Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2019, 11:14   #31
BHPian

re: The 'Ford vs Ferrari' Movie

I watched the movie last weekend & after a long time enjoyed a Hollywood movie. It is gripping & the race scenes are edge of the seat exciting. Like any good movie, it's a tale of insurmountable challenges & how they are overcome.

In this case, cracking impossible deadlines & pushing things through an impenetrable bureaucracy. While the movie on the surface is a tribute to "American Ingenuity & Perseverance", it also makes a cheeky statement about the stuffy corporate culture at Ford.

There is an unforgettable line by Matt Damon in the role of Carroll Shelby - "You can't win a race like Le Mans by committee". I draw parallels with the experience of foreign brands in India. "You can't win a market like India by committee".

Sadly enough this is the reason so many like GM, Ford, Nissan, VW have come to grief in this very challenging market.
Old 20th November 2019, 23:10   #32
BHPian

Just came out after watching the movie with BHPian Redstallion. Brilliant movie. Folks, if you want to watch it, watch it QUICK! It's a small audience so it may even be out of theatres before you know it!

Cheers!
Old 24th November 2019, 18:18   #33
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

After a long time, saw a movie on the big screen. Ford vs Ferrari, with my son and brother, good production values and IMO typical American movie where the underdogs challenge the champs. I would rate it at 3/5 as I could not connect it to the emotionally, as most race based films are more about the passion than just the machine.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th November 2019 at 18:44. Reason: Spacing, typos.
Old 25th November 2019, 15:47   #34
BHPian

Watched Ford V/s Ferrari.

5/5 for me.

What direction and acting. Special mention to how race sequences have been shot. Gem of a movie and when you know it is based on a true story, you feel overwhelmed for how there are people who are ready to sacrifice their everything for their passion. A must watch.
Old 26th November 2019, 04:49   #35
BHPian

Guys go watch Ford vs Ferrari, with over 8 rating on IMDB, this is a movie that needs to be seen in theaters. What a story line, the gripping track cinematography and oh my, the sound of GT40 burning the rubber is something that needs to be felt. This is one movie where my breathing was synchronized with the drive. I dont want to spoil the fun for you, so no spoilers or reviews from me. 5/5
Old 26th November 2019, 11:16   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Took 2 iconic cars to an iconic movie! Had way too many social commitments, so wasn’t able to go earlier. My Jeep & Blackwasp's 800:
The 'Ford vs Ferrari' Movie-20191125-19.01.52.jpg

Me, Blackwasp, ChiragM & Aditya:
The 'Ford vs Ferrari' Movie-20191125-19.35.05.jpg

At PVR Luxe, the only way to watch such a special movie IMHO:
The 'Ford vs Ferrari' Movie-20191125-19.35.16.jpg

Ford vs Ferrari = 5 / 5 stars!

This is a must-watch movie for all petrol-heads. Good car movies are anyway so rare (last awesome one was my namesake - Rush).

It’s a l-o-n-g flick, but you won’t know it. A hell of a story, with Ford behaving like a lover spurned. The story progresses superbly & the performances are brilliant. Christian Bale is simply fantastic; Matt Damon was his usual self, although I don’t think he did “Shelby” too well. Even non-car people will love the movie - take your family along.

Motor racing is a lot about egos & the human spirit. This movie demonstrates that pretty darn well. It’s also a great reminder of the ‘mechanical’ era that is now behind us. One can literally feel the purity of those cars as they drive on the track. Some of the visuals are breathtaking – the shots of the Ford & Ferrari side by side on the long straight made my heart skip a beat. Equally, you are reminded of how far cars have come. There are at least 10 references to “7000 rpm” in the movie. Hardly a big deal today. Heck, a mass market car like the Honda City does 7,100 rpm!

Was extremely happy to see one of my auto industry favourites, the great Lee Iacocca! There’s a couple of minutes around the Mustang launch too.

Above all, the movie shows how special cars & special drivers have a soul . One spirited drive actually made Henry Ford II cry – amazing scene.

Will watch again (on TV) for the finer details that you don't get the first time around. Overall, I will say that “Rush” was a more enjoyable watch, although that’s understandable as it was also around more powerful personalities in a sexier sport. You can’t compete with James Hunt & Niki Lauda.

Trivia: Alcohol is completely censored out in the movie, just like Team-BHP’s forum rule #11 .

