Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Are you cutting the cord?
Yes 335 70.97%
No 109 23.09%
Other (please specify in your post) 28 5.93%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2022, 18:09   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cutting the cord - Ditching Satellite TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoscenario2000 View Post
And these ads are worst than TV ads (read 16+ content) & not appropriate for kids while watching their favorite TV channel.
Am no expert on the matter and could be wrong. This just might be linked to the Google account on the device. Changing the Google account or it's setting to a lesser age might take care of the issue.
Old 4th March 2022, 19:38   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Am no expert on the matter and could be wrong. This just might be linked to the Google account on the device. Changing the Google account or it's setting to a lesser age might take care of the issue.
These are not Google account linked ads. Furthermore, my Google account ad preferences settings are set precisely as rightly mentioned by you. Even I've created seperate profile for kids on smart TV as well as Apps. These are ads thrown from OTT Apps like ZEE5, Sony Liv, Hotstar, Voot and so on for their original OTT series/content, while streaming live tv channels from their app.

These are proper promotional trailer/teaser video ads which runs as soon as there is ad break while watching live TV streaming on smart TV. In short, these ads replaces actual live tv ads broadcasted during program break.

Sometimes these ads runs during actual live streaming for 5-10 seconds & then again live streaming resumes.

Last edited by yoscenario2000 : 4th March 2022 at 19:41.
Old 21st April 2022, 11:02   #198
BHPian

I have discontinued my Tata Sky connection because all the channels which I subscribed and more are available on the Jio set top box which is bundled with the Jio broadband connection. I'm getting all the channels live, and not only the app version where I have to manually select the content to watch.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 14:36   #199
BHPian

NETFLIX STOCKS TUMBLE 37% ON REPORT OF LOSS OF SUBSCRIBERS

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/90969270.cms

I still have satellite TV so cannot comment on this thread.

I just though of sharing this news.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 18:04   #200
BHPian

Voted NO.

But we were never heavy TV users. However, over the years, we have gradually stopped watching it. Subscribed to almost a basic package. Only use it for Sports, regional news and few lifestyle channels. Don't have patience to switch between streaming apps for these things.
Old 21st April 2022, 18:37   #201
BHPian

I finally ditched TataSky last month but haven't been able to find any app where I can watch BBC or CNN (international, not cnn-ibn). Any idea?
Old 22nd November 2022, 10:44   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello guys,

Wanted to subscribe to Discovery Plus, but it mandatorily wants you to give them an 'as & when presented' auto-debit mandate for 10 years. I understand that I can cancel their subscription later, but still I am not comfortable giving any such entity an auto-debit mandate. They have options to pay through UPI, credit and debit cards. Anyone who has got a workaround so that I can avoid this auto-debit stuff?

Thanks in advance,
Saket
Old 22nd November 2022, 11:14   #203
BHPian

Anyone has had luck casting the FIFA World Cup matches onto the big screen? In streaming it is available only on Jio Cinema app, which apart from being appallingly poor, does not allow to cast it. The only other option seems to be reactivating Tata Sky, but I would like to avoid it as the connection is in our bedroom TV and I cannot watch late night matches there.
Old 22nd November 2022, 12:18   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj View Post
Anyone has had luck casting the FIFA World Cup matches onto the big screen? In streaming it is available only on Jio Cinema app, which apart from being appallingly poor, does not allow to cast it. The only other option seems to be reactivating Tata Sky, but I would like to avoid it as the connection is in our bedroom TV and I cannot watch late night matches there.
I found a workaround by accident. Was watching the England-Iran match on the Jio Cinema app on my iphone then got tired of staring at the tiny screen, so I switched to Hotstar and cast the content to my LG webOS smart TV using the Apple Play option. After a while I switched to Facebook on my iphone and noticed the option to play FB videos via AirPlay had been automatically activated. On a hunch I went back to Jio Cinema and- lo and behold!- the match started casting via Apple AirPlay on my TV. Initially there was a glitch: I could hear the audio loud and clear but no picture. After a while I could see the video perfectly and it was in HD (I have a 43" TV and there was no pixellation). No buffering either, which has been the bane of this telecast.

