Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2019, 07:55   #61
BHPian

Re: Singapore calls colas unhealthy; bans ads for sugary drinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
OT to this thread: the same Keto diet that helped your son's seizure control can reverse your diabetes and take you off meds. There are doctors who help their patients to reverse diabetes using Ketogenic diet and/or intermittent fasting. An informative video on a study done on this topic.
Thanks brother for the info you have shared. My only concern is that Keto diet IMO is sustainable only in cold climates. Reason being, you have to limit your water intake which is impossible in hot Delhi weather. In my son's case it was hardly half a litre per day. We did the diet in winter months of Dec-Feb, after that it was impossible to follow it. If you drink more water then the ketones are washed out of your system and the diet doesn't do its effect. In our pure veg family, only for him was egg allowed to be made in our kitchen for the 3 months his diet continued.

Also, I remember reading somewhere, Aspartame causes memory loss. Cola companies give you a choice which type of death you want. Drink the diet ones and you won't remember what killed you.LOL

Last edited by autoholic : 16th October 2019 at 08:02. Reason: Last para addition
Old 16th October 2019, 08:12   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoholic View Post
My only concern is that Keto diet IMO is sustainable only in cold climates. Reason being, you have to limit your water intake which is impossible in hot Delhi weather. In my son's case it was hardly half a litre per day.
On the contrary, in Keto diet, you have to actually increase water intake and constantly hydrate yourself. As there is no glucose in the blood, the water that binds this glucose is flushed out of the body and you need to consume more water to keep yourself hydrated. For your son, the reason for restricting water may have been due to something specific to seizures, but definitely can't be due to the Keto diet.

If you are a vegetarian, keto becomes much more difficult to adapt as there are very few sources of dietary protein. Fat can easily come from butter, ghee, coconut oils etc. Because of this, the diet can get boring. And as this is not a short term diet, this is a choice one needs to make: whether to change eating habits or to continue with conventional diabetic care. Having said that I know a lot of vegetarians who are successfully following Keto and have reversed their diabetics.
Old 16th October 2019, 08:14   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoholic View Post
Thanks brother for the info you have shared. My only concern is that Keto diet IMO is sustainable only in cold climates. Reason being, you have to limit your water intake which is impossible in hot Delhi weather.

You have to drink less water in Keto?
On the contrary, I believe it is essential to drink lots of water while on Keto.

Coming to the topic, Good Move.. I dont remember when was the last time I drank one of these drinks!

Last edited by vibbs : 16th October 2019 at 08:18.
Old 16th October 2019, 09:16   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Excessive intake of anything is a problem, our diets are generally rich in carbohydrates and that combined with lack of physical activity = obesity and diabetes comes along for the ride. We have the biggest population of diabetic patients in the world. Is sugary drinks to blame? I don't think so.

Blaming so called Junk food absolves parents of all responsibility especially with kids , we are still a very home food dependent population our problems start at home as always.

In the past 6 months, my daughter had Coke perhaps twice that too because of my love for McD Coke. I'm not worried about sugary drinks one bit. For the average Indian the sugar laden countless cups of tea and coffee are far more dangerous.

Let's not forget, Sugar undoubtedly is the most addictive substance on the planet, and awareness about what all ways it can get into our system will be helpful.

PS: I absolutely love Coke, I may drink it once a month, that's it. Awareness is key , regulations are unnecessary here at least.
Old 16th October 2019, 12:29   #65
BHPian

In my opinion, anything in excess will harm. Some of them do more, others less. Try drinking 20-30 liters of water in a day to see its ill effects. The same goes for Alcohol, fruit juices, aerated drink, etc. Having them in moderation may not cause any harm or be life-threatening. I may be wrong here.
Old 16th October 2019, 13:37   #66
BHPian

What's next? Ice cream and Candies? I mean, c'mon. Once you are on this slippery slope, nothing is off limits. Governments should stick to enforcing food safety and standards and get out of policing.

And don't forget it is our government that supports sugar cane farmers and the entire sugar industry with subsidies amounting to billions of tax payer money every single year.......and expecting the same govt to tell the masses not to consume sugar is hypocricy at its best.
Old 16th October 2019, 14:58   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
On the contrary, in Keto diet, you have to actually increase water intake and constantly hydrate yourself. As there is no glucose in the blood, the water that binds this glucose is flushed out of the body and you need to consume more water to keep yourself hydrated. For your son, the reason for restricting water may have been due to something specific to seizures, but definitely can't be due to the Keto diet.

If you are a vegetarian, keto becomes much more difficult to adapt as there are very few sources of dietary protein. Fat can easily come from butter, ghee, coconut oils etc. Because of this, the diet can get boring. And as this is not a short term diet, this is a choice one needs to make: whether to change eating habits or to continue with conventional diabetic care. Having said that I know a lot of vegetarians who are successfully following Keto and have reversed their diabetics.
Yeah I think my son's was a different variation of ketogenic diet. In his case we had to check his urine regularly through strips to maintain a high level of ketones and water intake was restricted to prevent flushing of the ketones from the body.

But having experienced keto diet with my son, I for one surely cannot follow it. As he was just 7 years old at that time, we ourselves had to restrict eating or even bringing munchies like chips and biscuits in the house. You just cannot deny a kid his favourite snack while you eat the same in front of him. Its better for me to follow my daily routine of walk and yoga with diet control to help alleviate my condition.

Last edited by autoholic : 16th October 2019 at 15:00. Reason: spelling
Old 16th October 2019, 19:06   #68
Senior - BHPian

India used to be a country of people on the move, on cycles, or carts, or open trains/ buses,sweating it out . But since the bulk of the labour force moved to service industry, there was air conditioning and glass / steel architecture , cars with climate control etc. The result is that the average service industry professional cannot bear to walk for 20 minutes in the 11 am sun. We have steadily divorced ourselves from our natural environment thus reducing our capabilities and general immunity . The western cola or snack cravings only add to our misery.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 16th October 2019 at 19:08.
Old 17th October 2019, 07:19   #69
Senior - BHPian

My friends son is addicted to cola, and has health issues. There is something called Herbalife, supposed to be good for obesity related issues, and he buys that powder diligently. But when you stop, the side effects are more - he said.
Old 17th October 2019, 14:25   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
India used to be a country of people on the move, on cycles, or carts, or open trains/ buses,sweating it out . But since the bulk of the labour force moved to service industry, there was air conditioning and glass / steel architecture , cars with climate control etc. The result is that the average service industry professional cannot bear to walk for 20 minutes in the 11 am sun. We have steadily divorced ourselves from our natural environment thus reducing our capabilities and general immunity . The western cola or snack cravings only add to our misery.
Absolutely, I am surrounded by people who cant walk up 3 floors. Which is very very sad. I keep asking these guys, what will you do in case of an emergency? Can you guys even have enough fitness to perform CPR?
Old 17th October 2019, 16:09   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My friends son is addicted to cola, and has health issues. There is something called Herbalife, supposed to be good for obesity related issues, and he buys that powder diligently. But when you stop, the side effects are more - he said.
One of my colleagues took that stuff religiously and reduced a few of in a relatively short span , but regained weight as soon as he stopped it. The product contains a high dose of caffeine apparently.
Old 17th October 2019, 22:06   #72
BHPian

While sugar has understandably become the common villain, turns out there might some positives in sugar as well!

This bbc articles presents some healing powers of sugar. Apparently useful to stop bleeding and prevent bacterial growth on wounds. Who would have thought!
Old 18th October 2019, 03:55   #73
BHPian

And to think that I was addicted to this stuff two years back
I used to drink at least 5-7 bottles a week, for 1-2 years. The addiction is very true, trust me. Side effects? Depression, risk of diabetes- the usual. The only thing that got me out of that was moving out of Bangalore for high school- I have no pocket money now Even when I hit college next year, I’m staying clear of this junk.

Most Viewed