Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2012, 22:41   #181
BHPian

Re: Remember when.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Remember when you had to watch Walt Disney on DD with those aluminium antennas at 8:30 or 9:00 on sunday.
..and adjusting those antennas every other day for clearer reception and literally shouting and asking the person in front of the TV about the picture quality.

Remember bringing the video tapes (Video Cassetes) on rent and running back for returning it due to poor print quality.
Old 25th February 2012, 23:05   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
..and adjusting those antennas every other day for clearer reception and literally shouting and asking the person in front of the TV about the picture quality.

Remember bringing the video tapes (Video Cassetes) on rent and running back for returning it due to poor print quality.
Yeah, the reception quality went down seriously after morning. Then you had the VCR. Now about the VCR..

Remember when you rented a tape and you finished a movie, then you happened to find another movie after the ending, then another movie after that ending.
Old 25th February 2012, 23:09   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Remember when you rented a tape and you finished a movie, then you happened to find another movie after the ending, then another movie after that ending.
Sure. Once we saw climax of about 4 movies one after the other upon finishing the original movie, and we called it a "Paisa Vasool"
Old 25th February 2012, 23:29   #184
BHPian

Remember "nimma mechhina chitra geetegalu" on all India radio. (bangalore folks only may know) It used to play everyday at home around 8am in the morning.

Serials used to have such a lasting effect. Remember ramayan surely. Other good ones like nukkad, giant robot, street hawk - the man the machine the street hawk.

Lml vespa used to be the new age scooter. Bajaj was forced to add indicators to the chetak.

BSA launched a slew of cycles. Street cat was my dream. Along with that a few girls cycles were also launched.

Riding my uncles single seater Luna was fun. It even had a "cycle" mode which could be activated by pressing a button on the side where the chain sprocket used to be, that disconnected the engine and you could just use it like a cycle by peddling.

Kinetic spark was a 3 geared moped/bike - was unique for it's time.

Kmf had milk vending booths where you buy a coin and drop it into the machine to get milk vended.
Old 26th February 2012, 01:59   #185
BHPian

Hi everybody
Remember when a cinema ticket was 31 paise(lowest class) and rs 2 and paise 62 (for balcony)
Remember when a second hand car/scooter would cost more than a new on(you had to wait years after booking to get a new one).At that time you could use a your car for a few years and sell for the same price.
Remember when you had to wait for 20 years(at some exchanges)to get a telephone.
Remember when you had to have a card to buy milk.
Remember when you booked a call and had to wait for hours and when you got connected you had to speak so loudly that the whole neighborhood could hear you.
Remember when petrol was rs 1.5 yes 1.5 per litre.
Remember when sunday evenings were devoid of traffic as there was a movie on Door Darshan
Remember when there were no flyovers and no signals and very few no parking signs.(the first flyover was at Kemps Corner Bombay)
Remember when the buses had alphabets denoting the route rather than a number.
Remember when the petrol bunks had to close down after 1300 hours on sunday.
Remember when people drove in Bombay without the headlamps on.
Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 26th February 2012 at 02:01.
faustus77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 15:13   #186
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!

Remember when you were in middle school you used to stealthily watch Urmila's "Tanha Tanha", Karishma's "Sundara Sundara" and Raveena's "Shahar ki Ladki". Man, bollywood was fun in the 90's. It freaking dull and too businessy now. Less quality and more marketing.

Fortunately you don't get to see the marketing gimmicks of hollywood movies here in India : so they still feel charming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
Remember when a cinema ticket was 31 paise(lowest class) and rs 2 and paise 62 (for balcony)

Remember when petrol was rs 1.5 yes 1.5 per litre.

Sir, I really wish I was born a few years earlier ( atleast 20 ). Life would have been much easier ( I hope). Or perhaps I'm just imagining. But atleast, human beings were human beings then.

( sorry mods, only realized after posting this that I could have added this to the prev post )
(ps, and my post count is not increasing for the last 4-5 posts; it was 250 a week back and I'm sure I've posted atlest 4/5 after that and they have not been deleted )

Last edited by GTO : 3rd March 2012 at 20:29. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 26th February 2012, 15:38   #187
Senior - BHPian

Remember when the Indian cricket team used to win matches?? Or at least put up a fight??
amitoj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 16:03   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Remember when the Indian cricket team used to win matches?? Or at least put up a fight??
When was that? During my lifetime on all hard tours I've always seen us struggle all the time. Nothing new with what's happening now. We didn't plan well retirement of the oldies and It's biting us now.
Old 26th February 2012, 16:13   #189
Team-BHP Support

For the Bangaloreans..

Remember when Brigade Road was a two-way road?
Old 26th February 2012, 16:53   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
When was that? During my lifetime on all hard tours I've always seen us struggle all the time. Nothing new with what's happening now. We didn't plan well retirement of the oldies and It's biting us now.
Every team struggles in away conditions. But at least we used to give it a fight.
I remember when Ganguly, Yuvraj, Sachin etc were younger, and Bhajji used to be able to spin the ball and Pathan/Zak/Ishant used to swing the bowl and put it in the right areas and Kumble used to nag every batsman. We used to lose, but not cave in match after match.
Old 26th February 2012, 17:08   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Sure. Once we saw climax of about 4 movies one after the other upon finishing the original movie, and we called it a "Paisa Vasool"
If it was an english movie, the happier I was.

I still remember the very first English movie I saw on our new VCR.

Remember watching Air Wolf , Knight Rider , Street Hawk series and last but not the least Firefox.
Old 26th February 2012, 18:13   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
For the Bangaloreans..

Remember when Brigade Road was a two-way road?
And there was a time when I could walk all the way from Jayanagar 4th block to Ulsoor lake during any time of the day!!! Now if I try that, by the time I reach MG Road, they'll take me for a lost african in the city!

By the way pollution problem is so bad in the city I hear people complain in our society that sometimes they see their kids bleed from the nose!!! Its scary!
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 18:50   #193
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
(ps, and my post count is not increasing for the last 4-5 posts; it was 250 a week back and I'm sure I've posted atlest 4/5 after that and they have not been deleted )
Posts made in the "Shifting Gears" do not add to the posts count.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 22:22   #194
Senior - BHPian

Remember when one used to get the team-bhp membership without answering questions like Which Policy? Which Indian Car? Why Team-BHP?

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Remember these two shows

Childhood Memories Revived.

Last edited by bluevolt : 26th February 2012 at 22:51.
Old 27th February 2012, 02:17   #195
BHPian

Remember when-a few more memories (all my own work)
Remember when apple was only a fruit and nothing else
Remember when gay had a different connotation
Remember when only generals had aides(ADCs)
Remember when trains had AC,second and inter class over and above first and second.Sleeper class was not yet introduced.(Bet not many members have heard of inter class and second class.Inter was phased out in early sixties and second in early seventies)
Remember when Bombay Delhi STD cost was rs 36 +5%tax per minute(not too far in the past) and now it is 33 paise +10% tax per minute
Remember when mobile calls were Rs 16 + tax per minute for outgoing same for incoming.
Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 27th February 2012 at 02:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks