Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Old 6th December 2019, 14:29   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Types of restaurant customers

My restaurant has an open kitchen and customers can see everything going on there. This had more to do with space utilization in my case. The logic that one has a right to see the production of everything one consumes should be applied to all businesses, why just restaurant? Can someone just barge into a Reliance factory or the cabin of SBI's chairman? What if they are adulterating petrol or doing frauds from their computer?

Privacy of someone's working space needs to be respected, whether a cook or a CEO. Trigger happy customers may feel that just because a kitchen is accessible they have a right to enter it, but sorry it can't work that way. They have every right to complain about the hygiene to the appropriate authority. In the end it's all about soft targets, both for government and customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
I wonder how this will work in the context of managing customers within restaurant kitchens (viz known to be a high stress area).
My guess is this will fizzle out like many other diktats, such as ban on plastics and smoking in public areas. However, assuming it doesn't, I still don't foresee many customers wanting to do this, apart from the vigilante types who want to sue anyone and everyone around them. For restaurant owners it will be best to train their staff on handling a surprise 'guest' in their midst from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
So the customer will do the job of the food safety officer? Does the customer understand what he is to look for? Can customers be allowed to walk in from the road into any restaurant kitchen and look around? Or, are we expecting a new upside-down Kitchen Nightmares series?

What next? Patient's attendants are supposed to walk in and inspect the cleanliness / sterilization levels in hospital operation theatres?
Haha, true. I like it that the department is being honest about offloading it's load to the public
This is like encouraging a mild form of mobocracy. What happens if the police decides to offload its load to the public?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Logic would have it that when the economy isn't doing well, Govts would reduce regulations and help ease of doing business (in order to improve economic activity), but pragmatism works in the strangest of ways.
Well said

Last edited by Malyaj : 6th December 2019 at 14:46. Reason: Realigned text for better clarity
Old 12th December 2019, 16:16   #92
BHPian

Onions @ Rs 200/Kg. How do you manage such situations?.

No onion dosa during such periods?.

Last edited by srini1785 : 12th December 2019 at 16:17.
Old 12th December 2019, 16:33   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post

Here is how a Subway outlet managed the same
Attached Thumbnails
Types of restaurant customers-screenshot_20191212163120877_com.reddit.frontpage.jpg  

Old 12th December 2019, 20:31   #94
BHPian

Quote:

My restaurant is temporarily closed due to relocation so we are unaffected by the wrath of onion gods. Some of the steps I would have taken to reduce onion tears would be - 1) Stop including onion in salad and raita, 2) Take off from the menu gravies which use onion as a base.

My guess is Biryani restaurants must have been hit hardest as it is impossible to make it without fried onions (used both in caramalized form in marination and while layering).
Old 13th December 2019, 10:50   #95
BHPian

Ahh ok.

Totally . What is a Michelin star rating for a restaurant?. Similar to ISO 9001/ 2015 certification for a manufacturing plant?. Does the tyre company sponsor this rating?.
Old 13th December 2019, 12:01   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is a Michelin star rating for a restaurant?. Does the tyre company sponsor this rating?.
Yep, it was originally started by the tyre company Michelin as a way of popularizing driving in Europe. But it's not like an ISO standard. AFAIK, they initially published a guidebook that listed restaurants rated by 'worth a visit if on your way', 'worth a detour' and things like that based on their opinion of the food. I guess that morphed into this star rating system.

From what I understand, it's a pretty intense process. Michelin inspectors go 'undercover' to try out restaurants and finally assign stars. Remember reading a great article about the process, can't recall where. There have been allegations that the whole process is biased towards French cuisine and towards 'food trends' as opposed to variety and simple good food. But a star can certainly change a restaurant's fortunes and are very sought after.

The Wikipedia article is pretty comprehensive actually: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_Guide

Last edited by am1m : 13th December 2019 at 12:03.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 21:25   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj View Post
My restaurant is temporarily closed due to relocation
I know times are very bad for the dining out business. How are you managing in these times?
fordday is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 10:37   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
I know times are very bad for the dining out business. How are you managing in these times?
I have shut down permanently !

Most Viewed