Team-BHP - ISRO: Chandrayaan 2 lander located on Moon's surface
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   ISRO: Chandrayaan 2 lander located on Moon's surface (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/213016-isro-chandrayaan-2-lander-located-moons-surface.html)

The lander was supposed to touch down today early morning on Moon. Sadly, due to some technical glitch, ISRO lost contact with it when it was around 2.1kms above Moon's surface. The details should be out shortly as to what went wrong. The sketchy details say that the lander rockets fired at 100% when they were to fire at 70%. This increased the rate of descent. The orbiter is still in orbit of Moon and will keep on conducting studies for an year or so. This mission cannot be stated as a total failure because one part is still there in orbit. ISRO deserves a pat on back for visiting Moon twice.clap:

ISRO: Chandrayaan 2 lander located on Moon's surface-img_20190907_023552.jpg
The final shot from orbiter of Vikram.

So near yet so far. What a disappointment. Space is really hard. Feel so sad...:Frustrati

Having taken the payload successfully for 3.8 lakh kilometers, as feared by the ISRO scientists, the terror struck during the last 15 minutes. I still cannot come to terms that the mission could not be successful. I can understand how the scientists who put all their effort behind all this for years must be going through. Hats off for all their efforts.

ISRO: Chandrayaan 2 lander located on Moon's surface-emotions.jpg

We will succeed in the next round. Our scientists and engineers and the entire ISRO team deserve the nation's applause for what all they have done and achieved through indigenous design. I am glad the PM adopted a positive approach which is refreshing from the usual bureaucratic one. In July 1969, when as a child, I sat listening on the radio to the Apollo 11 landing never could I have imagined that in 50 short years an Indian moonshot would be reality. Jai Hind.

Everybody fails the first time. We were aware of the risks. Of 37 or so missions, the success rate is around 37%. Kudos to the ISRO team for trying. I am sure that they would find and fix the problem and try again until we succeed.

ISRO needn't worry about this last minute debacle. Failures are the stepping stones of success. Just this morning, I was watching on NGC the sad loss of three lives in the Apollo 1 fire mishap. Compared to that, ours is just a minor setback.

What's worrying is the huge media circus that the project has been since the day of its launch. The weight of expectations on the people involved was simply too much. And that exactly is what has amplified the quantum of this failure.

Add to this the political mileage that the wannabes want to extract out of each our scientific and research achievements, and we have a perfect recipe for disaster.

My wish is for the scientists to be left alone to do their work; quietly, efficiently. The task of popularizing science and broadcasting achievements shouldn't be thrust upon them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltoLXI (Post 4653095)
So near yet so far. What a disappointment. Space is really hard. Feel so sad...:Frustrati

Having taken the payload successfully for 3.8 lakh kilometers, as feared by the ISRO scientists, the terror struck during the last 15 minutes. I still cannot come to terms that the mission could not be successful. I can understand how the scientists who put all their effort behind all this for years must be going through. Hats off for all their efforts.

Attachment 1913309

Belonging to the technical community, I can feel how it hurts, these failures. Extremely proud of ISRO, irrespective of whatever happened! It was no mean feat, and let us just be VERY HAPPY and GLAD for ISROs achievement so far. clap:

Had tears in my eyes feeling so proud for the engineers who worked so hard. Its a great achievement and I think there was too much pressure on ISRO with PMs presence and all the exposure given to the event.
Its for a reason that its so rare a success to land.

Had an uncomfortable feeling last night - there was just too much hype as if this was a done deed, and we all know that a soft landing is not easy to do and even the Soviets and the Americans had many failures. But failure is indeed the stepping stone to success - so with some luck, we will build on this and succeed the next time. My son pointed out that the last time a man landed on the moon was before I was born (and he certainly thinks of 46 year old me as an old fogey). The scale of that technological achievement is truly spellbinding.

VIKRAM located intact! Yet to make radio contact! Great news...

https://www.indiatoday.in/science/st...857-2019-09-08

Let's hope comms is restored!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneCollector (Post 4653058)
The lander was supposed to touch down today early morning on Moon.

The lander has been located, thanks to the orbiter.clap: Now the assessment is going on for further information as to what went wrong. Details awaited.

https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1170610654232731648?s=19

There is another detailed information shared by Prof. K. Vijayraghavan, the Principal Scientific Advisor to GoI. Details here - https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...441750528.html

Hope they can try to contact pragyan directly. Or it's not powered up and slave to Vikram. Hope some communication happens. With thrusters on the edges and one main one in center, it should have been a critical dance to be stable and speed.

Thanks for sharing, BoneCollector! Moving to a new thread :thumbs up.

Congratulations on taking one more step towards our scientific development. I really want to see the day when these steps will make us capable of manufacturing our defense and domestic electronics ourselves.

The prestige associated with these achievements stem from their capacity to influence the scientific capability of the nation here on earth.

It would be interesting to see the pictures of the what is left of Apollo moon missions too on the moon's surface from the orbiter. I hope they hadn't evolved in to moon-rock in these 50-odd-years.

Apparently the lander is resting on its side and hence not able to receive signals:

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/newsi...18Ka?ocid=News

Congratulations to ISRO team on this phenomenal achievement. It is no mean feat to have the mission successful short of 2 km from the target. The braking of the lander from its nominal orbital velocity to zero horizontal velocity and just a few meters/sec vertical velocity is quite tricky and the four thrusters working to reduce the velocity have to be synchronised, else, the lander craft will topple and lose communication with the earth. A free fall from 2 km will be damaging for the craft and it would be difficult to survive.
Anyway the orbiter is doing very well and due to the precision of orbit injection will have surplus fuel for a longer than expected life.