Watched the rest of Eng-Iran and the entire Senegal-Netherlands match that way!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 12:27   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone has had luck casting the FIFA World Cup matches onto the big screen? In streaming it is available only on Jio Cinema app, which apart from being appallingly poor, does not allow to cast it.
This issue is being discussed in "The Football Thread" also. I am thinking of going to the local cable guy, and since the cabling is already there in my flat, he may be able to give a quick connection.

Watching sports and news is something that has drastically come down after I cut the satellite TV cord. While not watching news/debates has improved my peace of mind and quality of life, I want to get back to following sports. FIFA WC would be good incentive .
Old 22nd November 2022, 12:35   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I found a workaround by accident.....
Thanks. I hope this trick will succeed with an Android phone too. When I tried to do a normal screencast from within Jio Cinema, it didn't allow, saying "Casting is not allowed for this content". So I will try by casting another app first !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
This issue is being discussed in "The Football Thread" also...

Watching sports and news is something that has drastically come down after I cut the satellite TV cord.
See the solution provided by @noopster above.
I have also stopped watching sports mostly, and watch only the 4 grand slams and the FIFA/Euro tournaments.
Malyaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 12:56   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone has had luck casting the FIFA World Cup matches onto the big screen?
Jio Cinema app on FireTV seems to work. Showing preview of next match, probably match will stream as well.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 10:56   #208
Team-BHP Support

Cut the cord around a month ago.

I was never watching television anyway, save for Moto-GP on and off. The STB was exclusively for my parents. With recent suggestion from my Fiber optical guy, got a coupe of STB's and now, everything is sorted. Parents had some difficulty in switch-over & while they miss the set-up, You-Tube absolutely rocks for them.

I am personally against a TV in a bedroom, but parent's room is an exception.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th May 2023 at 12:15.
Old 13th April 2023, 11:21   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I voted No.

I love TV because of the variety and random selection it gives me....
Three years ago, I relocated to another city during lockdown and decided to leave my STB connection behind. I planned on getting a new connection once the pandemic situation improved. Three years and that day never came. And since I didn't have my dish TV, I was forced to become a slave to the OTT platforms (have 6 of them already). BUT, I still miss the dish TV. And I hate spending 30 mins every day just to decide what I should watch on OTT only to realize it's not available.

These past 3 years, whenever I am traveling and staying at a hotel, I love to spend the maximum time in front of the TV. Post checkin, I ask the attendant to check that the TV is working. I am sad/angry if they have limited channels on offer.

So why have I not got a fresh satellite connection already? The quality of content on the channels have gone down the drain (probably due to dwindling viewership). Good evergreen movies are not streamed anymore. Most movie channels have same dubbed movies telecast on repeat. Good music channels have been killed. And I am not able to do justice to the 6 OTT platforms, an added satellite TV would be an overkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I remember making this same point on some other thread long time back.
The reason why I like Traditional TV and Radio is that you are not living like a frog in your self created well. (Of course you still are, in a lesser way, because of your choice of channels)

I like chancing upon something new and novel every now and then.
Have you retained your cable TV connection? How has been your experience in the past few years.

Last edited by ashis89 : 13th April 2023 at 11:31.
Old 14th April 2023, 13:45   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

Have you retained your cable TV connection? How has been your experience in the past few years.
I moved to Mumbai, where Jio fiber was present in the colony. So shifted to Jio set top box.

This gives me both options" "Live TV" which is the live streaming by channel - the same as "cable", and then you have the option to browse "at will" through the programs listed on the channels (like youtube).

I still prefer "Live TV" on the STB, I haven't really like the "all content available at your finger tip" all the time on OTT. To be frank I have ended up watching nothing at all on this mode!

My wife on the other hand is a binge consumer and I think prefers it to live TV mode.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed