Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2019, 14:06   #16
BHPian

Re: Shame on Bharti-Axa! Marketing through children's school project work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Just because its happening since a long time does not make it right.
Why would a childrens colouring competition require the profession of the parents?

This is WRONG on so many counts. It needs to STOP!!!
Never implied what Axa is doing is right!
There is an ethical way to market, and then there is this. The school bears some responsibility, as they're the ones who grant permissions. It is notoriously difficult to get permission in the top schools (even for money).

That said, SCPs are a great tool for brands. One of the most memorable SCPs was done by Intel for the Beanstalk (2004 or so). They took a PC to school, did a demo about how a PC makes for a great learning tool, and with the details captured, sent offers for PC purchase directly to homes. It was an EMI construct, about how a PC could be bought for a down payment of 1000 rupees or so, and that campaign is credited with fueling the PC revolution in many parts!

This is the sad fact of being in a marketing agency. Sometimes campaigns are great, with a purpose beyond just sales, and then sometimes there is a chota bheem colouring competition.
Old 19th July 2019, 15:26   #17
BHPian

I don't think so it is a problem that Bharti AXA promoting their name however they should not do this to collect private information.

Privacy / GDPR / ISMS is not a very sensitive topic in India. It's urban and educated population who is more concerned about it.

Before we blame government or school for collecting data, we need to do a self assessment.
  1. How may of us have following apps installed in our phone?
    Truecaller, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Zomato, BigBasket, Flipkart, Amazong, any banking app, 1MG, Google Pay, PayTm.
    Are these apps different from other data collectors. Each of them have access to more sensitive information than mobile number.
  2. How many of us are part of those whatsapp groups where we don't know 90% of the group members.
  3. How may of us know someone who has clicked on a link and provided all his details and 5 referrals and that to be just to make his whatsapp icon blue.
  4. Do we know someone who has filled up a form to participate in a lucky draw or to win a pen in a shopping mall?
  5. If you go to government sites, and go to a details page and then try changing id mentioned in url, their system will start spilling out the personal information of other user. That's the level of though and security in their framework.
Old 19th July 2019, 15:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Literally appalled at the way companies have infiltrated our personal lives! Now they want to get us through our children!! !
I don't think one should be really worried or bothered on these. This is just a petty case in comparison to the kind of database scam happening in this nation.

This is very direct so we are reacting. I am sure the ins co can get such data with much lower effort and in large quantities.

Do you know there are technologies that can push ads to your phone based on the content you are watching on TV? Yes, in India.
Old 19th July 2019, 18:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome any comments or views here!
I generally provide my late father's disconnected mobile number in such cases. Be it at a mall, or one of those free lucky draw competitions etc, in this case, as someone suggested, feel free to write the school principal's number.
Old 19th July 2019, 19:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Literally appalled at the way companies have infiltrated our personal lives! Now they want to get us through our children!! This (attached picture) is what was given to my son in his school as a coloring project today! I was simply shocked to see how Bharati Axa is using children to get potential leads by requesting phone numbers of the parents! Imagine how many children (even some parents) would have unsuspectingly provided their (of their parents/guardians I mean) telephone numbers and would have fallen prey to the ever growing personal database scam!!

How do I ensure this is escalated (I am taking it differently with the school management) to IRDA? Would IRDA do anything about this? Any channel I should follow? Welcome any comments or views here!
I doubt whether any action will be taken as many suggested even our Govt is hands deep in these mess. Just to add up, I would say expose them on Social Media like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc. Also if you are forced to fill the details, then provide some dummy or School Principal or Enquiry Office Numbers.
Old 20th July 2019, 18:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quite unethical IMO, companies are doing their best to expand their reach, sadly this seems to be worst way possible, adding to this kids are exposed to social media and other contents which even adults find very hard to get addicted to!

If we think we are safe from this kind of brainwash, reality is that we are like a fish that can't see water since its so deep in the ocean, every single decision we make is being influenced by companies in one way or the other.

We do need laws at least to protect the future generations from these giant brainwashing machines.
Old 23rd July 2019, 14:05   #22
BHPian

My son's school has Chota Bheem branding all over the place.

Right from the uniform pockets to book covers to Shoe buckles!. It's a blanket monopoly in merchandising at every level.

What's more the chota bheem mascot came over to say hi to the kids and there was a special screening trailer of the Kungfu Bheem, or whatever movie was released recently.
Old 23rd July 2019, 15:15   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
My son's school has Chota Bheem branding all over the place.
Woah! Man that is so wrong on so many levels!

Thinking back, we were exposed to some level of branding at school, I remember an annual 'Camlin' painting contest, and in the 90s the Times of India started a newspaper program that distributed the ToI in schools. Schools also had their 'favoured' supplier for almost everything. But this is taking it to another level altogether!

Targeting kids through TV or movies is one thing, parents can choose to turn those off. Targeting kids at school is just plain wrong. What in the world are the school management and teachers doing?! This is supposed to be their job, protecting kids while they are at school.

What's the power equation between school management and parents like these days. When I was a kid, the balance of power was firmly in the hands of the school. With PTAs and social media these days, has it changed? Can a group of parents get together and raise this with a school so it will have any effect? Or are things just the same as when I was in school?

If so, then posting it on social media and hoping it gains traction is probably the only thing to do.
Old 28th July 2019, 19:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Data privacy is little understood in India by either private sector companies or the Government.
True. If one talks about Data privacy in India they will be immediately labelled , if we are from the IT world where we either work for MNCs or have spent long spells in the West on work assignments , hence we're mocked to have absorbed these western concepts of 'privacy' being all sacrosanct.

Our approach towards data privacy needs fundamental change, both in thought process and subsequent action.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks