Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Are you cutting the cord?
Yes 335 70.97%
No 109 23.09%
Other (please specify in your post) 28 5.93%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2019, 22:27   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cutting the cord - Ditching Satellite TV

Nearly 20 million viewers opt out of DTH services as bills start to pinch

Drop in active subscriber base coincides with regulator TRAI’s new tariff order

An increase in cable bills have started to have an impact on the direct-to-home market with DTH operators witnessing an unprecedented 25 per cent fall in subscribers in the April-June quarter.

According to a report by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India, DTH services had an average active subscriber base of 54.26 million in the quarter ended June 30, a 25 percent drop from 72.44 million active subscriber base reported in January-March quarter. This coincides with the new tariff order implemented by the regulator from April 1.

Source
Old 14th October 2019, 13:09   #137
BANNED

Are there any online PPV services for latest Hindi movies? Movies which have been released recently & not yet premiered on TV. If it supports Chromecast, then it would even be better.

Last edited by carboy : 14th October 2019 at 13:26.
Old 14th October 2019, 13:22   #138
Senior - BHPian

I sense a lobby at work. Else it is plain suicidal for DTH prices to go up just when everyone is opting for streaming services.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Nearly 20 million viewers opt out of DTH services as bills start to pinch. Drop in active subscriber base coincides with regulator TRAI’s new tariff order
Old 14th October 2019, 14:03   #139
BHPian

I have cut the chord more than a year ago. Hotstar, Zee5, SonyLiv, Netflix, Hoichoi (for regional content) and Amazon Prime through Fire Stick take care of all my viewing.
Recently I got a Samsung smart Tv. Apart from Hoichoi, everything else is available there. I am reasonably satisfied.
Old 14th October 2019, 17:57   #140
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Cutting the cord & ditching Cable TV is not an option in our household since my parents require their dose of news & entertainment programming and at the moment would not be comfortable surfing the streaming platforms. Their TV is more than a decade old, so its not a Smart TV either!
I may explore the same as currently we are paying more than Rs 700 per month for both tv's.

Btw, what internet speeds are required for streaming content on the Smart TV? I'm making do with 3mbps since I don't spend much time at home.
Old 14th October 2019, 20:26   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post

Btw, what internet speeds are required for streaming content on the Smart TV? I'm making do with 3mbps since I don't spend much time at home.
You'd need a 15-30 mbps plan, at least. But bandwidth is quite cheap nowadays, isn't it.
Turning parents away from dth to streams, though, that's an an almost insurmountable barrier. For all its benefits, my parents still haven't switched to amazon or hotstar, even though everything they want is right there!! To the extent that I've given up getting dth out of their house.
Old 15th October 2019, 00:16   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I sense a lobby at work. Else it is plain suicidal for DTH prices to go up just when everyone is opting for streaming services.
I love seeing these small, subtle (or not so subtle) connections. Me thinks it is a push by (ahem) one of the Internet Service Providers to move customers to streaming platforms.
Old 20th October 2019, 09:17   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

I've a question for the subscribers of Hotstar. What's the difference between Hotstar VIP and Premium subscriptions? Can I use Hotstar on my Amazon Fire Stick if I subscribe on mobile?

I've recently stopped my multi-TV connection. So looking at various options before I ditch TataSky completely.
Old 20th October 2019, 09:48   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I've a question for the subscribers of Hotstar. What's the difference between Hotstar VIP and Premium subscriptions? Can I use Hotstar on my Amazon Fire Stick if I subscribe on mobile?

I've recently stopped my multi-TV connection. So looking at various options before I ditch TataSky completely.
I subscribed from my laptop and use on my fire stick. Tried from the mobile but it tries to make you pay again via iTunes
Old 20th October 2019, 10:52   #145
BHPian

Quote:

Hotstar Premium subscriber here.
Yes you can use Hotstar with your Fire Stick. I use Hotstar via the app on my smart TV but use it via the Fire Stick on my non-smart TV. All you need to do is download the Hotstar App on your Fire Stick.
I do not believe Hotstar VIP gives content in HD.
Disney Plus premium channel is going to be offered to Hotstar Premium subscribers when it launches here.

