Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you move from a big city to a smaller one?
Yes 289 75.06%
No 96 24.94%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2019, 20:23   #31
BHPian

Re: Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
The grass looks green on the other side but I think it would be extremely difficult to adopt for city dwellers used to the conveniences on offer
Well, as most things in India, I think "it depends where you move to". If you take Kochi (or most Tier 2 cities in KL) the points 1 to 5 does not really apply. In fact for points 3,4 and 5 - things are much better. I may be wrong, but I am talking about the experience from the only cities I have lived for a long time - Kochi, Bangalore, Pune and Trivandrum. Life becomes a lot easier in Tier-2 cities (as in things like you don't have to worry about getting a parking space or having to drive 15 kms during rush hour).

I did take the plunge 3 years back to move from BLR to Trivandrum, was living in a very peaceful, green, neat locality in trivandrum for half the rent I had paid in Bangalore, but as fate would have it the company I worked for got acquired by a Hinjewadi, Pune based company and here I am now in Pune, always finding a reason not to travel to the city dreading the traffic and lawless driving here.

Guess it also boils down to the kind of person who. I have seen people who says "Trivandrum is 200% place better than Bangalore to live" and people who says "What a wretched city is Kochi/Trivandrum, cannot wait to go back to Bangalore".

Last edited by aah78 : 5th November 2019 at 20:55. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 29th October 2019, 20:51   #32
BHPian

How different are the salaries in tier-1; tier-2; and tier-3 places for similar job descriptions and companies?

From the list that Samurai has put up, I don't think (guess) there would be much of a difference for folks in places in Bangalore (tier-1), Mysore (tier-2); Chandigarh (tier-2), etc in similar roles and companies.

My vote is for NO. I don't mind moving if I do have to, but given a choice I prefer to stay put in one place!

However, I do know of few families that have had to move from Bangalore for health reasons - supposedly, their kids in particular had tough time with Bangalore weather. Some forms of allergy, I think.
Old 29th October 2019, 21:10   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Full article and source for images - Economic Times.

• High pollution and cost of living are the main drivers, with 9% willing to take more than 40% pay cut to shift, reveals the online survey.

• Pollution has clearly emerged as the top reason for wanting to shift out of a metro to a tier 2/3 city for most of the age groups.

• The urgency to move out is obvious, with 30% wanting to shift out in five years, and another 26% just waiting for the right job to come along.
Very interesting and evocative topic. Reminds me of a similar thread on another blog www.indiamike.com through which the OP, who was a young professional working in Noida had shown a desire, way back in 2009 to move with family and settle in the hills. The thread spread into many pages and many showed an inclination to head the same ways. IIRC the OP along the way abandoned the idea, however there was so much information shared by guys who had travelled down this path and settled in the hills that some people actually picked up parcels of land in the hills and a couple actually built dwellings in remote hills - related link.

Living in Tier 2 cities has its own benefits - clean air, less pollution, more contact with nature. And basic amenities and luxuries are also making their way into these cities. However lack of employment opportunities, not so well planned infrastructure and civic amenities, haphazard growth remain challenges.

All the same, here's some motivation for those who are looking to settle closer to nature away from the metros.
Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc059782.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc05672.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc05982.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc059692.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc057462.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc05980.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc058692.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc05856.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc05974.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc058662.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc05696.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc058682.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc05790_1.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc05785.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc057872.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc05775_1.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc05952.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc05682.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc05652.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc05642.jpg

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-dsc05718.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Voted for NO.

Reason = I love Bombay. In fact, I wouldn't leave Bombay for any city in India, or the world . Of course, it helps that I don't have too many of the big city problems either (e.g. no traffic-laden daily commute to work) or issue with property prices (family owns the building).

This city has my everything & I have my 'everyone' here.
Here's an ad, presumably from the 20s, about Bombay. (Picture courtesy : WhatsApp)

Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-img20191029wa0008.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 16th November 2019 at 09:25. Reason: As requested
Old 29th October 2019, 22:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

A few years ago I might have voted NO, but today I would definitely vote YES, and have done so. High speed internet and availability of online movies and other entertainment means that you can be busy in most tier 2 and possibly tier 3 cities very easily.

A place like Mysore has Ola/Uber, good medical care, will receive goods from Amazon/Snapdeal/Flipkart etc., has good educational institutes and is spacious and traffic-free when compared to tier-1 cities. The only problem today is job availability and low salaries.

For me personally, I will move back to either Mysore or Coorg once I can generate an income source to sustain myself.
Old 29th October 2019, 22:51   #35
BHPian

Those people who are apprehensive about moving to a smaller town because of poor internet connectivity. I get faster 4g in a Tier 4 town than a Tier 1 city.

In addition, Flipkart and Amazon deliver everywhere.

Regarding transport, most of the BHPians who have cars have plenty of space to park the cars, wash them whenever you want, water is abundant, and further labour is cheaper. Also, you don't need a good public transport system in a small town, as everything is within walkable distance only.

This is how it is where I live (a small town)

Nearest supermarket-600 mts
Nearest bank-10 mts
Nearest hospital-700mts
Nearest medical college-15mins
Nearest bus station-400mts
Nearest school-400mts
Nearest courier/post-400mts
Nearest police station-800mts
Nearest restaurant-100mts or Zomato it
Nearest hardware shop-30mts
Nearest multiplex-800mts
Nearest clothing store-600mts(Reliance and Max)
Nearest electronics shop-400mts
Nearest Samsung mobiles service center-1km

International Airport-45mins
Railway station- 1 hour

For BHPians
Nearest Maruti service-1.5km (there are 3 in the town)
Nearest VW service-5kms and 14kms
Nearest Toyota - 6kms
Nearest Honda-6kms and 17kms
Nearest Nexa-4kms and 10kms
Nearest Jeep-4kms and 14kms
Nearest Hyundai-3kms and 14kms
Nearest Ford-4kms
Nearest Tata-10kms
Nearest Mahindra-7kms

Bmw/Mercedes/Audi/JLR are there 1 hour away

Some issues with small towns
Good restaurants, with good ambience
Good quality higher education institutes
Libraries
Businesses may not grow much, as catchment population will be less. But then building rents are cheaper.