Last edited by GTO : 26th November 2019 at 11:22.
Old 26th November 2019, 11:47   #37
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 'Ford vs Ferrari' Movie

Great movie but a few boo boo's - am really being a trivial nit picker

1: LeMans was never broadcast live on American TV.
2: The accident is in Turn 2 but the smoke is behind the pits
3: Its daylight in both Le Mans and in the US when the race is on - The earth is flat!!!

Loved how Shelby dropped the nut and whacked the stop watches from Ferrari!
Old 26th November 2019, 12:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

I loved RUSH and I so wanted to see this. Sadly, not a single show is playing in any of the multiplexes in my city. Even frozen 2 is playing but not this one which is so ridiculous. Only option is to watch it in Delhi or Noida but can't do that too as my partner in crime, my Wife is on bed rest. So, looks like will have to wait couple of months for this to stream out. I envy all of you but hope you guys had fun
Old 26th November 2019, 12:52   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

What a great watch. I thought it would be boring for the family to watch so, after a few efforts to drum up support to watch it with friends, went alone. Need not have worried, the family would have loved it too!

Matt Damon is competent and likeable as always but Christian Bale really steals the show. That English accent is delightful!

I thought the movie was probably over dramatised a tad (unlike Rush which I thought was actually quite realistic in its depiction of the lead characters) but the chain of events is so riveting that it really doesn’t matter.

It was my privilege to represent Team BHP at the Le Mans in 2015 and watching the flick made me relive those wonderful 24 hours...and yearn for a time where it was more about the drivers and less about the technology! The ‘66 Le Mans, on which this movie is largely focused, must have been incredible to behold!

5/5, and will definitely watch again.
Old 27th November 2019, 10:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Interview with Matt Damon and Christian Bale on Ford vs Ferrari:

Some behind the scenes shots:
Part 1:

Part 2:

What a movie! Petrolheads would probably relate to those all too familiar feelings associated with racing - rising upto the challenge, surmounting it and proving what you already knew - that you knew your limits that much more, knew your car and its limits that much more and after assessing the competition - knew that you would win.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th November 2019 at 18:53. Reason: Spacing.
Old 27th November 2019, 11:02   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
What a great watch. I thought it would be boring for the family to watch so, after a few efforts to drum up support to watch it with friends, went alone. Need not have worried, the family would have loved it too!
I also thought my family may not enjoy it, but was amazed and delighted when all, including my 10 year old daughter, loved it! Infact, we even had discussions about the race, events and characters! The next day I played back the tribute feature by James May from the Grand Tour episode (Season 1, ep 6) based on Ken Miles and the interest had to be seen to be believed.

As for the movie, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Christian Bale stole the show, and I'd gladly watch it again.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th November 2019 at 00:34. Reason: Deleted blank row.
Old 27th November 2019, 16:27   #42
BHPian

I guess after Rush this was the most pure racing movie which I got to watch. The focus on the cars was really good and the cheeky examples of Chritian Bale making the Ford bozo realise the current gen Mustang was all Show no Go were excellent.

If i may draw some parallels with Rush :

1. Niki Lauda Drives the Ferrari and starts lamenting in how bad the car was - Ken Miles drives the first prototype at the airport and exclaims how bad aerodynamics the car's got.

2. Niki lauda shows off his driving skills to his wife when they take a lift - Shelby asks Miles to "Drive like Hell" at Nascar the way he shifts and blows the competition away was exhilarating.

Being a hardcore purists who simply loves manual transmissions, i think without the MT and shifting being there, half of the emotion from driving/racing will vanish.

When my wife saw the Niki Lauda scene in Rush she told me that it was because of the movies i watch that i shift like the way i do. So knowing that there would be quite a bit of high speed crashes, brake failures involved in this movie, i somehow managed to got to the movie with 2 of my friends who are Bhpians and petrolheads.

Last edited by adneo : 27th November 2019 at 16:30.
Old 27th November 2019, 17:14   #43
BHPian

I watched the movie just 2 days ago and loved it, highly highly recommended for petrolheads. Having a Honda City in the house made the 7000RPMs dialogue even more special .

I went with a friend who wanted to watch Frozen 2 but I was able to convince her to come with me for Ford vs Ferrari and to my surprise, she enjoyed the movie as well!
Old 27th November 2019, 17:32   #44
Team-BHP Support

I think the icing on the cake was when Shelby took Henry Ford II for a spin...literally!
Old 27th November 2019, 21:16   #45
BHPian

For me, it came close to the top gun (my favourite)

I had so much fun relating to my pre MBA career of being a vehicle development engineer. I remember taking the designer for a limit handling test and the designer puking after it much like Mr Henry Ford II in the movie.

Most Viewed