Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2017, 20:08   #271
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: H1B visa -Your Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
True - what i meant to say is that if there is 1 position for a job, and a foreigner gets it, he too is paying tax. So the country is not losing any revenue from income tax.
In case of something being bought from abroad for personal consumption, govt loses the revenue (sales tax/vat etc) it would have otherwise charged on domestically made product, and hence compensates for the same by charging a customs duty.
Actually when someone imports and sells it - he pays both the custom duty and the sales tax/vat.
Old 1st February 2017, 20:24   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Actually when someone imports and sells it - he pays both the custom duty and the sales tax/vat.
I mentioned personal consumption in my post.
Old 1st February 2017, 22:11   #273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I think he meant companies like Accenture and IBM that have huge operations in India. If the IT salaries in India are indeed going to tank, these companies only stand to profit more from that. No?
Yes, they will benefit from the general decline in salaries, in the short term. But I am too wary of making any long term predictions. Too many variables at play.

Can Indian IT services survive on outsourcing alone? Current model of outsourcing requires quite a bit of online presence, which has suddenly become expensive. Will the outsourcing process evolve and adapt to the new situation? Hard to say...
Old 4th February 2017, 08:39   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually, these are very fair terms, for both H1-B and American employees.
True, but it appears it's just a prelude of things to come.
Well, at least the practice of some of the Indian IT "majors" who carpet bomb the visa lottery hoping to snag H1Bs will come to a stop
Old 27th May 2017, 11:47   #275
Team-BHP Support

http://www.pathlegal.in/Bill-seeking...copied-1040896

Expect sudden increase in desi PhD candidates in US universities... Ok, may be not. Phd in stem is not a joke, at least in US.
Old 12th July 2017, 21:17   #276
BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

My Job hunt experience in US for last 2 months in H1B visa.
Trying to apply to all direct employment opportunity in all job sites which i got from friends. I am a certified AWS Solutions architect associate and working on same. And number of opportunities are more compared to other technologies. When i say that i am under H1B, all employers except consultancies are denying it. Can see news on layoffs, call back to india from parent companies, zero % appraisals for being at onsite etc.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 26th October 2017 at 00:45.
Old 26th October 2017, 00:33   #277
Team-BHP Support

The Trump administration is making it more difficult for employment-based visa holders to extend their status in the USA.

Source

Does this affect people who have applied for GC and must extend the H1B to stay in the country?
Old 26th October 2017, 00:53   #278
Team-BHP Support

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The Trump administration is making it more difficult for employment-based visa holders to extend their status in the USA.

Source

Does this affect people who have applied for GC and must extend the H1B to stay in the country?
Unless the HR670 law passes which means shorter waiting lists, creating a life in USA on H1 type of Visa with house purchase etc., is foolhardy. Be ready to pack up and leave should be the motto. Do not get too comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
My Job hunt experience in US for last 2 months in H1B visa.
Trying to apply to all direct employment opportunity in all job sites which i got from friends. I am a certified AWS Solutions architect associate and working on same. And number of opportunities are more compared to other technologies. When i say that i am under H1B, all employers except consultancies are denying it. Can see news on layoffs, call back to india from parent companies, zero % appraisals for being at onsite etc.
Is your role more of Operations (Dev-ops type). Then the cause could be more related to how all this work is being outsourced to consultancies.

The reason is simple. If you do it yourself, and there is a breach which leads to problem, management heads roll. However, if its all outsourced, you can deflect the blame.
Old 26th October 2017, 03:27   #279
Senior - BHPian

Saw this week that a group is trying to make changes to the quota for each country under the green card process. Lets see if we do notice any change as the H1B visa holders have no voting rights.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/interna...le19908410.ece

Maddy
Old 17th November 2017, 02:53   #280
BHPian

Landed in US by April-2017 and was able to switch employer. Joined an organization where the H1B employee count was lesser. I got extension for 3 years from here. However the previous employer(IT Major) was struggling with extension as the customers were not giving contracts for 6-12 Months. And many of them were ended up in RFEs
Old 13th March 2020, 13:52   #281
BHPian

I didnt find a different thread for this so am putting it here.
Trying for US visitors visa after getting Canadian confirmation of PR (COPR)

My background: I was born in Qatar. 37 years old. Ive been to US as a kid and had two visitor visa’s stamped in my old passports earlier (when i was much younger). All my brothers, sisters and parents have valid US visiting visa’s . I have been to Europe twice in the past two years and to China in 2014 (travel history is good). I currently work for a respected MNC in Bangalore. My wife,kids and I, We got COPR and single entry canadian visa in december 2019

I have close relatives in USA and thought since we are moving to canada it would be nice to pop across the border to visit them sometimes. So applied for a US visit for me and the kids. Interview date of 28 feb. (My wife already has a US visit visa from an earlier trip)

At the visa office in Chennai getting to the interview counter was a breeze, since i had kids with me (7,4 yrs old) My prep was based on confidence built from the fact that i had a COPR already, so getting a US visit visa should not be a problem

That was where i was wrong

The lady at the counter was polite enough and started with the questions

Q. Who are you visiting?
A. (I was startled with the question since i expected ‘ why are you going?’) I will be visiting my uncle.

Q.is he a green card or a citizen?
A. He is a citizen, he’s been there for a long time

Q. So you have been to the US before..
A. Yes, as a kid

Q. How long will be your stay
A. Two weeks. But i will be coming in between also

Q. (Turns to look at me) Why is that?
A. See we got this PR for Canada so we will be moving soon, so thought it would good to visit the family in between.

Q. (Looking at me over her glasses) I see, so you are emigrating from India, to canada and you want a US visit visa

A. (Im puzzled) Yes..?

Q. Hmm what about your job there? (In canada) How does it work?

A. I havent got a job there, so my wife and I will go to canada this April and search for jobs. I dont have much options there, but she has a better chance.

Q. What about your kids? Will you take them to canada with you?

A. First me and my wife will go, then Ill follow with the kids

She gets up twice to talk to a serious guy behind her and then comes back and types into the computer. Realisation dawns on me that I have throughly screwed it up. I look at my kids and smile at them. They smile back at me. Some solace.

She speaks: So I wont be able to give you a visa at this time, please try again after two years from Canada. Have a nice stay there!

I thank her and walk quickly out to my waiting wife outside. She cant believe that we didnt get it. On the long drive back to Bangalore, we go over the answers and arrive at this conclusion

1. If i see my answers, I could have stopped at the first line and need not have gone to the next sentence

2. An US interviewer is instructed to find out if you intend to illegally stay with a US visit visa. This is explicitly mentioned in their site itself. So a jobless guy (even if from Canada) is a potential overstayer.

What i could have done

1. Stick to one sentence answers where possible.
2. Answer to the point
3. Prepare while thinking from the interviewers angle: what she saw is a guy who has no prospects of a job or anyone to come back to in India or Canada.
4. I could have kept the Camada PR part out unless she specifically asked about it. I had a good job in India and had no reason to overstay in US.

She tried to redeem me several times but my big ‘sathya -harishchandra-meets-motor-mouth’ mouth just dug the hole deeper.

So now me and our kids cannot visit US for atleast another two years.
nijelj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 07:47   #282
r.K
BHPian

Hi guys. Would like the interview experience of anyone here who has taken up the visa interview recently H1/L1? Kindly share your experience - questions asked, was there an ask for additional documents, etc.
Old 30th January 2024, 17:01   #283
Team-BHP Support

Old 31st January 2024, 11:11   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
I didnt find a different thread for this so am putting it here.
Trying for US visitors visa after getting Canadian confirmation of PR (COPR)
My personal experience, with the US folks in general!

1. Stick to the point, no need of a prologue or epilogue

2. Avoid any unnecessary explanation or detailed description

3. Don't try to fool the officer and neither try to patronize simply because "amreekan"

In your case, I think, the fact that you did not demonstrate your financial stability and the fact that you were immigrating to Canada, probably led the visa officer to believe that you might enter and then remain in the US!

I had read somewhere on their webpage or on a brochure that by default the visa officer believes that the applicant is permanently trying to stay back in the US and the onus lies on us to prove them otherwise.

Should have simply applied from when in Canada and it would have been a cakewalk for you!

My 2 cents!

Last edited by vb-saan : 31st January 2024 at 12:20. Reason: Please avoid quoting a full long post. Thank you!

Most Viewed