A small town is much better than living in a big city.

There is no stress and no need of worrying about Ola/Uber, everything is available in a few kilometers.

You don't have to book your car service. Just walk-in.
You can park you car inside your home and gear locks and clutch locks aren't necessary.

There is no shortage of water, and it's not hard water.

There is basically lesser pollution compared to a city.

What more do you want?
Metro city BHPians - Would you be willing to move to a smaller town?-screenshot_20191029221738__01.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 5th November 2019 at 20:56. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 29th October 2019, 23:06   #36
BHPian

The question is irrelevant to me, because I never lived in a metro!
In Pondicherry for 10 years now, lived in Chandigarh, Lucknow, Aluva, Trivandrum & Kottayam before ending up here. I don't want to even think of living in a Metro (like Chennai), especially coz I live in a spacious and green campus here. If one is fortunate enough to have a decent job in a non-tier 1 city and a decent place to live, I don't think anyone would think of living in a Metro. The truth is that you don't miss anything in a place like Pondy (and many other similar tier 2/3 cities/towns) and you lose a lot of things by moving to a metro.
Old 29th October 2019, 23:07   #37
BHPian

No got my vote. I'm way too entrenched in Mumbai. That too in lokhandwala! I've had jobs in various parts of town but just couldn't move. My existing plant is in khopoli but I've not even considered shifting to Vashi side! We have been here for 20+ years and the facilities within the location are brilliant - food, party, healthcare, movies, car service, malls etc.
Old 30th October 2019, 06:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Not me. Bangalore is the place where entire India is headed, and see unlimited potential. So as a Local, who was at the ground level of change - why should I shift? The weather is beautiful, all my childhood friends live here - so even though traffic is a nightmare (metro will sort that out), I'll stick it out. lol
Old 30th October 2019, 07:57   #39
BHPian

Yes, Real estate has gone out of bounds. I cannot imagine buying a house in Bangalore, neither I like to get indebted for life in a bank loan.

But my profession has got no choices. So I prefer the suburbs.
Old 30th October 2019, 08:04   #40
BHPian

Voted No.
I am born and raised in Mumbai and seen it change for the better and worse.
I have no plans to ever leave this city since my everything is here and I have adjusted to the fast paced life it offers.
One added advantage - my area never floods, It didn't flood even when we suffered the cloudburst incident in 2007.
I cannot adjust to the laid back lifestyle of Hyderabad, Bangalore or Mysore which I often visit.
I prefer the humidity, dust, dirt, noise and chaos that Mumbai offers in abundance.
The current infrastructure work going on in most arterial roads is making traffic unbearable nowadays but I know that in a couple of years, we would have a more robust Metro service and traffic hopefully would improve.
Old 30th October 2019, 08:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

I am a big fan of this idea, had thought about alternative places long time back, bought properties too. I am waiting for my daughter to finish her X, then will move out of Bangalore. Places like Magadi, CR Nagar, Huliyurdurga, Nagamangala, Kunigal can be good alternate locations. The road connectivity to Bangalore is excellent from these places.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th November 2019 at 20:59. Reason: Fixed.
Old 30th October 2019, 09:19   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
No got my vote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Voted for "NO".
Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Sir, you mirrored my exact thought. Nothing beats the charm of big cities especially ones like Bombay. It's like a very intricate timepiece with many complications. But at the end of the day, every piece of this complicated mechanism fulfills it's purpose, and the watch ticks on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Voted for NO.
Are we seeing a pattern here?. All mumbaikars have voted a Big No. Once a mumbaikar always a mumbaikar.

Another mixed pattern, Bangalore is 50:50.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th October 2019 at 17:09. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 30th October 2019, 11:12   #43
BHPian

Voted - Yes

Though question is very vague in defining a big city or a small city.
If it means shifting from Delhi to Noida or Meerut or Hapur - the answer is - No.
If it means shifting from Delhi to Pune (i dont know if both fall under big city or not) the answer is maybe.
But the answer is a definite Yes if moving from big city to a natural and calm town close to mountains or sea or jungle away from the hustle bustle and pollution.
Old 30th October 2019, 12:02   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
In a heartbeat, I will move to a tier II city.
I miss Mysore a lot. If my wife ever decides to quit her job in Bangalore, I will move the next day to Mysore.
Close to my parents, less pollution and traffic.
I sometimes reach Bangalore quicker from Mysore compared to certain within Bangalore distances.
This is something all Mysoreans will relate to. I miss the solitude that the city offers. My wife and I have considered moving back to Mysore in the last couple of years. Both sets of parents live there and it will make it easier for my 2 year old daughter as well.

The infrastructure in Mysore is not at all an issue. Very good roads, top notch healthcare facilities and commuting within the city is a breeze (except during Dasara). The social scene might not be as vibrant as Bangalore but it is not very bad either. Most importantly, the cost of living would be much lower.

If I were offered a job with a 10% paycut, I would move back in a heartbeat.
Old 30th October 2019, 12:17   #45
Senior - BHPian

I am born and brought up in a small town/village and have my everyone there. That said I do have home,work,friends relatives etc. here in Bangalore as well, but home is where heart is . To me if one has strong roots, base at the place you were born, you are bound to return back are higher, unless you build an empire/environment which is substantially bigger than the place you are born.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks