Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2019, 23:11   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Singapore calls colas unhealthy; bans ads for sugary drinks

This is a very good move. Great to see that countries have started recognizing Sugar as health hazard.

I hope this happens soon in India as well.
Old 12th October 2019, 07:48   #17
BHPian

Colas are unhealthy, no doubt. Indian government too raised GST on them recently.

But packaged fruit juices like tropicana etc are not that great either. Remember watching a Netflix documentary which said that fruit juices are not less evil either.

Loaded with sugar supplements in the name of 'low sugar'

I personally don't bother with fruit juices. Plain fruits are ideal.
Old 12th October 2019, 07:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
They have calories and calories are good
This is the biggest misconception that has been injected into the minds of the masses. Coca-Cola loves to promote the Calories In/Calories Out model.

The truth is that a calorie is metabolised differently based on the source from which it's coming. 100 calories from sugar is not the same as 100 calories from vegetables/fruits.
Old 12th October 2019, 09:37   #19
BHPian

Indians eat way too much sugar. And with Swiggy ‘n all, this is worsening manifold. Good move by SGP.

I know so many in 33-45 age range with diabetes. It is sad.
Old 12th October 2019, 10:49   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftLife View Post
This is the biggest misconception that has been injected into the minds of the masses. Coca-Cola loves to promote the Calories In/Calories Out model.

The truth is that a calorie is metabolised differently based on the source from which it's coming. 100 calories from sugar is not the same as 100 calories from vegetables/fruits.
Spot on. It's what you call empty calories. Calories with no positives.
Old 12th October 2019, 15:45   #21
BHPian

In the Indian context I wonder if jalebis, rasgullas, laddus and other loaded sweets contribute more to diabetis than colas.
Old 12th October 2019, 18:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Colas are definitely bad for health and it's a proven fact. Many health issues have been reported.
A typical example is US where they love their colas and it goes mostly with all meals.
In India many parents are restricting their children for colas and that's a good sign. Cola with alchohol is another poison.
Hope things turn for the better.
Old 14th October 2019, 11:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

To those who are saying "let the public decide for themselves", please go and survey how much the public knows about sugary drinks or for that matter any topic at all.

Unless you have sufficient knowledge of your own, you will always succumb to the marketing. Banning advertisements is one way of killing the marketing.

The only more gentleman's way would be to ask all advertisements to carry large and catchy warnings displaying the sugar content and linkages between plain sugar and obesity. And a link between obesity and sea of disorders. Perhaps show photos of some people who are in that stage.
Old 14th October 2019, 12:10   #24
Team-BHP Support

This isn't a 'let me choose my poison' issue at all.

Anyone willing is still free to chug as much sugar in whatever form they like. Controlling 'trendy' advertising (ironically by celebrities endorsing stuff they won't touch themselves) will at least go some way in dissuading the impressionable ones (esp. kids).

Obesity and diabetes are spreading like an epidemic, this move can't come soon enough.
Old 14th October 2019, 13:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Err..no. Not everything is a corporate conspiracy!

100calories is coke is same as 100 calories in fruits. They are after all 100 calories! It's like saying 1kg of cotton has more mass than 1kg of iron!
The reason why sugary stuff is deemed unhealthy because one tends to eat a larger chunk at one sitting than, say, a fruit or vegetable.
One eats a lot more meat to fill one's tummy than veggies and since meat has more calories per gm hence one tends to consume more. Same is the case with coke/ sugary drinks. One consumes an absurdly amount of this stuff and then blames on govt./ public/ corporates etc.
Have a little self control and avoid them.

Else what's next? Ban on ghee? Ban on sugar?

I don't consume any aerated drink but I want that choice to be available to me if and when I want to indulge after a month of intense workout!
Old 14th October 2019, 13:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
100calories is coke is same as 100 calories in fruits. They are after all 100 calories!!
Compared to fruits, what cola lack is nutrients. Cola companies might add vitamins & minerals to claim their drinks are healthy. They might add 500 IU of Vitamin D and ask people to drink 3 cans of cola to stay healthy

A can of cola provides energy equal to half a meal. Having a cola can with the meal is equal to eating one & half meals. If those calories are not excreted nor expended, they get stored as fat in the body.

Last edited by msdivy : 14th October 2019 at 13:58.
Old 14th October 2019, 14:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Compared to fruits, what cola lack is nutrients. Cola companies might add vitamins & minerals to claim their drinks are healthy. They might add 500 IU of Vitamin D and ask people to drink 3 cans of cola to stay healthy

A can of cola provide energy equal to half a meal. If those calories are not excreted nor expended, they get stored as fat in the body.
Yup! Cola totally lacks nutrients and basic requirements for the body. No doubt.
It is just pure sugar. That doesn't make it bad! That's all I'm trying to say.

Burgers, sugars, fats aren't unhealthy; its their excessive consumption that is. The problem is modern society has so much abundant food that we all are turning obese. Call it lack of willpower or simple ignorance, sugars, fats aren't unhealthy. You need all of them in moderate quantities.
Self regulation and a little self control is all that is required.
As a person who used to eat 2kgs of cakes every month and now eats none, I can tell you sugars aren't bad (colas included); its their excessive consumption that pulls one down.
Old 14th October 2019, 14:26   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Err..no. Not everything is a corporate conspiracy!

100calories is coke is same as 100 calories in fruits. They are after all 100 calories! It's like saying 1kg of cotton has more mass than 1kg of iron
It's not about the calorific content of the food. It's how your body digests that food. Would you say that, as 100 calories of petrol equals 100 calories of sugar so it's safe to consume petrol. Obviously no, because our body can't digest petrol.

Similarly about the sugars, our body is designed to digest naturally occurring sugars only when it's consumed along with it's container i.e. the whole fruit. Consuming artificially processed sugary foods is toxic for the body.

So when you are hungry, it's NOT okay to say that 100 calories of sugar is same to my body as 100 calories of veggies.

Quote:
It is just pure sugar. That doesn't make it bad! That's all I'm trying to say.

I can tell you sugars aren't bad (colas included); its their excessive consumption that pulls one down.
Sir, this is exactly what I am refuting. These statements are just NOT true.

Last edited by swiftLife : 14th October 2019 at 14:29.
Old 14th October 2019, 14:59   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Similarly about the sugars, our body is designed to digest naturally occurring sugars only when it's consumed along with it's container i.e. the whole fruit. Consuming artificially processed sugary foods is toxic for the body.
Sir, can you please cite a source for this? Who told you processed sugars are toxic? Also processed sugars (or sugars in its pure form is absorbed better than natural sugars). Our bodies are designed to consume sugar in whatever form available and not discriminate. There is a big misconception that "processed" everything is bad. It is not.

Quote:
Would you say that, as 100 calories of petrol equals 100 calories of sugar so it's safe to consume petrol. Obviously no, because our body can't digest petrol.
Dear sir, I understand we are debating on TeamBHP but how did petrol come in to human consumption? We are discussing edible stuff right?
PS: 1 calorie is 1 calorie irrespective of whether you derive it out of meat, sugar, fruit or onion and that is because it is a unit of energy. Just like 1 cm is 1 cm irrespective of traveled in a car or in a bicycle.

Quote:
So when you are hungry, it's NOT okay to say that 100 calories of sugar is same to my body as 100 calories of veggies.
OK, like I said calorie is a unit of energy. In sugars a small quantity gives that energy compared to veggies which you need to consume in bigger quantities. 100 calories are still the same and are not dependent on one's hunger conditions.

Last edited by ValarMorghulis : 14th October 2019 at 15:00. Reason: spacing
Old 14th October 2019, 15:45   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
PS: 1 calorie is 1 calorie irrespective of whether you derive it out of meat, sugar, fruit or onion and that is because it is a unit of energy. Just like 1 cm is 1 cm irrespective of traveled in a car or in a bicycle.
The short answer is "all calories are not equal". This is a misinformation that all big companies have been feeding the public to make them eat their junk. Just do a Google Search "are all calories equal?" and you will see.

Here is one for a starter.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ss-thread.html (The Weight Loss Thread)

Watch or read videos by Dr. Berg, Dr. Jason Fung etc. on how sugars and carbs make one obese.

You can find lots of discussion on this topic in the Weight Loss Thread (The Weight Loss Thread).

Most Viewed