Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 22:32   #256
Joy
BHPian

Re: Remember when.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Remember the black land-line telephone sets in which you had to dial the number by rotating the numbered wheel. Line used to be very disturbed and one had to repeat that process many times due to no option of redialing. Result: Sore fingers. Also they had mechanical bell type ringing device. The typical TRING-TRING
I still love this kind of telephone set (of course with improved service), as because it was/is the loudest till now and it helps when one is alone in a apartment and he is in bathroom or some other place. Also more importantly, as an alarm.
Old 29th March 2012, 15:57   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Remember the typewriter era. ... There used to have special typewriting classes (practicals & Theory) ...
All my colleagues used to queue up to take the class and exam - as if it was mandatory to work on keyboards (then recently introduced) as a career-related skill. I couldn't understand what the hullabaloo was about - I learnt touch-typing just looking at touch-typists and consulting a book on typing borrowed from a library. I was inspired by a French guy touch-typing on the terminal of a Bull computer - I was fascinated. Was able to touch-type really fast with a couple of weeks of practice.

Quote:
... Remember the black land-line telephone sets in which you had to dial the number by rotating the numbered wheel ...
Difficult to believe, but most youngsters today do not recognize it as a telephone. I have a telephone like that with an antique handset built into an antique-looking wooden stand. Nephews & nieces refuse to believe it is a telephone, till I make a call with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
... booking a trunk call ...
STD came much later, along with mechanical STD Locks which everyone else tried to bypass / disable.

The trunk, or operator assisted, calls reminds me of a simple & very effective communication system used by stock brokers earlier: someone in Bombay (it was Bombay, right?) would place a call to a number of an associate stock broker in say Amdavad, and ask for Manda-bhai (e.g. "Manda-bhai Cementwala chhe?"). If the party answers "nathi chhe" via the Operator, it was an indication that Cement company quotes were on the rise. The reverse was "chhe, ek minit" and cut the call - call charges could start only when the party comes on line!
Old 29th March 2012, 23:03   #258
BHPian

Remember checking water in the car/jeep radiator everyday before driving off and topping it up intermittently at line-hotels/dhaabas on the highways!

OT: I remember seeing truck drivers pouring coconut water in their truck radiator, which was broken as a part of the puja. Hoping that the holy and divine water would bless the engine!!
Old 30th March 2012, 07:15   #259
BHPian

Remember the extremely thick syringe needles being boiled in the doctor's clinic , being prepared for your injection and your dread. Thank god for the thinner syringes.
Old 30th March 2012, 08:13   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Remember checking water in the car/jeep radiator everyday before driving off and topping it up intermittently at line-hotels/dhaabas on the highways!
remember it like...... it was yesterday

this still happens
Old 30th March 2012, 09:02   #261
BHPian

Remember when these 2 were used together

Remember when.....-cassette.jpg

Our kids / Gen Y would not know what I am talking about and how they are related
Old 30th March 2012, 09:09   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post

Our kids / Gen Y would not know what I am talking about and how they are related
We used to do a similar thing on the video cassette. Our VCR's rewind/forward function didn't used to work. So we inserted a pencil to unlock the rollers, inserted two AA sized pencil batteries in the grooves and rotated it almost thousand times to rewind and watch the film.. phew

Watching films or listening to songs were quite an exercise, but it was a lot more fun!
Old 30th March 2012, 10:14   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 909099

Oh man, I remember the number of times we had to use the pencil (and even my little finger) to rewind those tapes. Thanks a lot Fillmore. It sure brought back memories
Old 30th March 2012, 10:19   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 909099

Yeah, nataraj was ALWAYS champion when this happened!!
Wow, its been almost about 8 years since I completely stopped using this, but it seems just like yesterday when I used to make a playlist on sonique player, on my 120MHz pc(), Raise the amplification to 150%, and connect it via aux cable to my walkman to tape on a sony 90 minute cassette!!

fun days, mostly so now because I had so much time to actually play 90 minutes of songs to be able to listen to them in the car!
Old 30th March 2012, 13:56   #265
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 909099

Certainly remember, LOL. You have had it if you happen to twirl it in the wrong direction, which happened with me.

On related note, remember when auto-reverse cassette players came out? It was like a giant technology leap.
Old 30th March 2012, 14:35   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
On related note, remember when auto-reverse cassette players came out? It was like a giant technology leap.
True !! talking of which also when the players with a double cassette deck came out , that was another !! .
Now you can play and record on the same set !! how cool is that
Old 31st March 2012, 17:59   #267
BHPian

Motor Boats, Anyone wants a ride?
Attached Thumbnails
Remember when.....-1.jpg  

Old 15th April 2012, 00:40   #268
BHPian

Hi everybody
Remember when you used to get rupee traveller cheques(SBI's were the most widely accepted) and the famous adline" Dont leave home without it"
Remember whe there were no synchromesh gears in our cars(until Maruti 800) and you had to reduce your speed to near zero before you could downshift to the first gear.After travelling to Leh have wondered how people went there in their Fiats.
Regards
Old 15th April 2012, 16:51   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Remember when DD Metro (DD-2) was aired for only 2 hours in the night. Also, noons on DD1 had the show called Fun-Time and Giant Robot
Darn, you brought some long gone memories back man.

I still remember the days when I used to walk around in house with cups with oil wicks plastered inside and tied inverted to my back mimicking the Giant Robot's nozzles
I think I've even once asked mom to light it for me, and you know what happened
Old 15th April 2012, 20:12   #270
Senior - BHPian

Does someone remember buying vegetables with pocket change and fruits in quantities of 5 kgs especially during summer vacations.
Now we need to think 10 times and need to go to ATM before going to shop for fruits and vegetables.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks