai in all their wisdom mis-spelt Salarpuria as "Salrpuia". Now I had no inkling that the UIDAI was such a stickler but heck they did show me the door and a boot too! Enquired at RTO for a spelling change but was told the hassle isn't worth the uptick.

Since then, I have uploaded the vehicle insurance to no avail (since it has the same grand spelling mistake as the RC), tried GAIL gas commencement form (which wasn't accepted either.)
Next, I had my eyes on the electricity bill! Yay! That was a sure shot success, at least in my fictional world! The first electricity bill is generated and I'm beyond words! Jubilation and then dismay. Seems like the builder hasn't yet transferred the connections to the owners and bill had the builder name.
Now, I'm waiting for the GAIL gas first bill. Hopefully it'll have perfect spelling, name and address, 'cos hey! UIDAI doesn't mess around!

My wait for correct Adhaar address continues.

Last edited by ValarMorghulis : 9th January 2020 at 10:26. Reason: spacing
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 10:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I recently tried to update the address on Aadhaar, for my wife and I, as we are moving to another apartment. After 10 days, I am checking the address update status and it doesn't even recognize the URN for both requests. The request was processed in person at HDFC bank. This was not an online update.

The stupid website keeps saying "Please enter a valid URN No."

What does this mean? How long does it take for the URN to available in the database.
That's strange. The only place where for some reason, I never could use UIDAI website is my office.

Outside office network (maybe proxy), I was able to do everything easily online.
My Passport was recently renewed with the new address and I used the same to update Aadhar address. URN took 3-4 working days to reflect and an SMS would confirm the same. Within 2 weeks, I got my new Aadhar Card mailed to my apartment via Speed Post.
Old 9th January 2020, 12:06   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
-Oct-2019: No worries. I next uploaded the sale deed! The frikkin' 44 page long document, which is 3MB big! Nevertheless, I employ some magic, reduce its size, sign & attest the document and upload.
Outcome: Rejected: Reason-Address mismatch! [Whatttttttt?].
I am using the sale deed too. But I knew it will be rejected by online people. So I did it via HDFC where I can talk to the agent. Now I don't know what happened to the address update request. I can't even get a status.
Old 9th January 2020, 12:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:

Did you try using the property tax receipt as proof?

Looking at the list of accepted documents, I can think of the following workarounds:
  • Pay a nominal rent to your wife and register a rent agreement showing the correct address.
  • Take an insurance policy for a small amount and ensure that the correct address is mentioned in the policy document.
  • Update your address on the electoral rolls (electricity bill and sale deed should be enough for that) and use voter ID as the proof

Once a person in the household gets the address updated, other members can get it done without any proof.
Old 9th January 2020, 13:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Ok, I was also in the same boat, But finally able to change it in the Aadhar by following the below method.

With Sale deed change your bank address(Preferably SBI) and get the passbook updated and with the help of the SBI passbook you can easily change the Aadhar address online.

or alternatively, you can try as per OP post and that should work.
Old 9th January 2020, 14:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Guys, my parents Aadhaar cards both have incorrect DOB's. Getting that changed is a priority for me. Is it the same process as the address change or is something different. A point to note is that my parents have had the aadhaar cards for a couple of years and not bothered to change the details. Will that be an issue
Old 9th January 2020, 14:52   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
....I'm waiting for the GAIL gas first bill. Hopefully it'll have perfect spelling, name and address, 'cos hey! UIDAI doesn't mess around!
When we moved houses recently, I first tried with registered rent agreement (listed as an acceptable document), but they rejected it.

Surprisingly, the gas connection transfer was absolutely seamless (took only a couple hours total), and I booked a cylinder refill to obtain my first bill.

Changed Aadhaar address successfully with that, then used mine to generate a reference letter to update the better half's. Pretty seamless, to be honest.
Old 9th January 2020, 17:12   #11
BHPian

First of all thanks everyone for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Did you try using the property tax receipt as proof?...
Since the society and the apartment is new, property tax, etc. documents are still work in progress. I missed out on uploading the house insurance document! Thanks will check with it again. Have applied for the new Voter ID card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarer View Post
..With Sale deed change your bank address(Preferably SBI)...
This is my next go-to method if all else fails. OPs method works only if one member already has the address updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
...the gas connection...
We have a piped connection. Honestly hoping the first bill (generated on 01-Feb) will be my Brahamastra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
...So I did it via HDFC where I can talk to the agent....
Which method is this? I know online is one and then one can go to Adhaar centres. Which banks accept address change in Adhaar? Did you get an SMS with the URN number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Guys, my parents Aadhaar cards both have incorrect DOB's. Getting that changed is a priority for me. Is it the same process as the address change or is something different. A point to note is that my parents have had the aadhaar cards for a couple of years and not bothered to change the details. Will that be an issue
I think you can do it online provided you have the cellphone numbers mapped to the Aadhaars. I don't think a delay will cause any issue. Try it.
Old 10th January 2020, 08:34   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I missed out on uploading the house insurance document!
I think you'll need a life insurance policy mentioning the correct address.

Quote:
I think you can do it online provided you have the cellphone numbers mapped to the Aadhaars. I don't think a delay will cause any issue. Try it.

When you register for Aadhaar, it is always recommended to take your time and read each and every word properly. In case of young children or elderly people, it would be good to accompany them for enrollment, to get everything correct the first time.
Old 10th January 2020, 08:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Guys use an SBI or other nationalized bank passbook with address. That works the easiest. Everything else gets rejected left-right and center.
Old 10th January 2020, 10:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The process is quite simple
Thanks for the details. I am yet to update my new address on aadhar. Will do so one of these day.

I do find the processing on address change rather annoying. In every other country (that I am aware of) the process so very straightforward that change of address is not even looked upon as a chore, unlike in India!

Luckily, I have had very good relations with some people at the SBI bank. They promptly do the necessary address change and I use that for any further changes required elsewhere.
Old 10th January 2020, 10:30   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Which method is this? I know online is one and then one can go to Adhaar centres. Which banks accept address change in Adhaar? Did you get an SMS with the URN number?
Most major banks have aadhar center within them. Even private ones like ICICI, HDFC or Axis. At my nearby HDFC branch, they do only 20 customers a day. So you have to pick up the application token by 10am, otherwise 20 applications will fly fast.

BTW, no one answered my original question. How long does it take for the URN number to be available for online status checking on aadhaar website? I waited 10 days before checking, and the URN is still not online.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks