Team-BHP - H1B visa -Your Experience
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   H1B visa -Your Experience (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/21519-h1b-visa-your-experience-14.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 (Post 3670107)
Folks,

I didn't find any thread discussing L1 Visas, so posting my query here. Appreciate if you all can put some light on it.

What is the difference between L1 and L1 Blanket Visa ?
I am more interested in knowning what are the advantages of L1 Blanket over normal L1 ?
Which one is more flexible in terms of:

- Immigration / Applying Green Card
- Duration of stay initially
- Allowing spouse to work
- Allowing change of company while in US

L1 Blanket was created for large multinational companies, facilitating them to have an open petition that covers a larger number of visa applicants v/s going through the whole process every single time (L1 individual)

As a Visa holder it really doesn't matter if your visa was approved through individual or through a blanket petition.

There are two categories under L1. Multi national Manager / Executives (L1-A) & Specialized knowledge (L1-B). Typically, folks applying for Green card through L1-A status fall under the EB1 category (no labor market tests required) and once approved, the green card process is a lot faster. L1-B takes a little more time, but is still typically faster than H1.

L1 visas are intra company transfer (transfer within the company) and you cannot change jobs under this visa.

Spouses of L1 visas are granted L2 Visa and can work after they obtain the Employee Authorization Document (EAD)

I am doing some research about history of US work visas. I know H1B was created in late 1990, allowing foreign graduates to work in US without having to take the F1 or GC route.

Prior to that, was it was possible for an experienced foreign trained professional to move to US and start working there? If yes, it was under what Visa?

Sub- Renewal of H1B for self and Fly at Mumbai .
Hi!!

Would like to share my experience with 3 yearly/ mid term renewal of H1 visa.
Had to come back to India for that as suggested by the HR.
Filled up online DS160 form basis newly secured petition. We had thought we will have go through the same interview and biometrics procedure done in 2012 .
But were pleasantly surprised we were given interview waiver while filling the online DS 160 and used drop box facility. The visa / passport tracking tool was great and the renewed visa arrived at the drop box in just 5 days . Super efficient procedure.
All including my co bosses were greatly relieved since my employer is purely US based with no presence in India .
On entering , self came first and my Family came a week later. No problems what so ever. Were asked some questions to check authenticity for both.

Believe the visa lottery system was not in practice in 2012. Am lucky , I got approval in the 65k cap .

Thanks-

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3774395)
I am doing some research about history of US work visas. I know H1B was created in late 1990, allowing foreign graduates to work in US without having to take the F1 or GC route.

I do not think that is correct. According to Wikipedia, the H1B was created by the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naj (Post 3780229)
Sub- Renewal of H1B for self and Fly at Mumbai .
Hi!!

Would like to share my experience with 3 yearly/ mid term renewal of H1 visa.

Believe the visa lottery system was not in practice in 2012. Am lucky , I got approval in the 65k cap .

Thanks-

Isn't this just an extension? I guess extensions do not fall under the cap. Infact, if you have an approved "petition" then you would not be considered under the cap/lottery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjacob (Post 3781060)
I do not think that is correct. According to Wikipedia, the H1B was created by the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965.

If not created, there was significant changes made to it by the Immigration Act of 1990. I have never actually met anybody who had availed H1 before 1990. I was there in 1993 on H1B myself. What was it before 1990 is bit of a mystery, probably lot harder to avail.

Quote:

The H-lB category is also redefined to include only aliens employed in "specialty occupations" (occupations that require highly specialized knowledge and a bachelor's degree as a minimum for entry into the occupation).
Source: http://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/cgi/vie...70&context=ilj

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3781203)
If not created, there was significant changes made to it by the Immigration Act of 1990. I have never actually met anybody who had availed H1 before 1990. I was there in 1993 on H1B myself. What was it before 1990 is bit of a mystery, probably lot harder to avail.

Well, I do not know personally. But about half of my dad's class (graduates of the 1972 batch from CMC Vellore) are working at various locations here in the US. I could ask him what visa they came here on.

Hmm, interesting thread!!

I got thro the 2015 lottery, and am now waiting for the approval, to be followed by the stamping and the eventual relocation to wherever and whenever it happens. :)

As a previous H1B holder (and a current H1B applicant) and past resident of US for several years, I have gone through the process painfully and fruitfully as well. I would like to share my experiences for any specific questions or queries you may have, and vice versa. :)

Holy Cow! Visa fee for H1/L1 will be $4500 in future!!!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/50235277.cms

I remember it being $300 or $500, when dollar was in the 30s, and not in 60s like now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjacob (Post 3781214)
Well, I do not know personally. But about half of my dad's class (graduates of the 1972 batch from CMC Vellore) are working at various locations here in the US. I could ask him what visa they came here on.

From what I remember my Dad telling me, in those days the Indian medical graduates mostly would have entered through the ECFMG Route.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educat...ical_Graduates

Hi everyone,

Below is my H1-B stamping experience.
My case was issued RFE which was resolved in November. I went for my H1-b stamping on O7 Dec, Finger prints were taken on 04 Dec. OFC went as usual with one question.
Q: Reason for travel ?
A: H1-B

End of story.

Interview day:

I was nervous about interview seeing the huge crowd over there. Be atleast before 45min, as they were allowing people inside before 30 min.
My turn came:
Me: Good morning
VO: which client ?

Me: internal project
VO: what is it ?

Me: Said name of project
VO: what do you do?(I thought what are your duties there)

Me: Started telling responsibilities and duties.
VO: interrupted me and asked about how they are related to my current internal project.(I said requirement gathering and analysis for which she asked what requirements will be there for an internal project ?)

Me: Explained her that those are my general duties. In this current project i am working as a XXX.
VO: How will your duties differ in US from here ?

Me: (I got nervous) Said interacting more with clients along with other duties.
VO: What is the need for your presence there?

Me:(Thought i am done) Told her that i had experience working for multiple clients. I will be working for any prospective client once the opportunity comes.
VO: She asked what is the use or intended audience for this project ?

Me: Explained about it in detail.
VO: What is your salary?

Me: told.
VO: Do you have this pamphlet?

Me: Yes Mam.
VO: Your visa is approved.

My mistake is i started explaining my general role and responsibilities for the question what do you do ?

Instead i should have just told her i am XXX developer.

Guys just be cool. Because if you are nervous, then even simplest of questions will appear complicated.
(I even thought i did not wish her mam so she asked me so many questions. haha stupid:)

I asked her to repeat the question couple of times when i did not understand it. Even it is written on instructions board to do the same, rather than assuming something else.

Keep your cool. I have seen people who started confidently got their stamping done with barely 3 or 4 questions. Be positive. Good luck to all of you.

Just remember they cannot reject a H1-B candidate. At the max they will issue a pink slip asking for more details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3873551)
Holy Cow! Visa fee for H1/L1 will be $4500 in future!!!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/50235277.cms

I remember it being $300 or $500, when dollar was in the 30s, and not in 60s like now.

The article missed an important point. The hike is not across the board. It has been hiked only for those companies that have more than 50 employees in US AND have more than 50% of their workforce on H1/L1 visas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitoj (Post 3875834)
The article missed an important point. The hike is not across the board. It has been hiked only for those companies that have more than 50 employees in US AND have more than 50% of their workforce on H1/L1 visas.

Which is all Indian tech giants.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackasta (Post 3875839)
Which is all Indian tech giants.

And all the body shoppers.

The tech giants can probably afford the hike. But not the poor H1B applicants to whom they may eventually pass on the cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitoj (Post 3875848)
And all the body shoppers.

The tech giants can probably afford the hike. But not the poor H1B applicants to whom they may eventually pass on the cost.

Easy for body shoppers to bypass this rule.
Create a holding company in US, create 2-3 or more fully owned companies under that , and trade as one of those by taking care that 'bodies' being 'shopped' does not exceed 50 under any of your multiple entities.