Quote:
Walt Disney Co. announced the November 2019 launch of its highly anticipated, ad-free video streaming service, Disney+, in the US. However, the company is unlikely to launch the platform in India and, instead, route the original content created for the new OTT (over-the-top) service, and its movie library, to Indian audiences through Hotstar, the video streaming service owned by Star India, people familiar with the development said.
Quote:
To be sure, the decision to bring Disney+ content under Hotstar is based on the latter’s wide reach, besides the potential of the Indian market.
According to Disney’s own estimates, Hotstar clocked in 300 million monthly active users (MAU) in March. It is also the number one entertainment app in the country in terms of MAU, downloads and revenue, according to the FICCI-EY media and entertainment industry report 2019.
VIP subscribers will not have access to premium English content as mentioned in the article linked below.

Quote:
However, the new pack will not have premium English content from the HBO, Disney, Hooq or even 21st Century Fox.
For Rs 999 pa, I find it cheaper to subscribe to content via Hotstar for Star sports rather than paying Rs 22.02 pm for each Star Sports channel on Tata Sky.

For HD content and Disney Plus alone, I would recommend you shift to Hotstar Premium.

Hotstar VIP

Disney Plus
Old 20th October 2019, 11:16   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I subscribed from my laptop and use on my fire stick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Hotstar Premium subscriber here.
Just another quick question, how many devices can be simultaneously logged in and on how many can it be viewed at the same time?
Old 20th October 2019, 11:59   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Just another quick question, how many devices can be simultaneously logged in and on how many can it be viewed at the same time?
You can log into your Hotstar premium account on multiple devices with same login id but.....

As per below Hotstar FAQ & Quora reply, you can only watch one premium program while simultaneously watching a non-premium program using the same id.

Quote:
Are there any restrictions on my membership?

At this point in time, only one premium video is playable from one subscriber account. This is to ensure that your premium membership is not misused.
In case you see an error that says you are trying to access premium videos from more than one device, please check if you are already streaming another premium video at the same time from another device. To continue watching the current video, make sure you have stopped the earlier video. Refresh on current device to continue watching the premium video.
Netflix allows you to have 4 separate accounts for the same membership but Hotstar allows only one account for each Id.

Hotstar FAQ

Quora Reply

This answer by Pratik Barjatiya, in the same Quora post.

Quote:
You can watch premium content over multiple devices but not simultaneously. Eg. You can watch a non premium content on device A and watch premium content on device B with same credentials simultaneously.
You can have upto 5 devices for some premium contents like Disney, Fox, etc When you exceed the number of devices oldest device is unregistered and new is added.

Last edited by Ithaca : 20th October 2019 at 12:02.
Old 22nd October 2019, 13:05   #148
BHPian

Is there a way to sign up for Hotstar Premium without them having my card or account details?
Old 22nd October 2019, 14:07   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
Is there a way to sign up for Hotstar Premium without them having my card or account details?
Hotstar allows Paytm. Safest way to pay since your bank account is not exposed to their servers.
Old 22nd October 2019, 14:14   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Nearly 20 million viewers opt out of DTH services as bills start to pinch Drop in active subscriber base coincides with regulator TRAI’s new tariff order
I wonder why the DTH providers are not taking any action on this revenue loss due to the foolhardiness of TRAI. Unless this is part of a bigger grand plan. In my opinion not all would have access to internet and depend on the DTH services and in the earlier days this was the most affordable way of entertainment in many homes. Having to lean on the internet for everything may not be the optimal way as far as this segment is concerned!

Last edited by sumathindra : 22nd October 2019 at 14:14. Reason: edits

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks