Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2009, 19:02   #61
Senior - BHPian

Be rest assured, transporting by road is equally good as far as your car reaching safely without dents etc is concerned as long as you go with a reputed transporter - ( have transported my car 3 times so far by road and have had a good experience so far ) - have one more shifting coming up in a months time !

I think the rate quoted by Alok is quite close to what you would pay

Easy way to check reg railways is to just go to the railway station and speak to the parcel booking office. google can't possibly give you this info

and these days, most of these govt offices are quite customer friendly ( relatively speaking )
Old 17th April 2009, 20:00   #62
Senior - BHPian

use road transport, dont use or reply upon Indian Railways for transporting your car to Dehradun.

road transport will be a door to door delivery, though it might be little expensive then railways.

do get your car a transport insurance done for the journey!

Last edited by Parm : 17th April 2009 at 20:03.
Old 17th April 2009, 20:02   #63
Sha
BHPian

Guys anybody has transported Vehicle from bangalore to delhi through train.
how many days it takes.
Old 17th April 2009, 20:17   #64
Senior - BHPian

Well, my dad transported his Mark 2 Amby by train from Calcutta to Delhi back in '79. From his experience, I would not recommend it. The car was put into a wagon which carried limestone, and this caused some corrosion to parts of the Amby body :-( (He got the car painted again within a year to prevent rusting etc)
Of course, modern cars have much better grade steel and paint finish, but it just illustrates kind of issues you may run into ...
Old 17th April 2009, 20:30   #65
Senior - BHPian

DDguy as our moderator Khan bhai said just speak to fellow BHPians and guess what they will be more than happy to drive the car to Dehradun

Shifting by Train is also a good idea and guess this can be done without any problem, but you need to be carefully packed so that the railway staff do not mishandle the vehicle.

Last edited by gowda79 : 17th April 2009 at 20:32.
Old 17th April 2009, 20:38   #66
BHPian

Transporting by truck would be a better idea - even if it is slightly expensive.
Old 17th April 2009, 21:38   #67
BHPian

wow....lots of rather divergent opinions on this thread !!

Will pursue the truck model when the movers&packers folks are here at home for our relocation quote.

Khan Bhai - not sure if anyone wants to drive a Santro from Bangy to Doon....:-)
Old 18th April 2009, 14:29   #68
BHPian

Trust me on this count. Here are the truck transports of my cars on various occasions -

1) Ford Ikon from Bangalore to Delhi - Jan 2005
2) Ford Ikon from Delhi to Bangalore - Jan 2006
3) WagonR from Delhi to Bangalore - Jan 2007
4) WagonR from Bangalore to Delhi - Feb 2009

Except for 1) when I hired the services of Agarwal Packers and Movers, who stole the fog lamps of my Ikon, my experience has been pretty good. After the fog lamp fiasco, I vowed never to engage Agarwals. For that matter, now I have a favorite packer/mover who is in Noida and has helped me shift household stuff and cars at least 6 times. So much so I am dependant on him that he manages stuff for me in Bangalore sitting there in Noida

Not to mention the loyalty rates that I get from him whenever I make a move

PM me if you need to have his services for transportation of your car.
Old 18th April 2009, 17:36   #69
BHPian

Haven't read through the whole thread, but here's my experience.

My experiences in moving

Delhi - Bangalore (2004) : Some Transporter of Marutis @ Gurgaon. Delivered beyond Nelamangala (outsidethe city), though the intended delivery was near MG Road. The Odo showed that the car had been driven around 600 kms on the way, one of the tires had a big whole in it. The car was dirty as hell (inside and out).

Hyderabad - Delhi (2006) : Agarwal. Car reached on time, in same condition as sent. Collected @ Gurgaon (scheduled it that way so I could fly down to Delhi, collect the car close to the airport, and drive home)

Delhi - Ahmedabad (2007) : Another Transporter of Marutis @ Gurgaon. Delivered in town but after a lot of follow-ups, and fighting with the delivery guy. Again, extremely dirty; but thankfully no issues with the driving part - at least the Odo reading didnt alarm me, and the car handled fine.

Whenever I move back to Delhi, I'll make sure to keep a day at hand and drive down.

Its just the luck of the draw with transporters, but the bigger the name the more you can make yourself feel at ease while the car is in transit. Also, try the transporter for a manufacturer which has its production unit close to the car's destination (for example, a transporter serving Maruti if the car is intended for NCR) - they would be going back after delivering new cars to the dealers and hence have more room. That might get you a cheaper.

Best option - Drive down, Indian roads getting better by the month.
Old 23rd April 2009, 08:43   #70

Folks, thanks for the help. I have finally decided not to transport the car, but rather sell/scrap it in Bangalore. It's a hard decision, but there seems to be no alternative as no one will use it in Panchgani even if I send it there.
Old 12th May 2009, 15:13   #71
Senior - BHPian

Transporting 2 Cars from BLR to HYD... but how??

My family is moving from BLR to HYD next week. We need to get two of our cars to HYD too. The problem is, we could drive it down but then besides me, we need another person to drive the second car. Since the distance is about 600kms approx. calculating the fuel costs, it would come to about 2800 per car. Would it work out cheaper if we put both on a truck or anything like that?

Is there any way i can get a driver to come with me to drive the second car?? Any agencies or like that are there in BLR?

Also, it would be great if anyone of you are interested in joining.

Thanks in advance
Karthik
Old 12th May 2009, 15:16   #72
Senior - BHPian

Truck will charge you around 8000 per car.
you can try with the vehicle movers. It still would be cheaper to drive down.

Which cars are they?
Old 12th May 2009, 15:19   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
Which cars are they?
Skoda RS and the Honda Accord/Mitsubishi Cedia (have to decide one either of them)
Old 12th May 2009, 15:21   #74
Senior - BHPian

If you provide return tickets Speedzak and me are in.
Old 12th May 2009, 15:24   #75
Senior - BHPian

It is better to drive and after hearing the names of the Car all the ears are open in T-BHP and they will be ready to help you out in driving it.

The shipping through Lorry will be more costly than what you will be paying for fuel/return ticket for the person who drives for you to get the car to your place

Most Viewed